PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar

KID Ryker
01-17-2019, 09:10 PM
Anyone changed the sway bar on the Ryker?

Chupaca
01-18-2019, 12:52 AM
I know BajaRon was looking into a sway bar for the ryker. Don't know that there is one out there yet...:dontknow: I'm sure there will be an interest in them...:thumbup:

KID Ryker
01-18-2019, 09:10 AM
BPR make a HD one. Just can't get the old 1 out.

Chupaca
01-18-2019, 11:10 AM
BPR make a HD one. Just can't get the old 1 out.

Gonna need to see the shop manual on this one and don't know if there is one out yet. Sometimes the parts breakdown can help if you go to cheapcycleparts.com you can have a look....:thumbup:

NM Wrench
01-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Whole front end has to come off including the radiator

Tslepebull
01-19-2019, 09:08 AM
I haven/t pushed mine hard enough yet to where I feel the need for the HD sway bar; I'm still getting used to it. What handling characteristics should I look for?

Michaelscs
01-19-2019, 10:22 AM
I haven/t pushed mine hard enough yet to where I feel the need for the HD sway bar; I'm still getting used to it. What handling characteristics should I look for?

Diving to the outside of a curve in a fast corner. Front end dive to the outside in a swerve.

PW2013STL
01-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Diving to the outside of a curve in a fast corner. Front end dive to the outside in a swerve.

So Mike,

Are you going to have the HD sway bar added to Val's?

Les

Michaelscs
01-19-2019, 07:29 PM
So Mike,

Are you going to have the HD sway bar added to Val's?

Les

IF we get one, we'll drive it first and determine if it needs one!

See does look good on one though!

AraņaRider
01-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Forgive my ignorance. What’s the sway bar used for?��

Tslepebull
01-19-2019, 09:15 PM

The way she is smiling I think the " if " will be when

PW2013STL
01-19-2019, 09:22 PM

That she does!

cueman
01-19-2019, 10:16 PM
I have the Rally with the adj. KYB shocks and I adj. to the 4th ring showing on the shock body. This helped a lot, much stiffer and more level in curves. Maybe try this first and see if helps. ;) cueman

bhern
01-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Forgive my ignorance. What’s the sway bar used for?��

No forgiveness needed, but I do encourage you to use the search to see all the threads where this is discussed so you get a full range of views.

In short, on the Spyder, the general experience is that the stock anti-sway bar permits too much sway -- as noted by another poster, the give/play you feel when taking turns at speed.

I'm not an experienced motorcyclist, but I certainly noticed the issue -- I would get a bit of an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach as the bike would pitch or dive before responding positively in a turn. BajaRon makes a more rigid after-market anti-sway bar and links to reduce/eliminate that issue. I had it installed in mine, and immediately noticed the difference. The bike just feels locked and stable in turns the way you want it to feel.

Tslepebull
01-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Cueman, how did you adjust to the 4th ring? I have not found a tool to do this.

cueman
01-20-2019, 04:15 PM
I just used my hands and pushed down and turned to show the 4th line. It may help if you jack the front tire off the ground, but I found it easier to just turn the spring as tightening. :thumbup: cueman

Tslepebull
01-20-2019, 08:55 PM
I just used my hands and pushed down and turned to show the 4th line. It may help if you jack the front tire off the ground, but I found it easier to just turn the spring as tightening. :thumbup: cueman

Woof, you must have the grip of Hercules. I couldn't get mine to budge. Do you remember the 90 lb. weakling from Boys Life magazine? Stupid broken wrist!

HongKongPhooey
01-20-2019, 09:20 PM
I know just enough to be dangerous but I have a Miata that I use mainly for auto cross and when I installed anti sway bars on it, I thought I really had something because the body roll was much less pronounced, but the guys with coilovers/shocks and springs AND sway bars were usually faster, if you minimize body roll (car terms I know), you have to match it with proper pre-load and dampening (compression and rebound) to be most effective. That being said, anti sway bars do make a difference, just don't get sucked into a false sense of security when blazing into corners.

AraņaRider
01-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Thank you Bhern !

cueman
01-20-2019, 09:40 PM
Woof, you must have the grip of Hercules. I couldn't get mine to budge. Do you remember the 90 lb. weakling from Boys Life magazine? Stupid broken wrist!

I'm sure you can get a shock adj. wrench, but there are so many different sizes and if they don't fit just right, they can slip and do damage to your new bike. So after trying the spanners I had, I figured it would be better to just "suck up the pain" and do it by hand. :thumbup: cueman