PDA

View Full Version : search box

bmccaffrey
12-26-2018, 08:06 PM
everything else is being worked on. Maybe we can work on this to make more user friendly.
Search for something and it's all over the place:gaah::gaah:

Worst search I've used

Chupaca
12-26-2018, 08:26 PM
Haven't been here that long but found early on that google does a better job of finding posts here. May be just not knowing how to use the search feature here...:dontknow:

AnthonyG
12-26-2018, 08:50 PM
If you redesign vbulletin you could do that.

AnthonyG
12-26-2018, 08:54 PM
Registerd Users - Can Use Boolean Search - Yes

The Boolean search operators are and, or and not. You can use these operators to create a very broad or very narrow search. And combines search terms so that each search result contains all of the terms.

You can also wrap quotes: "search"

Search by title only - I added those chk boxes in a drop down from the main pages search box weeks ago.

Search like this: spyder+tools

Search Spyder or Spyder

Etc.....

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Registerd Users - Can Use Boolean Search - Yes
I didn't realize you had implemented that. Should help quite a bit in doing searches.

bmccaffrey, One thing I do often is use Google, particularly when I really want to search on a two or three letter word which the forum search won't do. Just put the search terms in the Google box followed by site:spyderlovers.com.

AnthonyG
12-26-2018, 10:13 PM
That option has always been on for users.

3 letter searching is also allowed.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-26-2018, 10:46 PM
That option has always been on for users.

3 letter searching is also allowed.

I'd swear I tried 3 letter searches in years past and got an error. Maybe it was just 2 letter and having not tried it for a long time it gradually morphed in my head from a 2 letter to 3 letter limitation! :banghead:

As far as the Boolean option I suppose you're going to tell me if I'd read instructions I would have known!!! :lecturef_smilie: Are there instructions about how to use the seach feature? I just looked and don't see any!

AnthonyG
12-27-2018, 09:29 AM
I enabled 3 letter search when i changed the search engine program over to sphinx, as its 100x faster, also set the return limit to 500 results from i think it was 300, as sphinx can handle a lot more than SQL searching with FULTEXT indexing, should be posted in my Upgrades thread.

I can tell you that if you want?

Read the instructions Idaho, you would have known how to use the boolean search!!! :lecturef_smilie:

boolean searching isnt even listed in Vbulletin FAQ page.

I can allow 2 word searching with sphinx, but its going to return really bad results unless youre very specific in your search terms.