PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe Color Help

ChrisW
12-29-2018, 12:09 PM
We want to pinstripe our bike and need help to pick colors, and info and/or pictures would help.

CopperSpyder
12-29-2018, 12:23 PM
Have you looked at the wrapmyspyder web site above? They have some nice stuff and they will give you a 10% off for adding a photo of your bike to the Spyder Garage above also.

gnorthern
12-29-2018, 12:45 PM
Have you looked at the wrapmyspyder web site above? They have some nice stuff and they will give you a 10% off for adding a photo of your bike to the Spyder Garage above also.

I don't want to sound potentially critical of a sponsor but I have to ask two questions about WrapMySpyder versus painted pin strips.
1. I have seen decals and they look obviously like decals. Wouldn't something painted look better?
2. I don't trust myself to put decals on straight. Wouldn't paying a pro to paint strips guarantee things will look straight?

UtahPete
12-29-2018, 12:57 PM
I don't want to sound potentially critical of a sponsor but I have to ask two questions about WrapMySpyder versus painted pin strips.
1. I have seen decals and they look obviously like decals. Wouldn't something painted look better?
2. I don't trust myself to put decals on straight. Wouldn't paying a pro to paint strips guarantee things will look straight?

1. Yes, they look different from painted on, but 'better' is in the eye of the beholder
2. That's up to you and has no bearing on someone else's choice.

CopperSpyder
12-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Not here for a debate, but suggested someone look at a web site so they will see photos and colors and different kinds of strips, if they like them they can paint them on or get them from spyderwrap. I will say if you want to remove them later it easer to remove the ones from spyderwrap with no damage to the bike.

UtahPete
12-29-2018, 01:02 PM

:agree:, plus they're not permanent like painted on designs.

https://wrapmyspyder.com/shop/fullbody/barbwire-lightning-kit/

I am putting the gold version of barbwire lightning on my wife's Cognac. Don't have pics yet.

wyliec
12-29-2018, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=UtahPete;1410768] I made a mistake, and it wouldn't let me delete it.

ChrisW
12-29-2018, 01:26 PM
We are going to have it painted on and are looking for colors at this time. We would like to see what others have done to there bike in the same base color as ours. Thanks, Chris

UtahPete
12-29-2018, 01:48 PM
Not here for a debate, but suggested someone look at a web site so they will see photos and colors and different kinds of strips, if they like them they can paint them on or get them from spyderwrap. I will say if you want to remove them later it easer to remove the ones from spyderwrap with no damage to the bike.

:agree: That's why I posted what I did.

UtahPete
12-29-2018, 01:50 PM
We want to pinstripe our bike and need help to pick colors, and info and/or pictures would help.

Yellow, gold, orange, silver, orange-red and black will work with Cognac

Spyder Wraps Pete
12-29-2018, 04:26 PM
I would recommend Black and Charcoal on the Cognac color if you are actually doing "pinstripes".
Something like this 3/16" 2 color stripe (Yellow arrows) looks great without taking over the look of the bike.
And the RT has lots of body lines to choose from as well.

The larger graphic designs aren't for everyone...

UtahPete
12-29-2018, 04:37 PM
I would recommend Black and Charcoal on the Cognac color if you are actually doing "pinstripes". Something like this 3/16" 2 color stripe (Yellow arrows) looks great without taking over the look of the bike. And the RT has lots of body lines to choose from as well. The larger graphic designs aren't for everyone...

Nice!

Chupaca
12-29-2018, 06:03 PM
no pictures or designs but I liked the maroon with beige . Pained a model with those colors and it looked great. There must be a program or app to let you make some color combos for a looksee....:thumbup:

UtahPete
12-29-2018, 06:18 PM
no pictures or designs but I liked the maroon with beige . Pained a model with those colors and it looked great. There must be a program or app to let you make some color combos for a looksee....:thumbup:

Her bike is Cognac, not beige...

pegasus1300
12-29-2018, 07:56 PM
168129 I had my Spyder pinstriped Shane Syx at the Rat Fink Reunion. Shane visited with me for a bit first then he suggested the colors and I walked away and let he go to work. He did a wonderful job and I was very pleased. Pick someone who has been at it awhile and trust their judgement. I have had three different vehicles stripped by2 different people and. each time. and trusted to the strippers judgement and been very happy each time.

Deanna777
12-29-2018, 08:07 PM
I have the same color/ and year as you do, here is what I have on my spyder:168153 & 168154. I bought the decals from WRAPMYSPYDER.COM.

