PDA

View Full Version : Off-roading

CTAC
01-07-2019, 07:53 PM
So, I don't have much to report other than the Ryker can easily hit 95 mph. I did that unintentionally yesterday when passing a truck. Was like, "Whoa Nelly!" Secondly, I actually did take the Rally off-road yesterday... in a pasture... riding 2-up! And, let me say, that was a blast. Had no issues getting around and we didn't take it easy on it... had a rooster tail of dirt flying up at one point. I did notice that a lot of crap ends up on top of the swing arm on the right side. But, other than my ground effect wiring getting some abuse from the straw jabbing it, it was no harm no foul. What an impressive machine! I still don't like the noise the drive train makes under initial acceleration (that secondary "pop" sound I mentioned in an earlier blog) but was told that is just they way it is. My Burgman never had that sound so I dunno. But other than that, fun, fun, fun!!

Tslepebull
01-07-2019, 08:02 PM
I heard the same pop during my test drive on Saturday. Thanks to your heads up it did not disturb me. Oh, and as far as the "crap" on the swing arm I think you are supposed to drive around the piles in the pasture:lecturef_smilie:

Michaelscs
01-07-2019, 10:47 PM
I still don't like the noise the drive train makes under initial acceleration (that secondary "pop" sound I mentioned in an earlier blog) but was told that is just they way it is. My Burgman never had that sound so I dunno. But other than that, fun, fun, fun!!

So I'm pretty sure that drive line noise is because the Ryker has reverse. The helix in the secondary clutch is cut differently because of reverse. Your Burgman didn't have reverse. The snowmobiles with reverse do the same thing.

Grandpaspeed
01-07-2019, 11:27 PM
I have test ridden 2 different Rykers and they both had that noise.

cueman
01-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Research Red Line Shock Proof Gear Lube. I have used this before in my Ural gear box and final drive and IMO shifted smoother and quieter. I don't know much about the Ryker CVT to say if it would work in this situation. If some body has a service manual and could post a picture of the CVT innards we could check this out. :cheers: cueman

Trevor G
01-08-2019, 12:39 AM
So I'm pretty sure that drive line noise is because the Ryker has reverse. The helix in the secondary clutch is cut differently because of reverse. Your Burgman didn't have reverse. The snowmobiles with reverse do the same thing.

Maybe.

I haven't heard the noise but shaft drive motorcycles typically have a clunk when accelerating or decelerating, because of driveline lash, as it is called.

This is just a techo way of saying that there is some lost motion or free play or excessive clearance between the bevel gears in the final drive. As the slop takes up you get the noise.

It's not a problem.

Trevor G
01-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Research Red Line Shock Proof Gear Lube. I have used this before in my Ural gear box and final drive and IMO shifted smoother and quieter. I don't know much about the Ryker CVT to say if it would work in this situation. If some body has a service manual and could post a picture of the CVT innards we could check this out. :cheers: cueman

It's not in the CVT innards. They use a dry, belt drive to vary ratios.

On the output of the CVT is a reduction gearbox which drives the shaft to the rear wheel.

It's the final, right angle drive, the bevel drive at the rear wheel that is most likely the cause.

cueman
01-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. When I said CVT I should have said gear box reduction. On the final drive the Red Line Shock Proof gear lube would be fine IMO. Popular in the performance car and race car business. The gear lube, as I understand it, has molaclues that dampen the gear to gear shock. I would still like to see some internal pics of the drive system. cueman

iMotorsports
01-08-2019, 04:06 PM
So, I don't have much to report other than the Ryker can easily hit 95 mph. I did that unintentionally yesterday when passing a truck. Was like, "Whoa Nelly!"

Yes, they move. It is that power to weight ratio.

CTAC
01-08-2019, 05:01 PM
And to clarify.... The initial clunk is expected with shaft drive... But the secondary pop I hear/feel a moment later under acceleration is what has been unnerving. Just gotta get use to it is what I have been told. Be nice to know what makes that sound??? :thumbup:

Chupaca
01-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Glad your having fun and taking advantage of all the features of the ralley.... thanks for the review and braving it out into a pasture for a good test run....:bowdown: