PDA

View Full Version : Pyder gone Lame

Pandy
02-28-2019, 06:46 AM
It started with slamming into gear and stalling. You could get it out of gear with the secret wrench trick (in the manual) but never knew when it would do it again. So, at this juncture is a 2011 RTS, purchased this day, new out of the crate,with every one of the now >62K miles put on by us.
The nut of it all is this, having all but ruled out the clutch, looking at an internal transmission failure. Rather an expensive fix for an aged Spyder that no one is really interested in anymore since the newer updated models came out.So, what,I put to the community, are possible options for a rather large paperweight. No use in any parting out conversation. Asbestos suit is ready.

Peter Aawen
02-28-2019, 08:01 AM
Have you checked to see if anyone is wrecking/parting out anything similar? Here in Aus I reckon there a now couple of motorcycle wrecking places that are buying dead Spyders, dismantling them, & selling used parts. Might be worth a shot, surely there's gotta be more of them getting old & heading for the wreckers yard over there in your part of the world? ;)

Or maybe you could buy new replacement parts & have a go a rebuilding the clutch & transmission yourself? Either way, what've you really got to lose? :dontknow:

Grandpot
02-28-2019, 08:18 AM
Wow, Patric, you really have had your share of troubles. Parting it out or selling it to a salvage company would be the way to go. I just had my brake master cylinder go out and got a used one from a company in Ohio. At least you will recoup something.

Pandy
02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Wow, Patric, you really have had your share of troubles. Parting it out or selling it to a salvage company would be the way to go. I just had my brake master cylinder go out and got a used one from a company in Ohio. At least you will recoup something.

You want it?

pegasus1300
02-28-2019, 10:57 AM
I don't think internal transmission failure is your problem. Your description of your problem sounds more like an actuation problem. I don't know much about that end of the Spyder, but that's where I would start looking.

Chupaca
02-28-2019, 11:07 AM
:agree: Would not give up yet. if it is going into gear and ryding fine with the exception of the issue you mention I would also suspect something in the paddle or actuator or a computer issue. Check to see if all the updates have been done especially for the SE models. if a dealer estimate of the problem and or solution is out of the question then move on to the value (blue book , NADA) and part it out or sell as is for a project byke or parts byke.... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-28-2019, 01:19 PM
Yes, the shift actuator may have gone South. That happened on both my 2010 and 2014 RT's.

That is an easy fix...if that is the problem.

Pandy
02-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Yes, the shift actuator may have gone South. That happened on both my 2010 and 2014 RT's.

That is an easy fix...if that is the problem.

Okay,how easy. Does it require BUDS?

ARtraveler
02-28-2019, 01:51 PM

The problem happens when the attachment nut gets loose or comes off. I do not believe they needed BUDS to complete the fix. Just re-attach the nut and it should work. Sorry, but that's as mechanical as I can get on this one.

Grandpot
02-28-2019, 03:16 PM

If you need BUDS, I have it a system.

Pandy
02-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Well it just so happens that the tools needed to tighten the aforementioned loose nut are part of the Benz tool locker. I'll look into this soon and see just what happens.