PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Phantom, #000177 Is Dead

CSX4350
06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Coming home today on IH-10, cruising along minding my own business running about 70 or so, all of a sudden there was a deafening CRASH and I was completely off the Spyder, hanging on with my right hand and foot. Somehow I managed to pull myself back onto the seat as I watched the car that hit me hit the left guardrail, then the right guardrail, then go into the median and into oncoming traffic almost taking out an oncoming Highway Patrol car.

The driver was a train conductor who had been working since 7AM yesterday and claims he fell asleep. He almost hit the car behind me too. He was running over 100 when he hit me. The left front wheel and suspension are toast, but in testimonial to this machine it saved my life. If I had been on my Wing I'd be dead. If I had less riding experience and had fallen off I'd be in really bad shape. As it is my left knee hurts, but the front suspension kept him from coming all the way in and amputating my left leg.

I already called the dealer and they have another Phantom, I will contact this :cus:'s insurance company tomorrow and ask when they will buy me a new one. Mine is 4 DAYS old and has 300 miles!!!!!!

Firefly
06-17-2009, 06:07 PM
:yikes::shocked:

So glad you are okay!!!!

For sure would have been road pizza on 2 wheels!

WOW !!!

Keeping your composure during such an event played a huge part in you being alive today!

jodeg1945
06-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Thank GOD you're okay! Your riding experience and a stable Spyder saved your life!

Bersquack
06-17-2009, 06:17 PM
This is nuts. Happy to hear you are OK.

You can always replace the bike!

8LEGS
06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Wow! What a day. Glad you are ok. Hope you get another Spyder soon.

DynamoBT
06-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Very glad you are OK. Sounds like you were an Old West trick rider in a past life. Thank goodness you hung on and that you were riding a Spyder!

It's clear that the cages are out to get us. :yikes:

Dudley
06-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Glad you're OK. The Spyder can be replaced and you can ryde again. We will probably be going through Seguin next Wednesday. I guess the Houston messopolis has caught up with Seguin. When I lived in Houston in the 70's Katy was till a quiet country town.

Roaddog2
06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Glad your ok and able to talk about it less than 500 miles most Ins Co.
do automatic replacement with damage like that.
also make sure you get checked out and don't settle with them :pray:

spydsense
06-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow, glad you're OK. Could've been an awful lot worse.......Goes to show ya', you just never know.......Good luck with the insurance headaches.....

:agree:

CSX4350
06-17-2009, 07:01 PM
The only thing that saved the cage drivers life is that I'm a semi-retired cop and didn't want to go to jail for beating his butt.

An interesting side note, the Trooper thinks he has the whole crash on video. I'll go talk to the Sergeant tomorrow and see if I can get a copy.

I had the ryde towed to my house, here's a pic of the damage:

http://gpdk9.com/images/phantom5.jpg

I could barely get it in the garage, it will not roll.

rkteck
06-17-2009, 07:03 PM
The driver was a train conductor who had been working since 7AM yesterday and claims he fell asleep. He almost hit the car behind me too. He was running over 100 when he hit me.

See, if you would just have been riding at around 110mph, this would have never happened!

No, seriously, it's great that you were not hurt bad or even killed. Now you have the long road ahead of trying to get the insurance company to give you replacement cost rather than low blue book. They give you the run around until you either give in or hire an attorney. It's the insurance way.

Hopefully he has a reputable insurance company that will step up to the plate and do right by you.

Sorry about making light of it in my first sentence. I try to do that in life but really do know that this was no laughing matter. Please don't take any offense.

Best of luck!

beka
06-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Wow, very scary. I'm glad the Spyder protected you so well. From how you described it, it would be fortunate for someone in a car to walk away with no significant injuries, let alone a motorcycle. I hope the insurance company takes care of things properly and gets you back on the road with a new Spyder soon.

ataDude
06-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Glad you're reasonably OK!

northramp
06-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Glad that you are ok .. Wow .. What a day for you ... BTW CSX is that a continuation car ##??

Oldmanzues
Glad to hear you kinds okay. What I would say about the car driver coulnd not be printed in a XXXXXXXXXXXX rated paper.

Good luck in getting and riding a new Spyder.

dave01
Wow, Glad to see ya survived. I was nailed by a 66 Impala land ark many years ago and didnt make out so good. Looks like the front wheel took the most of the impact, which would have been your leg on a 2 wheeler.
Good luck with the insurance company and the new Phantom

HBCruiser
06-17-2009, 07:29 PM
I am very happy things turned out as good as they did. Thank God you are okay. I hope all turns out well in the end.

dltang
06-17-2009, 07:39 PM
As everyone else here has said, Thank you God, you are okay. I hope your legs heals well and you are ready to ride again soon. Was anyone else hurt, including the driver that hit you?

Lamonster
06-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I was rear ended on the freeway back in 82 and I know all too well what you're talking about. All I can say is God must have some big plans for your life. Glad you both are okay.
nojoke

2spyders
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
So sorry about your Spyder, but so glad you are ok!!

tjfischer
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear you are OK. I know how you feel when you see your Spyder in pieces. Hope you are back on the road soon.

SPYMAN
06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Nice to see your angels are watching out for you!!

hope the same for all of us!

SPYMAN

Magic Man
06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Glad to hear your OK. :clap:

The bike can be replaced you can't be. You're one of a kind. :2thumbs:

Hope you get your new one fast.:thumbup:

MM

NancysToy
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Wow, a matter of a foot or two between him hitting the wheel or your body. That was too close! If that doesn't make you believe in the Almighty, I don't know what will. Like all the others here, I'm so glad you survived pretty much intact. I hope you are Spydering on a new ride in short order.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

czdaryle
06-17-2009, 08:12 PM
glad you are okay...nice job hanging on!

AMTJIM
06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Heyyyy...glad to see you're OK. If you don't want that Hindle I'll send the Money Order back when it hits my mailbox.

SpyderDeb
06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Glad to hear you are ok!!!!

John - Do you give tours of your list below :2thumbs:

2009 Spyder Phantom R.I.P., I hardly knew ye....
2009 G8 GXP
2008 GT500 'Vert
2008 Silverado Z71
2008 Freightliner SportChassis
2007 Newmar 45' Bus
2005 Dodge Magnum
1969 Camaro 502/T56
1968 Z28
1965 427 Shelby Cobra
1965 289 Shelby Cobra
LOTS Of Trailers

Smylinacha
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow that must have sucked! Glad you are alright!

vt228
06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Glad to hear you are OK. I know how you feel when you see your Spyder in pieces. Hope you are back on the road soon you got 8 of your 9 lives left.:yikes:oh god thank you:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::b owdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Some Guy
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow...I don't think I would have hung onto the Spyder as well as you! I would have been trying to not...well..."soil" myself!!! :D

I'm am very happy to know you're doing well after all that. And, just because I'm a really nice guy, I'm willing to trade my '08 Yellow Spyder for one of the Shelby Cobras, just to help you out! :roflblack:

Seriously, I really am glad you're OK.

jeuchler
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
We're glad you're OK and could tell the story.

Perhaps this is overly simplistic, but it's the third time in a year and a half that I've heard of a Spyder accident where the operator stated that if they had been on a bike, the end result would have been much worse...

(Good luck getting your insurance $.)

NautiBrit
06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
You are obviously a lucky son of a gun. It may be a tribute to the Spyder, but it speaks highly of your reactions and self preservation.

CSX4350
06-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Glad that you are ok .. Wow .. What a day for you ... BTW CSX is that a continuation car ##??

CSX stands for Carroll Shelby eXport, the first three letters in a Cobra VIN number. My screen name is the VIN of my 427.

Thanks to all for the kind words, there is no doubt someone had their hand on me today helping make sure it was not my time. I have said more than a few thank you's.

I am already starting to really feel it, I made sure I got all of my chores done before I sat down for the night. I'm starting to get really sore, tomorrow morning could be interesting.

An accident investigator friend stopped by tonight and looked the the Spyder (when I opened the trunk the body panel that the fender light is touching in the picture fell off!), the first thing he said was that the car had obviously gone up and over the front wheel. I instantly remembered seeing the car on two wheels heading toward the left guardrail as I was trying to hold on for dear life and trying to grab something with my left hand to pull myself back on top. As I was trying to stay on it I twisted the throttle wide open and it stuck there. Once I got back on top I heard the engine free revving and saw the tach at or past redline, I don't know if I had pulled in the clutch or if the transmission is broken. I finally hit the kill switch, but it was banging the rev limiter free revving for a while. I would bet the engine & transmission are hurt. It starts & runs but it just dies if you try to move it, however it can be pushed. That doesn't sound like a good sign to me.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Big Arm
06-17-2009, 11:34 PM
You are obviously a lucky son of a gun. It may be a tribute to the Spyder, but it speaks highly of your reactions and self preservation.

:agree: CSX4350, Thanks for your post, and please keep us updated.
Hope your injuries won't be too hard to bear. We'll think of you in our prayers.

jima1153
06-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Thats nuts! Glad your OK. You will probably feel a little worse tomorrow with some new pulled muscles. Get well soon and keep ridin.

SpyderGirl
06-18-2009, 12:02 AM
WOW! What a freak accident! Glad to hear you're okay.

nater1
06-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Do not call his insurance company, DO NOT MAKE A STATEMENT.
Go to your doctor if you have not already.

You will not be dealing with his agent. Agent do not handle claims.

You will get a telephone call soon from a guy wanting to be your friend ( how you doing pal ), he is a insurance investigator, and he will be recording your telephone call for court. Even if nothing every goes on with injury you could have sustained tell him you do not want to make a statement at this time. Tell him you are getting into your doctor. If he asks how your doing tell him you do not want to talk about that. If he wants to know tell him to talk to your doctor when he writes a report. Your doctor will never talk to him any how. Keep a log of everything that goes on.

Next you will get a second call from a guy who is a insurance appraise, and he deals only in auto repair claim. Tell him where it can be viewed, and then stay away from him also. If he does not call you with in a day call him ask what are we doing about your ride. Remember do not get to upset when they drag their feet getting your bike repaired. In most states they have 60 days, and trust me it will take that long. If you do not like a offer the make you, tell them what you want. Lets say $12,000, and you keep the bike which you will part out making a extra 5-6 thousand dollars. That is what they will do with your bike. Give you lets say $12,000, and sell it for $4000 to a used part wholesale.

Go through his insurance only not yours. His insurance will provide a nice deal on the bike , and not harm your insurance rating as well.

Lets say you did get hurt at all make sure you follow your doctors orders, and get better. If you hurt do not be a tough guy. It does no good. If you hurt at all talk to your doctor about it, and no one else. There is only one person to trust, and that is your doctor.

You will be getting letters from a dozen Lawyers also. Throw those in a pile for starting a camp fire. If you feel some damage to yourself happen that can take time to heal, and may never be right again you have a statue on limitation which varies state to state so you will want to look that up on the web.

You can settle all property damage yourself, and any medical claims with out a lawyer. If you start getting screwed then you will have to get a lawyer but do not hire the first one you talk to. Use each one you interview to learn what is really going on. Lawyers are in the biz to screw people even their own client.

Hope you feel better, and thank god you did not get killed.

IMRU3
06-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Praise to God that you are safe and home with your love ones. It could have been worse. The damage on the Spyder is replaceable. Your life on the other hand is irreplaceable. God bless you.

gazey
06-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Sorry to hear of your Spyders demise, but happy to hear you are OK :thumbup:
Fire up the Cobra and wait for your new :spyder: to arrive.

wyliec
06-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Sorry to hear of your Spyders demise, but happy to hear you are OK :thumbup:
Fire up the Cobra and wait for your new :spyder: to arrive.

Some Guy
06-18-2009, 06:22 AM

-- There is only one person to trust, and that is your doctor.

-- Hope you feel better, and thank god you did not get killed.

How are you feeling today?

retread
06-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Good that you're okay. As great as Spyders are, they're still just "stuff", and can be replaced. Will pray that all works out well for you.

john

FANG
06-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. Will keep you in my prayers for a qwik return to Spyder ryding

Firefly
06-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Don't sweat or worry about the whole insurance thing as some have stated. Depending on what State you live in - things are different for you. Here in Michigan we pay $$$$ for our no-fault car insurance - but there are many benefits that we have - including medical care for the rest of your life (pertaining to the injury sustained in the wreck).

As far as I know, in Michigan, you would be taken care of by your own insurance company - and then your insurance company goes after his. Been awhile since I've been through all that.

The end user shouldn't have to worry or have much involvement in the whole thing. I don't think you'll have a problem getting 100% of the repairs covered, or a new replacement bike.

Good luck - and don't stress too much over it - you've already made it through the hard part!

TonyMac
06-18-2009, 09:59 AM
What a scary tale. Glad to hear you are alright.

As a fellow Texan who braves the highways everyday, I salute you! When you get back in the saddle we'll have to organize a San Antonio area get together of some kind.

Take care. Tony

RoadHammer
06-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank god you were on a spyder.

hope it all works out for you.

rkteck
06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
When my wife was hurt in a car accident, the insurance company would not settle anything with the car until she was completly healed from her injuries. Plus they would not pay for any of the medical costs until everything was settled which required us to get an attorney . We had to work up a contract with the doctor to refer payment until the settlement and could not get a replacement car until everything was finalized. What a scam....works for the attorneys, doctors and the insurance company but screws the driver.

RubyRed
06-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Wow! You must have had someone watching over you that day!
So glad that you werent hurt badly or killed.

Take Care!

jnt
06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Wow :gaah: glad you are mostly ok! Stricken rides can be replaced.

Someone suggested to me when the SUV attacked that I deal with MY insurance company, and let them deal with his - I've known my agent for 30-some years; never heard of his. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and don't settle until you are SURE everything is right. My case is still running after nearly 3 years.

nater1
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I would like to tell everyone thank you for him about providing personnel advice. Nice job people. We all need to look out for each other through our common bond.

Zerocool
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Glad you weren't seriously injured. :2thumbs:

Bimjo
06-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Dude! Whatever you do, don't ever piss off your guardian angel! ;)

Glad this incident turned out as well as it did. Always makes me cringe to read stuff like this.

CheeseCake
06-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Glad to hear your OK!
:2thumbs:
I travel on I-10 from Houston to San Antonio all the time...
lots of crazy drivers....
I have seen people doing 50 in the fast lane... and then someone going 100 passing on the shoulder.... pulling a trailer! (hunting season)

CC

WackyDan
06-18-2009, 10:58 PM
The only thing that saved the cage drivers life is that I'm a semi-retired cop and didn't want to go to jail for beating his butt.

An interesting side note, the Trooper thinks he has the whole crash on video. I'll go talk to the Sergeant tomorrow and see if I can get a copy.

I had the ryde towed to my house, here's a pic of the damage:

I could barely get it in the garage, it will not roll.

You were exceptionally lucky. Looks like a glancing blow. Imagine if he'd hit you further behind, or was angled in at you several more degrees. Still a testament to the Spyder.

WackyDan
06-18-2009, 10:59 PM
See, if you would just have been riding at around 110mph, this would have never happened!

No, seriously, it's great that you were not hurt bad or even killed. Now you have the long road ahead of trying to get the insurance company to give you replacement cost rather than low blue book. They give you the run around until you either give in or hire an attorney. It's the insurance way.

Hopefully he has a reputable insurance company that will step up to the plate and do right by you.

Sorry about making light of it in my first sentence. I try to do that in life but really do know that this was no laughing matter. Please don't take any offense.

Best of luck!

Or go after his employer pending any knowledge of just how long his shift was.

irish2themax
06-19-2009, 09:15 AM
:cus: cagers!! Glad you're okay. Could have been worse...he could have been driving his train!! Oh yeah...he was just a conductor.

bone crusher
06-19-2009, 09:36 AM

You will not be dealing with his agent. Agent do not handle claims.

You will get a telephone call soon from a guy wanting to be your friend ( how you doing pal ), he is a insurance investigator, and he will be recording your telephone call for court. Even if nothing every goes on with injury you could have sustained tell him you do not want to make a statement at this time. Tell him you are getting into your doctor. If he asks how your doing tell him you do not want to talk about that. If he wants to know tell him to talk to your doctor when he writes a report. Your doctor will never talk to him any how. Keep a log of everything that goes on.

Next you will get a second call from a guy who is a insurance appraise, and he deals only in auto repair claim. Tell him where it can be viewed, and then stay away from him also. If he does not call you with in a day call him ask what are we doing about your ride. Remember do not get to upset when they drag their feet getting your bike repaired. In most states they have 60 days, and trust me it will take that long. If you do not like a offer the make you, tell them what you want. Lets say $12,000, and you keep the bike which you will part out making a extra 5-6 thousand dollars. That is what they will do with your bike. Give you lets say $12,000, and sell it for $4000 to a used part wholesale.

Go through his insurance only not yours. His insurance will provide a nice deal on the bike , and not harm your insurance rating as well.

Lets say you did get hurt at all make sure you follow your doctors orders, and get better. If you hurt do not be a tough guy. It does no good. If you hurt at all talk to your doctor about it, and no one else. There is only one person to trust, and that is your doctor.

You will be getting letters from a dozen Lawyers also. Throw those in a pile for starting a camp fire. If you feel some damage to yourself happen that can take time to heal, and may never be right again you have a statue on limitation which varies state to state so you will want to look that up on the web.

You can settle all property damage yourself, and any medical claims with out a lawyer. If you start getting screwed then you will have to get a lawyer but do not hire the first one you talk to. Use each one you interview to learn what is really going on. Lawyers are in the biz to screw people even their own client.

Hope you feel better, and thank god you did not get killed.

Nater,

Insurance is different from state to state. If you're that concerned, just get an attorney from the get-go. Many states require you to file with your insurance for any bodily harm...it's called PIP...even if it is caused by someone else! Some states have med pay...they're all different.

I'm a crash reconstruction specialist and I assure you that there is no single process that works for insurance companies following a crash...state laws can be quite different!