PDA

View Full Version : Ryker Tires vs Spyder (Kenda)

nchangin
12-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Good morning, curious to see what Spyder owners know from past experience of the Kenda tire experience. I have not been keeping up but I know the "stock Kenda tires support only" policy with Spyders, at one time was/was not enforced? Is it still currently same scenario? I will see if my dealer can give prices yet on stock oem tire replacement.

I looked at manual, googled the tire sizes, not a lot of options.

Front:
Ryker 600 Ryker 900
Kenda KR390 145/60R16
M/C 66T

Ryker
900 Rally
Edition
Kenda KR392 145/60R16
M/C 66T

Rear:
Ryker 600 Ryker 900
Kenda KR391 205/45R16
M/C 77T

Ryker 900 Rally Edition
Kenda KR393 205/55R15
M/C 81T

SpyderAnn01
12-03-2018, 09:55 AM
There are quite a few options in the 205/45R16 including a Yokohama S Drive.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Good morning, curious to see what Spyder owners know from past experience of the Kenda tire experience. I have not been keeping up but I know the "stock Kenda tires support only" policy with Spyders, at one time was/was not enforced? Is it still currently same scenario? I will see if my dealer can give prices yet on stock oem tire replacement.

I looked at manual, googled the tire sizes, not a lot of options.

Front:
Ryker 600 Ryker 900
Kenda KR390 145/60R16
M/C 66T

Ryker
900 Rally
Edition
Kenda KR392 145/60R16
M/C 66T

Rear:
Ryker 600 Ryker 900
Kenda KR391 205/45R16
M/C 77T

Ryker 900 Rally Edition
Kenda KR393 205/55R15
M/C 81T

IMO - the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire is the best rated tire for any Spyders….. I just checked out their web-site " Vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres " ….. choose the Quatrac 5 - pick 16 in. size and check out what they have. ………….. Mike

FirstBike
06-26-2020, 05:46 PM
The dealer where I purchased my 2014 Spyder RT Limited went out of business. I had the next closest dealer do my 9300 mile servicing today. He recommended a new rear tire and only the Kenda OEM brand citing other brands would set off a code and cause other major problems. I still have some tread left and am wondering what kind of mileage I can expect out of the stock Kenda tire. Please share your experience. 9300 miles seems way too low to have to replace a tire esp since I baby my bike. Dealer said I was on the high end since 7,000-10,000 miles what is usually can be experienced. Really? I'm a senior citizen and this is my first bike so I don't know what to believe. Any guidance would be appreciated.

This dealer also tried to discourage me from using the full synthetic Amsoil I switched to at the initial 3,000 mile oil change wanting me to switch back to the OEM semi-synthetic citing problems with "after-market" oils. I didn't go for it. Anyone experience this same line? Funny that he had the Amsoil in stock.

Jerry

SportsterDoc
06-26-2020, 06:32 PM
1. A circumference difference may cause a problem for the ABS. What code did the dealer reference?

2. If the dealer insists on BRP-XPS.oil, ask him to reference the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Peter Aawen
06-26-2020, 06:35 PM
FirstBike, are those Ryker rims actually 'Motorcycle rims' & the tires actually 'motorcycle tires'; or are they, like the Spyders, REALLY auto rims with 'J' type bead profiles, and the tires also REALLY auto tires with 'J' type CAR ONLY beads on them (that are unsafe on proper motorcycle rims!) only also with a 'made up by BRP' Label (purely to warn people not to put them on their cars cos they're too weak to safely run on a car) that says 'Special Motorcycle only'?? :dontknow:

Regardless, the dealer makes more profit & scores more brownie points with BRP if he sells you the OE spec Kenda tires & the BRP oil nojoke Because it's extremely unlikely that you can even FIT a tire that's different enough in rolling dia to throw a code, the crap about any other tire setting off codes & causing major issues ONLY refers to the 'lost money' codes & the 'missed sales' major problems THEY will experience if you do/use otherwise; and when it comes to doing that on your Spyder/Ryker, it's pegging the BS meter WAAAAY over onto the 'full on, sloppy, sticky, and smelly bovine faecal matter' end of the scale!! Same with the Amsoil crap!! The ONLY thing hurt by you using quality alternatives is their profit!! :banghead: Pretty much every Spyder owner has experienced this to some degree, and that's largely why many learn to do the basic necessities on their machines. ;)

So, can you really trust this mob to do the right thing by your servicing and maintenance? :shocked: After all, they've already 'stretched the truth' somewhat to their potential monetary benefit, can you trust them not to do that on other things?? Maybe you should have a frank discussion with the dealer principal? :dontknow: Or better yet, find an independent mechanic you can trust; or maybe do your own basic servicing & wheel removal/refitting, since most tire shops can at least strip the Kenda crap and fit a good quality tire onto the Spyder/Ryker rims instead, even if only a few will have the infrequently needed small spindle cones to run them on their balancers?!? :thumbup:

And BRP/their dealers wonder why no-one trusts them?!

SportsterDoc
06-26-2020, 07:26 PM
7000 to 10,000 miles is normal on a motorcycle rear tire.

My Triumph got 7,000 miles on the original rear tire..
could have gone a little farther but I replaced it before a 600 mile across the desert trip.

My CB 1100 got 10,500 miles on the original rear tire and it still had some life, but I wanted to switch to scrambler tires.

The Ryker has much more tread on the ground than a motorcycle, but the weight distribution is much different and spinning the rear wheel, even unintentionally, is very easy on the Ryker, especially at speeds under 40 miles an hour.

On that basis I would not expect more than 10,000 miles on the rear tire.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-26-2020, 09:27 PM
FirstBike, are those Ryker rims actually 'Motorcycle rims' & the tires actually 'motorcycle tires'; or are they, like the Spyders, REALLY auto rims with 'J' type bead profiles, and the tires also REALLY auto tires with 'J' type CAR ONLY beads on them (that are unsafe on proper motorcycle rims!) only also with a 'made up by BRP' Label (purely to warn people not to put them on their cars cos they're too weak to safely run on a car) that says 'Special Motorcycle only'?? :dontknow:

Regardless, the dealer makes more profit & scores more brownie points with BRP if he sells you the OE spec Kenda tires & the BRP oil nojoke Because it's extremely unlikely that you can even FIT a tire that's different enough in rolling dia to throw a code, the crap about any other tire setting off codes & causing major issues ONLY refers to the 'lost money' codes & the 'missed sales' major problems THEY will experience if you do/use otherwise; and when it comes to doing that on your Spyder/Ryker, it's pegging the BS meter WAAAAY over onto the 'full on, sloppy, sticky, and smelly bovine faecal matter' end of the scale!! Same with the Amsoil crap!! The ONLY thing hurt by you using quality alternatives is their profit!! :banghead: Pretty much every Spyder owner has experienced this to some degree, and that's largely why many learn to do the basic necessities on their machines. ;)

So, can you really trust this mob to do the right thing by your servicing and maintenance? :shocked: After all, they've already 'stretched the truth' somewhat to their potential monetary benefit, can you trust them not to do that on other things?? Maybe you should have a frank discussion with the dealer principal? :dontknow: Or better yet, find an independent mechanic you can trust; or maybe do your own basic servicing & wheel removal/refitting, since most tire shops can at least strip the Kenda crap and fit a good quality tire onto the Spyder/Ryker rims instead, even if only a few will have the infrequently needed small spindle cones to run them on their balancers?!? :thumbup:

And BRP/their dealers wonder why no-one trusts them?!

:clap::clap::clap: ...... I just happened to re-check an old KENDA I have .... it states on the sidewall " this tire REQUIRES a " J " rim bead wheel " .... case closed ......Thanks Peter ..... Mike :thumbup: