PDA

View Full Version : Ryker Tire Pressure Sensitivity

LandSurveyor
01-28-2019, 05:06 PM
So, I was bellyaching a week or so ago about the Ryker's "dartiness" at high speed on highway surfaces. I decided to remove my head from my rear and check the tire air pressures. It had been resting on my cold garage floor all evening when tested. Front right 24.5, Front left 22.5 and the rear was +/- 1lb from manual. Per instructions, corrected the fronts to 20.0 lbs each, and, Tada! Instant cure! All "dartiness" gone. For the heck of it, took it up to 91mph indicated, briefly. It's not really comfortable at that speed, but 70-75 was really not a chore. I'm thinking that if it will ever warm up, a long ride along Route 66 at 60-65 will be right in it's wheelhouse!

Also, while sitting (idling) in the drive at my brother-in-laws place, we noticed it relieving itself of coolant fluid onto his nice, new drive! After figuring out how to remove the "hood", we discovered that the cap on the coolant tank was not screwed down on the threads all the way. Refilled with a few ounces of distilled water, recapped and drove home. No more leaks and no further issues to report. It's a hellaciously fun little bike! Also, if you are wanting to maintain a low profile around town, this is NOT the machine for you! I have had more dudes age 40-70 go way (sometimes way, way!) out of their way to get a closer look. Seriously, EVERY time I hit a convenience store, here they come! Why can't it be women?!?

One other thing I noticed over the weekend was that these are apparently just as INVISIBLE to car drivers as motorcycles. Shocking, huh!

Chupaca
01-28-2019, 06:15 PM
could be even lower to help with the higher speeds . I run 17lbs on my RS which works well for me. The Ryker being much lighter the higher pressure helps with the fact it does not have the DPS (dynamic power steering) for low speed steering. Glad you have found your comfort spot....:thumbup:o

QuasiMotard
01-28-2019, 07:31 PM
:agree: :congrats:

--
QM

LandSurveyor
01-28-2019, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Chupaca. I'll give that a try when it warms up a bit. Have you had any problem with excessive tire wear running that low a pressure? It makes sense that the two fronts should be a little "softer" than the rear, but I wonder HOW low a pressure I could run safely? There's just all kinds of new things to think about going from 2 wheel geometry to a delta shape! Appreciate the good info, Sir!

Chupaca
01-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Chupaca. I'll give that a try when it warms up a bit. Have you had any problem with excessive tire wear running that low a pressure? It makes sense that the two fronts should be a little "softer" than the rear, but I wonder HOW low a pressure I could run safely? There's just all kinds of new things to think about going from 2 wheel geometry to a delta shape! Appreciate the good info, Sir!

Never had wear problems from tire pressure but have from alignment. Don't think these machines weigh enough to affect the tires from low air pressure not so much from to high an air pressure. Then you get into the whole car tires with added ply's that you have to compensate for. I just run the oem tires which work fine for me....:thumbup:

cueman
01-29-2019, 02:15 PM
When I buy tires, even from tire installation companies that I use for my cars and truck, It pays to check the air pressure ASAP to see if it is correct. I can't tell you how many times I've found not just incorrect psi. but not even uniform psi. in the tires. I realize to check them while cold and I have a quality air gauge from Summit Racing. It's just hard to get quality work any more. JMHO :dontknow: cueman