PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Door Question - lock or no lock

Biscuit
01-13-2019, 08:15 AM
I picked up a fuel door without a lock to install on my 2017 RT.

For those of you that have installed the fuel door without a lock do you think you should have gotten one with a lock?

Thanks
Rod

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-13-2019, 09:37 AM
I picked up a fuel door without a lock to install on my 2017 RT.

For those of you that have installed the fuel door without a lock do you think you should have gotten one with a lock?

Thanks
Rod

I've mounted a few dozen doors to RT & GS seats.... not knowing exactly what type/brand of door you have , I'll just generalize my answer …. Without the lock, the problem is how to keep the door closed …. if it has a Spring hinge it will be fine ….if it doesn't ( and I did one that had no lock or spring ) you could add a very small magnet with a corresponding piece of metal that protrudes from under the Ring …. I did this by EPOXYING the magnet to the door and epoxying a small piece of sheet metal to the ring …… it wasn't the best looking , but you couldn't see any of it with the door closed anyway....If you can tell me what you have and where you got it , maybe I can give better advice ……. good luck …. Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-13-2019, 10:45 AM
:agree: While the lock provides a measure of security: it's most effective function is to keep the door closed for you.
As long as your door has that covered: :clap: :thumbup:

Let's face it: the lock could be easily circumvented with a screwdriver anyway...

Chupaca
01-13-2019, 11:33 AM
if it is spring loaded and keeps closed on its own or you add a closing magnet as BLUEKNIGHT911 has done it comes down to how safe you feel that no one will pinch your gas or put something in your tank...:dontknow: I see or hear nothing in that respect and you don't have much gas to steal anyway....:roflblack: I think they look better without the key slot....:thumbup:

Ex-Rocket
01-13-2019, 11:58 AM
I myself don't see the need of a lockable fuel door. I did put on my last Spyder, a 2015 RTS and it was lockable. I regretted my decision cause now you have to keep up with another key. I've got way too many keys especially if you pull a trailer. Now you got a trailer lock and tongue lock etc. I have never heard of anybody messing with a gas tank or adding anything to your gas on any Spyder.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-13-2019, 11:06 PM
In sixty years of driving vehicles without locking gas doors or gas caps only one time, as I recall, has someone siphoned gas out of the tank. Some things in life that COULD happen, but probably won't, are just not worth worrying about.

canamjhb
01-13-2019, 11:32 PM
In sixty years of driving vehicles without locking gas doors or gas caps only one time, as I recall, has someone siphoned gas out of the tank. Some things in life that COULD happen, but probably won't, are just not worth worrying about.

I confess. I was the one who siphoned gas and I am sorry. I did it once and regret it. But, I was only 16 and learning life. BTW, I got a big gulp of gas while sucking on the hose that made me sick for a week..... Jim

ARtraveler
01-13-2019, 11:39 PM
IMO: A lock on the gas cap or fuel door is not really a necessary thing. Most people wont waste their time going through the siphon thing for less than five gallons.

And if they do...we are not out that much.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-14-2019, 12:41 AM
I confess. I was the one who siphoned gas and I am sorry. I did it once and regret it. But, I was only 16 and learning life. BTW, I got a big gulp of gas while sucking on the hose that made me sick for a week..... Jim
The only reason you regret it is because you did it right alongside a church where the Almighty could easily watch you! He's never let you forget, has he?? :roflblack: