PDA

View Full Version : a Ryker for 2up & a lot of luggage ??

chris56
12-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Hi,

after a 2 years "brake" we are able to restart with 3 wheels in the new Saisons - my plan is a little more "adventure" machine than our old RT ..
(I getting retired end of the year!)

the new Ryker 900 is technically soo brilliant for me and it sould be strong enough for our tours but ..

we need a much lower komfortable seat for the passenger (my Girl) and a possibility to fix a topcase or so, the idea is to change the frame which holds the seat to the lowest possible position ..shouldn`t be an expensive problem ???

on the end it should look like this chinese unit....

any ideas ???

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Hi, I've done a fair amount of successful " fabricating " in my time. ( I designed & made the ONLY shock angle change for the 1330 frame among other things ). so I see where you want to go with this. IMHO the first think you must determine is EXACTLY how far up that rear wheel can possibly move …..That will be your maximum limit as far as lowering the seat. You could probably go within a 1/4 in ( 6mm ? ) of the maximum and be safe, because the rear wouldn't ride at that distance most of the time. So there will be clearance for mud /debris etc. ………...Good on you - please keep us posted with your progress …… Mike

ARtraveler
12-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Hi,

after a 2 years "brake" we are able to restart with 3 wheels in the new Saisons - my plan is a little more "adventure" machine than our old RT ..
(I getting retired end of the year!)

the new Ryker 900 is technically soo brilliant for me and it sould be strong enough for our tours but ..

we need a much lower komfortable seat for the passenger (my Girl) and a possibility to fix a topcase or so, the idea is to change the frame which holds the seat to the lowest possible position ..shouldn`t be an expensive problem ???

on the end it should look like this chinese unit....

any ideas ???

GO FOR IT. When GS/ SM5 came out in 2008, that is exactly what we did. Basic machine, add fairing, better seat, saddle bags, trunk, etc. At that time there were a FEW BRP add on parts, Corbin jumped in with some good stuff, and aftermarket stuff (though few and far between) was found.

I do think the aftermarket stuff for RYKER will be more plentiful, quicker. Time will tell. Please keep us posted. :yes:

cueman
12-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Hello All, I just got back from a Ryker showing and may be able to help. To start with, I’m about 250lbs. and with me sitting on the Rally Edition with about a 160 lbs passenger, the suspension in the rear was bottomed out. The Rally has the KYB shocks that are adj. and I believe I would be able to make it work just fine as the factory setting was set soft. The problem was the seat was very close to the tire. So if you lower the seat much you may run into clearance issues. Hope this helps. Cueman

bscrive
12-01-2018, 03:21 PM
I would not use the Ryker for a turing machine like the way you want to use it you'd be far better off getting an F3T or F3L. The Ryker will not handle that much weight on it for any kind of distance.
That's like trying to pull a large camping trailer with an F-150 with the four cylinder in it sure it might do it for a while but it won't take long to destroy it.

canamjhb
12-01-2018, 03:35 PM
For curiosity, I pulled up the Specifications for the Ryker. The Specs. show dry weight but do not include GVWR. But for capacity they show only one passenger. Maybe someone has seen what the weight carrying capacity is.....? I think that could be a critical and deciding factor to determine suitabilty for your needs. Good luck.....

Chupaca
12-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Not sure you could swing it all. Adding the luggage space should be doable not sure on the other. Now the interesting thing will be to see who comes up with a trailer hitch for the ryker or if you can or are allowed to tow one...:thumbup:

Sarge707
12-01-2018, 06:16 PM
The Max weight is 449 Lbs for the Non-Rally and 438 Lbs for the Rally (From the User Manual) An Average American couple probably couldn't even ride 2 Up in todays world?
I would suggest getting 2 600 Rykers OR 1 600 and 1 900 and with the side bag (9 Gallons) and if you added a aftermarket bag to the max mount instead of that 6 Gallon container they charge you a arm and a leg for you could travel Very Nice and Communicate with each other (Or Not) via Bluetooth stuff. Both enjoy the Fun as 2 600s would be less than the average Spyder!!!

