PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

wyliec
06-14-2009, 09:15 AM
After about 2000 miles the Spyder has developed a starting problem.

Yesterday after riding for awhile I stopped. When I got back on the Spyder I turned the key to ON and hit the M button on the console; nothing happened. I switched it off and then on and it started up. About three other times yesterday it happened. A few times you could hear the engine start to turnover and then stop. Once or twice I had to turn the ignition switch off twice.

When I got home I reseated all the relays and checked the battery connections at the battery. Everything was fine there. This morning the same thing happened and I had to switch the ignition off and then on to get it started.

Up until yesterday, I usually started it in neutral because I was off the bike and suiting up. It is an SM5. Any ideas?

Spydr in KS
06-14-2009, 09:21 AM
When mine was new I had a similar problem. Dealer suggested only using the M switch on the handlebar. Haven't had a problem since:hun:

wyliec
06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
When mine was new I had a similar problem. Dealer suggested only using the M switch on the handlebar. Haven't had a problem since:hun:

I'll try that. But, in my opinion they should both work; if they don't, there is a problem somewhere.

Donzo
06-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Check for loose battery cables - I had a similar problem early on and the cables were not snug. :f_spider:

tatt2r
06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
was having a similar problem ... with girls spyder .... it would start but while driving she would get startup code to press m button before starting went to dealer the reset computer ... and it hasnt happened since but BRP said they would send new instrument cluster because they have had some problems with them .... but she wants to wait to change it out ...if it aint broke dont fix it ....
if instrument button isnt working and handle bar is then it's a safe bet that your problem is in cluster and should be under warranty :doorag:

Dudley
06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
I have never used the M button on mine. The handlebar is a lot easier to reach and has always worked with the first try.

Spydr in KS
06-14-2009, 10:51 AM
if instrument button isnt working and handle bar is then it's a safe bet that your problem is in cluster and should be under warranty :doorag:

Good point, I should try the cluster button again

wyliec
06-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I tried using the handlebar 'M' and the same thing happens. I have to turn the ignition switch off one or more times before it will start.

Donzo,

I checked the battery cables yesterday at the battery and they are tight.

I'm wondering if I disconnect the battery for a reset if that may help or would I just be wasting time?

igor
06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I had the same problem. But it was my fold...When i conect Garmin direct to batery i was a little unprofesional...Spyder wont start, i have all posible maseges around display (from check engine to limo mode)....than i check "my profi instalation" again, remove problem and everything work ok since than. My point is that Spyder have wery sensitive electrical sistem....Maybe sometime we couse problems like i did.

bjt
06-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I tried using the handlebar 'M' and the same thing happens. I have to turn the ignition switch off one or more times before it will start.

Donzo,

I checked the battery cables yesterday at the battery and they are tight.

I'm wondering if I disconnect the battery for a reset if that may help or would I just be wasting time?

If you have any thoughts of taking the Spyder to the dealer to investigate this, I wouldn't disconnect the battery. That will clear the stored fault codes so the dealership would be starting from square one. Of course, if you disconnected the battery and that solved your problem, I guess the dealership wouldn't need to see any old fault codes. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-020.gif

Studybaker Bob
06-14-2009, 07:20 PM
We have an intermittant start problem, sometimes it will start, sometimes it wont. Dealer has had my 2008 se5 silver & black for almost 2 weeks & claims it starts for them every time. Hope to get it back soon. Go buy yourself a shop manual. If we figure out our problem, will let you know what we find.

bjt
06-15-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure if they were getting any fault messages but I remember someone having starting problems and it turned out to be the security feature of the ignition. It wasn't reading the chip in the key properly or something like that. :dontknow: I think their fix was to have the ignition switch and keys replaced. I don't remember for sure. {Time lapse of 5 minutes as I jumped to another window to search in SpyderLovers.} I just searched on ignition and found some of these (possibly) relevant links.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4784&highlight=ignition

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38002&postcount=12

sabunim5
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Start simple, move to complex if necessary. Try a little silicone lube on the console M and S buttons. Sometimes they are just stuck. I use the handlebar M button, but I have lubed both the console buttons.

czdaryle
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
I get this sporadicaly too...and I always use the handlebar mode. If I turn the key off and on again it always starts then..:dontknow:

Start simple, move to complex if necessary. Try a little silicone lube on the console M and S buttons. Sometimes they are just stuck. I use the handlebar M button, but I have lubed both the console buttons.

spyrog
07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
In order to get my Spyder to start I have to:
1 Make sure to use the kill switch to shut off the engine
2 Make sure I am in 1st gear
3 Turn the key to "Off"

To start"
1 Push down on the foot brake
2 Turn key to "On"
3 Watch entire stupid display
4 Push "M" after watching entire stupid display
5 Move kill switch to "On"
6 Shift into neutral
7 Hit start button

If you ever get stalled on the railroad tracks with my SM5 you can pretty much kiss your arse goodbye.

What do I do to bypass all of this garbage?

spyryder
07-17-2009, 05:59 PM
If you ever get stalled on the railroad tracks with my SM5 you can pretty much kiss your arse goodbye.

If it stalls on the tracks just pull in the clutch and hit the starter. :dontknow:

bjt
07-17-2009, 06:46 PM
In order to get my Spyder to start I have to:
1 Make sure to use the kill switch to shut off the engine
2 Make sure I am in 1st gear
3 Turn the key to "Off"

To start"
1 Push down on the foot brake
2 Turn key to "On"
3 Watch entire stupid display
4 Push "M" after watching entire stupid display
5 Move kill switch to "On"
6 Shift into neutral
7 Hit start button

If your Spyder is running, you shut it off for 30 seconds or so, then attempt to start it again, you have to do all that? If so, that's not right and you should be visiting a dealership to have a tech look at it. Even if its off for an hour, that's a really detailed and specific start up procedure. Mine isn't that picky.

If mine is off for a minute or two, I just turn the key on, be sure the kill switch isn't on, hold in the clutch or make sure it's in neutral and hit the start button. If its been off for 5 minutes or longer, I have to hit the M button after I turn the key on, as soon as the display starts scrolling the safety message. Then do the last few start up steps.

Firefly
07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I have to hit the M button anytime after around 30 seconds - for sure not over 60 seconds.

spyryder
07-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I have to hit the M button anytime after around 30 seconds - for sure not over 60 seconds.
Mine's good for 5 minutes....I can usually gas up without hitting the button after.

bjt
07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Mine's good for 5 minutes....I can usually gas up without hitting the button after.

Same here. Or at least pretty close to 5 minutes, at least 3 minutes.

wyliec
07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Since I first posted, I haven't had a problem after re-seating all the relays; knock on wood.