PDA

View Full Version : ISCI Hand Brake- you guys are going to love this

Lamonster
06-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Ever since I did my first cable hand brake setup I've been getting emails, PM's and phone calls about it. I'm pretty sure I've help a few of you here with setting these up. But like I've always said I wouldn't want to trust it a 100% because as you know cables do break. :shocked: Till now I really couldn't point you to a real solution. Then came ISCI. :doorag:

I met these guys down in Daytona and was really impressed with their craftsmanship of the prototype products they were showing. What I really liked was their hydraulic hand brake. I don't have to tell you guys why this is needed but as a motorcycle guy without a disability I still wanted to keep the good habits I've developed over the years. They really did a nice job on this product and I was one of the lucky ones to get a first artical of the production unit to do some of my own field testing. Right now I can only tell you about the parts and the install but I'll fill you in after I've put some miles on this thing.

I don't know the price and I don't know the release date but I know it will be soon. They are waiting to get some feedback from me as a user.

Here's a few pics and a video.

This is what you bolt up as a unit. Quality stuff here.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=3003

This is what they had to do to space it out a bit and neck it down to 7/8"
Once again quality stuff,
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=3004

This is the unit installed. The ram is fully adjustable. Install was super easy. hardest thing was bleeding the line.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=3005
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=3006

Here's the brake res
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=3007

And here's a little video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bb04PPTazw

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/../sponsors/isci.jpg (http://www.industrialspecialty.com/)

dave01
06-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I want one..... That is my biggest problem with the Spyder. Coming from streetbikes over 30 years, I never used the rear brake except on track days. First ride on the Spyder, I almost rear-ended a truck by trying to use a brake that wasnt there. Serious brain lockup before i remembered the brake pedal.

Lamonster
06-13-2009, 07:39 AM
I want one..... That is my biggest problem with the Spyder. Coming from streetbikes over 30 years, I never used the rear brake except on track days. First ride on the Spyder, I almost rear-ended a truck by trying to use a brake that wasnt there. Serious brain lockup before i remembered the brake pedal.
Been there, done that :yikes:

effgjamis
06-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Been there, done that :yikes:

Amen.... Great Mod.... really should be part of the spyder off production.

NancysToy
06-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Bad practice! Bike riders need to use both brakes for maximum stopping power, unless they have an integrated brake system. You use both on track days because it works better, why do less on the street? Front brake alone is not only less effective, but can dump you on the ground in a curve or on bad surfaces.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Twodog185
06-13-2009, 10:21 AM
That does solve the slave cylinder issue. They're going to be at the dealership today with the demo team.

thanks lamonster

Big Arm
06-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Ever since I did my first cable hand brake setup I've been getting emails, PM's and phone calls about it. I'm pretty sure I've help a few of you here with setting these up. But like I've always said I wouldn't want to trust it a 100% because as you know cables do break. :shocked: Till now I really couldn't point you to a real solution. Then came ISCI. :doorag:

Very Nice set-up, and really does look to be a very quality item from ISCI
:congrats:

Looking forward to your review and testing of this, Lamont

dave01
06-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Bad practice! Bike riders need to use both brakes for maximum stopping power, unless they have an integrated brake system. You use both on track days because it works better, why do less on the street? Front brake alone is not only less effective, but can dump you on the ground in a curve or on bad surfaces.

I actually use it a little, but for normal street riding, I rely on the fronts for stopping. I use them on the track to back the end around in the corners, not something I would do on the street. Foot is always covering the pedal though, just in case its needed.

Wheelz
06-13-2009, 10:38 AM
nice review Lamonster...thanks! :2thumbs:

larryd
06-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Does this hand brake set up have enough braking force to activate the ABS system without assistance from the foot pedal?? larryd

burg650
06-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Lamonster nice photos and review, if you have it then it's a must have. Too many time I reach for a brake lever where they is none, I have the original front bumper in my garage as it has been hit a few times thank God they were all at a slow speed so only the black front bumper got damaged.

Thanks

Lamonster
06-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Does this hand brake set up have enough braking force to activate the ABS system without assistance from the foot pedal?? larryd

I just got back from a little field testing as far as stopping power. I made several runs to get an average. I was by myself so I can't give you exact measurements but this is pretty darn close.

What I did was run down the road at about 40 mph and slammed on the brakes with the foot pedal only and then the hand brake only. I found that I could stop about 2 to 3 feet sooner with the foot pedal. That's not bad in my book. All in all it's better than my cable system for sure and not that much worst than the foot only brake. :thumbup: If this was the only brake I had I would feel pretty good about it as the only way I could tell that it could be a little better is I did have use of the foot brake.

Dudley
06-13-2009, 07:56 PM
This seems like the best, most reliable setup. A must for many whose foot muscles, leg reflexes, etc., prevent them from having the stopping power needed. Thanks, Lamont for being our tester and evaluator.
I have read how so many veteran riders have had a problem with just the foot brake, reaching for a lever that wasn't there. I rode for over 40 years and somehow have not had any problems adjusting to the foot brake only. A couple of times I reached for the lever, but because I have always been a hand and foot braker, the Spyder foot brake stopped the Spyder. I have known several people in the past that had their bikes flipping over on them by using only the front brake to stop and locking the brakes.

LittleJohn
06-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Sweet! Looks like they got a Hayes Brake master, or at least one that looks like it! Im so excited!!!:yes:

Twodog185
06-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I met Jeff and Billy (ISCI) today at the dealer demo ride. They had a bike there with the running boards, Helibars setup, and a variation of the hand brake set. I thought the boards were really comfortable. The Helibar setup was better than I thought it would be also. Pictures don't do it justice. Their shop is only an hour or so down the road.

SethO
06-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Timeline on a for sale date and price? if its a legit price I would by one tomorrow. My cable system for a brake is pissin me off.

thanks for the test setup and overview. did you have to tap the holes for the end of the rod or are there it bolts to the frame?

gazey
06-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Like the idea of a hand operated brake.
Can't see a price for it on the website, any idea what its going to cost.

ptoemmes
06-14-2009, 03:24 AM
I met Jeff and Billy (ISCI) today at the dealer demo ride. They had a bike there with the running boards, Helibars setup, and a variation of the hand brake set. I thought the boards were really comfortable. The Helibar setup was better than I thought it would be also. Pictures don't do it justice. Their shop is only an hour or so down the road.

Any comment on your foot position with respect to using the extended brake or extended shifter?

Thanks,

Pete

Lamonster
06-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Timeline on a for sale date and price? if its a legit price I would by one tomorrow. My cable system for a brake is pissin me off.

thanks for the test setup and overview. did you have to tap the holes for the end of the rod or are there it bolts to the frame?

Like I said in the first post (because I knew someone was going to ask ;)) I don't know when it was going to be released or what the price will be.:dontknow:

The that no drilling or tapping. You change the pin in the brake to a longer one, remove two bolts in the frame and bolt this unit up. Install the brake reservoir and brake line, bleed the brakes and your, done other than some rod adjustment. The install is very easy.

mike3069
06-14-2009, 09:38 AM
:yes:I like the looks (and function) of this. I also like that they have taken the time and expense to get it right. This should bring in a LOT of new Spyder owners!:2thumbs:

SethO
06-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I know what you said that but I am sure you will update us when you can. thanks again for the info.

Lamonster
06-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Just got back from another ride with the new hand brake and it working great. This has so much more stopping power than my cable setup. They really did a great job getting the leverage and pressures right. :doorag:

RoadHammer
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Right on, good news for sure.
Lamont, let isci know its great right away.. I need this product asap.....

SethO
06-16-2009, 01:42 AM
I agree.

Lamonster
06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I've been getting a lot of PM's on this. Best I can tell you is call ISCI 334-277-2224 for pricing and availability. i really have no idea. :dontknow:

I will say is I had a cable brake system now and that was the only way I was stopping my Spyder I would call these guys today and get on the list. I had to do some running around yesterday and that's all I used just to see what it would be like and it stopped just as good as my foot brake in normal driving conditions. I didn't have to give myself any extra room. This is a must have mod for me.

RoadHammer
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
can you take it off your spyder and send it to me, cause I Guarantee you I need it more than you...... lol just kidding Lamont,, enjoy..
mine will come in due time.

Lamonster
06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Rode around again today and I've been using just my middle finger to stop. Stops just fine in every situation so far. :thumbup:

HD2CANAM
06-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I received my ISCI floorboard and brake set up the other day and also a Bruce Fabrication exhaust Wednesday. After looking at the instructions, I decided for the money I had involved, I would take it to my dealer to install both the floorboards and exhaust. They were very impressed with the quality of the merchandise and made the statement that there was a lot of thought put into this project. In talking with ISCI, when the new front brake lever comes out, I have to send back the current one they sent me and also be sure and mention that I have NMN risers. In over 60 years of riding, I am geting used to not putting my foot down when I stop, but I still reach for the handbrake. Also, as I understand, this system ties in and works as part of the existing braking system.:hun:

Arch
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Spoke with ISCI and their response was they are looking to have dealers install these hand brakes and will not be selling them to individuals to install, due to liability reasons.

Motza
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Amen.... Great Mod.... really should be part of the spyder off production.
I AGREE :clap: :agree:

SethO
06-21-2009, 11:56 PM
quote:
Spoke with ISCI and their response was they are looking to have dealers install these hand brakes and will not be selling them to individuals to install, due to liability reasons. 06-19-2009 04:11 PM

what did they tell you for a price to send it to a dealer?

Wheelz
06-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Bah! Just follow the directions I sent you Seth...11K miles on my setup and its just fine...ditch that cable...

zzneonzz
06-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Looks like a really good setup i'm definately going to be adding this one. But my Dealer pretty much said a while back that they won't add a hand brake to it as it puts a liability on them so looks like once its out i'll be taking a nice trip to have it installed by ISCI if they are going to be doing installs.

burg650
06-22-2009, 11:48 PM
You will have to find a none Spyder dealer to do the install as authorize dealers will not do the installation as it will not only void your warrantee but they could loose the right to be a Spyder dealer if BRP catches them.

NancysToy
06-23-2009, 07:18 AM
You will have to find a none Spyder dealer to do the install as authorize dealers will not do the installation as it will not only void your warrantee but they could loose the right to be a Spyder dealer if BRP catches them.
By law a modification cannot void your warranty unless it can be shown to have caused the specific, warranteed failure. Even then, it cannot void any other, unrelated part of the warranty. Dealers that spread this gossip are not to be trusted. I understand their potential liability, and they can choose whether or not to install a mod, but they should explain that they are not comfortable with it, or don't want to be bothered, not that it affects customer warranties.

Firefly
06-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Well, considering they already sent one to an end-user and 'let' them install it - I think this is another rumor (like the 110mph limiter).

If they don't sell to end users - then they automatically lose 50% or more of their potential sales.

They will probably just have some release that you sign stating that you agree to have it professionally installed.

I do agree that finding a Spyder dealer to do the install will be difficult.

LittleJohn
06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, considering they already sent one to an end-user and 'let' them install it - I think this is another rumor (like the 110mph limiter).

If they don't sell to end users - then they automatically lose 50% or more of their potential sales.

They will probably just have some release that you sign stating that you agree to have it professionally installed.

I do agree that finding a Spyder dealer to do the install will be difficult.
Rather than a waiver, most companies sell this sort of thing "for off road use only" Seems that exludes them from being liable if used on road and anything happens.

Pete Denzer
06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
My dealer said he is up to the task, and told me that many potential buyers had inquired about it.

Longlegs
06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I would think that a "for competition use only" clause would be enough. I don't understand the difference between adding a hand brake and swapping out the foot pegs and foot brake lever for running boards and a brake pedal. While I do think its honorable they want to make sure its a safe install, I think many people are as competent, if not more so, than some dealership mechanics. Besides that, once the product is out the door they cannot possibly keep track of it forever. Just look at how many mods have been taken off and sold on the for sale board on this site alone.

RoadHammer
06-24-2009, 05:39 PM
BRP will never touch this mod.

Make us sign a waiver and sell it to us now...

RoadHammer
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
it's a simple bolt on mod, bleed brakes and go.. a monkey or sloth could install this.. Sell it to us now please.. us legless handicrapped guys need this now..

Rando
06-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I received the ISCI parking brake extension today. This came with it.

ataDude
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM

Looks like a smart business move to me. I'd do the same... except it wouldn't be all CAPS. :(

RoadHammer
06-24-2009, 09:22 PM

that looks good, now ISCI sell me the brake mod..... PLEASE !!!

aubierules
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
By law a modification cannot void your warranty unless it can be shown to have caused the specific, warranteed failure. Even then, it cannot void any other, unrelated part of the warranty. Dealers that spread this gossip are not to be trusted. I understand their potential liability, and they can choose whether or not to install a mod, but they should explain that they are not comfortable with it, or don't want to be bothered, not that it affects customer warranties.
:agree:

aubierules
06-25-2009, 11:19 AM
that looks good, now ISCI sell me the brake mod..... PLEASE !!!
ez dude..ur gonna blow a gasket:yikes:

Longlegs
06-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Venom had a post that said they were goin to be for sale soon, in addition to having dealers sell them.

nater1
06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
It is a nice mod for the handicap, but for the regular Joe it is a novelty. I would like to see the spyder have independent brakes, but that will never happen.

Bimjo
06-26-2009, 04:47 PM
It is a nice mod for the handicap, but for the regular Joe it is a novelty. I would like to see the spyder have independent brakes, but that will never happen.

One man's novelty is another man's necessity. ;)