PDA

View Full Version : External Battery Jump Port

michrick
12-16-2018, 06:37 AM
Has anyone installed the Sling Mods external battery jump port on their spider? Thanks for any help.

https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spyder-battery-jumper-port

glorybiz
12-16-2018, 07:30 AM
I just pack this. If I need a jump, I hook directly and it costs alot less

PMK
12-16-2018, 07:53 AM
No, I have not. Pretty certain Slingmods is not the manufacturer. Last time I visited their website, they seemed to be a seller of all brands available.

Not sure I like the idea of a large gauge wire with no fuse or current limiter prancing about moving suspension and steering parts. Additionally, that is the positive post. Would be curious and cautious about where the ground wire from the jumpers connects.

Many people bought “Jump Packs”, lamonster sells one, and will acess the battery terminals if needed since hopefully getting a battery jump is seldom if ever needed.

All the best if you do install it.

ofdave
12-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Seems to be a good idea.
And Slingmods is probably not the manufacturer, nor does lamonster manufacture his jump pack, nor are most sellers of aftermarket products the manufacturers of them.

The jump port is a good idea because it lets you ground to the frame which, in most cases, is better than going to the negative terminal. In fact, many instructions for jump starting state to not connect the ground to the battery.
Here's just one instructional: https://www.meineke.com/blog/jump-start-car-battery-right-way/

michrick
12-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Thanks all for your comments Michrick

PMK
12-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Seems to be a good idea.
And Slingmods is probably not the manufacturer, nor does lamonster manufacture his jump pack, nor are most sellers of aftermarket products the manufacturers of them.

The jump port is a good idea because it lets you ground to the frame which, in most cases, is better than going to the negative terminal. In fact, many instructions for jump starting state to not connect the ground to the battery.
Here's just one instructional: https://www.meineke.com/blog/jump-start-car-battery-right-way/

Problem of going to the frame for a high amp ground, where, our frame is pretty well painted or powdercoated.

george123
12-16-2018, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=michrick;1408183]Has anyone installed the Sling Mods external battery jump port on their spider? Thanks for any help.

I installed one from Tricled that looks the same. Haven’t had to use it yet, but I think it will be much more convenient. Here is that link:

https://www.tricledusa.com/product-page/battery-jumper-port-for-all-spyder-2013

michrick
12-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Thanks george123

MeudtPG
12-16-2018, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=michrick;1408183]Has anyone installed the Sling Mods external battery jump port on their spider? Thanks for any help.

I installed one from Tricled that looks the same. Haven’t had to use it yet, but I think it will be much more convenient. Here is that link:

https://www.tricledusa.com/product-page/battery-jumper-port-for-all-spyder-2013
Hi george123! Could you please show me a picture of where on the front a-frame poly that you mounted it to?
Thanks.

Bfromla
12-16-2018, 05:46 PM
Has anyone installed the Sling Mods external battery jump port on their spider? Thanks for any help.

For 2013 & newer so basicly all it does is extend the oem 167858 under the frunk lid (not hard to access) to a 1 positive post & a frame clamp that may or may not ground properly:dontknow: Na not me thank you. Others with hard to access battery post maybe & good luck & the image looks like they removed the Aarm covers where some may have lights mounted too.(something to consider)

Bob Denman
12-18-2018, 07:57 AM
I'd be a little bit cautious about adding one to the bikes...
They're already pretty darn complex, and this seems a bit unnecessary: based upon the amount of times that you might need it.
I just carried the Rugged Geek for my "insurance policy".

JayBros
12-18-2018, 08:30 AM
I do as Bob did. We have a rough idea about how long a Spyder OEM battery will last, so if I have to use the Rugged Geek once on my bike it's getting a new factory filled Yuasa.

Road-Kill
12-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Fear Mongering.
In my 30+ years of riding nothing but roadside insurance, cell phones "when they were invented" and cash/credit cards have helped.
I had a battery die when riding my 1980s Honda shadow. The battery had a circuit that fried and no jumping/pushing would have helped.
I had my stator and rectifier fry while riding my 2000 Harley FLHTCUI, jumping would not have helped.
I had a battery die on my 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner after gassing up and was able to push start it but it died when I got home a few miles later.
A battery jump would have added only a few extra miles to a dead busted battery.
This thread reminds me of another thread where someone asked what emergency equipment do people carry.
The amount of "stuff" some people carry in their bags turned into a comedy stint.
As one poster noted he never needed one so doesn't carry one and others prefer (as I do) to replace batteries as a routine.
Fear less, ride more.

Bob Denman
12-18-2018, 12:07 PM
:D You've got to admit: it never hurts to be prepared...

ivanlee
12-18-2018, 12:47 PM

This is where I install the connection for charging and jumping.

Spydermon
12-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Although I bought my 2012 RT used, but, very well maintained. I have a separate hook up to jump start it under the seat. Am I wrong to assume they all came like this? Without that I can only guess what a PITA it would be to try and jump start a 2012 RT. Even with the hook up like Glorybiz has using (the Battery Tender hook up) I think that would fry that fuse in there trying to jump through that cable. I am glad I have a separate hook up under my seat for jumper cables. I’d be absolutely screwed without them.

Road-Kill
12-19-2018, 08:46 AM
I agree.
I've seen more harm done to electrical systems for machines that never ever needed a jump.
If I ever needed a jump I'll just remove my trunk from my frunk, nice-n-easy jack a peezy.
This removal takes about 2 minutes of my precious time and I'll never ground out or fry anything.

I'd be a little bit cautious about adding one to the bikes...
They're already pretty darn complex, and this seems a bit unnecessary: based upon the amount of times that you might need it.
I just carried the Rugged Geek for my "insurance policy".
I agree

I do as Bob did. We have a rough idea about how long a Spyder OEM battery will last, so if I have to use the Rugged Geek once on my bike it's getting a new factory filled Yuasa.
But at what point?
There are people I've met that utilize their very limited cargo space to carrying all their nightmare scenario tools with them.
When I broke down on my Spyder a few months age (front sprocket ground out) I pulled out my cell phone and called BRP.
Two hours later I was home.....without an issue.
I was prepared.....Cell & Roadside...(I didn't need $$$ cause I still have BRP roadside and AAA)

:D You've got to admit: it never hurts to be prepared...

PapaHotel
12-19-2018, 09:51 AM
And yet when my drive sprocket failed, no amount of tools made up for the fact
I was 100 miles and two-ten days away from getting the parts.

Road-Kill
12-19-2018, 10:12 AM
You should have known your front sprocket might could possibly maybe have failed.:banghead:
You should have been prepared carrying with you an extra front sprocket, sockets, wrenches, a car jack and flashlight.:lecturef_smilie:

And yet when my drive sprocket failed, no amount of tools made up for the fact
I was 100 miles and two-ten days away from getting the parts.

george123
12-19-2018, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=george123;1408247]
Hi george123! Could you please show me a picture of where on the front a-frame poly that you mounted it to?
Thanks.

It mounts on the left front, on the plastic cover, next to the shock. It was very quick and easy to install. Here are pictures:167903167904

MeudtPG
01-07-2019, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=MeudtPG;1408284]

It mounts on the left front, on the plastic cover, next to the shock. It was very quick and easy to install. Here are pictures:167903167904

Here is my install and it went very easy. 168363
It is valuable to me because of where I mounted my FZ-1 fuzeblock: 168364
Thanks