PDA

View Full Version : Ski product idea - DIY

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-11-2019, 07:13 PM
At almost 72 I like to be comfortable ( as possible ) ….. I contracted Frost Bite decades ago and have solved that issue a few threads back …… gone are the days when " just tough it out " or don't be a Wimp " are long gone ….. I think I may have come up with a way to keep your FACE warm especially on windy very cold days ….. I have tried both a half-face mask and a couple of Balaclava's ….. they work - until they get WET from your own breath and then Freeze to your face :gaah: …… so what I believe will work is using the mouthpiece from a SNORKEL ( the kind you swim with ) …. No tube just the mouth - piece …. thru a hole in the mask or balaclava …. I may even attach some ( very ) flexible hose and direct down into my jacket ( that could supply warm air also ) …… any thoughts folks …… Mike :ohyea:

BlueF3Ltd
02-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Love that idea. I may try it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Love that idea. I may try it.

Look on E-bay under " snorkels " if you scroll thru far enough you will find sellers of JUST the Mouth-piece $ 1.15 and up … w/free delivery ………….Mike :ohyea:...……...PS if you have REALLY cold hand issues I can help with that also …… :yes:

LeftCoast
02-11-2019, 07:51 PM
I would think you’d get tired of biting down on the mouthpiece but it’s worth trying. I think you’ll get more interesting looks if you go full snorkel though!

canamjhb
02-11-2019, 08:45 PM
I like the full snorkel idea. Like the ones we had as kids. Had a little cage with a ping pong ball that sealed the hole when going underwater.....:ohyea: Seriously, Mike, your idea sounds great. Thinking out of the box is fun. Many, many.....many years ago I started skiing with my dads' WW2 lambs wool lined leather flight hat. The kind that had ear flaps that attached under the chin. It was a hoot to come flying down the slopes with those ear flaps flapping in the wind. I think I started a new fad on our local slopes..... Looked goofy but effective..... Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-11-2019, 09:59 PM
I would think you’d get tired of biting down on the mouthpiece but it’s worth trying. I think you’ll get more interesting looks if you go full snorkel though!

" Full snorkel " :roflblack::roflblack: ………… I don't think I'm really going to HAVE to bite down …. You do that in water because ingesting water is a problem … ingesting Air around the edges is fine ….. This mouth -piece will also act as a Guard in case of a Face Plant ( I think it will help prevent teeth damage ) …. And as far as getting noticed … My HIPPO Hand Muffs already do that :yikes: …. Since I have been using them more than a few other skier's ( while on the chair lift ) have said " if you need them - use them "………. last week I saw another skier with a pair, I think I told Her about them …… Mike :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-11-2019, 10:04 PM
I like the full snorkel idea. Like the ones we had as kids. Had a little cage with a ping pong ball that sealed the hole when going underwater.....:ohyea: Seriously, Mike, your idea sounds great. Thinking out of the box is fun. Many, many.....many years ago I started skiing with my dads' WW2 lambs wool lined leather flight hat. The kind that had ear flaps that attached under the chin. It was a hoot to come flying down the slopes with those ear flaps flapping in the wind. I think I started a new fad on our local slopes..... Looked goofy but effective..... Jim

Good on you …. Thinking out of the Box is where I live, especially on the Spyders ……. I have a natural rabbit fur hat with ear muffs that I used to wear ( super warm :thumbup: ) ….. but now I'm main stream and wear a helmet ( for lots of reasons ) …. I usually wear a Balaclava under it so it's good in all ways..... When My Helmet arrived ( in Oct. ) I was very surprised how light weight it was …. it is a type certified by some ski assoc. , so I hope it works as designed …… Mike :ohyea:

Chupaca
02-11-2019, 10:21 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to the breath of life when you exhale into your jacket...and a little vaseline will help keep things from freezing to you. The snorkel mouth piece is a great idea....:thumbup:

asp125
02-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Come ski out west, where we do have days we call snorkle days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMDrv9R1pc

PrairieSpyder
02-14-2019, 09:20 AM
I don't know if I'd direct your breaths into your suit. I wouldn't want to introduce moisture under the jacket.

Grandpot
02-14-2019, 12:24 PM
I don't know if I'd direct your breaths into your suit. I wouldn't want to introduce moisture under the jacket.

You're exactly right. Breathing into a jacket is not a good idea.