PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with tailgators?

nater1
06-18-2009, 10:34 AM
How do you deal with tailgators?

I try to always make sure I travel a little above the speed limit to avoid this but when all else fails I look for the closes turn off, and put my signal on to turn well before the turn so I can safely let others know I am slowing down to turn off. Then I let everything clear out then make my way back to the main road to start with. It only takes a second or two but gets that person off your tail, and makes me safe.

GaryTheBadger
06-18-2009, 10:46 AM
If I'm already going the speed limit, then when its safe and legal, I purposly slow down until they have to pass me.

As for handing tailgaters when in a car, I stare very blatently at them in the inside rear-view mirror, most people hate being stared at (especially women in my case) and they back-off or pass around me.

Firefly
06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
They never get close enough to me to be a worry - ride it like it's stolen and you won't have that problem. Never been passed on the Spyder except the very few times I rode on the highway and someone else thought 95 was too slow.

docdoru
06-18-2009, 10:51 AM
What's a tailgator? :roflblack:

daddydarko
06-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I let them get in front of my guns :doorag:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=330&pictureid=3058

docdoru
06-18-2009, 10:55 AM

:roflblack::gaah::roflblack:

jedd
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I try not to be intimated by others, get a pair:chill:

patches
06-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Carry a concealed hand gun permit and strap it on so they can see it from the back, slow down just enough to make sure, may glance back and problem solved. Really, just kidding. "sometimes"
If there is something that drives me crazy is tailgating or peeps driving under "way under" while on the cell phone. I gave up driving between the hours of 7-9 am and 5-6 because of this. I have a slight temper so the best thing I can do is to remove myself from the situation all together. Safer for everyone. On the spyder, nobody gets close enough unless I am at a stop light but dang..you know they still want to stop right on your back in. I just roll back a little bit and glance back..they get the hint.

rkteck
06-18-2009, 12:31 PM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=330&pictureid=3058

I have a suggestion for you. Get two small model rockets (one inside each of your guns) and mount an ignition switch on your handlebars so you can launch while driving.

nater1
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
If I'm already going the speed limit, then when its safe and legal, I purposly slow down until they have to pass me.

As for handing tailgaters when in a car, I stare very blatently at them in the inside rear-view mirror, most people hate being stared at (especially women in my case) and they back-off or pass around me.
I am scare to bring them closer.

M2Wild
06-18-2009, 02:33 PM
A bag of rusty nuts and bolts .... and start dropping them over the sides when they get too close. They will get the message when them things starts to clanging off their hood and windshield.:joke:

The Breeze
06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
A bag of rusty nuts and bolts .... and start dropping them over the sides when they get too close. They will get the message when them things starts to clanging off their hood and windshield.:joke:

Exactly. Plus, if stopped, you could always say parts were falling off your bike!

But, wait - that would only be believable if the Spyder were Yellow!!
(That's for you - QBRRRR!!)
:joke::roflblack::joke::roflblack:

Lamonster
06-18-2009, 03:32 PM
This worked great on my Valk :D
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=470

http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=471

The Breeze
06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
This worked great on my Valk :D
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=470

http://www.bigbikeriders.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=471

I've got to know . . .
What sort of toxic material do those canisters contain and what EPA laws do I have to break to get me some!!! :yikes:

caser
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I thought that was what the middle finger was for.

Smylinacha
06-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I slow down to get on their nerves more and give them the finger and shout cuss words at them. In my car I've come to dead stops in the middle of the road. F them!

Arachnid
06-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Never had them tailgate me. Have had many an admirer pull into my blind spot and match speed to drool in there laps for a while.

Mike

gazey
06-18-2009, 06:12 PM
But we do have to look out for crocs down here in Oz :shocked:

Zerocool
06-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Hasn't been a problem, yet, on the :spyder:

-- if I were a nasty SOB, which I'm not --
In a car and in the high speed lane when you can't switch lanes to move out of their way, I would imagine the dirt and debris in the shoulder would kick up nicely if you were to wonder into it. I'd also imagine the car behind would typically drop WAY back to avoid sandblasting the paint off their vehicle ::ohyea::

Just sayin'

Jeff in Dallas
06-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Is this tailgating thing you speak of something that happens when someone want to go FASTER than I am traveling? I know not of this...

CheeseCake
06-18-2009, 08:14 PM
If I can I'll move over...
If not I'll slow down and wave them past...
last resort is to give it the gas and leave them behind...

Last thing I want to do is get squished!

bone crusher
06-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I slow down to get on their nerves more and give them the finger and shout cuss words at them. In my car I've come to dead stops in the middle of the road. F them!

Geeez you're an angry woman! Gotta love it though!

VossHog
06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Ride with no pants or undies. If you're like me, they won't be able to stand the close-up of your fat a$$ for long.

:joke:

Smylinacha
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Geeez you're an angry woman! Gotta love it though!

Nah, not angry, I just like to put people in their places when they deserve it. :)

q-brrr
06-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Exactly. Plus, if stopped, you could always say parts were falling off your bike!

But, wait - that would only be believable if the Spyder were Yellow!!
(That's for you - QBRRRR!!)
:joke::roflblack::joke::roflblack:

I caught the HUMOR in that...but I also caught the bolts BEFORE they fell off. That time!

Desert Spyder
06-20-2009, 05:52 AM
BB's over the shoulder is what I heard from a 2 wheeler.

nickcaro
06-21-2009, 07:19 PM
... I pull over and let them pass.

Roaddog2
06-21-2009, 08:36 PM
In my younger days I kept Fireballs(hard candy) on hand and would lob one out of my mouth right over my head contact every time now I just get out of there way. But I don't have that problem to much Parkway and Thruways around here 75 is slow :gaah: