PDA

View Full Version : Do I need the extended warranty for my new Can Am Ryker-Spyder product?

watertowerman
12-25-2018, 10:13 AM
I am coming off of 41 years of GoldWings and buying a Ryker Rally. Never used the extended warranties so I quit buying them. Reading about the Spyders it seems like some people are in a panic if they can't get a extended B.E.S.T. coverage. Are Can Am Ryker-Spyders really that much in need extra coverage, If you just ride them and take care of them. I only ride 8- 10,000 miles a year now as I live in MN and going older.

Sarge707
12-25-2018, 11:00 AM
I am coming off of 41 years of GoldWings and buying a Ryker Rally. Never used the extended warranties so I quit buying them. Reading about the Spyders it seems like some people are in a panic if they can't get a extended B.E.S.T. coverage. Are Can Am Ryker-Spyders really that much in need extra coverage, If you just ride them and take care of them. I only ride 8- 10,000 miles a year now as I live in MN and going older.

If you put a $250 Down payment before 31 Jan 2019 (I Did) you get one year full warranty and One year Best warranty where you only pay $50 Per Visit/ Problem. Easiest way to get the extra year for FREE?

SpyderAnn01
12-25-2018, 11:01 AM
I have always purchased the extended warranty on my Spyders and they have paid off. I ride a lot more miles than most so I tend to test the limits of the machine. I can see why you would not but one on a Gold Wing, as they are the poster child for reliability but on a Ryker, whoi knows how they will be. If it were me I would buy one.

KID Ryker
12-25-2018, 11:07 AM
I would say yes. I just bought a Ryker 900 ace. I also purchased 4 more years of warranty giving me 6 years. I got the ZURICH warranty. Before Spyder's I also rode Honda's for over 50 years. Started riding Spyders in 2008 GS, 2015 F3, 2016 F3T, now a 2019 Ryker. For me I would say yes. You are going to love your new Ryker Rally. I now have 795 miles on the Ryker it's great. Sunday did a 300 mile day so much fun.

Chupaca
12-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Not having much to go on one does not know it's reliability. You do have a chance to purchase up to the expiration date of the manufacturer warranty. If it is the cost you could wait a bit if not you are the test group so go ahead and commit....:thumbup:

BajaRon
12-25-2018, 11:50 AM
I got the current standard 2 year warranty on my Ryker. They wanted another $900.00 or so for an added 4 year warranty. There are so many unknowns and variables here that it is impossible to say for sure, which way to go.

What you always have to remember about any insurance is that they are betting it won't break. And you are betting that it will.

I did not get the extended warranty. But I would never encourage anyone else to do the same. Nor am I even saying it was a wise move on my part. Only time will tell.

Pros for getting an extended warranty.
Ryker is a brand new product (though built with tried and proven components). No real track record
Spyders in the early years were far less reliable than they are now. Will this be the case with the Ryker? I, and BRP, certainly hope not.
You plan to put a lot of miles on your Ryker
You aren't good at doing your own repairs.
Peace of mind for some (you don't want to take the risk)

Cons for getting an extended warranty.
Cost
You aren't going to ride your Ryker that much
You don't think you're going to keep your Ryker all that long
You can do a lot of repair work yourself
You don't mind taking the risk

If the Ryker does not have issues and can build a reliable and quality reputation. I think the platform will be a big success. It certainly is very easy to ride and a lot of fun!

Jarred
12-25-2018, 04:33 PM
My opinion, yes-get the Can Am BEST Warranty. Ryker is a brand new machine, dealers seem to be miscalculating assembly times. Couple people I know were supposed to pick it up on a Friday, but ended up not being ready till Tuesday/Wednesday.
One thing to keep in mind. All BEST warranties are time based, not miles based. So if u get a 4 year plan, you can put 150k miles on it within the 4 years and still have coverage. On the contrary, if u only ride 2k miles per year, it will still expire after 4 years (8k miles in my example). When I bought my Spyder I just had the 2yr that came w it, but I will be adding the 36m extension next time I’m at the dealer. It’s all a crap shoot, but I’ve always made out well on all extended warranty I’ve bought for my cars. It all boils down to piece of mind, and if you’d rather pay a flat fee now for something you might need, or a few thousand $$ if something major goes wrong. Good luck, welcome to the 3W club!

watertowerman
12-25-2018, 09:45 PM
what is a zurich warranty? is that a factory warranty?

KID Ryker
12-25-2018, 09:59 PM
what is a zurich warranty? is that a factory warranty?

Lot of the dealers sell it instead of BRP Best.

bscrive
12-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Even though we have never had an issue with any of my wife's Spyders, I wouldn't think of getting one without the full warranty. These buggers are just way too expensive to fix when they break. Plus, I just don't have the confidence in them like I do my Valkyrie 1800.

stmike 1800
12-26-2018, 06:55 AM
Yes get all the warranty you can ,you are no longer on a honda .

watertowerman
12-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Even though we have never had an issue with any of my wife's Spyders, I wouldn't think of getting one without the full warranty. These buggers are just way too expensive to fix when they break. Plus, I just don't have the confidence in them like I do my Valkyrie 1800.

I thought I knew the name from the Valkyrie 1800 site 168060

tibadoe
12-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Which ever way I decide to go, I myself will get the warranty for with the Spyder or the Ryker. You never know what can happen down the road. But then again I usually play it safe.

JKMSPYDER
12-26-2018, 09:40 PM
My warranty expires in early January. I was on the fence about adding two extra years of the BEST warranty but finally decided to do it. I average 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year and make 1 or 2 long distance trips per year. I would hate to have to pay 100% for a major repair. I called 5 dealers to get a price and went with the lowest one. Dealer prices are all over the place.

jcthorne
12-27-2018, 07:12 AM
Lots of denied claims from non oem extended warranties and many dealers will not accept them. IE you go file yourself and try to retrieve funds. CanAm BEST is the only one accepted at ALL CANAM dealers and works just like the factory warranty and has factory tech support backing it up.

I would not touch a Zurich or RPM One aftermarket extended warranty. I KNOW how BRP handles claims. They pay them. Over $10k in my case. The others have a long history of denials for the most miniscule of reasons.

Sarge707
12-27-2018, 08:12 AM
Nice thing is -You Don't have to buy it up front! You can wait and buy it for the Best price before your warranty expires? No Rush and $ in the bank for "Now?"