PDA

View Full Version : Caution regarding black classic panels

RykerUSA
01-27-2019, 09:35 AM
Got my Rally home yesterday and decided to paint the classic black panels. To start with I thought I would wipe them down with alcohol to prep for painting. I applied rubbing alcohol to a microfiber towel and then lightly wiped it down. I was surprised to see very fine scratches after this process. Since I was applying peelable paint, I wasn't too concerned; however those of you who want to keep the shiny black classic panels in good shape should take care.

Always here to serve.

QuasiMotard
01-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Got my Rally home yesterday and decided to paint the classic black panels. To start with I thought I would wipe them down with alcohol to prep for painting. I applied rubbing alcohol to a microfiber towel and then lightly wiped it down. I was surprised to see very fine scratches after this process. Since I was applying peelable paint, I wasn't too concerned; however those of you who want to keep the shiny black classic panels in good shape should take care.

Always here to serve.

Did the panel "bleach out" or get "chalky" on the surface after the alcohol wipe? That has happened to me on other motorcycles and scooters (particularly the floorboards) in the past... something about the ABS plastic... too soft or not as chemically-resistant as it should be. Meguiar's Ultimate Black restored the look for me in those cases: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/ultimate-black Since you are painting over the top, that probably wouldn't be an issue for you anyway.

--
QM

RykerUSA
01-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Nope. Not chalky. Just appeared to have very fine scratches when viewed from certain angles

nchangin
01-28-2019, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't alcohol and an abrasive cause this effect? I don't understand? What's the question? Is there some sand in your fiber? Some dust in it? Did you buy another pair and to propose a hypothesis?