PDA

View Full Version : My Spyder bloopers - I will tell you mine if you tell us yours

seaweed
01-13-2019, 06:07 PM
I am posting this in the this forum instead of the off topic board in hopes that my bloopers may help others!

Blooper #1
I gassed up in a town on my way for a 200 mile round trip. Headed out of town and the road took a sharp left then a sharp right. Between the curves was a sharp incline. Made it thru the first curve okay, up the incline and then thru the second curve. I then felt that the inside of my lower left leg was wet. Pulled off the road to investigate, as soon as I stopped I could smell gas. I lifted the seat up and found that I had not put the gas cap back on. It was laying right next to the fuel opening. So from now on I am very careful to put the cap back on and secure it.

I try to live and learn and to enjoy life along the way.

More bloopers to follow. nojoke

Mick N
01-13-2019, 06:11 PM
Well, that's a new way to pass gas! :gaah:

ARtraveler
01-13-2019, 07:36 PM
I am posting this in the this forum instead of the off topic board in hopes that my bloopers may help others!

Blooper #1
I gassed up in a town on my way for a 200 mile round trip. Headed out of town and the road took a sharp left then a sharp right. Between the curves was a sharp incline. Made it thru the first curve okay, up the incline and then thru the second curve. I then felt that the inside of my lower left leg was wet. Pulled off the road to investigate, as soon as I stopped I could smell gas. I lifted the seat up and found that I had not put the gas cap back on. It was laying right next to the fuel opening. So from now on I am very careful to put the cap back on and secure it.

I try to live and learn and to enjoy life along the way.

More bloopers to follow. nojoke

Your thread placement is fine. :yes:

safecracker
01-13-2019, 08:10 PM
The only incidents that come mind is not closing the rear trunk fully. So you get tbzt warning as you head out on the road. I am happy to say I haven't left Suzanne at a pit stop yet. Hehe.

Blue Star
01-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Washed my RT, and while either washing or drying I hit the kill switch. After I was done the RT would not start, and I was afraid I shorted out something in the electronics. At the time I never used the kill switch to turn off the motor.

Ex-Rocket
01-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Mine happened when I bought my very first Spyder, a 2012 RTS. The dealership who I purchased it from was instructing me on what switches did what and explaining everything about the bike. After a while it was time to head home and I go out to the bike, turn the key and hit the starter button and nothing. I tried several times the same procedure and the bike still wouldn't start. I walked back inside the dealership and told them the bike wouldn't start. They came out and the bike started right up. I had forgotten one important step after turning the ignition key on, was to press the menu button and then the starter button. I guess I'll just blame it on old age as I just forgot.

Chupaca
01-13-2019, 11:58 PM
Wow..!! That must have been scary...:yikes: come to think of it there was a time I did not fully release the park brake ( sm5 has a foot operated park brake) and drove off wondering 🤔 why so sluggish..?? :roflblack:

Peter Aawen
01-14-2019, 12:32 AM
I've been happily ryding along a looong straight stretch of road comfortably on cruise just a smidge above the posted limit; reached out my right hand for the drink bottle (the holder's on the right, a deliberate safety choice so I can only use it when it's safe to do so & I'm on cruise) gulped down a mouthful & dropped the bottle back into the holder; only to have the speed start to drop off fairly quickly!! :shocked:

Thinking "dammit, I must've switched cruise off!" I tried resetting that, only it's a no go, speed is still dropping & now a bunch of lights have appeared on the dash.... & the Semi I passed a short while back is also rapidly gaining & beginning to loom large in the mirrors!! :yikes: AAAaaargh, what've I done!?!? What's busted?!? :gaah: Why is it so quiet..... :dontknow:

And THAT's when I realised I'd rested my hand on the kill switch when I dropped the bottle back into the holder...... Bloody Beginners move!! :opps: Flicked the switch back to run, engine fired immediately and away I went again.... no harm, no foul. :yes: Trucker hadn't even got on the brakes but he was wondering what I'd hit to slow so fast, & wasn't sure if running over it (& me!) would hurt his rig!! :p You'll only need to do that the ONCE to focus your attention & remember never to do it again!! :lecturef_smilie:

Oh, and Yes! SE5 Spyders certainly WILL roll start if you can get them moving fast enough to spin up the Centrifugal Clutch! :thumbup:

