PDA

View Full Version : Ryker and a Trailer

Phloid
01-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Hello all. This will be be my first foray into three wheels. I will be picking up a Ryker Rally in March or April, depending on our snow levels.

I'm a little disappointed with the limited storage options on the Ryker as I still hope to do the odd overnight trip. I've seen plenty of Spyders pulling trailers but I don't know if that easily translates to the Ryker. Are the rear axles similar or will somebody have to design a unique hitch?

I'm curious what you all think on this. I'm not planning on any cross country trips, more likely a four hour ride to the mountains. I understand the Ryker is not a touring machine. I already take a break every 1-1.5 hours on my bikes so I expect the Ryker will be the same.

I prefer gravel travel so I debated between the Ural and Ryker Rally. The Rally won out for a number of reasons.

I'm moving away from two wheels for medical reasons.

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice.

Phloid

Bfromla
01-27-2019, 03:37 PM
Gotta wait & let the new settle in, hopefully there will be something not requiring a trailer mode the Ryker does not seem to have:dontknow: heard it has a Sport mode. Until then they offer the accessorie bags:thumbup:

Phloid
01-27-2019, 06:53 PM
Thanks @Bfromla, I didn't realize Spyders have a tow mode. I spent some time reading up on it but not overly relevant because of the transmission differences. So I looked to an automotive forum to read up on CVT's and towing. That was about as productive as reading a "what oil to use" thread on a dualsport forum.

I suspect someone will cross this bridge before I get to it.

The offered accessory luggage would suit me fine if I planned to motel my trips (although a single saddlebag triggers my obsession for symmetry). I'd still like the option of tent and sleeping bag.

Triumphcycleman
01-28-2019, 05:38 PM
The single sided swing arm is going to make it a challenge for sure.

Bfromla
01-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Hammock tent:2thumbs:

Nico75
04-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Hi all this is what I have made (you must have max mount ) two holes drilled through alloy mount straight through . A piece
Of 1/4 alloy plate 4in wide and long enough to extend past back o f bike and to take the givi waterproof bag which is
20ltr size 16 wide/ 7/1/2 deep / 9in across top , drill holes in base of givi to secure to alloy plate , use button head bolts so that my comfort seat slides over max mount it is calculated to be 2in from pillion grabs and I use little existing straps on bag I wish I could put pics on forum but don't know how!!regards Nico 75

Bfromla
04-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Hi all this is what I have made (you must have max mount ) two holes drilled through alloy mount straight through . A piece
Of 1/4 alloy plate 4in wide and long enough to extend past back o f bike and to take the givi waterproof bag which is
20ltr size 16 wide/ 7/1/2 deep / 9in across top , drill holes in base of givi to secure to alloy plate , use button head bolts so that my comfort seat slides over max mount it is calculated to be 2in from pillion grabs and I use little existing straps on bag I wish I could put pics on forum but don't know how!!regards Nico 75 PM sent

mikeyuberalles
04-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Page 70 of the manual states

Do not tow anything with the vehicle, it is not designed for this application.
In addition, the VSS will not be effective, you will be more likely to lose control.

Bfromla
04-05-2019, 06:07 AM
20ltr size 16 wide/ 7/1/2 deep / 9in across top , drill holes in base of givi to secure to alloy plate , use button head bolts so that my comfort seat slides over max mount it is calculated to be 2in from pillion grabs and I use little existing straps on bag I wish I could put pics on forum but don't know how!!regards Nico 75 lil email help &
170642 :yes:upside down pics:firstplace::roflblack:

Bfromla
04-05-2019, 06:17 AM
20ltr size 16 wide/ 7/1/2 deep / 9in across top , drill holes in base of givi to secure to alloy plate , use button head bolts so that my comfort seat slides over max mount it is calculated to be 2in from pillion grabs and I use little existing straps on bag I wish I could put pics on forum but don't know how!!regards Nico 75
Trying again with pics:170643170665170665170644170645170646170647

DGoebel
04-05-2019, 09:56 AM
I saved the picture to my computer, flipped it and saved it, then could put this back.

Triumphcycleman
04-05-2019, 11:39 AM
I don't believe the Ryker is the right choice for pulling a trailer for a number of reasons, including the clutch, the single sided swing arm, and the relative light weight of the machine. Any other Spyder would be a better choice

Nico75
04-10-2019, 04:45 AM
Hi all ref pics brake pedal extension is about double length of existing one Very hard to drill the two holes , but can be done
I used 1/4 alloy , countersink holes so boot won't catch , it's a lot better to use than little one .
Front suspension springs a covered with a type of cable protection, split along length so that you can press on springs and it grips start at top of Spring own work down and around ( it's hard work ) snip of with side cutters
Regards Nico 75

Bfromla
04-26-2019, 08:44 PM
More pics from Nico 75:171397
171398171399 proving I have yet to master correct orientation :p:roflblack::roflblack: