PDA

View Full Version : Skiing after the Blizzard - then the Mini THAW

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-26-2019, 12:23 PM
What was almost perfect conditions …. the heavy rain and freezing temps turned the mountain into a mound of ICE :gaah::gaah::gaah: ……. it will take at least a week of Grooming and hopefully some snow ( either natural or man made ) to get it back to pleasant conditions ……….Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
01-26-2019, 02:38 PM
yup! That skiing on ice...is something else. :gaah:

Peter Aawen
01-26-2019, 05:32 PM
:agree: But you can go so Faaassst!! :shocked:

We get that 'bloody fantastic one morning, warm slush that arvo, then solid ice top to bottom the next morning' sorta stuff a LOT in our Aussie snowfields! :sour: And lotsa accidents & injuries as a result! :(

Chupaca
01-26-2019, 11:11 PM
See... now you got me wishing you snow and bad weather :roflblack: hope things improve soon.

2dogs
01-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Break out your old slaloms, sharpen the edges and go for it. No wax needed.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Break out your old slaloms, sharpen the edges and go for it. No wax needed.

Yes they were 203cm and would have much better hold ….. However I'm almost 72 :yikes: ….. so I'll wait until the conditions improve …… I have a season pass, have already skied for 29 days. So if I miss a few even a dozen I don't care ….. breaking something ( on me :roflblack: ) needs to be avoided - intelligence rules now ….. Thanks …. Mike :thumbup:

Lew L
01-27-2019, 07:47 PM
Snow is holding up great at Mt Rose. Skiing tomorrow. 100" base :ohyea: This resort does a GREAT grooming job. Many of the face runs ( black diamonds) are groomed and fast. About a 1500 ft vertical. Even this old man reaches 50 MPH ( shown on the Skitrax app.).

Lew L

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Snow is holding up great at Mt Rose. Skiing tomorrow. 100" base :ohyea: This resort does a GREAT grooming job. Many of the face runs ( black diamonds) are groomed and fast. About a 1500 ft vertical. Even this old man reaches 50 MPH ( shown on the Skitrax app.).

Lew L

Good for you …. when I went on Friday there was mostly ICE - not frozen granular …… it was solid ICE …. man made snow wasn't even sticking to it ….. We just got 3-4inches of mother nature's so I think it will be a lot better on Monday ( I'm skiing :ohyea:) ….Temps will about 15F with low winds :clap::clap:...…….. Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
01-27-2019, 08:34 PM
Don't allow 72 to become a barrier. If you miss an day of skiing you'll never be able to make that up again. Skiing ice will improve your over skills. Don't kill yourself, go slow make short radius turns and stay off the fall line. Make a half dozen turns and stop. Take a break and watch other people crash and burn. Then go to the bar get a toddy and go do it all over again. You have something 98% of other skiers would give their you know what for, a season pass and all the time in the world to use it. What better life could you have than be a 72 year old ski bum.

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Don't allow 72 to become a barrier. If you miss an day of skiing you'll never be able to make that up again. Skiing ice will improve your over skills. Don't kill yourself, go slow make short radius turns and stay off the fall line. Make a half dozen turns and stop. Take a break and watch other people crash and burn. Then go to the bar get a toddy and go do it all over again. You have something 98% of other skiers would give their you know what for, a season pass and all the time in the world to use it. What better life could you have than be a 72 year old ski bum.

However, If I Break my leg or anything else the season is Over …. I have nothing to prove, and I completely agree with Clint Eastwood ( :thumbup::thumbup:) ...a Man has to know His limitations ……… PS I don't ever drink and Ski ( or drive for that matter :roflblack:) …….. Thanks for the input …. Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
01-28-2019, 01:14 AM
LOL.....What do you think they make bota bags for anyway? So you don't have to stop and go into the lodge for a drink, that's what for. Bottom line you're right. if you don't feel confident and it's beyond your limits, don't do it. Crashing and burning at 72 requires a longer recovery time. Makes sense to me. I'm 73 and my knees are shot. Too many moguls I guess. That's probably why I'm a spyder owner these days.