Bfromla
12-02-2018, 05:52 AM
I would not use the Ryker for a turing machine like the way you want to use it you'd be far better off getting an F3T or F3L. The Ryker will not handle that much weight on it for any kind of distance.
That's like trying to pull a large camping trailer with an F-150 with the four cylinder in it sure it might do it for a while but it won't take long to destroy it.

:agree: somewhat the Ryker is more for in town errands / commute & maybe some sporty off-road play, but not for touring. You want to enjoy your toure not endure it.

chris56
12-02-2018, 05:57 AM
Hello All, I just got back from a Ryker showing and may be able to help. To start with, I’m about 250lbs. and with me sitting on the Rally Edition with about a 160 lbs passenger, the suspension in the rear was bottomed out. The Rally has the KYB shocks that are adj. and I believe I would be able to make it work just fine as the factory setting was set soft. The problem was the seat was very close to the tire. So if you lower the seat much you may run into clearance issues. Hope this helps. Cueman

it`s all a question about the weight - together with my Girl /Helmets / Jackets and so on we reach 330lbs !!! so we can use 100lbs for the luggage -
seems the Ryker is more for lightweight ryders

ARtraveler
12-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Yes to those who state that weight will be a factor. Two up may not be a good idea for the average sized persons these days.

KID Ryker
12-02-2018, 08:14 PM
It won't be the first light weight touring bike on the road. I will be using it for solo touring can't wait. :yes:

jaherbst
12-03-2018, 12:29 AM
Let us know how that all works out. :joke: First thing to find is a "Large" windshield. Second is a doable seat and third would be a space for luggage

Jack

Bob Denman
12-03-2018, 08:31 AM
With enough money: you can certainly turn it into a fairly decent two-up tourer... :2thumbs:
But for probably not a whole lot more money: you can buy an excellent tourer (The RT...)

KID Ryker
12-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Don't want a RT. Have a 2016 F3T. No larger windshield. Stock seat fine. No more luggage. Want a sport bike not a RV.

jaherbst
12-04-2018, 09:27 PM
With enough money: you can certainly turn it into a fairly decent two-up tourer... :2thumbs:
But for probably not a whole lot more money: you can buy an excellent tourer (The RT...)

You took the words right out of my mouth Bob!

Jack

ofdave
12-09-2018, 11:41 AM
I understand wanting luggage on your ride. Have never had a bike or Spyder without.
As was mentioned above, the Ryker was not developed to be a touring ride. I expect it could be a great solo tourer though, but without adding too much crap.
Many will make it work for them as has been done with lots of non-touring motorcycles.
A trailer hitch is probably a bad idea. I don't see the CVT trans being the best for pulling a trailer. If you need that, get a Spyder which are made for it. So you ad a trailer hitch and what follows is all the bitching about not enough power to pull a trailer. It isn't designed for that.

chris56
12-09-2018, 12:30 PM
thanks - my first Spyder GS had around the same payload capacity (440 lbs) - I got one of the first GIVI Racks from Canada and we used it as a perfect tourer here in the alps for two years ....

the Spyker has really everything now which was on my "wishlist" - the seat and the cases will not be that problem
(I plan to install a seat-frame from a bike (BMW ?) where I also could use the original Givi-holders for this Modell)

10 Years ago - spyderlovers-live:

Bob Denman
12-10-2018, 06:43 PM
The best of luck to you with this project! :thumbup:

Rogue Hawk
12-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Need to use some imagination...

Mits66
10-05-2019, 03:48 AM
Went to look ar RT's and ended up looking at F3 / Ryker seems to fit better. The wife sat on 900 Ryker so now I have to cheat on my taxes. Let me know how this turned or is turning out. Interesting.... I may end up just sharing hers since the controls adjust.
Whats weird you cant find these used and if you do they want the same as a new one.

chris56
10-05-2019, 04:46 AM
so now we reach the 10.000 miles without any Problems .. would buy it once again !!

