PDA

View Full Version : Risers??

manchild
06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
I am really interested in risers..specifically NMN 4" risers. My hands & wrists get numb when riding after a half hour or so. My big question is height. Im 5'8"..would a 4" be better? Also..I live where there are a lot of twisties and mountainous road..and I do tend to ryde aggressively:doorag:..Would 4" risers affect that? I do like the way the nmn risers can be tilted.:2thumbs:

dltang
06-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I am really interested in risers..specifically NMN 4" risers. My hands & wrists get numb when riding after a half hour or so. My big question is height. Im 5'8"..would a 4" be better? Also..I live where there are a lot of twisties and mountainous road..and I do tend to ryde aggressively:doorag:..Would 4" risers affect that? I do like the way the nmn risers can be tilted.:2thumbs:

I have the 3" along with the BRP 1" for a total of 4" rise on my spyder. I will tell you that the pain in my hands and wrists is gone, no more burning between my shoulder blades either. I can actually ride more aggressively due to the increased leverage I have with the risers. The big selling point for me for the NMN risers is that you can angle them forward or rear for your specific riding position. I have mine angled more back towards me rather then upwards, this allows me to reach while I lean on my backrest of my bikersfriend bag when I am cruising for the long haul.

Capt John
06-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm 5'9" and have the 4" NMN risers. I have found I ryde more aggressively since I installed the risers. I agree with dltang. The added leverage makes all the difference. The relaxed positioning of the hands and shoulders, due to the risers means less strain and stress, IMHO, for those long hauls.

manchild
06-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Cool! Thats sounds like what Im looking for:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
06-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I have the 3" along with the BRP 1" for a total of 4" rise on my spyder. I will tell you that the pain in my hands and wrists is gone, no more burning between my shoulder blades either. I can actually ride more aggressively due to the increased leverage I have with the risers. The big selling point for me for the NMN risers is that you can angle them forward or rear for your specific riding position. I have mine angled more back towards me rather then upwards, this allows me to reach while I lean on my backrest of my bikersfriend bag when I am cruising for the long haul.

:2thumbs::agree::agree:

Firefly
06-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Great name--- manchild---- could tell you a long story about that name sometime..

Go for the 4" as long as you do NOT have the 1" BRP riser. I would also add a throttle lock (I have the Throttlemeister) so you can remove your right had from the bar and rest it.

Also lighten up your grip on the Spyder - helps a ton.

manchild
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Great name--- manchild---- could tell you a long story about that name sometime..

Go for the 4" as long as you do NOT have the 1" BRP riser. I would also add a throttle lock (I have the Throttlemeister) so you can remove your right had from the bar and rest it.

I have a long list of mods :dontknow: and just trying to prioritize em..lol..but yeah a throttlemeister or something like it will be added also.
Thats the hardest thing to get used to at first is relaxing your grip..especially on some of the roads I ryde.

manchild
06-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Still curious about peoples height tho..and risers or not?

NancysToy
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM

:agree: I have severe carpel tunnel plus some neurological issues, and fight numbness constantly. I will add that changing the angle of your wrists slightly, so that they are not so bent, can work wonders. The stretching exercises they gave me at PT helped a lot, too.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

dltang
06-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Still curious about peoples height tho..and risers or not?

I am 5' 61/2" tall and I have a long torso, I only have about a 29" inseam.

Trickie Dick
06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm much taller and the risers really helped me both in comfort and handling. Plus they make an excellent platform for adding ram mounting balls on the inside end to put your GPS, radar detector etc. NMN carries these as well. I have one one on each side. Low cost alternative and work well. :2thumbs:
Dick

WizardMaster
06-18-2009, 07:06 AM
My wife is 5'6" and I am 6'. The SE5 is hers but I have way more miles on it then her and I ride it as aggressive as it possibly could be riden.:dontknow: :yes:The SE5 has our 4" risers on it and it is comfortable for both of us in the same position.

Jody

manchild
06-18-2009, 10:30 AM
[quote=WizardMaster;110963]My wife is 5'6" and I am 6'. The SE5 is hers but I have way more miles on it then her and I ride it as aggressive as it possibly could be riden.:dontknow: :yes:The SE5 has our 4" risers on it and it is comfortable for both of us in the same position.

Jody[/quote
Cool! Thats what I wanna hear:yes: Now if I can just get my wife onboard to see how important spyder mods are:lecturef_smilie: