PDA

View Full Version : Messing with scammers

Rogue Hawk
01-15-2019, 03:39 PM
So I got this scam call today. I must be on some “Sap” list somewhere. I have gotten several like this. I've never falling for it because I start asking for details.

So it went like this:
I’ll call him, let’s see…Jimmy

(Broken English and caller id failed, btw)
Jimmy: “I am calling to confirm the refund from my company for $299”.
Me: “What refund?” Already suspicious btw.
Jimmy: “The refund owed to you”
Me: “Refund for what?”
Jimmy: “The refund owed to you…$299”
Me: “What refund?”
Jimmy: “Your computer maintenance contract.”
(Now I am using a growing demanding voice. I am not upset, I just wanted to make him sweat)
Me: “What is the name of your company and for which computer?”
(At this point, he started to stutter incomprehensibly)
Jimmy: “My company <stutter> is moving your Windows computer contract <fizz fuzz wop>”
Me: “What refund?”
Jimmy: “Your computer maintenance contract.”
Me: “Which one, I have three Windows computers?” (I’m fibbing)
Jimmy: “I just need to confirm your account <fizz bleep bop>.”

It went on like this for a while, I then start laughing. He hangs up.

Next time I get one of these I will keep him on line for a while and then tell him I’m Agent John Kennedy (Got to use a real official name) and you called a CIA field office. We traced you.

It reminded me of this TED talk:
https://www.neatorama.com/neatogeek/2016/02/10/Comedian-Delivers-TED-Talk-About-His-Adventures-In-Spammer-Trolling/

Grandpot
01-15-2019, 04:23 PM
I like doing stuff like that too. I figure if they are going to mess with me, I'll mess with them. Good job!

BajaRon
01-15-2019, 05:27 PM
I get a number of these each year. Not counting the hundreds of scam emails. They want to inform me that my Apple account (which I don't have) my Paypal account, my Microsoft account and various bank/credit card/etc., accounts have been limited/closed/compromised, whatever.

Lately I've been getting calls saying my computer OS has been hacked and they need access to it via remote access software to 'Clean' Malware off before it does any damage.

Do people actually fall for this stuff? They must! Because if it did not work, they would quit.

ARtraveler
01-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Happens all the time to me. If I am in the mood I play the game with them, waste their time, eventually call their bluff.

As many calls as one gets, there must be a lucrative market of "victims" out there.

Chupaca
01-15-2019, 05:59 PM
You all don't get the one from the IRS stating that the cops will be at your door soon if you don't call this number....:roflblack: Or the IRS is filing a lawsuit agaist you and to stop it call...... I do get family member calling me in a panic "What should I do..:yikes:" so it does work ....:banghead:

Bob Denman
01-15-2019, 06:05 PM
Here's what I've done in the past...

As soon as they start speaking: I say:
"Ssssssssshhhhhhh…. Not so loud. I did it, but there's blood everywhere. Bring the car around, and get me the Hell out of here!"

canamjhb
01-15-2019, 11:38 PM
I try to keep the buggers on the line as long as I can. Waste their time because they are wasting mine. Seems like I get fewer of these calls. Maybe I'm on their "do not call list"...... Jim

PMK
01-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Often, when they call about my Windows computer being infected, I keep them on as long as possible, playing dumb about anything computers, then explain to them my computer is maintained by the IT department at work and I work for the US Department of Defense, or FBI, or CIA.

However, I do like Bobs comment about the murder scene.

I did have one guy give me lip and start F bombing me, to which I suggested he go eat some bacon.

Johndeeredoo
01-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Often, when they call about my Windows computer being infected, I keep them on as long as possible, playing dumb about anything computers, then explain to them my computer is maintained by the IT department at work and I work for the US Department of Defense, or FBI, or CIA.

However, I do like Bobs comment about the murder scene.

I did have one guy give me lip and start F bombing me, to which I suggested he go eat some bacon.

Its better when you let them have it when you say your with the IRS.

Bob Denman
01-16-2019, 08:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-16-2019, 08:09 AM
I tell them this is benjamin dover industries and are they interested in any of our products or services

Rogue Hawk
01-16-2019, 10:27 AM
You all don't get the one from the IRS stating that the cops will be at your door soon if you don't call this number....:roflblack: Or the IRS is filing a lawsuit agaist you and to stop it call...... I do get family member calling me in a panic "What should I do..:yikes:" so it does work ....:banghead:

I got that one several times. The number come from the East Coast somewhere. They are stupid to operate within the US.

Blue Star
01-16-2019, 07:41 PM
I had that one once, and was told they needed my bank account and routing number to process the refund. I told them I had to get my check book, and will be right back. Put the phone on mute, and waited five minutes with him saying "hello and are you there" before he hug up. Love having an unlimited plan.