PDA

View Full Version : Where do you download your music from..........

wyliec
02-27-2019, 09:22 AM
that you have on your phone, and listen too while riding/driving. Are they thru purchase or a site on the internet?

Zip
02-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Youtube

Bob Denman
02-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Sirius XM, and Spotify

Trbayth
02-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Google Play Music sub. Can stream or download pretty much anything.

Pirate looks at --
02-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Sadly, I own all 16000 songs that we listen too. They are currently residing as CDs in my office, or on iTunes, and all songs are accessed through iCloud!

seaweed
02-27-2019, 12:00 PM
I like Bluegrass so I get mine from https://www.accuradio.com/bluegrass/ but you can get other types of genres from just going to https://www.accuradio.com.

Pirate looks at --
02-27-2019, 12:10 PM
I like Bluegrass so I get mine from https://www.accuradio.com/bluegrass/ but you can get other types of genres from just going to https://www.accuradio.com.

Seaweed, about 5000 of my 16000 songs are Bluegrass! Have you been to The Telluride Bluegrass Festival?

seaweed
02-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Once!!! I made the mistake of sitting to close to the bands. Way to loud for me and that was when I was a bit younger. So not again or at least not as close!!

wyliec
02-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Thanks all.

Joe T.
02-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Every piece of music on my, and my wife's, phone came from CDs we own.

Joe T.

ARtraveler
02-27-2019, 01:23 PM

Hey, hey! Another Bluegrass fan. :bowdown: :firstplace:

ARtraveler
02-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Seaweed, about 5000 of my 16000 songs are Bluegrass! Have you been to The Telluride Bluegrass Festival?

And another Bluegrass fan. :bowdown::firstplace:

ARtraveler
02-27-2019, 01:24 PM
I do not import any music. We listen to the radio sometimes. :roflblack:

seaweed
02-27-2019, 02:22 PM
And another Bluegrass fan. :bowdown::firstplace:

I believe that SpyderSue also is a Bluegrass fan.

bmccaffrey
02-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Pandora. It's free and listen to any type of music. App for your phone

Pirate looks at --
02-28-2019, 08:32 AM

True, I just don't like someone choosing my music!

Grizzly
02-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Google Play Music is the best IMO 9.99/mo for 1 device or 14.99/month for 6 devices.

wyliec
02-28-2019, 09:36 AM

I have Pandora on my Mac, and up until a few years ago I was able to download all music to a USB thumb drive. Them, a few years back there was copyright infringement and Pandora and others stopped allowing you to download. What I want is to download to a USB thumb drive, and play it in my jeep. From what I can tell there are no more freebies like that. So, I may have to go with the Pandora app, and pay to not have commercials.

wyliec
02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
True, I just don't like someone choosing my music!

I'm not quite sure I understand. I have Pandora on my Mac, and I choose the type of music. If a song comes up and I don't like it, I skip it or I used to be able to. I think I need to check.

pegasus1300
02-28-2019, 10:44 AM
I have Pandora on my Mac, and up until a few years ago I was able to download all music to a USB thumb drive. Them, a few years back there was copyright infringement and Pandora and others stopped allowing you to download. What I want is to download to a USB thumb drive, and play it in my jeep. From what I can tell there are no more freebies like that. So, I may have to go with the Pandora app, and pay to not have commercials.

That is my question, how do you record music from Pandora or other services. I have Pandora now

asp125
02-28-2019, 10:52 AM
I haven't downloaded in years. I stream with Pandora or Spotify or use Sirius. If you pay for Pandora premium you can download and create custom playlists, but I don't and simply hit the skip button. My old iTunes library is on a USB stick.

johnsimion
02-28-2019, 11:18 AM

It annoys me when I don't control what I am listening to, which is why I don't use Pandora. There is also Google Play and XM radio, I guess, but I really hate paying to listen to music when I have all the music I actually want to listen to right here at home. There is only so much time I have to listen to music anyway, I don't have the time or inclination to listen to somebody else's choices. So, I fixed everything so I control what I listen to.

Listen to what Joe T. says above. You've probably got lots of old CDs. Anything you have on CDs can be converted to MP3 with Windows Media Player "for free" and saved to your computer. For stuff you don't already own, you can download individual songs from Amazon, Walmart and other places in MP3 format for a dollar or two each. If I want more than three or four songs by an artist, I usually find it cheaper just to buy used CDs off eBay and convert them. Once your library is in MP3 format on your computer, you can create folders and playlists so you can sort and play the songs the way you want. You can then copy everything onto your phone if you want to listen to them that way. If you have an iPhone like I do, however, you are forced to use the Apple iTunes program, which is absolutely horrid and unintuitive and will force you to display and play the songs in the order and in the way THEY want you to play them. You can also copy the songs onto a thumb drive, but I have had a problem using a thumb drive on my 2017 Spyder because the Spyder's system is unable to recognize folders - what you get is whatever order the thumb drive wants to play them in. I don't have this problem using the thumb drive in either of my cars, only with the Spyder.

bmccaffrey
02-28-2019, 08:05 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand. I have Pandora on my Mac, and I choose the type of music. If a song comes up and I don't like it, I skip it or I used to be able to. I think I need to check.

Your correct. You choose . I think it's awesome and the ads don't bother me being it's free

mowin
02-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Had Amazon prime. 2000+ songs. GONE...
Dropped prime because rarely did a package arrive in 2 days. Usually took 4-5 days. Amazon always had a excuse of weather or some sort.
The songs I paid for are only accessable if I continue to pay for prime.

Thing is, since dropping prime, most packages are on my doorstep the next day or so the latest two days after ordering. Less time than when I had prime.

Pirate looks at --
03-01-2019, 08:35 AM
No they choose within your tastes. With my music at 16000 songs, if I want to play a specific artist I can just shuffle all of their songs. I can create a play list for a specific type of activity like a cross country ryde, and hear my music that fits my mood. If you don't own any music, then Pandora is a good alternative.

Bob Denman
03-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Once!!! I made the mistake of sitting to close to the bands. Way to loud for me and that was when I was a bit younger. So not again or at least not as close!!

:shocked: Too loud: what does that mean? :dontknow:
No such thing.... I believe that your ears might just be a bit too sensitive. :D

Truthfully: what I listen to, is largely unfit for human consumption. :opps:
But it's always LOUD!
(Unless the Missus is with me! :lecturef_smilie: :shocked:)

LeftCoast
03-01-2019, 10:17 AM

I think you get 6 skips an hour with the free version of Pandora.

Pirate looks at --
03-01-2019, 10:21 AM
I think you get 6 skips an hour with the free version of Pandora.

I can skip as often as I like, and I usually don’t have to as I purchased all of my own music!:ohyea:

bcer960
03-01-2019, 10:38 AM
I have a USB in the trunk. It has 2200+ songs on it. They came from CD's I have or other music I have picked up through the years. I prefer this over any streaming service. It's the songs I like. I never skip any of them.
We have a 6 month riding season, last year went over over 13,000 kms, music always on, didn't get through all the songs.:D

pegasus1300
03-01-2019, 10:43 AM
That is my question, how do you record music from Pandora or other services. I have Pandora now

ThNK YOU zIP FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION. I REALLY APPREACIATE IR.

Bob Denman
03-01-2019, 11:35 AM
I have a USB in the trunk. It has 2200+ songs on it. They came from CD's I have or other music I have picked up through the years. I prefer this over any streaming service. It's the songs I like. I never skip any of them.
We have a 6 month riding season, last year went over over 13,000 kms, music always on, didn't get through all the songs.:D

What program do you use for downloading the music from your CDs? I used to use one from Apple; but that computer died, and I could never find the right replacement for it...

bcer960
03-01-2019, 11:52 AM
I used windows media player, this vid will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9otgOcDtyw

but if you CD has a name, and the tracks are all named, they will show in the ripped version. His are not named, and they show that way. You can pick which songs you want to download, so you don't need to do the whole album. it is fairly quick and easy to do.

Ray

Bob Denman
03-01-2019, 12:05 PM

And it's working!! :yes: :yes::yes:
I've already started with Black Sabbath, AC/DC, and Blue Oyster Cult! :thumbup:

bcer960
03-01-2019, 02:48 PM
good choices

Bob Denman
03-01-2019, 02:50 PM
:D Believe me: it gets even louder! :bowdown:
When kids see this old dude listening to Ted Nugent at full volume: it blows their minds! :roflblack:

… or Uriah Heep!
… or Hendrix
… or Tull
… or The Scorpions
… or even Megahertz!

bcer960
03-01-2019, 02:52 PM
I used to blast it, but then I got sena 20's, now it's all in my head......:b2b:

Bob Denman
03-01-2019, 02:57 PM
If I did that with what I listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMY9Yq0_6pU

bcer960
03-01-2019, 03:07 PM
:D Believe me: it gets even louder! :bowdown:
When kids see this old dude listening to Ted Nugent at full volume: it blows their minds! :roflblack:

… or Uriah Heep!
… or Hendrix
… or Tull
… or The Scorpions
… or even Megahertz!

