PDA

View Full Version : Rear fender damage RSS

sulaco
12-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Somehow....someone managed to either back over or drive into my fender at work [hoping cams in parking lot will show something]...Any way just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of possibly repairing the damage by buffing it out or sanding and polishing....if it's possible.
Thanks

JayBros
12-01-2018, 04:58 PM
IMO, it depends on what you want it to look like when the buffing/polishing is done. A good body shop might be your best shot and, if they don't think it will look very professional, have it repainted.

Chupaca
12-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Depends on the depth of the damage. It looks like a flat finish making it a bit harder to just buff out. Being as the fender is a small piece and easy to remove I would order the stickers and repaint the whole fender. Or a big sticker of your chosing will cover it.....:thumbup:congrats you can get the OEM stickers at cheapcycleparts.com

sulaco
12-01-2018, 07:08 PM
IMO, it depends on what you want it to look like when the buffing/polishing is done. A good body shop might be your best shot and, if they don't think it will look very professional, have it repainted.

Depends on the depth of the damage. It looks like a flat finish making it a bit harder to just buff out. Being as the fender is a small piece and easy to remove I would order the stickers and repaint the whole fender. Or a big sticker of your chosing will cover it.....:thumbup:congrats you can get the OEM stickers at cheapcycleparts.com
Thanks...If I were to sand out and paint...how would you recommend best procedure in sanding..?and recommendations on paint?
Thanks

Biscuit
12-01-2018, 09:46 PM
I cannot see the depth of the scratch, but it appears to be into the base material.
I would have a body shop look at it. If the prep work isn't done properly you will see it.

The reason I say this is my older brother has been operating a body shop for over 50 years and I have seen a lot of repair work.

Rod

canamjhb
12-01-2018, 10:06 PM
I don't know the price of a new fender or the price to have this one professionally repaired. But I'll bet those costs are almost equal. Whatever you do, don't do the prep work yourself and then take it to a body shop for painting. If it doesn't come out right, guess whose fault it will be, according to the body shop.....Jim

JayBros
12-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Part #705004660 is the fender for a 2014 RS-S listed at $164.99 on both BRP and Cheap Cycle Parts web sites in black flat finish. Might cost at least that much to have a good body shop do a prep and repaint. Just a WAG.

sulaco
12-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Thank you everyone for responses!...also Thanks to jaybros for getting a part# and price...
I really do hope security can find something on the camera in parking lot...there is a camera right close to where I parked so im really hoping something shows up...hopefully will know Monday.
I will try try my hand at sanding it out and painting it....also like "Chupaca" recommendation on a big sticker...:)
Thanks again everyone!

starrider60
12-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Or just get one of those big Band Aids to put over it. I put bullet holes decals on a tank dent and got lots of high fives for my inventiveness. :ohyea: