PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar rotation

CTAC
12-24-2018, 09:08 PM
The handlebar has a bit of a u-shaped profile that is biased away from the driver (i.e. the centerline of the bar where it passes through the cam clamp is closer to the driver verses the centerline of the grips. Anyone have experience loosing all the attached items and rotating the handle so it moves the grip centerline closer to the driver?

Chupaca
12-24-2018, 10:12 PM
you have a Ryker Ralley, I don't know but have you checked the owners manual .. ?? We all know the bars slide for and aft but not much on the pivoting....:dontknow:

CTAC
12-24-2018, 10:18 PM
Maybe I missed it, but didn't see anything about the option of rotating the handlebars. Seems like it might be doable???

Bfromla
12-25-2018, 05:16 AM
:welcome::congrats:If its not in your manual then best ask your dealer. These are new machines all around & we still learning:p:coffee:, please share when you do find the way.:thumbup:

PMK
12-25-2018, 05:33 AM
The handlebar has a bit of a u-shaped profile that is biased away from the driver (i.e. the centerline of the bar where it passes through the cam clamp is closer to the driver verses the centerline of the grips. Anyone have experience loosing all the attached items and rotating the handle so it moves the grip centerline closer to the driver?

A photo would have helped, but it sounds as if the handlebars were installed incorrectly if that is possible.

cueman
12-25-2018, 12:03 PM
At the show I went to dealer said you can rotate them a small amount. It seems that the switches are mounted in a pinned position so if you rotate, switches will also rotate as well. cueman

CTAC
12-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks cueman. Was hoping they were just clamped on. Appreciate the information!

KID Ryker
12-25-2018, 12:57 PM
The handlebar has a bit of a u-shaped profile that is biased away from the driver (i.e. the centerline of the bar where it passes through the cam clamp is closer to the driver verses the centerline of the grips. Anyone have experience loosing all the attached items and rotating the handle so it moves the grip centerline closer to the driver? Yes you can rotate the bars, BUT you would have to re drill the hole to match the wiring and controls. Anything is do able if you are capable. :cheers:

cptjam
12-25-2018, 01:56 PM
If I had one, I would flip the bars over. I’ll bet it just takes a drill to locate the positioning pins.

Navydad
12-25-2018, 02:03 PM
I didn't drill the bars on my Triumph when I wanted to rotate the switch housings. I just used my Dremel tool and took off the positioning pins. The housings still tightened enough to keep them from rotating on the bars. Put three years and 70,000 miles on the bike with no issues.

CTAC
12-25-2018, 05:45 PM
Good to know!

CTAC
12-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Got them flipped/rotated. If anyone else wants to get the stock bars higher and a bit closer to you, let me know and I can tell you what I encountered in the process.

Love the new position!!!! Worth the effort for my riding style!

PMK
12-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Got them flipped/rotated. If anyone else wants to get the stock bars higher and a bit closer to you, let me know and I can tell you what I encountered in the process.

Are you saying the end of the handlebars was forward vs what you show in the photo? If so, it seems the bike was assembled incorrectly.

superbee24
12-28-2018, 08:48 PM

They look much better. What all was involved in the flip??

Bfromla
12-28-2018, 08:53 PM

Love the new position!!!! Worth the effort for my riding style!:congrats::2thumbs:
Glad your happy with results, without too much detail, was it a DIY or dealer involved task?, & guess on time to complete please. :popcorn:

CTAC
12-28-2018, 11:19 PM
It was a DIY project. And responding to an earlier post, they were not originally installed incorrectly... Just not to my liking. By rotating them approximately 180 degrees after flipping them, they sit taller and a bit closer to me. It took me a couple hours but others might be able to do it faster. I was being very careful.

The details of what I did:

- Removed the mirrors (one Torx screw per side)
- Removed the hand guards (four socket head cap screws per side)
- Loosened and seperated the throttle casing halves and the throttle grip itself (three Torx screws)
- Loosened and seperated the turn signal/horn/lights casing halves (two Torx screws)
- Removed cables from cable holders (carefully)
- Removed bar clamps and screws (four socket head cap screws)
- Flipped handlebar end-for-end and ensured I slid the throttle housing over handlebar end before placing into the adjustment cradle.
- Replaced the bar clamps and screws. Test fit preferred angle then fully tighten the four socket head screws.
- Inserted a thin screwdriver between grip and handlebar; prying outward to form a gap... then sprayed isopropyl alcohol in the void.
- Twisted and remove grip
- Sprayed isopropyl alcohol inside of grip and slide it on the other end of the bar to the same distance as before
- Marked, center punched, and drilled holes for the pins for both end casings.
- Reassembled the handguards . Note: Since my preferred riding position was about a hundred 180 degrees from where it was, I could utilize the same pin holes for the hand guards after it was flipped end-for-end.
- Reassembled the throttle casing, ensuring the throttle grip was properly seated in the casing halves.
- Reassembled the turn signal/horn/lights casing halves
- Placed the cables inside the cable holders
- Installed the mirrors

Gunner3773
12-29-2018, 08:32 AM
Handlebars might be a great aftermarket possibility for the Ryker!

Michaelscs
12-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Handlebars might be a great aftermarket possibility for the Ryker!

Can-am has 2 addition handlebar options for the Ryker. The Cross-Style & Sport. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/ryker-accessories/handlebars.html Both are priced at $100.

CTAC thanks for your detailed description of your DIY handlebar project. Probably a great way to save a 100 bucks with just a little extra labor.

CTAC
12-29-2018, 11:29 AM
At least we know know it can be done on the cheap. ;) Next project is the under body light kit.

CTAC
12-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Cup holder installed. Gotta have one of those!

Tslepebull
12-29-2018, 06:55 PM
How about a photograph of you (or a proxy) sitting on the bike with your hands on the grips? It would give us a reference.

CTAC
12-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Not sure if this picture will show exactly what you would like to see.

Next project is add a lumbar support! I am gonna do my best to make this a pseudo touring machine. :thumbup:

Tslepebull
12-30-2018, 09:03 PM

Not sure if this picture will show exactly what you would like to see.

Next project is add a lumbar support! I am gonna do my best to make this a pseudo touring machine. :thumbup:

I am thinking something similar. The tail trunk will be my back rest. I think I am going to hold off on the SHAD side bag and see if the aftermarket offers two bags. Even if they are different sizes. A lot will depend on range to fill up.

NM Wrench
01-09-2019, 02:52 PM

I did the Handlebar rotation yesterday and am a little disappointed. It went well but after inverting and rotating 180 degrees the wire hold down and drainage holes have ended up on the top of the bars. I am now looking for some small rubber plugs to fil the holes before spending a hundred bucks for new bars from BRP. Can anyone help me figure out what I might have done wrong? My wife needs the bars at this position so she can ride upright and not leaned over for comfort.

Tslepebull
01-09-2019, 05:01 PM

I did the Handlebar rotation yesterday and am a little disappointed. It went well but after inverting and rotating 180 degrees the wire hold down and drainage holes have ended up on the top of the bars. I am now looking for some small rubber plugs to fil the holes before spending a hundred bucks for new bars from BRP. Can anyone help me figure out what I might have done wrong? My wife needs the bars at this position so she can ride upright and not leaned over for comfort.

How about a little bit of colored silicone sealer in the holes?

CTAC
01-09-2019, 09:01 PM

A picture of my Rally with the cable hold downs pointed forward after performing the steps mentioned at the beginning of this thread. The difference may be the amount of rotation after inverting??? Not sure. Used the original holes for the grip guards as well.

DGoebel
01-10-2019, 09:26 PM
CTAC, Thanks for being courageous enough to tackle this and post it as well.

NM Wrench, visit your local body shop and you should be able to find some small rubber plugs used to plug autobody holes.

CTAC
01-10-2019, 10:08 PM
From the start, my objective is to take this roadster type platform and make it closer to a cruiser. People can make fun of me that I have added a cup holder, GPS, gel seat pad, backrest mounted storage, etc.... but, not to over-dramatize it, the handlebar modification and adding lumbar support has made all the difference in the world for ergonomics. Two-up trips of more than 150 miles are now practical for us.

Michaelscs
01-10-2019, 10:28 PM
From the start, my objective is to take this roadster type platform and make it closer to a cruiser. People can make fun of me that I have added a cup holder, GPS, gel seat pad, backrest mounted storage, etc.... but, not to over-dramatize it, the handlebar modification and adding lumbar support has made all the difference in the world for ergonomics. Two-up trips of more than 150 miles are now practical for us.

Nobody can make fun of you, because most of us have done all those things to our F3's and Rt's to make them more comfortable! This is no different.
Way to go CTAC! Ignore the naysayers that say the Ryker can't be used for long distance touring.

Markubis
01-11-2019, 07:52 AM
When I get mine I will be driving it to work during the summer months and I will want a cup holder for my coffee and probably a lumbar support. So, thank you for being one of the pioneers for the Ryker.
:thumbup:

Mikey
01-11-2019, 08:40 AM

:2thumbs::ohyea: you go big dog, good job!! As long as it works for you, to heck with the rest!

tibadoe
01-11-2019, 07:10 PM
From the start, my objective is to take this roadster type platform and make it closer to a cruiser. People can make fun of me that I have added a cup holder, GPS, gel seat pad, backrest mounted storage, etc..............

I say it's your bike......so do as you like. Making it your own and being comfortable is the way to go.

Gcclubs
07-06-2020, 09:16 PM
It was a DIY project. And responding to an earlier post, they were not originally installed incorrectly... Just not to my liking. By rotating them approximately 180 degrees after flipping them, they sit taller and a bit closer to me. It took me a couple hours but others might be able to do it faster. I was being very careful.

The details of what I did:

- Removed the mirrors (one Torx screw per side)
- Removed the hand guards (four socket head cap screws per side)
- Loosened and seperated the throttle casing halves and the throttle grip itself (three Torx screws)
- Loosened and seperated the turn signal/horn/lights casing halves (two Torx screws)
- Removed cables from cable holders (carefully)
- Removed bar clamps and screws (four socket head cap screws)
- Flipped handlebar end-for-end and ensured I slid the throttle housing over handlebar end before placing into the adjustment cradle.
- Replaced the bar clamps and screws. Test fit preferred angle then fully tighten the four socket head screws.
- Inserted a thin screwdriver between grip and handlebar; prying outward to form a gap... then sprayed isopropyl alcohol in the void.
- Twisted and remove grip
- Sprayed isopropyl alcohol inside of grip and slide it on the other end of the bar to the same distance as before
- Marked, center punched, and drilled holes for the pins for both end casings.
- Reassembled the handguards . Note: Since my preferred riding position was about a hundred 180 degrees from where it was, I could utilize the same pin holes for the hand guards after it was flipped end-for-end.
- Reassembled the throttle casing, ensuring the throttle grip was properly seated in the casing halves.
- Reassembled the turn signal/horn/lights casing halves
- Placed the cables inside the cable holders
- Installed the mirrors

I pulled the throttle and turn signal clusters off and thought I could just completely flip the bars but have them at basically the same level, that would raise them some, but noted the holes for the clusters are at two different distances from the end of the bars so I will need to do a bit of drilling. I do not need to rotate the bars upwards, so i thought this would give me a bit of a higher bar and not have to do any drilling.

canamryder
07-06-2020, 11:26 PM
I pulled the throttle and turn signal clusters off and thought I could just completely flip the bars but have them at basically the same level, that would raise them some, but noted the holes for the clusters are at two different distances from the end of the bars so I will need to do a bit of drilling. I do not need to rotate the bars upwards, so i thought this would give me a bit of a higher bar and not have to do any drilling.

Here's what I have. I have mine tilted back towards me slightly less than 45 degrees. Be aware it's much better to move bars forward for refueling.
https://www.amazon.com/Rox-Speed-FX-Elite-Handlebar/dp/B005U815BU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3IRUPSYJIZ7CZ&dchild=1&keywords=rox+handlebar+risers+7%2F8&qid=1594095249&sprefix=rox+han%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-3
And here's a couple youtube Videos on the same risers:https:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMPLhplv6BE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRbzKmuNHE

Jsmith8695
07-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Rather than removing all the controls to achieve a more comfortable riding position i added ROX risers to my Rally. I used the 3.5" risers. I now have the ability to adjust fore and aft as well as up and down for a customized riding position. The bike is now easier to manuver and feels more settled. Added bonus is my elbows are naturally bent and i am not placing all my upper body weight on my hands and arms.