I installed the decals my self. Very easy to do, follow the instructions.

I have the decals all over on my spyder.

Take a look at "My Albums" for more pictures.

Deanna

UtahPete
12-29-2018, 08:17 PM
I had my Spyder pinstriped Shane Syx at the Rat Fink Reunion. Shane visited with me for a bit first then he suggested the colors and I walked away and let he go to work. He did a wonderful job and I was very pleased. Pick someone who has been at it awhile and trust their judgement. I have had three different vehicles stripped by2 different people and. each time. and trusted to the strippers judgement and been very happy each time.

I don't know if I would trust a stripper's judgment ....:joke:

gnorthern
12-30-2018, 01:57 AM
I have the same color/ and year as you do, here is what I have on my spyder:168153 & 168154. I bought the decals from WRAPMYSPYDER.COM.

I installed the decals my self. Very easy to do, follow the instructions.

I have the decals all over on my spyder.

Take a look at "My Albums" for more pictures.

Deanna

Looking at the pictures I cannot detect any obvious edge to the decals. I also cannot see any color change due to clear decal your Spyder. Is that true in real life?

Jarred
12-30-2018, 07:32 AM
I’ve done a few gloss black vinyl accents on my champagne RT,. Most friends thought it was paint, one knew it was vinyl. I’m going w vinyl to protect the paint but when I was up at SpyderQuest there was a vendor up there that everyone loved, he/she was booked solid all weekend. I’m 99% sure the name of the business is “Mac The Knife”, I found a website located by Spyderquest w that name, didn’t dive deep into the website but maybe there are some pics you’d find useful.
And LOL Pete one of my buddies loves taking advice from strippers...they just prefer being paid in dollar bills!
Here’s a link to that website, good luck & happy hunting ChrisW

http://mactheknifestripe.com/

bscofield84
12-31-2018, 02:56 PM
I got my bike pinstriped at the Deadwood 3-wheel rally last year from Jeff Dastrup. He was listed as one of the vendors, so I contacted him ahead of time for the work. I took some ideas, had some ideas of colors, but gave him the final control over what he did. Very satisfied with the work. My bike color was Black Current. Many layers of flecks/deep underlying colors. Went with Red, Silver, and a copper tone. Good luck. I would pick a black - orange - silver for colors for your bike.

UtahPete
12-31-2018, 04:07 PM
I got my bike pinstriped at the Deadwood 3-wheel rally last year from Jeff Dastrup. He was listed as one of the vendors, so I contacted him ahead of time for the work. I took some ideas, had some ideas of colors, but gave him the final control over what he did. Very satisfied with the work. My bike color was Black Current. Many layers of flecks/deep underlying colors. Went with Red, Silver, and a copper tone. Good luck. I would pick a black - orange - silver for colors for your bike.

I've seen his work. It's very nice. 168216

Deanna777
01-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Looking at the pictures I cannot detect any obvious edge to the decals. I also cannot see any color change due to clear decal your Spyder. Is that true in real life?
I installed the decals myself, and they do have an edges. I took my time doing the install. I used the masking tape to pre set the decals, ( they come with very easy installation instruction's. These decals are reflective at night.

I bought the decals from WRAPMYSPYDER.COM.

Deanna

Bob Denman
01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Why not some simple black pinstriping?
As an alternative: a wider black pinstripe, with a "cognac" center?

bluewoo
01-01-2019, 01:25 PM

I think Black would look good.

bluewoo
01-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Or I found these links.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?37922-Finally-finished&highlight=Finally+Finished

Go to post #13

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?38517-Pin-striping-pics&p=445875&viewfull=1#post445875

But, the graphics on wrapmyspyder are insane!nojoke

Deanna777
01-01-2019, 04:08 PM
168129 Chris, I have an idea, paint your dashboard( see any of my posts) the same color. Deanna

Motorcycledave
01-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Hi Dave here,
Hey How are things in Furnley?
Having owned and built several custom motorcycles and cars over the years, some have even been in
magazines... I learned long ago not to depend on others opinions on colors, If were you I would go to a
Pro. Pin stripper, and or a Pro. automotive/motorcycle painter, they are in the business of mixing and matching colors
they will have color samples that they can show you and put side by side or on top of each other so you can see what
they look like together. You would be amazed at the colors that go great together you would never have picked...
Always go with a pro. You will have to live with your choice for a long time...
Ride Safe
Happy Hew Year
Dave

pegasus1300
01-02-2019, 12:15 AM
I got my bike pinstriped at the Deadwood 3-wheel rally last year from Jeff Dastrup. He was listed as one of the vendors, so I contacted him ahead of time for the work. I took some ideas, had some ideas of colors, but gave him the final control over what he did. Very satisfied with the work. My bike color was Black Current. Many layers of flecks/deep underlying colors. Went with Red, Silver, and a copper tone. Good luck. I would pick a black - orange - silver for colors for your bike. I had Jeff do the Dragon on the front of my Spyder. It is hand painted, by brush. Very beautiful. He did mine in 2017 at the last Red Rock Spyder rally in St George.

UtahPete
01-02-2019, 12:21 AM
I had Jeff do the Dragon on the front of my Spyder. It is hand painted, by brush. Very beautiful. He did mine in 2017 at the last Red Rock Spyder rally in St George.

I've tried contacting Jeff without much luck. Do you have any contact info for him?

pegasus1300
01-02-2019, 12:37 AM
Yes I do Pete, But it will be tomorrow before I can get to it.

PMK
01-02-2019, 05:59 AM
As other mentioned, find a well respected artist to do the stripes. Talk with them. Share the colors you or your wife truly dislike. No sense in getting an accent color, even if it is best, that you simply do not like that color.

Consider, do you want just stripes, or other tidbits like the stripe artwork / shields. Once you have an agreed upon idea, let the pro do his or her magic.

Also, you might find they want to place a few “sample” on the Spyder to gage your reaction to tne colors. Have no fear, the samples will remove without harm.

As for the Cognac color as a base, myself I would avoid black since the Spyder itself has a lot of black to begin with. I suspect a lighter color will be more lively than a darker color in regards to the main stripe color. At a guess, I would believe a certain silver color base stripe, with almost any accent color on top of or tightly next to the silver could work. However the silver needs to be wider and more powerful. Maybe silver with cherry red. Something less noticed could be simply a gold or metalic brown.

PMK
01-02-2019, 06:05 AM
Wraps vs paint...both achieve a goal of a different look.

Wraps or wrap segments are a cost effective way to get that different look and in most cases, at least for small wraps, are fairly eady to install. Wraps do have that can be removed feature that painted surfaces do not have.

Painted stripes, pinstripes, artwork or details is not for everyone. In some ways it requires confidence in your decision of how you expect it to look, AND, for most, confidence in the artist.

In my eyes, painted graphics, stripes or artwork is more high end. Stickers work, but are still stickers.

CopperSpyder
01-02-2019, 11:00 AM

That was easy, I hope we all made your decision an easy one. Lots of good thoughts in this thread.

UtahPete
01-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Wraps vs paint...both achieve a goal of a different look.

Wraps or wrap segments are a cost effective way to get that different look and in most cases, at least for small wraps, are fairly eady to install. Wraps do have that can be removed feature that painted surfaces do not have.

Painted stripes, pinstripes, artwork or details is not for everyone. In some ways it requires confidence in your decision of how you expect it to look, AND, for most, confidence in the artist.

In my eyes, painted graphics, stripes or artwork is more high end. Stickers work, but are still stickers.

I agree. But, that is not what the OP was asking. I see very few posts here that directly answer the question being asked.

UtahPete
01-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Yes I do Pete, But it will be tomorrow before I can get to it.

I just called him this morning and he's very interested in attending the Ryde-Ins but can't make Yuma because he's doing a car show that weekend.

UtahPete
01-02-2019, 01:26 PM

Chris, do you have a painter already and just want help from the community about which colors and designs? Or, are you also looking for a painter and / or event where you can get it done?

PMK
01-03-2019, 04:08 AM
I agree. But, that is not what the OP was asking. I see very few posts here that directly answer the question being asked.

UtahPete, while it is no doubt difficult to be you or in the case of others, including myself, to even come close to your fictional expectations of what you believe you are.

Your reply is empty and worthless.

You scolded me stating a reply did not answer the persons question regarding pinstripes. I am truly let down by your lack of knowledge regarding the subject matter of pinstripes. You as a person, self endowed to know all should have obviously realized that pinstripes can be applied both in painted on form, or as a pinstripe tape. Addionally, as the scholar you proclaim to be, had you read each word I have posted in reply to the original post, an immediate second paragraph did suggest my ideas on possible color combinations.

Yes, I did read where the original poster was planning for painted stripes, which in my lowly opinion is a better choice. However, with the overall support for adhesive type graphics, wraps, and even various types of stripes, my post shared ideas about that method vs painted artwork.

Sorry my inadequacies have failed you again, as so many others here have failed you also. All the best with your irrelevant posts too.