PDA

View Full Version : My Roof Rake Broke - I fixed it

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-16-2019, 12:26 PM
You folks in sunny warm climes probably don't have any idea what a " roof rake " is or what it's used for …… well we in the Snowy climes own many of them ( only one each tho :roflblack: ..usually ) ….. they are aluminum ( 4 ) section poles that are about 20 ft long …. they have flat 6in X 24in piece of alumin. used as a SCOOP that you PULL down the slope of your roof to remove snow..... When snow accumulates, if it gets warm and rains, that snow increases in weight " EXPONENTIALLY " and if it isn't removed prior to getting wet - a roof can easily collapse :lecturef_smilie::gaah: …….. To help PREVENT shingle damage ( from scraping ) they have small wheels at the business end to allow it to more easily pass over the surface …… They are very simple and cheaply made …..well one of mine disappeared :banghead:..... which renders the RAKE useless …… where to I get a wheel to match the other one ….. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN :yes: …… I happen to have some scape " Trex " planks …. and used a hole making saw ( the round kind with teeth ) …. and used the PLUG it creates as the wheel.... I formed an " L " bracket for each side of the 1/4" dia. nail which I welded onto the brackets and POP riveted it to the Head of the Rake …… It works so well I'm going to trash the OEM one and replace it with my own design …… I'm sure you can tell WE Spyders riders are so bored we post this type of stuff during the Winter :roflblack::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:..... Think Spring ….. Mike :ohyea:

Bob Denman
02-16-2019, 01:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh895KdXAU

ARtraveler
02-16-2019, 02:06 PM
I know what they are and am happy to say that I have not needed to use it yet this year.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-16-2019, 02:32 PM
I know what they are and am happy to say that I have not needed to use it yet this year.

:yes::clap: …………..glad to here it , however if one of those pesky wheel things breaks or dis-appears you have an idea of how to fix it …. Mike :ohyea:

Chupaca
02-16-2019, 04:10 PM
No telling what you can do with the stuff lying around the garage....Must have found the trex under the 917....:roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-16-2019, 06:11 PM
I've never had one with a set of wheels...

But I've got a metal roof, so it probably isn't an issue.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-16-2019, 07:41 PM
No telling what you can do with the stuff lying around the garage....Must have found the trex under the 917....:roflblack:

Nope …. but I'm an avowed " dumpster diver " :yikes: ……. I think I was born to re-claim and re-use …...:roflblack:...…….. Mike :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-16-2019, 07:42 PM
I've never had one with a set of wheels...

But I've got a metal roof, so it probably isn't an issue.

Correct - but only if it's NOT Painted …………… good luck ….. Mike :ohyea:

canamjhb
02-16-2019, 07:58 PM
My first reaction to your post is that you didn't use spell check. Thought your roof RACK broke (as in ski rack). Thanks for the explanation. I have never heard of a roof rake before but now I learned something new. Most likely will never need one here but it's good knowledge to have to stump the neighbors with trivial questions..... (except those darn snow birds from Minnesota).....

I just now asked my better half if she knew what a roof rake was. Her answer; "for snow?" (she is from Pennsylvania)..... Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-16-2019, 08:05 PM
My first reaction to your post is that you didn't use spell check. Thought your roof RACK broke (as in ski rack). Thanks for the explanation. I have never heard of a roof rake before but now I learned something new. Most likely will never need one here but it's good knowledge to have to stump the neighbors with trivial questions..... (except those darn snow birds from Minnesota).....

I just now asked my better half if she knew what a roof rake was. Her answer; "for snow?" (she is from Pennsylvania)..... Jim

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:...…..and I'll bet She has used one or , a brother or Father etc... there are roofs with Pitches that make going up on one Foolhardy ………..Mike :ohyea:

Lew L
02-16-2019, 11:05 PM
I've certainly had to use my roof RAKE this winter.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-16-2019, 11:09 PM
I've certified had to use my roof RAKE this winter.

I've been waiting for your comment on this topic :thumbup::roflblack::roflblack:...……….. Mike :ohyea:

Lew L
02-17-2019, 12:03 AM
I've been waiting for your comment on this topic :thumbup::roflblack::roflblack:...……….. Mike :ohyea:

Well with almost 350" on snow at the ski resort above me ----- it's been a big snow season here. Just remember ---- two years ago the resort got 760" ( over 60 FEET ) of snow. Please tell me more about global warming.

Lew L

Bob Denman
02-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Hey Lew!
Do us a favor: please keep the snow at your end of the Country... Thanks! :thumbup:

Lew L
02-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Sorry Bob, Gotta spread the love. :joke::joke:

I'm trying though--snowing right now with a winter storm warning for the West. Thank goodness that it's light snow and that i've got good snowblowers.

Lew L

Bob Denman
02-17-2019, 12:21 PM

Geep
02-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Well with almost 350" on snow at the ski resort above me ----- it's been a big snow season here. Just remember ---- two years ago the resort got 760" ( over 60 FEET ) of snow. Please tell me more about global warming.

Lew L

Today’s words are “climate change”

2dogs
02-17-2019, 02:37 PM
I'm with Bob here on this one. I replaced my roof with a metal roof so I tossed my roof rack/rake. Of all the spelling errors on this site, (of which I participate in) I've always been able understand the poster's meaning.

Saluda
02-18-2019, 07:53 AM
Lost a wheel from mine a while ago.
Had to use one several times this season.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Lost a wheel from mine a while ago.
Had to use one several times this season.

Well now you know how I fixed mine - … Did you re-place your missing wheel ???? …………….. Mike :ohyea:

Saluda
02-18-2019, 10:15 AM
Pulled the remaining one, was in the middle of a big clean up.

Grandpot
02-18-2019, 11:48 AM
I feel for you folks up north. I moved to SC about 40 years ago and don't miss messing with the snow. I left my snow blower to my Dad when I headed south.

Saluda
02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Nothing like snowmobiling though !

Bob Denman
02-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Today’s words are “climate change”
:shocked: I can't wait for the "Global Warming" to start... :roflblack:

Lew L
02-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Ya--- I know. BUT---- A ski resort in California ( Mammoth Mountain ) now has 45 FEET of snow and the one just 11 miles from me has 30 FEET of snow. Two years ago we had over 60 FEET of snow at the same resort ( Mt.Rose/ Ski Tahoe) . Some Sierra resorts got 10 feet just last weekend.

So please tell me more about " climate change" or Global Warming.

Lew L

ARtraveler
02-18-2019, 02:27 PM
From the velvet hammer:

Climate change may take the thread off of the original subject...Roof Rakes.

Then...it may go political...and then it may get the thread closed.

Let's not go there.

ARtraveler
02-18-2019, 07:38 PM
We have 40 degrees today. The snow and ice is avalanching off my metal roof. No roof rake needed...again.

Lew L
02-19-2019, 10:36 AM
OK--- I'm looking for some small wheels I stowed away somewhere to adapt to my roofRAKE. Just had a new roof put on last summer ( my wife won't let me up on the roof for extended periods of time). I'm using a paint roller extension pole with a piece of 1/4" thick resin based plastic bolted to the endof an old roller handle. With a rounded edge, I didn't think it would hurt the 3 tab fiberglass shingles. I'm rethinking that and may add wheels------- when I find them.
Lew L

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-19-2019, 11:31 AM
OK--- I'm looking for some small wheels I stowed away somewhere to adapt to my roofRAKE. Just had a new roof put on last summer ( my wife won't let me up on the roof for extended periods of time). I'm using a paint roller extension pole with a piece of 1/4" thick resin based plastic bolted to the endof an old roller handle. With a rounded edge, I didn't think it would hurt the 3 tab fiberglass shingles. I'm rethinking that and may add wheels------- when I find them.
Lew L

:agree: .. it doesn't take much to scrape off the granules and then problems start :yikes: ......…. I used the TREX because I had some, & it was much easier to cut using the hole cutter ( the kind the will make a wheel if you take it out of the cutter ) …. you could make it out of wood ( hardwood would last longer ) paint it with a few coats of paint so it won't soak water … you might be able to get a sample or scrap of TREX at the lumber yard...…...Heck I'm sure E-bay has a gazillion choices for small wheels….. good luck …. Mike

Deanna777
02-19-2019, 03:15 PM
:agree:

No more snow! It is almost March, the spyder riding season is around the corner.

I have used a roof rack several times this year.

Deanna

Saluda
02-19-2019, 03:54 PM
You don't sound like you're putting on many sled miles ?

Deanna777
02-19-2019, 06:37 PM
You don't sound like you're putting on many sled miles ?Sent a pm.

Deanna

Saluda
02-20-2019, 06:44 AM
Got it.

Deanna777
02-21-2019, 04:41 PM
Nothing like snowmobiling though !:agree: Deanna

CopperSpyder
02-22-2019, 08:35 AM
Snowmobile long pole with the roof rake attached for the deep snow we can call it the power roof rake. Would need to make some kind of adaptor to attach to machine for the right angle.