PDA

View Full Version : OMG

Fire34
01-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Last week we went back home to see family. Stopped by and said hello to our local salesman. They had a ryker outside he let me tke it for a ride around the block seemed ok. He then informed me that BRP was making the dealer spend 9 grand on a display and order 20 Rykers in advance. He told me the margin is so thin that they would have to sell all 20 just to make back the cost of the display. He mentioned that hoping accesories make up the difference. Does that seem backwards or is it just me. Thanks guys
Dave

Rob Rodriguez
01-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Last week we went back home to see family. Stopped by and said hello to our local salesman. They had a ryker outside he let me tke it for a ride around the block seemed ok. He then informed me that BRP was making the dealer spend 9 grand on a display and order 20 Rykers in advance. He told me the margin is so thin that they would have to sell all 20 just to make back the cost of the display. He mentioned that hoping accesories make up the difference. Does that seem backwards or is it just me. Thanks guys
Dave

Yes it seems crazy to me as well. What's worse is its like that for all BRP brands (Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo, Can-Am, etc) and its common among power sports manufactures (BRP, Polaris, Arctic Cat, etc) Dealer gets all the stress.

Winnex3
01-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Dave
Try being a farmer ��*��

ofdave
01-02-2019, 02:12 PM
The same or similar practices are/were done by Triumph.
So far they lost about 6 dealers in FL alone as a result.
I look for the same to happen the Can Am dealers.
There is no way a small dealership can afford to take the risk of overstocking and paying floor plan interest if sales don't go well.
I would not be surprised to see more than a few dealers drop Can Am because of that practice.

ARtraveler
01-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Fire34 is right on. The subject has been discussed a lot. The Ryker debacle has caused the one remaining dealer in Alaska to drop the product. There are now about 50 of us Spyder owners who are stuck with no dealer or service. I have two of them.

Rogue Hawk
01-02-2019, 03:24 PM
I bought a Ryker and they would not budge on the price. All the ones they have coming in are already sold.

tibadoe
01-02-2019, 06:00 PM
.............He then informed me that BRP was making the dealer spend 9 grand on a display and order 20 Rykers in advance. He told me the margin is so thin that they would have to sell all 20 just to make back the cost of the display..............

Was at my dealer a couple of weeks ago and salesman was telling me the same thing about the display. After shopping around for my future Spyder, I will do my best to keep my business local. He said they would do whatever it takes to earn my business. Would hate to see my local dealer give up the Spyder / Ryker line.

Mikey
01-02-2019, 06:54 PM
I have a friend that has a cat dealership, he tells me of all kinds of crap he go's threw! They tell him what he's getting for sleds, that he has to pay for the floor plan, each month, for sleds that he told them he will have a hard time to sell! I do believe that the mark up on the machine is low, but the mark up on the farkels are higher. Not to mention all the things they go threw when they put I new machine out to JQ public and don't do there R+D and make us do that on our dime and leave the dealer in the hornet nest with little to no help. Lot's of shops close there doors because of it:banghead:

canamjhb
01-02-2019, 07:09 PM
It's too bad local dealers do not have the ability to stock and sell what sells in their own local market. Instead, their inventory is being dictated by an east coast Canadian (eh) manufacturer. I doubt the new Ryker will sell well in all markets. Some places may have them flying out the door and other places may have them sitting on the showroom floor forever. Doesn't make good sense to me. Smaller independant dealers are at a very huge disadvantage..... Jim

Chupaca
01-02-2019, 08:37 PM
They are making the dealers make up for the no show at the shows. Not new however... My grandfather had several dealerships in South America early 1900's and dumped them for those same reasons and went into the parts and acc business instead....:thumbup:

cyclekid58
01-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Same thing happened to our local dealer in Coeurd'Alene ID, the space dictated for display of the Rykers was virtually the same as his entire showroom space. They sold spyders as fast as they came in and several were sold before they even arrived. However the quantity of Rykers that had to be ordered all at one time was more than they could handle not knowing how they would sell in this area, combined with the floorspace mandate forced them to give up the spyder line. They still carry the ATV/UTV models. We lost one of the best spyder mechanics in the area as well and now have to go to WA for service at higher prices. One dealer is working with our club for our business and will be the one I deal with, twas a sad day when our dealer gave us the news.

Two cats
01-03-2019, 01:04 PM
They are making the dealers make up for the no show at the shows. Not new however... My grandfather had several dealerships in South America early 1900's and dumped them for those same reasons and went into the parts and acc business instead....:thumbup:

sounds like a smart man.:thumbup:

Two cats
01-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Same thing happened to our local dealer in Coeurd'Alene ID, the space dictated for display of the Rykers was virtually the same as his entire showroom space. They sold spyders as fast as they came in and several were sold before they even arrived. However the quantity of Rykers that had to be ordered all at one time was more than they could handle not knowing how they would sell in this area, combined with the floorspace mandate forced them to give up the spyder line. They still carry the ATV/UTV models. We lost one of the best spyder mechanics in the area as well and now have to go to WA for service at higher prices. One dealer is working with our club for our business and will be the one I deal with, twas a sad day when our dealer gave us the news.

Its really a shame when you are forced into having to buy all these things just to make the big company money. And you have to pay all the taxes and insurance on them while they are in your shop. No wonder so many shops stop selling spyders or rykers.:gaah: