PDA

View Full Version : Heated Gear on the Ryker

WilliamTRyker
01-30-2019, 03:13 PM
I am looking to get some heated gloves or liners for my colder rides on the Ryker. Does anyone know where these things would be attached to the bike? Is it on the battery itself? Do these gloves come with connectors to the battery? How does it attach exactly...clamps?

Any suggestions on where to start/what to get would be appreciated as I am clueless on this topic. :(

Sarge707
01-30-2019, 03:58 PM
I am looking to get some heated gloves or liners for my colder rides on the Ryker. Does anyone know where these things would be attached to the bike? Is it on the battery itself? Do these gloves come with connectors to the battery? How does it attach exactly...clamps?

Any suggestions on where to start/what to get would be appreciated as I am clueless on this topic. :(

I use "Warm and Safe glove liners " I got from BajaRon for a Great price and they are better than the heated grips on my now gone 2012 RT. I use them on the F3 attached to the battery (Fuse Inline) and just bought a additional battery connector ($18) for the Ryker I will pick-up Monday.
Just attach them to the battery with your Maintainer clips and loop the wires around stuff. I will mount the controller on the little ledge on the left side just ahead of your seat and probably have the wire go behind the left cowl panel and attach in the trunk. I will post pictures when I get it next week.
You need the battery connection wire, the controller and the wires the glove liners are attached to. about $150?

Cornholio
01-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Yes they come with a lead that attaches to the battery terminals and runs up to a cord that you attach to the gloves. The ones I had came with a long cord for the glove side that you run up the sleeve of your jacket. It had 3 connections, 1 for each glove and one for the battery lead. The on/off and high/medium/low controller mounted on a clear pouch on the outside of the right glove. They keep your hands nice and toasty

Bfromla
01-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Heard some good things about these guys https://ravean.com have not got to test personally yet, & with the battery in the jacket 1 less thing to forget as I dismount:roflblack:

Easy Rider
01-31-2019, 10:24 AM
Every motorcycle....well almost every one......should have an SAE battery connector to hook up a battery tender when needed.
With a little planning, that connector can be located where it can be used for powered accessories too.

woods
01-31-2019, 11:44 AM
I wear Sedici Hot Wire gear.I got mine from cycle gear but I watched for sales.I bought the adapter that allows you to plug into the tender plug and wear the gear on spyder,bike and sleds.On the RT I have the tender plug under the seat and just pull it out when needed.As for the battery gear I have a Dragon Heat jacket and it is a huge disappointment.I believe the available output is very limited by the battery.None of these type jackets have heat in the sleeves.The hot wire is a thin liner but seems pretty windproof and has a high,fleece collar that if zipped all the way really keeps the breeze out.Been good to me for 4 years now so I recommend this brand or at least this type of gear.Haven't needed the gloves but there are connectors at the cuffs of the sedici jackets.

cueman
01-31-2019, 11:50 AM
Also try Gerbing heated gear. :thumbup: cueman

WilliamTRyker
01-31-2019, 02:30 PM
Every motorcycle....well almost every one......should have an SAE battery connector to hook up a battery tender when needed.
With a little planning, that connector can be located where it can be used for powered accessories too.

Does the Ryker have this SAE battery connector or do I need to add that? On my car I just clamp the battery tender to the battery and I do not use a special connector during the winter.

woods
01-31-2019, 04:12 PM
Usually the dealer puts it on for you,generally free.Should be somewhere you can see it without removing stuff.Ask your dealer if/where it is.

woods
01-31-2019, 04:16 PM
Otherwise hot wire comes with connectors and it's own plug n fuse.Hooks to battery posts.Just,to me,no sense having extra stuff hanging out if you don't have too.

Easy Rider
01-31-2019, 08:37 PM
Otherwise hot wire comes with connectors and it's own plug n fuse.Hooks to battery posts.Just,to me,no sense having extra stuff hanging out if you don't have too.

Nobody is suggesting "extra stuff".......quite the opposite in fact.

The same standard connector can be used to connect a battery tender and to run heated gear too.
This might require changing the connector on the heated gear, but I think some of it comes with the SAE battery connector already.

WilliamTRyker
02-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Just attach them to the battery with your Maintainer clips and loop the wires around stuff. I will mount the controller on the little ledge on the left side just ahead of your seat and probably have the wire go behind the left cowl panel and attach in the trunk. I will post pictures when I get it next week.
You need the battery connection wire, the controller and the wires the glove liners are attached to. about $150?

Hey Sarge, did you ever wire this up on the Ryker? I just bought some Warm & Safe heated liners, remote/controller and the "Y" cable myself and I was curious as to how you did it exactly.

jcthorne
02-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Anyone know the alternator specs on a Ryker to know if it can even handle the added load of heated gear?

cueman
02-03-2019, 02:45 PM
My Gerbings works fine with full jacket liner and heated gloves. :thumbup: cueman

cueman
02-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Let me ad that I will be installing LED head light bulbs that will use less power and brighter. cueman

Tslepebull
02-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Anyone know the alternator specs on a Ryker to know if it can even handle the added load of heated gear?

400 watts at 7,000 rpm according to the specs

jcthorne
02-03-2019, 06:18 PM
So about 1/3 of a 1330 Spyder and considerably less than the 600 provided by a 998 RT. I predict long term trouble putting significant heated gear loads on a Ryker for hours at a time.

WIDOWSSON
02-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Check out my gear for sale.