PDA

View Full Version : Sport bikes vs. Spyders

dave01
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Got up here in NC yesterday and took the whole day today riding. This is my first trip thru roads with turns since I bought her. Hey, what can I say, I live in FL part of the year 11 curves in 318 miles....

Today I really noticed the difference between riding the bike and the Spyder.
Test bike is my 01 Busa, lowered 1 inch, stretched 4 inches with tons of horsepower.
Test Spyder is my 09 Phantom.

Highway 28, which is one of my favorites on the bike, was a true handful from Franklin to Luada since the road crowns pretty good and I could really feel the Spyder pull right or left when I moved out of the center of the lane.:yikes:The real tight turns took some body english from me, but that made it even more fun:thumbup:.
Wayah rd. took quite a bit of effort to chase down a few bikes. The straights were no problem at all, but I need to admit the turns will take some time to get comfortable with. Never a problem with the B-king or Busa.
All in all, the Spyder is a good replacement for one of the bikes ( the B-King), and maybe I can meet up with some more experienced riders and learn how to master some of these turns....Anyone up for some tutoring:D:D:D

vt228
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
going to Laconia june 13 to 16thif you are going call me 508 367 4621 Don :ohyea::doorag::doorag::doorag::ohyea: Ill be at the fun spot at the Can-am tent .

bjt
06-10-2009, 08:37 PM
...All in all, the Spyder is a good replacement for one of the bikes ( the B-King), and maybe I can meet up with some more experienced riders and learn how to master some of these turns....Anyone up for some tutoring:D:D:D

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/bad-idea-014.gif There is a guy who lives down that way, rides those roads fairly often and was reported to be pretty good at handling a Spyder. I thought he ran a forum or something like that... http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-020.gif What was his name........ http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-020.gif

:D :D :D :D

hevnbound
06-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Dave ..... There are some tricks that can get you up to speed on the Spyder but you will never be able to stay with a Sport Bike in the twisties! Just get off the seat and onto the pegs leaning forward (try to bite the mirrors!!) and hold on!! On a hard right when you are down hard on the peg, be sure you can still get on the brake. This is when I would kill for a hand brake!!

I've got a B-King also and it will run circles around the stretched 'Busa in the curves. However for straight-line runnning in FL, the Busa will eat the King shortly after you leave the line. I'm assuming your engines are both stock?

As much as I love my Spyder, if I had to go down to one, it would be a no brainer ..... B-King is the keeper. I've had a lot of bikes in my lifetime but the B-King is beyond a doubt the best motorcycle I've ever owned!!

Have fun and watch out for the Leo's at the Gap .. also in Noth Georgia if you venture down that far.

jeuchler
06-10-2009, 08:49 PM
going to Laconia june 13 to 16thif you are going call me 508 367 4621 Don :ohyea::doorag::doorag::doorag::ohyea: Ill be at the fun spot at the Can-am tent .

Don

Can-Am is at Laconia this year for sure? :dontknow:

dave01
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the tips. My Bking was stock, however the Busa is running a 35-40 garrett turbo, c-16 fuel and 1428cc's. She is a handful in the twisties and I can tap the bodywork in the turns.
Gonna try to ride the Spyder like my quad and see if that works. And yes, the streets were crowded with Leo's today
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/gsxr1255/P1010093.jpg

daddydarko
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Gonna have to call you Plastic Man. Lot of plastic on those two bikes and both cost a lotta plastic too! :thumbup:

dave01
06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Gonna have to call you Plastic Man. Lot of plastic on those two bikes and both cost a lotta plastic too! :thumbup:
LOL, my old screen name from another site was capt. carbon. All carbon fiber body and rims on the Busa.