PDA

View Full Version : What to buy???? F3T or F3Limited ????????

FIRECAT
03-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Looking for opinions on which Spyder to purchase either the F3 T or the limited????I’m 57 years old and the limited looks grandpaish. but very practical as I do lots of highway trips and planning to go to Alaska maybe this summer how hard is it to remove the top case and would I want to?

johnv50
03-03-2019, 09:19 AM
I have an F3 Limited and use the trunk every ryde I take, would not be without it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Looking for opinions on which Spyder to purchase either the F3 T or the limited????I’m 57 years old and the limited looks grandpaish. but very practical as I do lots of highway trips and planning to go to Alaska maybe this summer how hard is it to remove the top case and would I want to?

Personally speaking I tend to be Frugal and the Limited has gee-gaaws I don't need …. So the radio on the "T" version is what I like …. Also consider ALL the complaints on the 2018 models about the RADIO …. ( BRP fixed a non-problem and it made it a problem :gaah: ) ….. I haven't heard from anyone that they fixed this in the 2019 models ….. So IMHO the 16-17 versions are the better choice …… Mike :ohyea:

JS3535
03-03-2019, 10:09 AM
My next Spyder is going to be the F3 Limited & I’m only 40. Storage is great when you are traveling long distance. You can get the Limited with everything already on it or spend thousands adding it like I did.

PW2013STL
03-03-2019, 11:13 AM
For us it was the limited due to the top box. If we had purchased the T and thenn added the top box it would have cost us more then the limited did. F3's are already short on storage so the top box makes sence.

Highwayman2013
03-03-2019, 11:37 AM
169732We got a 2016 F3 Limited which came without the trunk. You can always add an aftermarket trunk and rack if you want and save some money over the BRP trunk, so F3T.

Chupaca
03-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Will all depend on your likes and your budget. Mechanically and ergonmically they are the same. Just the little things like storage colors etc. Remember you can add your own storage and other items as you like and at a price more suited to a tight budget....this one can't even be fixed with a test ryde...:roflblack:

RICZ
03-03-2019, 12:52 PM
You heard from the youngsters, now here's a guy in his 80s chiming in. After 67 years on two wheels, Father Time sez, no more of that for you, so it's a Spyder for staying in the wind. Don't care for trikes or sidecars. I was seriously thinking about getting the RT, but my dealer had a new, left over '17 at a huge discount and besides, it does look a lot more zoomier! I like that the rider's floorboards are adjustable 5 positions fore and aft - the come from the factory in the middle (#3) position and had to go to #4 to be comfortable. As a first time Spyder rider, I am extremely pleased with my purchase. And good luck to you, Firecat.

Crossbow
03-03-2019, 01:25 PM
I have F3 t carry luggage bag when riding alone, wife with me put bag on luggage BRP rack. Like the bag when at hotel undo strap and carry it in.also when riding alone use bag as backrest. Works for me.

dondje
03-03-2019, 02:27 PM

I just like the look of the F3T without the top case better. However, I took a trip last fall and bought a rack and borrowed my daughter’s top case. I needed a secure place to store my 17” laptop. This case has a lockable quick release that with a push of a button, it comes off the rack and becomes a suit case. Really like that feature to take into hotel room. I am currently working on a quick release for the rack so that I can quickly get back to the clean F3T look. I had no desire for the F3L heated grips, small floor boards, or the air compressor driven auto rear shock. More things to go wrong and I wanted better after market floor boards.

Regards,

Don

BryanSD
03-03-2019, 03:43 PM
You mentioned traveling to Alaska and it looks like you live in Canada. Living with a longer cold season the one thing I couldn't do without is heated grips which are included in the Limited F3 and Limited RT. If you opt for the F3-T, I'd ask your dealer how much more for them to install the heated grips (front or front/rear).

RICZ
03-03-2019, 03:52 PM
I find a heated seat indefensible. Once you ride with one, you will never want a bike without heat i the seat. It warms you way better than even a heated jacket liner - I know. Nothing better than just flicking a switch and not having to stop and do a clothing adjustment. Well worth the $.

JP58
03-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Besides the trunk, floorboards, heated grips. You get 2 more stereo speakers in the trunk which sounds better and automatic air ride system which I do not think the F3T has. The factory top case can be removed in 5-10 minutes. Very easy. You did not mention if you have a passenger on your trips. Syderpops makes a trunk extender to move the trunk back 4". Wife loves the room it gives.

Michaelscs
03-03-2019, 05:51 PM
There is a performance advantage to the F3-T that no one as mentioned. The T has a larger rear sprocket (like the F3S) than the Limited.
It will have noticeably better acceleration over the Limited. If performance is a priority, that is certainly something to consider.

Bruce B
03-03-2019, 06:37 PM
There is a performance advantage to the F3-T that no one as mentioned. The T has a larger rear sprocket (like the F3S) than the Limited.
It will have noticeably better acceleration over the Limited. If performance is a priority, that is certainly something to consider.

Sorry but they all now have the 79 tooth rear drives, to check this is correct all you have to do is go to this web site.

http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=9e5e1f03-ad58-49f1-8fb9-8f6f95afb016

LifeLongRider
03-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Besides the trunk, floorboards, heated grips. You get 2 more stereo speakers in the trunk which sounds better and automatic air ride system which I do not think the F3T has. The factory top case can be removed in 5-10 minutes. Very easy. You did not mention if you have a passenger on your trips. Syderpops makes a trunk extender to move the trunk back 4". Wife loves the room it gives.

What he said! :2thumbs:

SpyderF3
03-03-2019, 08:31 PM
I agree with the sleek look without the rear cargo but the storage out weights the benefit of having that storage. For myself it holds 2 full face helmets if we are out and about and run into rain. My wife likes the additional speakers and definitely the back rest.

Michaelscs
03-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Sorry but they all now have the 79 tooth rear drives, to check this is correct all you have to do is go to this web site.

http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=9e5e1f03-ad58-49f1-8fb9-8f6f95afb016

Bummer, didn't realize they changed it for 2019. Well, for a performance advantage, buy a 2018 or older F3-T!

grumpyoldretiredcop
03-04-2019, 12:08 AM
Another age-challenged (OK, old) rider here. I bought a leftover 2017 F3T. Just got done installing the factory trunk (ignore the faint screaming, that's just my wallet - and my back) and if I could have done so, I'd have bought an F3L for the trunk if nothing else. Luckily for me, I got the F3T at a bargain price, so adding the trunk brings me up to the non-leftover F3T price. With luck and a bit of searching, you may find a leftover that will make the additional price easier to swallow.

blacklightning
03-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Bummer, didn't realize they changed it for 2019. Well, for a performance advantage, buy a 2018 or older F3-T!
:agree: I went with a 2016 F3T and added the heated grips and audio. I definitely like the performance advantage of the larger sprocket. Now I know that I would definitely not want the smaller one on the newer models.

JP58
03-04-2019, 12:29 PM
:agree: I went with a 2016 F3T and added the heated grips and audio. I definitely like the performance advantage of the larger sprocket. Now I know that I would definitely not want the smaller one on the newer models.
Anyone that wants the larger sprocket can just buy one. I wouldn't want the higher rpms on the highway.

308gunner
03-04-2019, 12:43 PM
get the f3 touring. 2018 or earlier.

dondje
03-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Anyone that wants the larger sprocket can just buy one. I wouldn't want the higher rpms on the highway.

The sprocket and belt are several hundreds of dollars. As for the higher rpm@speed. That was an initial concern of mine when I was doing pre-purchase research. From what I have read here and on FB, and later my experience, 70mph might actually get better mpg with the larger sprocket. With 4k rpm being a better sweet spot for mpg. I haven't ridden an F3 with the smaller sprocket, just an RT. I have ridden with others with RT and newer F3LTD and the F3T with the larger sprocket blows the doors off the smaller sprocket Spyders all the way to 8k rpm - especially (2) up. The larger sprocket also has a better punch when it comes to passing.

Regards,

Don

gnorthern
03-07-2019, 12:59 PM
I like how much I can carry with an aftermarket luggage rack on an F3-T (BRP luggage rack is small and slants). I used to really load it down (I just bought a Lees-ure Lite making it obsolete). You can buy convenient top loading drybags.

johnsimion
03-07-2019, 01:49 PM
My next Spyder is going to be the F3 Limited & I’m only 40. Storage is great when you are traveling long distance. You can get the Limited with everything already on it or spend thousands adding it like I did.

IMO storage is great whether you are traveling long distance or across town. If you take your wife to the shopping mall on the Spyder even ONE time, you'll appreciate the storage. It's also useful to hold your air pump and tire repair kit, water, an extra coat, a lockable place for your wife's purse, etc. etc. Even if you never use the storage for anything more than storing your helmet while you eat, you'll appreciate having it. I have an RT and all four storage compartments are always FULL. In some ways I wish I had an F3 LTD because that trunk is so much more useful than the RT's trunk.

Cruzr Joe
03-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Go with the F3-Limited for all the extras, heated grips, floor Boards, Box, auto air ride suspension, heavier rear shock, etc. etc.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Cruzr Joe

k8sdad
03-07-2019, 10:25 PM
what brand of trunk is that? where did you get it and if you don't mind how much did it cost? Thanks!!!

k8sdad
03-07-2019, 10:29 PM
I think I recognize the rack. MBL? who makes the top case? Thanks!!!

k8sdad
03-07-2019, 10:34 PM
Here is a fact that probably no one cares about. My 2018 F3T turns 3500 RPM at 60 MPH. I rode an F3L and it turns 3100 RPM at 60 MPH. Smaller rear sprocket is visible on L model. Also, as most of you know, but since the the post asks the question, the L has a more sensitive nanny system, presumably because of more top weight due to the trunk and therefore more roll. Thanks, Steve

RICZ
03-07-2019, 11:01 PM
I just came off of a Victory that revs at 2200 @ 60 mph. That 1330 revs higher up the tach than I'm used to, but I learned that the engineers that designed that engine and selected the gear ratios know more than I do.

GRUNT
03-08-2019, 06:30 PM
I’ve owned both 2018 F3 Limited and sold it 8 months later and purchased a 2018 F3-T.. Yes the extra space was great for carrying my helmet which I hardly ever wear being in Florida but I couldn’t stand how stiff it was compared to the 2017 F3-S I originally owned. So I bought the F3-T hoping it would still have a great ride which is does. It’s not as bulky feeling and I love it. I almost went back to an F3-S but wanted the radio... I know this might sound goofy but I like this radio better and it only has 4 speakers compared to 6 on the Limited. My wife also enjoys riding again, she didn’t like the Limited.

I’ve purchased 3 new Spyders in 2 years and I’ve learned 2 things. The re sale sucks and all 3 dealers which were different every time had HORRIBLE product knowledge and service. If you live in NE Florida Ride Now in Gainesville by far has the best service department. Eric is the manager and I pay extra to by pass 2 other dealers in Jacksonville who SUCK... Buying one of these is mostly about finding a legit service department. After 3 separate buying experiences I have a lot of history to choose from. Good luck...

Skups
03-08-2019, 06:45 PM
I've only had my 2018 F3 Limited for about 1 month now and I love it! And most importantly, my wife loves it. We both like the hand warmers and the extra storage for all our stuff is fabulous. We go to the grocery store and pick up a few items and never have to worry about, "do we have enough room on the bike?" I'm 47 years young and I don't give a s**t what people think or say. Actually, I've had quite a few complements! I went with the intense red & chrome, wouldn't trade it for anything, well maybe an RT.

_..stiffler..
03-08-2019, 09:02 PM
I just bought a 2018 F3 Limited. Yes the acceleration is not as good as the T. But to put the trunk on the T it’s like $2500. And with the limited just get an ecu flash for about 400. Then the limited is even better than the T. And you save $2000. Plus more add one. Also the limited rear seat for the passenger is way more comfortable than the T. My wife was sore after riding on my F3S which has the same seat as the T.

When I ride around town or small rides I take the rear box off. Long trips with my wife I put it back on.

Removing the trunk literally takes me 5 mins.

-you remove the passenger seat
-open the lid and remove two screws under the rubber mat
-tilt the trunk up towards the front
-unplug the 2 big plugs the fm radio antenna and the USB connectors for inside the box.
-undo the safety strap (you will see it)
-remove the rear box and then remove the mount and you’re done.

The limited does not come with the rear cowl faring that the T has. To order you need to order from a T. I was able to buy one from a guy on here for cheap that had a T and out a rear box on.

But get one thrown in with the deal when you buy.

Other than that you will love the L.

Wife loves heated grips in the rear (T does not have) comfort of the rear seat etc etc.

Look at my garage and you can see pics of my limited with and without the box.

Any questions ask.

Stiff

Scotts8826
03-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Another topic for this discussion. If you long distance travel 2-up and go with the F3-T, the price difference between an F3-T and F3-Limited will allow you to buy a trailer to pull. Sportier look around town and more luggage room for trips.

JS3535
03-09-2019, 09:39 AM
I would rather have a huge rear trunk on the bike rather than pull a trailer around all the time.

Musashi
03-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Looking at the F3 for my next Spyder and just wanted to say this thread was pretty educational. Thanks to everyone who posted.

al0vely
03-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Firecat - what did you get or decide to get?

Navvet
03-20-2019, 02:20 PM
We bought a 2016 F3 so a trunk was not an option. A little metal work and an aftermarket trunk and it is great.

Put the key in and push a button and the trunk is a suitcase. What could be better.

k8sdad
03-21-2019, 08:30 PM
FYI: rear sprocket on the LTD is smaller making the gearing taller. I have an F3T which turns 3500 RPM at 60 MPH whereas the LTD turns 3100 at the same speed. This is no doubt meaningless in real life. Also the nanny system is more invasive on the LTD apparently because of the added top weight and expected weight of contents in the trunk which translates to additional "roll". Probably meaningless too but just sayin.

bikerbillone
03-22-2019, 04:25 AM
I just like the look of the F3T without the top case better. However, I took a trip last fall and bought a rack and borrowed my daughter’s top case. I needed a secure place to store my 17” laptop. This case has a lockable quick release that with a push of a button, it comes off the rack and becomes a suit case. Really like that feature to take into hotel room. I am currently working on a quick release for the rack so that I can quickly get back to the clean F3T look. I had no desire for the F3L heated grips, small floor boards, or the air compressor driven auto rear shock. More things to go wrong and I wanted better after market floor boards.

Regards,

Don

Sure like the idea of that top case, but seems no way for the two up person back there.

LifeLongRider
03-22-2019, 07:31 AM

For what it's worth, I have an F3 Limited and love the top case. Huge compared to others I've had. I also have a BRP driver's backrest, love that too. Here's the catch: there is only 11" between the drivers backrest and the passenger backrest on the trunk, which is OK with me because I'm strictly a solo rider. Even removing the driver's backrest that would only add another 2" of space. Don't know about you but that just ain't enough unless you're both really small people. The only solution I can see is to install the SpyderPops top case extension/seat extender. Not cheap but would give another 5" of space. Just my 2 cents.

dondje
03-22-2019, 09:41 AM
We bought a 2016 F3 so a trunk was not an option. A little metal work and an aftermarket trunk and it is great.

Put the key in and push a button and the trunk is a suitcase. What could be better.

Life is full of compromises. I bought the same top case for my daughter, but borrowed for my F3T. I like being able to quickly detach for suit case into hotel or to just remove when I want the sportier look. I just don’t like the base mount look. Better than the F3L top case to have suit case/quick release option though.

Regards,

Don

dondje
03-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Sure like the idea of that top case, but seems no way for the two up person back there.

With the BRP passenger back rest removed. You can mount the top case as far back as needed to passenger more room.

Regards,

Don

al0vely
03-22-2019, 01:52 PM
With the BRP passenger back rest removed. You can mount the top case as far back as needed to passenger more room.

Regards,

Don

I have your same setup - we lost the antenna relocation bracket :banghead: during the install though.

k8sdad
03-22-2019, 10:11 PM
as you say. I rode a 17 LTD and compared to my 18 T. definite difference in RPM....at 60 mph 3500 for the T and 3100 for the LTD. Did they change it for 19?

k8sdad
03-22-2019, 10:12 PM
sooooo...what brand is your top case?

k8sdad
03-22-2019, 10:14 PM
what brand is the top case?

jbim
03-22-2019, 10:34 PM
I have an F3 Limited and use the trunk every ryde I take, would not be without it.

same here + 1

al0vely
03-22-2019, 11:37 PM
sooooo...what brand is your top case?

Assume you are talking about the Autoinbox case ...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPZXMLJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3APWQW9S69yQUH&psc=1

amcvay1979
03-29-2019, 02:19 PM
For the money, just get the Limited. If you buy the T and then want to add a trunk case, it's cost prohibitive. Much less expensive than just getting the limited off the bat. I'm 40 and rode the RT-S for 3 months before trading it for a new F3L and don't regret it one bit. Much more room, more comfortable. Added the spyderpops trunk extender so even more room. Best purchase I've ever made, such a joy to ride.

GaryinWI
04-03-2019, 03:06 PM
My ‘17 F3L is my 3rd touring bike with rear trunk. All have been removable but have never taken any off even for a day ride. The side bags don’t hold much so the trunk becomes main storage on a trip. In fact my rain gear pretty much takes up one side. On daily rides nice to hold helmet, extra coat, etc.