Bfromla
01-14-2019, 02:44 AM
Have had to replace a couple gas caps here too, either a distraction from reseating trip meters(dash & gps)+ inputting data to my fully app, then there is usually someone interested in the bike asking questions. & that IF the pump actually printed the receipt. {yes it's a bit much, but does what I want}
Oh ya & tighten the back rest correctly in place making sure the flag is not gonna fly off.

viperryder
01-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Went to lunch with some friends on a very hot day so I figured I would cover the bike to keep the heat off. Well while doing this I accidently hit the kill switch. Tried to start the Spyder, after lunch while my friends were looking on, and I could not get it to start. Checked every thing I could, then my WIFE asked, did you hit the kill switch when covering. Boy, I felt about 2 inches tall when my friends started to laugh. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

PrairieSpyder
01-14-2019, 08:41 AM
The side bag on my last RTS had a problem with staying closed and that's where I stored my travel cover. I was riding the twisted sisters in Texas with a group and at a stop sign someone told me my side bag was open. Spyder cover was gone, of course. I left the group and back-tracked to find it but never did. That's when I started hearing stories of people having problems with those hinges. It's also when I learned to always lock the side bags, no matter which model I have.

Spydermike
01-14-2019, 09:00 AM
More than once (and not telling exactly how many times!), I start it up, put it into gear, twist the throttle.... then realize I forget to hit the parking brake.

With only 700 miles under my belt, I'm sure there will be a lot more lol

Tango
01-14-2019, 09:23 AM
I also have had the "kill switch" moment here and there. When I got my first Spyder, '14 RT, It took a few rides to stop trying to put a foot down when I stopped. :roflblack: Tom :spyder:

easysuper
01-14-2019, 09:49 AM
My "First" blooper was going back the the dealer the next day wanting to replace the missing panel on my RT that I thought fell off and waiting for a half-hour while he looked for it!

Spyder601
01-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Well my expensive blooper was I had my cell phone in the X grip (which I had used for 6 years I might add) I reached over to change a song and some how my phone came loose due to the rubber end coming off the X-grip and fell to the pavement at 70 MPH. I then spent a hour on the side of the road looking for the phone (which I had just purchased 2 weeks prior) I was able to locate the phone using where's my phone app on my Dads phone. I had an Otter box case so the phone only had a busted screen but still worked. 150 bucks later she was good as New. I purchased a new X-Grip and now I use the Harness for the X-grip and phone will not budge.

Fatcycledaddy
01-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Mine happened when I bought my very first Spyder, a 2012 RTS. The dealership who I purchased it from was instructing me on what switches did what and explaining everything about the bike. After a while it was time to head home and I go out to the bike, turn the key and hit the starter button and nothing. I tried several times the same procedure and the bike still wouldn't start. I walked back inside the dealership and told them the bike wouldn't start. They came out and the bike started right up. I had forgotten one important step after turning the ignition key on, was to press the menu button and then the starter button. I guess I'll just blame it on old age as I just forgot.

:roflblack: I got ny Spyder in 2015 and LOVE it. In the spring of 2018, I went out to fire up the Spyder for the first ride of the year and couldn't get it to start. Took me about 10 min of checking kill switch, brake switch, battery, and then I realized what I had done. Same as you, I had forgotten that stupid MODE button.
When the wife asked what was wrong with it, I told her she wouldn't understand, but I fixed it. :yes:

missouriboy
01-14-2019, 12:59 PM
I've had my moments with the kill switch too, I guess most of us have.
But I thought you could NOT close the seat with the gas cap lying in the way? Dunno, I guess I'll have to check it. I too have been distracted lots of times by curious onlookers while trying to refuel.

