PDA

View Full Version : YellaCat is home; almost

Tslepebull
01-08-2019, 01:52 PM
I was disciplined and got trout stocked at two ponds before I went by the dealer. YellaCat was ready and I had a nice ride back to the office. It is really hard not to get on and go for a long ride; it is currently 75 and sunny after a stupid amount of rain. There will be time. I was really pleased with the dealership. The model I test drove over the weekend was the 900 Ace this is the Rally with the upgraded suspension. I could definitely feel the difference. 168370

ARtraveler
01-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the update. :yes:

Michaelscs
01-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Congrats on your new Ryker Rally! That looks pretty much exactly like how we to want equip one for my wife, including color, windshield, and top case.
Keep us updated on your riding impressions.

njfishfan
01-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Congrats , picking mine up in February ....would like to get your opinion on the top case ,was looking to get one when I pick up my rally.Are the items u put in it secure ?

Grandpaspeed
01-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Congratulations but I'm jealous in a good way. How did you like the windshield?

Tslepebull
01-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Congrats , picking mine up in February ....would like to get your opinion on the top case ,was looking to get one when I pick up my rally. Are the items u put in it secure ?

As far as secure with a lock, no. It is just a clip fastener. However, it has a waterproof liner with a closure that will keep contents clean and dry; similar to a dry bag like you would use on a kayak. 168374168374The attachment to the frame has a spring loaded lever that feels very well attached. It also makes a great back rest.

Tslepebull
01-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Congratulations but I'm jealous in a good way. How did you like the windshield?

I do like the Windscreen. I am 6' tall and have it on the highest position to keep the wind off my helmet. It is more noisy than going without; I tried that too. But very effectively keeps the wind off my chest.

njfishfan
01-08-2019, 05:15 PM
Thx for response and pic...I currently have a Kriega us 20 dry pack which I use and will have to decide if worth it to spend the money on the top box or just use that.

KID Ryker
01-08-2019, 08:13 PM
I was disciplined and got trout stocked at two ponds before I went by the dealer. YellaCat was ready and I had a nice ride back to the office. It is really hard not to get on and go for a long ride; it is currently 75 and sunny after a stupid amount of rain. There will be time. I was really pleased with the dealership. The model I test drove over the weekend was the 900 Ace this is the Rally with the upgraded suspension. I could definitely feel the difference. 168370 Thanks for the suspension report I am going to upgrade for sure now. Is it the front or rear that is the biggest change. :cheers:

Chupaca
01-08-2019, 09:46 PM
enjoy the new ryde...:2thumbs: I'm sure you will fill us in on all the fun, smiles and hints....:thumbup:

Tslepebull
01-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the suspension report I am going to upgrade for sure now. Is it the front or rear that is the biggest change. :cheers:

The KYB suspension on the Rally is adjustable for pre-load on the front and pre-load and rebound damping on the rear. I am going to reduce pre-load on both ends because I am getting some front wheel hop on bad roads. I will report back later on results. As far as prioritizing upgrade front to rear I felt more hop on the front but do not have enough experience on a three wheeler to make that prediction. I have dialed back the rear rebound damping to the lowest setting based on recommendations in the owners manual and it feels better to me. For reference I weigh 155.

Michaelscs
01-09-2019, 10:54 AM
The KYB suspension on the Rally is adjustable for pre-load on the front and pre-load and rebound damping on the rear. I am going to reduce pre-load on both ends because I am getting some front wheel hop on bad roads. I will report back later on results. As far as prioritizing upgrade front to rear I felt more hop on the front but do not have enough experience on a three wheeler to make that prediction. I have dialed back the rear rebound damping to the lowest setting based on recommendations in the owners manual and it feels better to me. For reference I weigh 155.

Glad to see your trying different adjustments on your Rally to optimize your ride. Many people just leave it the way it came from dealer and never realize it could be better. Your adjustment knob on the rear of your Rally is for compression not rebound. That being said, softening it to position 1 based on your weight is the way to go, and that's why you felt your ride improve. As far as the front goes, I think your defiantly going to feel more hop and road conditions on Rykers & Spyders than 2 wheels. I know I feel wheel hop on my Daytona more than on 2 wheels. I think it's even more noticeable on the Ryker (based on my limited test drive), because it doesn't have power steering. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to get used to. Based on your weight, softening the pre-load on both the front and rear will help. You might feel a little more dive/lean in the front on higher speed corners. You'll just have to find the best compromise between ride and handling.

Tslepebull
01-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the correction and advice. I was used to dialing in the suspension on my two wheelers so I am looking forward to experimentation. I will of course measure my starting point and record all changes so that if nothing improves I can go back to stock settings. This is my first experience with a three wheeler so my perception may be biased. I did check tire pressure and both ends were spot on so that was not the issue. I have not had any feeling of shaft jacking or front end drive with the current settings so you may be right about going too soft. My old Air Head BMW always felt like it was going to do a head stand when I grabbed front brake; the tele-lever front end on the Oil Heads and later was a real revelation.