While the automatic suspension is not required, it sure is nice. Have heard it can be mechanically problematic but so far no issues. BTW I am so glad I have older (pre 2018) instrument cluster. New ones seem have lots of issues.

rtotten
04-04-2019, 02:49 PM
If I hadn't got a such a great deal on my Limited, I would have bought the T and put a shad box on it... the box isn't worth the difference. Besides the top, is flimsy when opened and the latch is a joke, that is going to be the first thing that breaks. Coming from an RT, the heated hand grips, the F3 are a joke, luke warm at best. Not that I am not trilled with my F3L.. I am... just not happy with the box lid, could have been better designed. Why not use the same heat grips that the RT has?

RNBOB
04-04-2019, 03:06 PM

I also have 2016 F3L but I have brp adjustable passenger backrest that my wife loves. I also already own GIVI 55L trunk that I would love to mount. Did you make the rack the trunk is mounted to? What mounting points did you use? Any info would be appreciated.:bowdown:
Thanks, Bob

JP58
04-04-2019, 07:39 PM
If I hadn't got a such a great deal on my Limited, I would have bought the T and put a shad box on it... the box isn't worth the difference. Besides the top, is flimsy when opened and the latch is a joke, that is going to be the first thing that breaks. Coming from an RT, the heated hand grips, the F3 are a joke, luke warm at best. Not that I am not trilled with my F3L.. I am... just not happy with the box lid, could have been better designed. Why not use the same heat grips that the RT has?
I put the brp luggage rack on top. Really stiffen the lid up so it closes better.

al0vely
04-05-2019, 12:11 AM
I also have 2016 F3L but I have brp adjustable passenger backrest that my wife loves. I also already own GIVI 55L trunk that I would love to mount. Did you make rack that trunk is mounted to? What mounting points did you use? Any info would be appreciated.:bowdown:
Thanks, Bob

You can use the MBL Innovations rack - I have it works perfect !
https://mblinnovations.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmbl-f3-luggage-rack

RICZ
04-05-2019, 12:39 AM
just not happy with the box lid, could have been better designed.
This rack stiffened the lid, acts as a handle and is so good looking on my F3L it should have come from the factory with it. Lamonster has it.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5qu/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/405/1782/2017-11-16_09-59-19__35587.1510848772.jpg?c=2

RNBOB
04-05-2019, 07:17 AM
You can use the MBL Innovations rack - I have it works perfect !
https://mblinnovations.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmbl-f3-luggage-rack

MBL rack does not work with BRP adjustable passenger backrest. I wish, that's a nice looking rack.

coffenut
04-05-2019, 11:45 AM

How difficult is it to remove the top case? Is that 5-10 minutes for someone who knows what they are doing or 5-10 minutes for someone who has to keep hiring professions to fix what she tried to do herself? Asking for a friend. <G>

JP58
04-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Coffeenut. There is only 2 screws to remove inside the trunk under the mat. Then lift trunk up on its pivot. Then unplug USB plug and disconnect antenna and 1 nut for ground strap. Take trunk off by moving toward rear. Best to have a helper to lift off pivots. There is a tail cover you can by from brp. Its what's on the F3T. Its really not hard to remove.

SpyderF3
04-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Coffeenut. There is only 2 screws to remove inside the trunk under the mat. Then lift trunk up on its pivot. Then unplug USB plug and disconnect antenna and 1 nut for ground strap. Take trunk off by moving toward rear. Best to have a helper to lift off pivots. There is a tail cover you can by from brp. Its what's on the F3T. Its really not hard to remove.

I have the tail cover in black from my 16' F3T that I removed when I put the rear cargo on. Pm me if anyone is interested in buying one.

jbim
04-10-2019, 05:43 AM
I have a Limited and love the additional top case storage. Use it very ride. Not sure a full face helmet fits in the side cases. I was hesitating as well when I bought mine and what convinced me is the resale value of mods. If you build up your T to be an L, you won't recoup your money ans people who want an L buy an L not a modified T. Unless of course there is a cost advantage, in which case you are the one financing the cost advantage for the new buyer.

ChicagoSpyder
04-14-2019, 10:19 AM
I have a Limited and love the additional top case storage. Use it very ride. Not sure a full face helmet fits in the side cases. I was hesitating as well when I bought mine and what convinced me is the resale value of mods. If you build up your T to be an L, you won't recoup your money ans people who want an L buy an L not a modified T. Unless of course there is a cost advantage, in which case you are the one financing the cost advantage for the new buyer.

Hey Lacat, are you going to tell us what you decided to buy?

You know I went black/chrome :yes:

RPMF3L
04-16-2019, 03:25 PM
2017 F3 limited I use the top case every time I ride wouldn't be without it

TraceyinOhio
04-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Dondje: Can I ask what brand/model top case that is that you used?