PDA

View Full Version : Seat question????????

Valkrocket
02-12-2019, 09:01 AM
OK, I'm kinda baffled here. I don't read anywhere in the manual that the 18 RTL seat is heated. The grips yes, seat no. Yet when I removed my seat to install the backrest I had to unplug an electrical connection. I know the seat lock is electronic, but that latch is in the frame, the seat only has a post that fits down into that latch. There are no lights or any other kind of electronic device that wires into the seat.....that I know of. ;) If the wire is there for a future mod to install heat, why not tell us that or better still, just add the switch to the fog light/heated grips cluster? As I said before, the Marquis de Saud designed the seat removal procedure but, musta had help from his brother(the Marquis de Keep'emguessing):gaah: So I call on you once again for your experience and/or wisdom:bowdown:

olsarge
02-12-2019, 09:07 AM
that is probably the passenger sensor. it allows the passenger hand grip heater to work and the audio controls and I think that it adjusts the system braking also.

Hooded Claw
02-12-2019, 09:36 AM
On my 2016 RTL that connection is for the sensor that sends the signal to the air pump to adjust the rear suspension depending on the passenger's weight. I think its the same for your 2018. It may also do other things like olsarge said but I'm not sure on that.

jcthorne
02-12-2019, 09:37 AM
The wiring under the seat is a switch for the vehicle stability control to know when you have a passenger on board. It adjusts the limits where the stability control cuts back power. Has nothing to do with heated grips, audio controls or air suspension.

Removing the seat is actually pretty easy if you know how. Remove the passenger back rest (3 screws from inside trunk) then the bolts at the rear of the main seat are easy to access with a 10mm socket and ratchet. Do not drop the nuts.....

Grandpot
02-12-2019, 11:59 AM
JC is right.

Valkrocket
02-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Aha, thank you jc. I knew it had to be some feature I wasn't familiar with. Now I can get a good nights sleep tonite ;)

ARtraveler
02-12-2019, 03:20 PM
They got you covered. :welcome:

Easy Rider
02-13-2019, 10:12 AM
that is probably the passenger sensor. it allows the passenger hand grip heater to work and the audio controls and I think that it adjusts the system braking also.

Heater grips and audio controls are mounted in the FRAME, not the seat.

That is a passenger sensor for the ABS/TCC.

johnsimion
02-13-2019, 03:19 PM
If one were to order a heated seat, how hard would it be to install and wire it in? Would the wiring be easier to do with the BRP heated seat or equal with a custom aftermarket seat like Corbin?

Grandpot
02-13-2019, 03:49 PM
If one were to order a heated seat, how hard would it be to install and wire it in? Would the wiring be easier to do with the BRP heated seat or equal with a custom aftermarket seat like Corbin?

I just installed a BRP Heated Comfort Seat on my RTS. It was a simple plug and play using the supplied OEM wiring harness.

bluewoo
02-13-2019, 05:48 PM
:agree: