PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Let's try this again from a different angle...

RykerUSA
01-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Others have asked about the miles per gallon for the 900. Several respondents said it really didn't matter. My concern is range of this vehicle. At interstate speeds, will the 900 get 200 miles per tank.

Inquiring minds need to know.

nchangin
01-20-2019, 10:56 AM
5.28 gallons of gas Ryker tank. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?116967-RYKER-MPG/page2 one guy said 28 to 29 other guy said hi 20's. So let's say conservatively 28 mpg.

If we know we get around 28 mpg, 5.28 gallons x 28 mpg = 147.84. I would say no, conservatively speaking.

If we go eco and say drive like your going to church and get 35 mpg, 5.28 x 35 = 184.80, still be short. Just for giggles if you had 40 MPG: 5.28 x 40 = 211.2.

Chupaca
01-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Being the same engine as the RT's since 2014 you can use those spec's as a guide maybe add a bit more for the lighter weight. May not be too much info out there on long distance ryding yet but hang in there maybe the warmer weather rykers are venturing out...:thumbup:

Rob Rodriguez
01-20-2019, 11:32 AM
200 miles to a tankful........I highly doubt it.

RykerUSA
01-20-2019, 12:34 PM
That's not what an inquiring mind wanted to hear.

Chupaca
01-20-2019, 02:09 PM
With the added data above and figuring the 5.28 is the tank capasity it will not make the 200. Figure it will not hold that much fuel to start with and considering reserve unless you run it till it is bone dry given the mpg's given, although they seem low, your gonna have to stop for fuel or carry a can....:banghead: I can average 31 mpg's on my RS and with its 6.6 gal capasity the best I ever got was 186 and it was on the verge of sucking air....I do carry a liter container of fuel just in case...You have no space but there have been those that added a tank in the frunk...:thumbup:

RykerUSA
01-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Well, I guess I'll just have to stop for gas every 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes when traveling on the interstate. Since I'm getting older, maybe that's not a bad thing.

BajaRon
01-20-2019, 02:48 PM
I seriously doubt we will be getting 200 miles from a tank on the Ryker. But stopping every 2-3 hours in the saddle isn't necessarily a bad idea. It can actually give you more total miles in a day before you've had enough than less stopping along the way. It's not a car where you can go for 400 or 500 miles between pit stops as easily.

Bfromla
01-20-2019, 03:48 PM
I seriously doubt we will be getting 200 miles from a tank on the Ryker. But stopping every 2-3 hours in the saddle isn't necessarily a bad idea. It can actually give you more total miles in a day before you've had enough than less stopping along the way. It's not a car where you can go for 400 or 500 miles between pit stops as easily.

& the Ryker not set up to go those distances in 1 trip its more for quick commute trips, in town near gas stations.

ARtraveler
01-20-2019, 04:06 PM
C'mon Ryker owners. I know you are just having to much fun....but will some of you do an actual computation on what you are getting so far.

Inquiring minds are wanting to know. Please.... :bowdown:

If we get enough...then we will have the proverbial "ballpark" to go with.

glennm
01-21-2019, 11:03 PM
200 miles to a tankful........I highly doubt it.

Bummer! was hoping to be able to get to my daughter's with fuel to spare even if I went the twisty way!

jaherbst
01-21-2019, 11:15 PM
A hundred miles on a Ryker at freeway speeds should be an adventure I would not want to take. Believe me you will want to stop and settle your wind beaten body long before you will need fuel. These are not designed to do

long distance riding but for sport riding short distances one up.

Jack

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-21-2019, 11:17 PM
IMHO the thing that will effect the Rykers gas mileage is the fact that it has a CVT transmission..... From what owners have said to date, is that at 60 mph the Ryker is at 5000 to 5500 RPM's ….. it takes more fuel to operate with higher RPM levels ...remember the 998 engine ………..just sayin …. Mike :thumbup:

glennm
01-22-2019, 02:09 AM
IMHO the thing that will effect the Rykers gas mileage is the fact that it has a CVT transmission..... From what owners have said to date, is that at 60 mph the Ryker is at 5000 to 5500 RPM's ….. it takes more fuel to operate with higher RPM levels ...remember the 998 engine ………..just sayin …. Mike :thumbup:

And yet in cars the manufacturers tell us they are more economical.

Point noted Jack. I have never had a bike with any wind protection so will be interesting when I test ride the Spyders and Ryker.

RykerUSA
01-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Jack, are you speaking from experience? Have you had one of these machines out on the interstate and is it really that tyring?

RykerUSA
01-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Just saw a video from an owner in New Jersey. He says 35 miles a a gallon in city ryding. Could that mean 40 miles an hour on the highway?

Sincerely,

Wishful Thinker.

WilliamTRyker
01-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Just saw a video from an owner in New Jersey. He says 35 miles a a gallon in city ryding. Could that mean 40 miles an hour on the highway?

I saw that video too...I think he's speaking completely anecdotally and I am not sure I would trust it.

A hundred miles on a Ryker at freeway speeds should be an adventure I would not want to take. Believe me you will want to stop and settle your wind beaten body long before you will need fuel.

Slightly off-topic but I took my Ryker out yesterday for about 15 minutes in 32 degree weather on some local roads (50 MPH). It was pretty windy, but I didn't notice it that much on my chest (no windscreen) , but my hands were completely frozen in just that short amount of time.

bscofield84
01-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Worst I got on the interstate - pouring rain, 70mph + pushing water on the interstate with front tires, 126 miles, ran out of gas at top of exist with gas station in site.
My 14 ST Spyder 6.2 gallon tank I believe.
Riding in not heavy rain conditions on the interstate, I average about 34 mpg.
The furthest I have pushed it has been a 185 miles before gas.

Michaelscs
01-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Worst I got on the interstate - pouring rain, 70mph + pushing water on the interstate with front tires, 126 miles, ran out of gas at top of exist with gas station in site.
My 14 ST Spyder 6.2 gallon tank I believe.
Riding in not heavy rain conditions on the interstate, I average about 34 mpg.
The furthest I have pushed it has been a 185 miles before gas.

bscofield84, to be clear, you're talking about your Spyder ST not the 900 Ryker this thread is about, correct?

AeroPilot
01-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Chupacas and bscofields rides being the 990 twins are the closest analogous comparisons at the moment that have some real world miles on them... Until somebody takes a 300 mile trip on the Ryker.

Then that specific ryder and Ryker combination will have a datapoint for their conditions. The rest is pretty well a SWAG. YMMV.. :popcorn:

bscofield84
01-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Sorry - didn't catch that they were indicating Ryker. I be bad :(

Triumphcycleman
01-22-2019, 04:53 PM
I don't think any of us "new" owners have enough miles on our Rykers to get a real sense of the mileage yet. (darn snow) It takes approx. 2,500 miles on it to get to the point of broken in. Talking to the factory guys that ran the demo trucks, they were seeing about 40 mpg under mixed riding conditions. Assuming we use only 4 1/2 gallons of the available tank that would put it at about 180 miles. Now for me, personally, I have determined that I have a 150 mile butt. It doesn't matter what I am on, after about 2 1/2 hours I am ready to get off and stretch my legs a bit. That's a 30 mile cushion for me and about perfect. I did note that the fuel light comes on pretty early. I could only get about 4 gallons in it after it thinking it was really low on fuel. I will need to do a true "fuel" run where I carry a bit extra and run it out to get the true range.

WilliamTRyker
01-22-2019, 05:51 PM
Talking to the factory guys that ran the demo trucks, they were seeing about 40 mpg under mixed riding conditions. Assuming we use only 4 1/2 gallons of the available tank that would put it at about 180 miles.

I'd be thrilled with around 40mpg and 180 mi range. That would get me to nearly North Myrtle Beach! (OK, maybe that's wishful thinking).

cueman
01-22-2019, 06:01 PM
I believe I read in the manual that the reserve light comes on at 1 gallon. Now, as for ryding far distance on a Ryker, I'm going to flash back to my younger days. I had a 1967 Harley FLH and it was my fun to ride bike, go to the store bike, bar hopper bike, work bike, and touring bike. One day I road that bike 10hrs. straight, stopping only for gas and pee break, sometimes not even getting off the bike to get gas on the way to the coast. I guess my point is, What you road seemed to work just fine for whatever you needed it for, when I was young. Now it seems like ever thing has to be specialized to perform a specific duty. I say lets ryde these Rykers where ever, when ever, and for how ever long we want! -----------------or until our health issues make us stop! :ohyea: cueman

CTAC
01-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Well said!!

Tslepebull
01-22-2019, 09:44 PM
This question was posted in an earlier thread about MPG. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?116967-RYKER-MPG. In that thread I posted MPG information I received from BRP that indicated their design envelope was for high 30's to low 40's depending on engine, load, and speed. Personally the highest I have seen on my Rally model was about 35 (as shown on the display as average MPG) and that was when I was putzing around the back roads at about 55 mph. I have not taken a prolonged trip at highway speed yet and currently have less than 300 miles total on the bike. As posted earlier in this thread engines and drive trains do loosen up a bit as they wear in and I have noticed abundant engine braking when chopping the throttle so I am hopeful my mileage will improve with time.

Freezefm
01-26-2019, 10:02 PM
This week I hit 1,000 miles. Most of my riding as of late has been single rider. The MPG has been steadily improving. The measured MPGs have been 31, 32, 38, 31, 35 and 39mpg. The Ryker electronics reported an average of 32.8, 33.1, and 33.6mpg on the last three fill-ups. The fill-ups have been about 4.5 gallons. The Fuel Low light comes on when the Autonomy shows about 40 miles left on the tank.
The farthest I've gotten on a tank is 175 miles.

Francis

Dubliner
01-27-2019, 05:52 AM
I agree with you Cueman, if you have ever ridden 150,000 miles on a Kawasaki 90 and used it for everything and going everywhere. A Ryker should be capable of doing all that and more comfortably don’t you think?

jaherbst
01-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Jack, are you speaking from experience? Have you had one of these machines out on the interstate and is it really that tyring?

I have actually demo'd Rykers twice for a total of about 50 miles. 30 miles at Freeway speeds and yes they beat you up good at these speeds. Anything under 45 is tolerable. Poor seat also.

Jack

farmer54
01-27-2019, 06:28 PM
I have to agree with cueman as I'm replacing a Honda ruckus(if you don't know it's 50cc). I think my 600 Ace will be like a Caddy compared to that. I wouldn't have a can am if a
Ryker hadn't been release but I have some balance issues that are getting worse so I was done riding this year. I think I can live with 35-40mpg but the Ruckus usually got 95-100mpg but top end was 32mph if no breeze. farmer54