you forgot Dio, Maiden, Steel Dragon and Helix

Bob Denman
03-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Dio's on my list for sure! :bowdown:
(Did you ever hear his "War Pigs" duet with Ozzie?)
Some of Iron Maiden's music is in my I-pod.. not the biggest fan
Steel Dragon and Helix? I think that they came in too late for my formative years... I'll check them out! :thumbup:

EDIT: I went and pulled a copy of it for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYBE1uJ2Lg

bcer960
03-01-2019, 04:40 PM
sent you a PM, don't want to high jack the thread

Bob Denman
03-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Got it... :thumbup:

donhy
03-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Youtube

Raprider
03-07-2019, 05:46 PM
No downloads...most of the 6,000 songs I have on my pc are from CDs I own or the few hundred records (yeah, vinyl!) that I've been copying via a USB turntable...this is a time-consuming process...start up the recording software, play a side, flip the record, play second side...then all the songs need to be labelled...truly a labor of love.
Then I can copy what I want onto my phone.

jcthorne
03-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Every piece of music on my, and my wife's, phone came from CDs we own.

Joe T.

They still sell those shiny plastic disks with one album on each?

jcthorne
03-08-2019, 10:06 AM

I will mention a few terms you can search on since discussion in depth of these can lead places this forum should not go.

Usenet is an old data exchange format that predates the WWW on the internet. Its still around and lots of data exchanged through it.
FLAC is a lossless audio storage format more popular than MP3 on the net as its much higher quality. Original CD quality in a much smaller package.
Lidarr is a software program for keeping track of what music you have and what you want and getting what you are looking for.
NZB is an indexer file that allows you to get the data you are looking for from Usenet.

I have purchased many thousands of albums in many formats over the years. All are now stored on my home pc in a common FLAC format. For my phone, they are converted to mp3. With today's memory tech, its pretty easy to carry 5000 albums in your pocket or in your car stereo on a single chip. Voice control of the music via android auto is much easier while riding than fumbling with a touch screen.

Mazo EMS2
03-08-2019, 11:59 AM
I've had an Amazon Prime acct for awhile and didn't even consider the possibility of music....I'm gonna try it.

Stevew
03-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Amazon prime music, with unlimited data on our phones we stream music stations.

Motorcycledave
03-08-2019, 06:58 PM
XM Radio

that you have on your phone, and listen too while riding/driving. Are they thru purchase or a site on the internet?

wyliec
03-09-2019, 08:35 AM
I will mention a few terms you can search on since discussion in depth of these can lead places this forum should not go.

I use LPCM which creates WAV files. Here's a hypothetical situation (wink, wink), after I started this thread, I realized I had all I needed to record music, free; a t.v., a magic box connected to the tv (no monthly fee) with music channels (wink, wink), digital audio out (optical) tv connection, and a Sony digital voice recorder, but had to purchase an optical/coax digital-to-analog converter. Here's a disclaimer: You should be paying for all your music due to the copyright infringement policy. Remember, this is all hypothetical.

duke50
03-09-2019, 09:03 AM

I get my music from Amazon Prime streaming music service. Plays through any blu tooth device. About $8 a month

bhern
03-09-2019, 09:26 AM

You've already gotten a lot of answers, I just wanted to bring up a source of the source for me -- like many responders, I listen to my own library, now 8430 songs and still growing. Unlike some of the others, I endure iTunes, simply because it's too easy to work with and manage, but am considering going with the USB in the trunk route because I agree that it's a really klunky user interface.

But back to the reason for chiming in -- your public library could be a great source of tunes for you. No, not checking out CDs and ripping them as your own, which is just another form of theft and no amount of justification changes that, even though I certainly agree that if anyone deserves losing their shirts it's the scoundrel "impresarios" running the machine. However, many libraries offer a service called Freegal Music that allows library card holders to download up to 5 songs per week for free. I live in an area with multiple public library systems that use the service, so I've been able to download 15 songs a week for years now. Think of it as a Record of the Week club.

The only catch is that it doesn't cover everything under the sun -- the Freegal Music library is limited to Sony Music (and affiliated labels), so some of your favorites won't be available, or only those albums they released on an available label will be. So Kansas is there (yay!) but not Styx; Journey but not Foreigner, etc. I've been on an excursion through Miles Davis' catalogue over the last couple of months, for example, but at any rate the scope of artists is pretty large, especially for those of us of a certain age.

wyliec
03-09-2019, 02:00 PM
bhern,

Thanks. I never gave the library a second thought. I'll have to check it out.