PDA

View Full Version : Replacing horn with air horn, relay or no relay?

kdp1308
02-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Like the title says, I am replacing my stock horn (13 RTS) with a Wolo bad boy air horn. Do I need to use the supplied relay or not?
Thanks,
Keith

Grandpot
02-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Use the relay. The current draw of the air horn is much higher than the OEM horn.

oldguyinTX
02-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Absolutely yes, and put an in-line 20 amp fuse on the positive lead.

Rangerjames9
02-04-2019, 03:17 PM
I have Wolo bad boy horn on my 15 rtl ..... very happy with it

Lew L
02-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Use the relay to get full amperage at the horn. Otherwise all the electrons are going through the little contact on in the horn button.

Lew L

Lew L
02-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Just an up date here:

The Wolo horn draws 16 amps. Use the relay.

The Strieble draws 18 amps ( at 12 volts )

I wonder which one is louder??:chat:

Grandpot
02-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Just an up date here:

The Wolo horn draws 16 amps. Use the relay.

The Strieble draws 18 amps ( at 12 volts )

I wonder which one is louder??:chat:

I thought those horns were the same, just branded differently. Am I incorrect?

kdp1308
02-04-2019, 04:28 PM
I couldn't find anywhere how many amps the horn draws. Thanks, Lew. The kit that spyderpops sells doesn't show a relay. Somewhere I saw that the spyder had a relay for the horn but looking at the wiring diagram didn't show any. My horn is mounted inside the frunk so I will have to use some kind of connector. Maybe I will try to find a 4 pin plug to replace the 2 pin plug that is a pain to undo. I will wire in the relay just to be safe. That way I can use it a lot! :thumbup:

Rickster48
02-04-2019, 10:05 PM
I have Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns to install on my RT. Had them on my Yamaha FJR and they're great. My question is, does anyone know if the horn button on a RT is on the positive or negative (ground) side? The instructions have a diagram for wiring the included relay for both situations. Also, I assume from Lew L's comment #5 that there is no relay on the factory horn. Anyone know if that is the case?

cptjam
02-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Correct; no relay on the factory horn. We have done them both ways; with relay, and without. Never an issue either way.

IgoFar2
02-04-2019, 10:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, and I frequently am, if the power to the horn goes through the horn switch then you will most definitely want to use the relay. The reason is, that an aftermarket horn can draw enough power to eventually destroy the horn switch. The switch is usually not designed for high current draw.

billybovine
02-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Here are my thoughts. BRP does not use a relay for their horn. The horn switch in the left handlebar controls makes the connection to ground completing the circuit. I have not seen anywhere how much current that switch can safely carry. It may be able to carry much more current safely. Just don't know. So considering that to fix that switch, if you burn it out, would mean replacing the whole control assembly and cost $400 plus. A relay is just cheap insurance.

Lew L
02-05-2019, 11:06 AM
I thought those horns were the same, just branded differently. Am I incorrect?

Concerning the Wolo "bad boy horn " and the Striebel " Nautilus horn:

I've been able to compare the two side by side. One on my V-Max( with a relay, of course) AND on on my 1998 Honda Valkyrie ( with the relay). Good batteries, bikes literally side by side. The Striebel was noticeable louder. I was about 25 feet in front as my wife did the horns. She didn't like either one as both were loud.
So are the horns the same?????? I don't know as I didn't take them apart. The Valkyrie had the safety chrome model. As hidden as the horn is on the :spyder2:------ It is painfully loud, even to my old, well abused ears----- WHAT?

Lew L

azprince
02-05-2019, 11:45 AM
I have been replacing the awful horns provided on motorcycles for 50+ years.( I have had 25 motorcycles)
Take the old horn off and toss it. Wire in two 2 tone horns in series and connect to the horn power output.
Done. Never had a problem.

Easy Rider
02-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Wire in two 2 tone horns in series and connect to the horn power output.
Done. Never had a problem.

Why in series ?
While that would certainly cut down the total power draw, I would think it would cut the total volume to about half too.

oldguyinTX
02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Amazon sells the Wolo horn with the relay. That's where I got mine. Hardest part was getting wires down to the battery, but all in all, not too bad.

Grandpot
02-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Concerning the Wolo "bad boy horn " and the Striebel " Nautilus horn:

I've been able to compare the two side by side. One on my V-Max( with a relay, of course) AND on on my 1998 Honda Valkyrie ( with the relay). Good batteries, bikes literally side by side. The Striebel was noticeable louder. I was about 25 feet in front as my wife did the horns. She didn't either one as both were loud.
So are the horns the same?????? I don't know as I didn't take them apart. The Valkyrie had the safety chrome model. As hidden as the horn is on the :spyder2:------ It is painfully loud, even to my old, well abused ears----- WHAT?

Lew L
Thanks for the reply. I have a Striebel on both my Valkyrie and 2011 RTS. Mounted them facing forward in the OEM positions.

Dmetcalf
02-05-2019, 04:24 PM
+1 for the 20 amp. Fuse and relay

lonestar2112
02-06-2019, 10:18 PM
The Stebel is rated at 123 dB. I do not know what the Wolo is rated at. I have mounted Stebels on all my M/C's. The I will be mounting a Stebel this spring, OBTW, use the relay. I always do. Never had an issue.