Here's a booboo I did though: I tried to attach my remote gate opener to the left handlebar. It worked OK until one day I did a turnaround on a narrow street, and when cranking the steering all the way left, the attachment struck and set the Parking Brake! I didn't know what happened for a sec, and couldn't get the Spyder to move. Until the beep-beep brake warning told me what was wrong. So if you ever attach something to the handlebar, be sure to test thru its full travel to ensure clearance over the dashboard rocker switches.

seaweed
01-14-2019, 01:37 PM
From what I have read it seems that the KILL switch is the most common cause for a BLOOPER. It would be nice it there was a light on the console similar to the parking brake light. I know this may not help when accidentally hitting it while ryding. I have a few more bloopers to share with you later.

canamjhb
01-14-2019, 01:38 PM
On a ride with my wife who was riding her Goldwing and another Spyder rider. We stopped for fuel. I had to back up to get out of the gas station which I did. Then I could not get the bike into gear. Just sat there trying "everything" while the other two bikes waited. Finally, the other Spyder rider asked if I was applying the brake when going from reverse to forward......:banghead: Problem solved

Chefex
01-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Ok, try to top this one. Bought a brand new 2016 RT-S, got it home, and ordered some kuryakin hand grips to put on it. Didn't realize that I bought the wrong grips and just followed the instructions. Told me to cut the old grips off and just slide the new grips on. 1. did the left side first and forgot that I had heated grips so ruined that feature. Figured well I did it now so might as well do the other side also. 2. Was already angry so just went ahead and did the other side. Ended up cutting my throttle off. You probably heard the screaming and cussing. $1500 later had the bike back to the original stock. needless to say, I didn't get any new grips. LOL

CopperSpyder
01-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Ok, try to top this one. Bought a brand new 2016 RT-S, got it home, and ordered some kuryakin hand grips to put on it. Didn't realize that I bought the wrong grips and just followed the instructions. Told me to cut the old grips off and just slide the new grips on. 1. did the left side first and forgot that I had heated grips so ruined that feature. Figured well I did it now so might as well do the other side also. 2. Was already angry so just went ahead and did the other side. Ended up cutting my throttle off. You probably heard the screaming and cussing. $1500 later had the bike back to the original stock. needless to say, I didn't get any new grips. LOL

:firstplace: got my vote :cheers:

ARtraveler
01-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Forgot about this one...

Spring time (early March)...eager to get in the first ride of the season. Snow was mostly gone from my driveway. Backed my 2010 RT out of the garage, and got it stuck in the muck and gravel.

No problem...just gun that sucker and get it out. It grabbed a bunch of gravel stones, got them stuck in the belt, and broke the drive belt. Now, I am sitting in a hole down to the axel with a broken drive belt.

After the tow, the belt, and the labor to fix it...I made a $500 mistake. :gaah:

CopperSpyder
01-14-2019, 03:05 PM
I can see myself do some of these things, biggest thing I have done so far is trying to back out of the garage and spinning the tire because I left my foot on the brake. Now I have a big old tire mark in the middle of the garage.

AeroPilot
01-14-2019, 03:14 PM
I Used a floor jack on the 2011 RT to raise it up. The metal cup slid off the main frame box tube and ended up breaking a plastic panel. I have used the floor jack many times since on the RTs or F3T, but ALWAYS with a rubber tire tread strip to cushion and grip the main frame rail.

Never had a problem since. Live and learn I guess.

PW2013STL
01-14-2019, 03:25 PM

You Win :firstplace:

PW2013STL
01-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Ok - mine was changing the rear tire on my 2015 F3s. I was lowering the Spyder onto the rear wheel with my ATV jack when I released to quickly and the Spyder bounced off the jack causing the rear brake mounting plate to hit the speed sensor damaging it. (I did not know it at the time). Put everything back on and went for a ride - or tried to. Spyder would not shift and got limp home mode. Had it towed to my dealer to get it fixed. Cost over $270.

bluewoo
01-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Was trying a demo last year for the first time on a 2017 RT-L, was trying to see if it fits in my toy hauler and couldn't remember how to get it into reverse!
Thanks goodness for Google.:opps:

The wife was laughing at me as I was getting frustrated and swearing......

ARNIE R
01-14-2019, 10:15 PM
Seems I pulled the very same stunt once.......scared the crap outta me.:shocked:

ARNIE R
01-14-2019, 10:16 PM
I Used a floor jack on the 2011 RT to raise it up. The metal cup slid off the main frame box tube and ended up breaking a plastic panel. I have used the floor jack many times since on the RTs or F3T, but ALWAYS with a rubber tire tread strip to cushion and grip the main frame rail.

Never had a problem since. Live and learn I guess.

