PDA

View Full Version : Ask and ye shall recieve... photos of my latest Garmin/Speaker/Camera set-up

SpyderGirl
06-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I had several people ask for pictures of my current speaker setup. This includes my RAM mount for my digital camera and my RAM mount for the Garmin. And I'm sorry that the Spyder is dirty, but I haven't had time to wash it. She'll get a nice detail before the LA trip I assure you.... maybe a group of us should invade a car wash the Friday night before. :)

ALSO, please ignore all the crap in my garage.... and I assure you that those road signs in the garage were legitimately and legally obtained.

SpyderGirl
06-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Video and more photos.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4pSiDWu_XY

docdoru
06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
:thumbup::2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
06-14-2009, 06:25 PM
The summary...

I have the speakers mounted using 7/8" clamps to the handlebars. I had to cut away part of the steering cover plate to expose the bar underneath.

Next I added a handlebar mount switch next to the right side speaker to turn the amp on and off. The switch is also wired to ignition power to prevent me from leaving it on accidentally. The amp is mounted in the trunk and has an 3.5mm jack input for a MP3 player, iPod, iPhone, Garmin, XM, etc....

I have a powerlet outlet on the right side in the dash that has a plug that goes to a outlet on the side of my tank bag. Inside is a Y cigar outlet splitter for the Garmin power plug to go into.

The Garmin is mounted to a RAM mount in the front center of the console between the handlebars and the tank bag. The camera is mounted to a RAM mount bolted to the windshield and gives a nice and unobstructed view of the road and almost all the wind noise is blocked.

I had no difficulty operating the camera or Garmin with gloved hands while riding. The Nuvi is not waterproof, but I'm not too worried about that. I have no problems hearing the Garmin driving directions or the MP3 player even at 85 MPH (tested this yesterday). The Garmin auto turns off the music long enough to give directions then goes back to the music.

SpyderGirl
06-14-2009, 06:29 PM
OH, and if ANYONE knows how to use the audio out jack on the Garmin and having it charging with the 12v plug at the same time without speaker interference, please let me know. I absolutely need to find a way around this.

dltang
06-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Very Nice set up. :2thumbs:

NEWARKSPYDER
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
:2thumbs: I like it!!:congrats:

SpyderGirl
06-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Thank you, thank you. :2thumbs:

:ohyea: Less than 2 weeks til LA!! :2excited:

carbolic
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
You're nuts and I mean that in a good way! Nice install and the camera application made me LOL! Who thinks of these things!?

RubyRed
06-16-2009, 10:34 PM
nice setup and good music too.. hehe

SpyderGirl
06-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the compliments. :)

vt228
06-17-2009, 07:29 AM
:clap: nice setup and good music put a sigeret lighter plug in and you can plug in I have one in my trunk with a fuzz o it 20 amp nice vido on your work .:2thumbs::2thumbs::D

SpyderGirl
06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
:clap: nice setup and good music put a sigeret lighter plug in and you can plug in I have one in my trunk with a fuzz o it 20 amp nice vido on your work .:2thumbs::2thumbs::D

I have two cigar 12v plugs on my dash and two inside my tank bag. I get fuzz with it plugged into any of them and the 3.5mm audio out plugged into my amp/speaker system then into the audio out on the Garmin. I have opted to move the Garmin to the mount on my windshield where the camera is for longer trips where I would probably would be be using the camera less or not at all. The RAM mounting is interchangeable. That way I could just glance down to the Garmin without really taking my eyes off the road and not use the audio out. Unless someone has another option because I would prefer to be able to hear the voice prompts?? Lamont says he doesn't use the audio on his Garmin so he doesn't have this issue. I assume that's what he does instead. Correct me if I am wrong.

NancysToy
06-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I have two cigar 12v plugs on my dash and two inside my tank bag. I get fuzz with it plugged into any of them and the 3.5mm audio out plugged into my amp/speaker system then into the audio out on the Garmin. I have opted to move the Garmin to the mount on my windshield where the camera is for longer trips where I would probably would be be using the camera less or not at all. The RAM mounting is interchangeable. That way I could just glance down to the Garmin without really taking my eyes off the road and not use the audio out. Unless someone has another option because I would prefer to be able to hear the voice prompts?? Lamont says he doesn't use the audio on his Garmin so he doesn't have this issue. I assume that's what he does instead. Correct me if I am wrong.
Nancy has two mounts, but we prefer the center mount, above the dash behind the windshield far better, for the reasons you have stated. I use a similar position on my BMW. We have the ability to hook up the audio through our comm systems, but never bother. The turn directions show up very well on the display, which is now in plain sight, so we just glance down from time to time. At low speeds, in town, I can actually hear the audio, even with a full face helmet and a volume that is low enough to use in the car.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

SpyderGirl
06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Then I guess that's the way it's going to have to be. I'll just rearrange the mounts when I want to use the camera, it doesn't take long.