MDLNB
10-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Harley's Sportster was not made for touring, but for sport and yet I have seen plenty of two ups and touring. If you want the Ryker for a tour bike, then DO IT. There is nothing that stops one from using their imagination and ingenuity. As for pulling a trailer, I see NO problem. A bicycle trailer will work. The one wheel type with a little modification and hold a lot of gear. I can see why you would not want a Spyder. I did not even consider one. The only reason for my switch from my two wheeler to the Ryker was the feeling that I was ALMOST still on a motorcycle AND the fact that my clutch hand needs multiple surgeries. I totally agree with you on your wishing to stay with the Ryker. I am looking at doing modifications so that I can carry some light gear on it and I do not want a large box on the back. I plan to utilize a luggage rack for strapping stuff to the back AND saddle bags. I would rather carry via saddle bags than a luggage box, but that is just MY preference.
To tell you the truth, I do not see how you will lower the passenger seat, because of the movement of the back wheel. IF you could find a VERY stiff spring and shock, you might be able to lower the rear seat but the ride would be quite a bit harder and uncomfortable. But, I am sure you can figure out a work around. Many folks like being higher on the rear so that they can enjoy the scenery in front.
I envy you, because my wife hasn't been riding with me in decades and I was hoping that with the three wheeler, she would. She might eventually, but right now she has trouble climbing UP on the back. She used to love riding around the country on the back of my two wheelers when we were both young.
Don't listen to those that tell you that you CAN'T do something. If you have a wish to make something happen, it can be done. Many answers have come from this forum from what I can see in the short time I have been on here.

Folks, he does NOT want a Spider. He wants to make his Ryker work for him. Respect that.

Good luck and keep us posted on your ideas because there are probably others on here wanting to do the same thing. I do like the idea of a lower passenger seat position, so if you get any ideas please pass them on.

TNRyker
10-14-2019, 09:30 AM
176428 176429

I made mine sort of a touring ryker. I ride with my wife from time to time and it handles the weight fantastic, even at highway speeds (80+mph) granted we weight together around 315lbs + 40 to 50lbs in cases and the racks made. I know we are under the limit. I did installed an Elka rear shock and a backrest for the driver. I have to agree with others that the ryker seems to drive better with more weight on it. When I added the side saddle bags It felt like more planted or more stable to me. A real blast to ride. I love this machine.

PS. I am waiting for a Madstad windshield I ordered. Is gonna feel even better with a larger windshield. :ohyea:

Switchback12
10-14-2019, 09:40 AM
176428 176429

I made mine sort of a touring ryker. I ride with my wife from time to time and it handles the weight fantastic, even at highway speeds (80+mph) granted we weight together around 315lbs + 40 to 50lbs in cases and the racks made. I know we are under the limit. I did installed an Elka rear shock and a backrest for the driver. I have to agree with others that the ryker seems to drive better with more weight on it. When I added the side saddle bags It felt like more planted or more stable to me. A real blast to ride. I love this machine.

PS. I am waiting for a Madstad windshield I ordered. Is gonna feel even better with a larger windshield. :ohyea:

How did you attach the saddlebags? who makes the saddlebags? who makes the backrest? If you custom made the bracket you would mind sharing the how to steps? Where does the saddlebag mounts bolt on to? If you can share the link thanks.

glennm
10-14-2019, 07:59 PM
176428 176429

That is one terrific setup! Would like to hear more too on how it was achieved.

MDLNB
10-14-2019, 08:52 PM
176428 176429

That's a sharp looking machine. Reminds me of "BumbleBee" from the Transformers movie. Let us know if it gets up and decides to take off without you....🐝

snayl135
10-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Is that a rally? Wondering if the 600 would do just as well?

MRH
10-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Even if you were to modify the Ryker enough to do what you want to do, I would think that what makes the Ryker a more fun ride (for many) would be lost in the modifications and the extra weight. You'd probably want a more powerful engine and a more substantial frame, etc. If only the same company made something that was like a Ryker, but designed to handle two passengers and still perform...

chris56
10-25-2019, 12:21 AM
reached the 10.000 miles - still absolut no Problems (also my nuts in the wheels are OK - it is a 2018 Modell) - getting colder here, so I installed the "luxury" fairing of the Can-Am Outlander .. works really perfect!
But the really revolution is to ryde with the higher and wider handlebars - complete new feeling, much much better than the original !!

Mikey
10-25-2019, 06:07 AM
Glad to see your little rockets working for you! Just goes to say with enough time and money, you can do anything!! You should go get a job with BRP!!

cptjam
10-25-2019, 10:02 PM
Love it, Chris! Post some pictures of that fairing. Did it bolt on, or was there fabricated work? Is your saddle stock? Is it comfortable? 10K is terrific! I think 900cc is plenty. You can make it work!!

chris56
10-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Love it, Chris! Post some pictures of that fairing. Did it bolt on, or was there fabricated work? Is your saddle stock? Is it comfortable? 10K is terrific! I think 900cc is plenty. You can make it work!!

I love the new handlebars !! much much better handling now ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQsis3FES4&feature=youtu.be

Blackrain047
10-28-2019, 04:49 AM
176428 176429

Man, you made that Ryker into an awesome looking machine! It's like a Ryker Limited or Ryker RT - LOL. I bet you have a lot of fun on it too! Just riiiiiide!

chris56
10-28-2019, 07:48 AM
here you see the "relaxed" position of my arms with the higher handlebars .. the fairing looks also good in the coloured Versions ..

chris56
10-29-2019, 08:00 AM
and here is ..how I fixed the topcase and the seat cushion ... but I still need a higher driver seat now - is cheaper than a new "smaller" passenger( after 36 years) :ohyea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5xzeyHToM

KID Ryker
10-29-2019, 08:37 AM
You do Great Work. Thanks for the post.

Ladyjfrancis
04-23-2020, 10:51 AM
I love your bike. What name brand &model of side backs and top case is added to your bike? Also the back rest for driver?

chris56
04-23-2020, 01:29 PM
I love your bike. What name brand &model of side backs and top case is added to your bike? Also the back rest for driver?

the side case is original, the topcase is from GIVI ..I wanted the one with painted lid (peugeot scooter) the seats are handcrafted ..

MDLNB
04-23-2020, 02:07 PM
here you see the "relaxed" position of my arms with the higher handlebars .. the fairing looks also good in the coloured Versions ..

Totally agree with your assessment of having higher handlebars. I replaced mine with just about a 4-5 inch rise and it makes tremendous difference in the comfort.

jaherbst
04-23-2020, 03:07 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. Might be less headache and less money to trade up to something that will safely carry the two of you plus luggage and bags. Just saying-----

Jack

3WRDR
08-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Totally agree with your assessment of having higher handlebars. I replaced mine with just about a 4-5 inch rise and it makes tremendous difference in the comfort. Could you please list the specific handlebars you used (model/source)? Thanks.

3WRDR
08-15-2020, 10:46 AM
176428 176429

PS. I am waiting for a Madstad windshield I ordered. Is gonna feel even better with a larger windshield. :ohyea: I didn't think it was possible to have passenger seat and driver backrest. Would you please tell us about how you have accomplished this? Thanks

Mikey
08-15-2020, 11:48 AM
This post was started 2018, if you poke around a little Chris has put a couple video's out of this ride he's built up!! He has done a great job of building a touring bike 0ut of a small machine!!:2thumbs: Good Job Chris!!

chris56
08-29-2020, 01:35 PM
This post was started 2018, if you poke around a little Chris has put a couple video's out of this ride he's built up!! He has done a great job of building a touring bike 0ut of a small machine!!:2thumbs: Good Job Chris!!

and she is really fast !! thats the roads here in the Alps, the Ryker is made for trips like that .. (13.000 miles now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozzUMUMw9i4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR35nbmFacbma1aNl7BoJ5HF6h1YK7Zd0k7_ue8Hb VOW2mRfav_cbdCAAh8

mmccall
10-29-2020, 03:06 AM
How did you attach the saddlebags? who makes the saddlebags? who makes the backrest? If you custom made the bracket you would mind sharing the how to steps? Where does the saddlebag mounts bolt on to? If you can share the link thanks.

Is that the new backrest from slingmods?