PDA

View Full Version : Leatherman

safecracker
12-19-2018, 08:11 PM
I was just curious of those who visit site use one or an equivalent. I have gone thru 2 originals, 2 Kicks, original no longer available. Now i am on my second Wave. I just broke my blade when i was trying to pry a cover off of an electronic lock on a safe. So i will be sending that one back to Leatherman to repair. I like a narrow needle nose pliers. If i don't have it on my belt, i feel like i forgot something. Anyway i was curious if anyone of you use one? Bruce

Bob Denman
12-19-2018, 08:34 PM
I've got a 26 year old Super Tool...
But I don't try to use a blade as a prybar...:banghead::banghead::banghead::roflblack:

Chupaca
12-19-2018, 08:51 PM
I have always carried a multitool with me and currently am on my third Shrade "Tough" . Found it to be the best for me but do have a Leatherman kinda like a dressy one small and cute. It is an extension of ones arm for those that work with their hand and especially mechanical...:2thumbs:

wyliec
12-19-2018, 09:09 PM
I have a Leatherman that I keep in the Jeep that has scissors for opening my slim Jim’s, when the gf is not around. I have a Gerber that I sometimes carry with me when we travel, which has 10 tips for the screwdriver; never know when you’ll need to tighten a screw. Neither one has a pry bar.

Peter Aawen
12-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Never liked the Leatherman, but I've carried & used the same Victorinox SwissTool for more than 35 years now (a present from my Wife for one of our Anniversaries); only recently adding a Gerber Suspension multi-tool to my belt (due to increasing loss of joint strength & dexterity in my hands). The SwissTool has aided in all sorts of things, ranging from heavy mechanical repairs thru to remote locality emergency dental work & even emergency surgery (the Surgeon who did the 'real work' 3 days after my 'emergency repairs' was very impressed & now has a SwissTool in his theatre kit!) but nowdays I'm finding the spring loaded pliers of the Gerber helps to make up for its slightly 'less robust precision' & the outright durabilty of the SwissTool. The only thing that's ever needed replacing on the SwissTool has been the little spring on the scissors - once; while the Gerber has needed a few replacement parts that, if I'm brutally honest, may well have been largely due to me being just a little heavy handed & maybe a tad spoilt by how tough the SwissTool has been!! ;)

fjray
12-19-2018, 09:45 PM
I'll second the Swiss tool. Mine has been through 20+ years of abuse and still looks and works like new

JerryB
12-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Hi safecracker,

Re: Leatherman

They are a local company & about 25 yrs ago I met Mr. Leatherman thru work. I consider him a true American success story; even though I also consider him a very strange dude.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Why would someone who uses the name 'safecracker' need a Leatherman tool? Hmmmmmm :yikes:

Saluda
12-19-2018, 10:00 PM
I think one of my favorites is a SOG, now I have to check.

GOZFST
12-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Been carrying a Skeletool for many years, before that their multi-tool. When they first came out I surprised my wife with a small diamond and ruby bracelet for her birthday, she looked at it and said I'd rather have a Leatherman tool.

vindex1963
12-20-2018, 05:59 AM
I have three and have never broken one. Big fan.

pegasus1300
12-20-2018, 12:49 PM
I have carried a Gerber for over 20 years, a gift from my oldest son. It has never failed me, but then I have never tried ti use it as a pry bar. I have it opened enough that all I have to do is is flip my wrist and the pliers pop out and I can access all the rest of the functions.

R FUN
12-20-2018, 02:01 PM
I also carry the Victorinox. I purchased it direct at the factory when I was in Switzerland. It has the narrow needle nose pliers, serrated blade, scisors etc. very tough and durable.
Roger

mcan1x
12-20-2018, 02:47 PM
I'd be lost on the job without my Wave.
I've broken the little eyeglass screw driver and one of the knife blades, with Leatherman being local, I went to the brick and mortar store and got them replaced free on the spot.
I also carry a set of bits in the holder, many jobs I've been on, I haven't had to open my toolbox.

2dogs
12-20-2018, 03:12 PM
A leatherman was the first addition to my spyder.

ARtraveler
12-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Was given a Leatherman for Christmas one year. I wore it for about a month. Never have used it. Still in my tool drawer.

Bob Denman
12-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Do you want to sell it? :D

Daddyray
12-21-2018, 08:35 AM
I have carried a Gerber on my side for over 15 years and love them. They also have a great warranty. I called Gerber and talked with them and then sent back mine as I loaned it to someone and they broke one of the jaws off. Gerber replaced mine with a brand new one along with a few holders that I had worn out. Their warranty is great.

BilltheDiver
12-21-2018, 09:55 AM
I have the original leatherman as well as a Gerber. Both great tools.

Bob Denman
12-21-2018, 10:17 AM