Seems I pulled the very same stunt once.......scared the crap outta me.

LJspydee
01-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Our first RT had foot pegs and after years of riding with foot pegs, two wheel and Spyder, I didn't want floorboards. Our newest RT came with floorboards so I talked the dealer into giving me a set of footpegs. Before I could get the footpegs on we went to a rally. On the last ryde of the rally as we started my GPS fell off and landed on the floorboards and stayed there till I retrieve it. I believed it was a sign and have had the floorboards on ever since.

RapidSpyder
01-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Done that.. more than once...

Peteoz
01-14-2019, 11:28 PM

I remember that that thread, Chefex. As soon as you said you cut the grip, I thought “oh, no, you poor bugger.....that’ll be expensive”:(

Peteoz
01-14-2019, 11:41 PM
I bought one of Lamont’s IPS key covers. Took the F3 out for a ride, needed to do a u-turn to head back home, half way around the F3 just stopped and was beeping at me. Quite frightening when there’s a B-Double heading down the road toward you. It appears that when I rotated the handlebars up (removing the limiting nub), it also tightened my GPS cable. On full lock, the GPS cable then snagged one of the fins on the IPS and rotated it, turning the F3 off. The beeping was the handbrake kindly reminding me that I hadn’t set it before turning the motor off. By sheer luck I found the problem quickly, turned the IPS on and rolled off the road. THIS IS NOT A FAILING OF THE IPS. It was caused inadvertently by me removing the handlebar rotation limiting nub. D’oh
Pete

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-14-2019, 11:42 PM
I was backing my 2013 RT one time, running the front tires up onto car ramps. I don't remember exactly but I think the ramp on the right side started sliding on the floor. Of course I didn't want the left wheel to come back so far it would drop off the back end of the ramp so I hit the brakes, hard. It was enough to cause the front of the RT to dip with the end of the right mud flap contacting the apex of the ramp. The end of the fender where the mud flap was attached snapped almost completely off instantly! Plastic repair cement held it all together after that. By that time it was a reasonably well used Spyder so I decided that's the breaks and eventually sold it with an injured right front fender!

Blue Star
01-14-2019, 11:51 PM

Okay, I can top it. Took my 2010 RS into the dealer for a service, and took home a 2012 RT. Wait a second, that is not a bad blooper. You win :2thumbs:

davehirst
01-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Have had to replace a couple gas caps here too, either a distraction from reseating trip meters(dash & gps)+ inputting data to my fully app, then there is usually someone interested in the bike asking questions. & that IF the pump actually printed the receipt. {yes it's a bit much, but does what I want}
Oh ya & tighten the back rest correctly in place making sure the flag is not gonna fly off. I always put the gas cap on my seat, that way I can't forget to reinstall.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
I always put the gas cap on my seat, that way I can't forget to reinstall.
Be sure to always put it on the driver seat! Put it on the passenger seat like I did my Spot tracker and you may never see it again!!! :yikes: :roflblack:

LeftCoast
01-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Had only had my RTL for a short time after not having ridden at all for 3 years and went on my first little ride with a friend on a Harley. I was in front and we got to a road repair bridge that was one lane. Crossing the bridge, which was next to a ditch, was controlled by an automated stop light so only one side could go at a time but there was no mention of how often the light changed. Well my friend and I sat there for a good 45 seconds with no change of signal and no cars on the other side of the bridge. So being the resourceful chap that I am I notice there is a push button on the signal light pole just like the one you’d see at a crosswalk. So in my incredible wisdom I decide I’m gonna go push that thing and get us on our way. Not wanting to look like the beginner I am I hop off the right side of the bike, with vigor mind you, without having set the parking brake. Naturally the bike begins to roll. Seeing this I immediately grab what is commonly known as “the throttle” to stop the bike from rolling. For some reason throttle and acceleration made no connection in my mind at all nor did the fact that grabbing that bit of motorcycle would also result in something known as “acceleration of the human idiot ”, which it did jerking me forward With ferocity while now becoming very aware of the nearby ditch. This bit of excitement was immediately followed by what I assume was the nanny deciding that acceleration at an alarming rate should not happen with no rider on board. So nanny did what nanny does and immediately slammed on the brakes (at least that’s what I think happened). Unfortunately my forward acceleration had no brakes as I was pretty much airborne and I slammed hard into the windscreen putting some nice bruising on the old rib cage. My friend on the Harley almost laid his bike down he was laughing so hard. To complete the embarrassment the light had turned green just after I got off the bike.

I will never forget the 10 or so lessons I learned in about 5 seconds.

tehrlich
01-15-2019, 04:57 PM
I installed Lamont's foot pegs in 2015. This summer I had SpyderPops put in a new horn at the Deadwood 3 Wheel event. They laughed because a closed end wrench was STILL on a nut just inside. It was all rusted. It had been there for nearly two years and probably 20K miles.

I keep it with my Spyder as my "Guardian Bell."

Peteoz
01-15-2019, 11:50 PM
I installed Lamont's foot pegs in 2015. This summer I had SpyderPops put in a new horn at the Deadwood 3 Wheel event. They laughed because a closed end wrench was STILL on a nut just inside. It was all rusted. It had been there for nearly two years and probably 20K miles.

I keep it with my Spyder as my "Guardian Bell."

Hahaha.......you aren’t a surgeon are you, Todd ? :2thumbs:

pegasus1300
01-16-2019, 12:49 AM
When I put the gel pad that I got from Dave in my seat as I removed one of the bolts from the seat to take it off I dropped it and sure enough it went down the black hole. I managed to not have the fumbles on the other and removed it successfully. When I went to reinstall the seat, yup the fumbles came back and away the remaining bolt went. No I didn't learn anything about black holes the first time. I rode the Spyder for a couple of months with only the latch peg holding the seat on.

PrairieSpyder
01-16-2019, 09:11 AM
I have to take my glasses off to remove or put on my helmet. I used to put them on the back seat of my RTS. A few years ago when we rode to Alaska, we had either just had lunch or refueled. We were finally riding on some decent pavement at a good speed when I realized I didn't have my glasses on. I pulled over and, sure enough, no glasses to be found. I backtracked and found them in the middle of the road, all bent up. I did the rest of the trip without corrective lenses. Maybe I'll go back to Alaska someday and see what I missed!

Pirate looks at --
01-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Two bloopers involving similar circumstances. I was leading a group of 20 or so SPYDERS on ryde up Ebbetts Pass at the Nor-Cal Spyder rally. We got to the top at 8500 feet or so and stopped for a photo op. Took out my new iPhone and took some pictures. Got ready to head back down and got all geared up to head back to the resort. Normally when I am ryding I would listen to music streamed from my phone. Not this time I was leading. A group and neede to communicate with my sweep. Well you can only imagine how easy it is to forget a black phone on a black phone. That phone is spending its third winter in the Sierras somewhere under 10 feet of snow.

seaweed
01-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Well this is BLOOPER #2 out of 5 that I will write about. I hope that there will not be any more in the future. This is a variation of a BUTT dial on a phone. In case you do not know what a BUTT dial is ask your kids.

I was touring the UP of Michigan (was raining quite a bit so decided to head to lower Michigan to visit my nephew and dry out). After I crossed the Mackinaw Bridge the weather broke so decided to travel the Tunnel of Trees in the north west part of Michigan. That road is very scenic but after about 12 miles of the 22 mile road I decided get off that road. Way to narrow and to many bicycles!

Using Google maps I set the designation on my phone for North Branch, Michigan. After a while it started raining again so I took the phone off the X ram mount and put it in my caring case secured to my belt. I was using bluetooth from the phone to my speakers so all was good. NOT!! Some how I did a BUTT change of designation on Google maps. Way down the road I heard Google maps say "your designation is on the right". Hmm, I am looking a a large building not a house. Took the phone out of the case and checked it. Well I was about 80 miles off course.

What did I learn for this? Well I will always carry a zip lock bag to protect the phone on the ram mount so that I do not have to put the phone in my carrying case. Also I will periodically check that I am on the correct route and designation has not changed.

