PDA

View Full Version : WW II History

Cavman
11-26-2018, 03:39 PM
https://www.wimp.com/rare-color-footage-of-d-day-narrated-by-a-cameraman-who-was-there/

ofdave
11-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Interesting there are no comments to this.
Looks like we are forgetting the past.
In this case, were it not for the success of the Allies, none of us would likely even be here to forget.

Joe T.
11-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Well, I'll comment.

The Greatest Generation. Man, do we owe them a lot. It is easy for us GEEZERS to realize that debt. But, the Millennials have no idea. They are not taught history in school any more. What a shame.

Remember, if you don't know your history, you are destined to repeat it - - - - - -

Joe T.

Bob Denman
11-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Well, I'll comment.

The Greatest Generation. Man, do we owe them a lot. It is easy for us GEEZERS to realize that debt. But, the Millennials have no idea. They are not taught history in school any more. What a shame.

Remember, if you don't know your history, you are destined to repeat it - - - - - -
Joe T.

Amen... :thumbup:

Lew L
11-29-2018, 12:43 PM
"Remember, if you don't know your history, you are destined to repeat it - - - - - -"

Both my parents contributed to the Greatest generations military effort, as did other family members.

I think it should read: Remember, if you don't know your history, you doomed to repeat it - - - - - -

JayBros
11-29-2018, 01:27 PM
The first video I saw at OCS was cut from some of what you see here. What we saw, in addition to some of the scenes in the link, was the waters edge at the landing beach, blood red from those who didn't or barely made it ashore. Casualties were so high FDR delayed release of news of the landing for fear of public outcry.
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ce-hreP-w"]

ARtraveler
11-29-2018, 02:05 PM
A good remembrance film. Am guessing they do not show this kind of thing in the history classes at school any more.

JerryB
11-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Hi Lew L,

Re: Remember, if you don't know your history, you doomed to repeat it - - - - - -

You're close; it actually is: Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_Santayana

Jerry Baumchen

JerryB
11-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Hi JayBros,

Re: Casualties were so high FDR delayed release of news of the landing for fear of public outcry.

Last year I visited Normandy for the first time. The US came ashore on Omaha Beach at low tide. Of all the beaches to use, Omaha was the largest. It was a terrible killing field.

Jerry Baumchen

Gordy
11-29-2018, 04:28 PM
I had three brothers in the Canadian army in WW11 my oldest brother went over in 1939 in the 1ST division never got home until late 1945

vindex1963
11-30-2018, 06:04 AM
My Dad was third wave Omaha beach red sector.

BajaRon
11-30-2018, 11:55 AM
The debt we owe these men and women can only be repaid one way. To make sure this nation continues to fulfill its purpose and passes down their values to the next generation. That is what they went for. That is what they fought for. That is what they died for. And that is why they had the will to win.

Cavman
12-02-2018, 12:00 AM
My Dad was stationed in Hawaii where he met and married my Mom. Her brother stood in the back yard on December 7th watching the Zeros fly over the house making their runs into Pearl Harbor.