I try to live and learn and to enjoy life along the way. nojoke

Pirate looks at --
01-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Ok Iron butt time! This is after loosing the cell phone. 650 miles into a 1000 mile, 19.25 hour ryde, we stop to get gas. Feeling pretty good, but the stop was much needed. Gassed up, pulled to the side for a 1/2 sandwich and water (5 hour energy) and off we go! 150 miles later we are at the next gas stop. Get to the pump, and no wallet! You guessed it Black Wallet on a black seat. Kicked it off as I got on, left it at the gas station. Well it’s an Iron Butt, can’t go backwards so used my wife’s credit card the rest of the way! Good news after getting home after midnight, I called the gas station the next day, and they had they had the wallet! Mailed it back to me, and I sent the young man a $100.00 reward!168679168680

LeftCoast
01-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Ok Iron butt time! This is after loosing the cell phone. 650 miles into a 1000 mile, 19.25 hour ryde, we stop to get gas. Feeling pretty good, but the stop was much needed. Gassed up, pulled to the side for a 1/2 sandwich and water (5 hour energy) and off we go! 150 miles later we are at the next gas stop. Get to the pump, and no wallet! You guessed it Black Wallet on a black seat. Kicked it off as I got on, left it at the gas station. Well it’s an Iron Butt, can’t go backwards so used my wife’s credit card the rest of the way! Good news after getting home after midnight, I called the gas station the next day, and they had they had the wallet! Mailed it back to me, and I sent the young man a $100.00 reward!168679168680

Ha! Thanks for sharing these pirate. I try to put my stuff in the same pockets all the time but have left the garage on multiple occasions with the wallet sitting right next to where I put my boots on.

KosherKid
01-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Spyder601: I had a similar issue so I glued the rubber pieces on the X-grip.

tehrlich
01-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Hahaha.......you aren’t a surgeon are you, Todd ? :2thumbs:
Well, I'm sort of a doctor. :ohyea: Just a dentist smart enough not to go to medical school.

seaweed
01-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Well Blooper 3, 4 and 5 occurred on a trip to southern Arizona to visit some great Spyder friends and my 2 brothers.

I admit, I ran out of gas. I was heading south on I25 enjoying the sights and not paying attention to the gas gauge when the low gas light came on. Not many exits and gas stations in that area. I decreased my speed hoping to make it to the nearest gas station. I was about 6 miles north of Trinidad when the Spyder ran out of gas. Dang! Took my helmet off and put on my Air Force cap and stuck my thumb out. The 3rd vehicle stopped. The driver said that he noticed that I was on a motorcycle then saw my Air Force cap, and hit the brakes. He took me into town to get a gas can, then to a gas station, and back to my Spyder. He stayed there until I had put the gas in and had started it up. There are good people in this world, and he was one.

I rode in to Trinidad, put gas in the Spyder, refilled the 1 gal gas jug and put in in the storage box on my Leesure Lite trailer.

What did I learn from this? Keep an eye on the gas gauge, refill at 1/4 full or sooner. Carry extra gas when I can (perhaps I will be able to help someone else on the road). There are good folks in this world.

I try to live and learn and to enjoy life along the way.nojoke

PrairieSpyder
01-19-2019, 08:31 AM
I've never run out of gas completely, but I've cut it really close. With all the stories of how difficult it is to find fuel on the AlCan, I carried a gallon of gas all the way to Alaska and back and never needed it. But, kind of like guns, it's better to have it and not need it.

PW2013STL
01-19-2019, 10:14 AM

Wow did this story bring back memories.

First time I lost my wallet (happened 3 times) I was on my Harley. I try to always remove my wallet from my back pocket and put in in my jacket pocket. Since I normally wear riding pants over my jeans I will remove my wallet and place it on the back seat, and then after gearing up put the wallet in the jacket pocket. This time as I was gearing up someone stopped to talk to me, and I forgot the wallet.
I took off and about 6 miles down the road remembered my wallet - of course it was no longer on the back seat. Drove back to the dealership as slow as I could watching the other side of the road as best I could. When I got to the dealership I ask if anyone turned in my wallet, but no one had. Since I was low on fuel the owner loaned me $10 to get home.
I drove back the same way keeping an eye out, but no luck.
Stopped at a gas station and put in the $10. as I was walking back to the bike I noticed my wallet resting on my left rear turnsignal arm.

I could not believe that it stayed there over 20 miles and across RR tracks (3 times).

BTW that is the same wallet I lost 3 times, but got it back all 3 times. Its a little ruff from payment sliding, and even though I have a new wallet - this is the one I use when ridding.

GaryinWI
01-19-2019, 01:10 PM
I can relate. I forgot to close gas cap on snowmobile and was going to show off for friends and went off this big jump, I was completely dissed in gas.

ColomaSpyder
01-20-2019, 08:33 AM
On a ride with my wife who was riding her Goldwing and another Spyder rider. We stopped for fuel. I had to back up to get out of the gas station which I did. Then I could not get the bike into gear. Just sat there trying "everything" while the other two bikes waited. Finally, the other Spyder rider asked if I was applying the brake when going from reverse to forward......:banghead: Problem solved

I did the same thing - thought the new Spyder had problem with transmission. After a couple of minutes, realized that I had not put my foot on the brake. Problem solved - driver error!

StillKickin
01-20-2019, 07:21 PM
Been there, done that... in the fast lane on I-95! Scared the crap outta me!

seaweed
01-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Blooper #4 is do not always believe Google Maps as it give you directions. As I was leaving Tombstone, I made sure that I had the correct address in the Google Maps for the Spyder friends that I was to meet. I headed down Hwy 80 and shortly I hear the message "turn right here". It looked like a farm/ranch road and I knew that my friends lived off the grid a bit so I turned onto the road. Soon the road got a bit rough and too narrow to turn around since I was pulling a trailer. I continued on hoping for a wide spot to turn around. Soon I came upon an opening but to my amazement I saw a 2 lane dirt road off to my left and straight ahead was a group of houses. I headed for the houses and saw a Spyder parked there so I knew I was at the right place.

If I would have continued on Hwy 80 for about 1.5 miles I would have been at the 2 lane dirt road instead of being a path that was almost a cow path.

I try to live and learn and to enjoy life along the way. nojoke

ARtraveler
01-23-2019, 02:21 PM
Yes! They tell me google will put you on some "interesting" roads here in AK. Logging roads seem to be the jackpot. I wouldn't go there. :yikes:

Fatcycledaddy
01-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Yes! They tell me google will put you on some "interesting" roads here in AK. Logging roads seem to be the jackpot. I wouldn't go there. :yikes:

My Garmin does the same thing in Canada.
I have the "avoid" unpaved roads checked, and yet it tried to rout me out of the way just to instruct me to go down a gravel road, and some of those looked like logging roads, or as we call them here, seasonal roads to drive at your own risk.

PrairieSpyder
01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Dean, been there . . done that, too! I love having GPS on my Spyder and in my truck. But I always study a real map before the trip so I have an idea of where I'm going.

nightcruiser
05-22-2019, 10:18 PM
My RT wouldn't spin a wheel if I were dyeing. LOL

stmike 1800
05-23-2019, 05:24 AM
While on the Cabot Trail ,my gps tried to send me out in the ocean .

Bigmo
05-26-2019, 07:37 AM
Something similar to that happened to me a few years ago. I was on a major highway, on my Goldwing pulling a small cargo trailer and my wife on board. It was late afternoon but still enough daylight. I had my CB radio on channel 19, the preferred trucker channel. Looking in my rearview mirror, I noticed a semi, still pretty far but looked like he was gaining on me. I always ride slightly below the speed limit. Then I noticed another truck attempting to pass the first one. Still monitoring the situation. At one point, they were both side by side, as if the first truck was accelerating. Both still gaining on me. Then the CB crackled and I heard, I assumed the second truck, saying" Hey man, slow down. There's a biker ahead". The reply came in, that froze my blood. " I don't care, I'll run over him". I panicked and picked up speed. My wife was screaming in panic. I was going too fast to try to slow down and pull over. After a short while, the second truck slowed down and back on the right lane. The first truck passed me. I noticed a California plate on the trailer. Was he just kidding? From that day on, when I see a truck behind me, I try to steer clear. Of course, this never happened again, but let you wonder how many of these crazy drivers are out there....

Bigmo
05-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Ooops!!! I think I posted in the wrong thread. Oh well...

Peter Aawen
05-26-2019, 05:22 PM
Ooops!!! I think I posted in the wrong thread. Oh well...

Tell me or one of the other Mods which thread you thought you were posting it into & we can (maybe?!) move it for you?! But I'm not gonna try guessing which thread :thumbup: