PDA

View Full Version : BRP Saddle Bags

Firefly
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Not really a 'Step by Step', but here are some photos that should help clear up the poor BRP destructions.

A few things:

Make sure you are mounting the proper turn signal to the proper side. The pics should help.

You have pull on the turn signal wires while pushing them into the hole and then into the bar - you can only really fit one connector through at a time - kind of tricky - but pulling from the other end helps a ton - just had to pull a bit harder than I expected.

Hopefully the photos will help with the rest. PM me if you have any questions.

Firefly
06-09-2009, 06:28 PM
More pics

docdoru
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Nice instructions :thumbup:

NancysToy
06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Well illustrated! You win the instructions prize. :firstplace:
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Firefly
06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Some more pics....

bone crusher
06-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Fire,

You're a good guy....thank you for posting this...when I get around to getting the bags, I'll probably nag you to tell me where this thread is again...

Thanks in advance..:D

NautiBrit
06-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks, very much appreciated. Next step is the new seat which arrived last night.:shemademe_smilie:

Capt John
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I ordered my saddle bags last Friday, when I went to pick up my new comfort seat. These pics will definitely come in handy.

NautiBrit
06-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm not entirely sold on the turn signal relocators so I searched some previous posts and found that a member had installed shorter stem turn signals with the Givi setup. Would there be enough room behind the BRP bags to install a short stem turn signal, could you give me a dimension? Thanks.

2faston3
06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks, but too little too late.

I already installed my wife's bags and found out the hard way that the instructions left much to be desired.

I have installed the I7's on my Spyder and prefer the BRP's for ease of fitment. Although getting at the battery is just as tough with either set up.

Oh yeah, it took me 4 hrs to install...

2faston3

Some Guy
06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Well illustrated! You win the instructions prize. :firstplace:

Good job. Thank you! :D

glynnk
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Is the relocation of the turn signal lights the hard part of putting on the BRP hard bags? Does anyone make hardbags for the Spyder that doesn't require the relocation of the turn signals?

Glynn "Skeetshooter" K

Firefly
06-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't call the install 'hard' - but more of a PITA.

I'll take some measurements tomorrow and post them.

As far as I know there is no kit that doesn't move the turn signals.

Now, that being said - NMN has some new lights that replace the reflectors on the GIVI bags - so they could be used to replace the stock ones--- BUT - the BRP install requires those turn signal stems to mount the rack to. You could trim it off I suppose. - maybe make some kind of fitting for plugging the stock signals in where the racks mount when you are not using the racks and bags.

The Spyder looks so sharp with the bags on I have been leaving them on all the time for now.

NautiBrit
06-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the response. You can see that I haven't spent much time preparing for the install, but I had hoped that the relocators were stand alone pieces and served no other function.:gaah:

PE2817
06-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I have looked for them for sale online and can not find them. Can someone post a link. How much were they?

Firefly
06-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Many dealers have the whole BRP catalogue onlline.

I ordered mine from robsperformance.com

http://www.robsperformance.com/catalog_items.asp?pagenum=2&uTotalRecords=36&uLimitPartName=PASSENGER+ERGONOMIC+FOOTPEG+EXTENSI ONS&uLimitPartNumber=744226&cat=5616-61186&pagenation=next&imgview=

NancysToy
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Picked up the BRP bags yesterday. The dealer never called, despite regular remainders and a note on the file to do so as soon as the bags themselves came in. That's another story, though. Naturally, today the dealer calls to say the seat that was expected in July is in. Story of my life. Worst part about these 75 mile round trps to the dealer is that I have to take the truck for this bulky stuff, and can't ride.

Today I went out to do the install. I certainly appreciate Firefly's extra pictures and tips. I'm sure they saved me some time and grief. The install went quite smoothly up until the very end. More on that later. I did decide to replace the BRP supplied muffler grommet with a more substantial one, and to use a stainless locknut and fender washer on the muffler capscrew instead of their flanged nut. Too hard to torque a bolt with a rubber mount.

Now for the disappointment. After getting all the brackets installed, I mounted the right rack. Fit like a glove. I went to the left side, and it does not fit well at all. I can force it on there, using just the right sequence and a little pressure, but it still leaves an ugly gap at the rear bracket. Just laying against the mounting points, the mounting flanges are not parallel to the mounts. The brackets look right, are symmetrical, and are mounted correctly. It appears that the angle that the rack brackets are welded at are incorrect. The two racks do not match. I have not measured the lengths and angles yet to see exactly where the problem lies, but I really don't want to fix this thing myself. At very least it will probably mess up the powdercoating. At worst I would have to cut and weld, then recoat both racks and rear brackets to match. What a pain! I suspect it will take months to get a replacement from BRP, too, if they are even willing to replace it. As I said, very disappointed. What ever happened to quality control?

Some Guy
06-17-2009, 08:45 PM
:yikes: AH! I saw Firefly's bags at the Gilmore event and I was planning to get them! I thought the set up was very good. Could it be you got a "factory second"? (which would :cus:)

I'll keep watching the posts. :popcorn:

NancysToy
06-17-2009, 09:34 PM
:yikes: AH! I saw Firefly's bags at the Gilmore event and I was planning to get them! I thought the set up was very good. Could it be you got a "factory second"? (which would :cus:)

I'll keep watching the posts. :popcorn:
Hopefully this is an isolated incident. I seem to have the luck of the Irish...everything I touch turns to :cus:. Don't give up until a few more people report on the bags.

NancysToy
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Well, I was able to loosen and adjust the bolts and get the left rack to fit better. Not great, but tolerable, and it doesn't have to be leaned on to be mounted anymore. The racks definitely have some problems with their geometry. There is about five degrees difference between the angles of the rear mounting stubs from side to side. The rear support (taillight) brackets are at identical angles, so the problem lies with the racks themselves. I would not pass by these bags just because they take some fussing to install. They seem well worth it. Still, a little better quality control would have made life easier, and would have assured a professional looking installation. This is a substantial amount of money for a product which doesn't fit perfectly, or match side to side, and has gaps in the installation instructions.

I did have to notch the under fender panel a bit to clear the new front bracket on the right side. I marked it the width of the bracket and ground out maybe 3/16" deep. Otherwise the under fender panel will not fit. (paragraph added)

On the other hand, these things really look sharp! They are striking in yellow, and certainly don't detract from the Spyder's looks in the least. Very pleased! Nice to get the rainsuit and some other stuff out of the trunk, too. I am also very pleased with the turn signal brackets. The signals are much more visible in this elevated location, even without the bags. They look very normal, and a novice would be hard pressed to know they were not stock. On the other hand, the new bags block the view of the mudflap lights now...guess some of NoMagicNeon's new GIVI bag lights are in order. I will have to call Evan after he returns from LA to ask a few questions about my particular needs. Bag lights would really wake up the rear end of this beast, what with the center taillight and HyperLites already there. Can't be too visible.

All in all, we are quite pleased. I think this was a good purchase. Now to head back to the dealer to pick up the comfort seat, just to try it. We like the feel of the stock seat just fine, but thought we would try the other. If we don't like the comfort seat, we can always list it for sale. On the other hand, it may make a good thing even better.

Firefly
06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Well, I was able to loosen and adjust the bolts and get the left rack to fit better. Not great, but tolerable, and it doesn't have to be leaned on to be mounted anymore. The racks definitely have some problems with their geometry. There is about five degrees difference between the angles of the rear mounting stubs from side to side. The rear support (taillight) brackets are at identical angles, so the problem lies with the racks themselves. I would not pass by these bags just because they take some fussing to install. They seem well worth it. Still, a little better quality control would have made life easier, and would have assured a professional looking installation. This is a substantial amount of money for a product which doesn't fit perfectly, or match side to side, and has gaps in the installation instructions.

On the other hand, these things really look sharp! They are striking in yellow, and certainly don't detract from the Spyder's looks in the least. Very pleased! Nice to get the rainsuit and some other stuff out of the trunk, too. I am also very pleased with the turn signal brackets. The signals are much more visible in this elevated location, even without the bags. They look very normal, and a novice would be hard pressed to know they were not stock. On the other hand, the new bags block the view of the mudflap lights now...guess some of NoMagicNeon's new GIVI bag lights are in order. I will have to call Evan after he returns from LA to ask a few questions about my particular needs. Bag lights would really wake up the rear end of this beast, what with the center taillight and HyperLites already there. Can't be too visible.

All in all, we are quite pleased. I think this was a good purchase. Now to head back to the dealer to pick up the comfort seat, just to try it. We like the feel of the stock seat just fine, but thought we would try the other. If we don't like the comfort seat, we can always list it for sale. On the other hand, it may make a good thing even better.

Looking sharp Scotty - sorry you have run into yet another 'deformed' Spyder part.

One thing that I did - not sure if I mentioned it above - or if the instructions made it very clear - is to leave everything only 'snug' until you mount the actual rack and then tighten the rest of it down.

Let me know if you need to play 'musical racks' to see exactly where the problem is.

I held off on ordering the mudflap lights for the exact thought that they might be blocked somewhat by the bags.

Will be adding some lights onto the bags for sure!

docdoru
06-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Scotty, looking good and professional in any way! :2thumbs:

BRPjunkie
06-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't think you will get an argument from Givi owners regardless of whether they used I7, Givi or BRP racks; the bags look like they belong on the Spyder, especially when color matched. The disagreement is not with the cases, but the respective location of turn signals. While the quick detach feature of the BRP racks is nice, I have never had my Givi racks off since I put them on because the side cases are too convenient even for everyday riding as a place to stash helmets, coats, etc. I take that back; I had to racks off to install the seat skin. Someone posted that the BRP comfort seat seemed to take some room away from the passenger. While we are very happy with our seat skin, it will be interesting to hear from others on how the comfort seat splits the space between rider and passenger. If Momma's not happy, no one's happy which is why I'm leaving the BRP backrest in place.

NancysToy
06-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Looking sharp Scotty - sorry you have run into yet another 'deformed' Spyder part.

One thing that I did - not sure if I mentioned it above - or if the instructions made it very clear - is to leave everything only 'snug' until you mount the actual rack and then tighten the rest of it down.

Let me know if you need to play 'musical racks' to see exactly where the problem is.

I held off on ordering the mudflap lights for the exact thought that they might be blocked somewhat by the bags.

Will be adding some lights onto the bags for sure!
I will second the "leave things loose" instruction. I would add "barely loose", and you may need to do only the rear support brackets and the turn signal bracket bolts. Leave the racks in place as you tighten things down. Please realize that this greatly complicates tightening the fasteners for the brackets, after the Tupperware is back in place.

Thanks for the offer of musical racks, but this seems to fit well enough now that I won't chase it further. When I initailly could not get the third mounting point within two inches of where it needed to be, I was very worried. The 1/8" gap I had when finally mounted, did, too. Now the gap is barely visible and everything fits close enough. I highly recommend mounting the racks before the final tightening in the rear, but you may need a 13 mm ratcheting box wrench to do it.

Capt John
06-20-2009, 07:00 AM
I installed the saddle bags last night. Pics will follow. Install took about 4 hours. I ran into a problem when I went to re-install the wheel well panel. The holes would not line up. I spent about 35 minutes trying to get it to work. The panel was hitting the front right support bracket. I finally just notched out about 1 1/2" X 3/8" and everything fit back together.

BRP's instructions leave a lot to be desired. Approximately 1 hour of my time was making sure I had the right part for the correct side. The one thing I did was leave the turn signal support brackets loose until I had install the case brackets. Then I tightened the turn signals down. This worked out great.

Bersquack
06-20-2009, 08:01 AM
The holes would not line up. I spent about 35 minutes trying to get it to work. The panel was hitting the front right support bracket. I finally just notched out about 1 1/2" X 3/8" and everything fit back together.

I ran into the same problem. At first I thought I did something wrong, but ended up cutting a piece of it to make it fit.

A couple of days later, I took the panels out to wire the GPS to the battery and realized I probably could have pushed the panels more to align the holes and not have to cut a small part of it. What is done is done.

Firefly
06-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Hmmmm - strange. I didn't have any problem with the fit of the panels. Glad you found a workaround.

Motza
06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Fire,

You're a good guy....thank you for posting this...when I get around to getting the bags, I'll probably nag you to tell me where this thread is again...

Thanks in advance..:D
:agree:

oneway
07-04-2009, 07:48 PM
:2excited:Picked up parts thursday. Put windshield on that night and drove to work friday morning. Was not impressed with the turbulence from this windshield but after installing side deflectors am very impressed with the decrease in buffeting. Put my BRP bags on saturday and can't say enough about fit and finish of this product. Now I need floorboards, cruise control and radio. I will have this set up like my old gold wing in no time.:ohyea:

bwlinux
07-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Do the BRP bags use a different key or is it the same as the ignition key?

It would be nice to have one key for the bike and bags.

NancysToy
07-28-2009, 06:17 PM

Totally different (GIVI) key. Sorry.

Firefly
08-01-2009, 10:44 PM

The bags have their own key--- but one key fits both bags. Much smaller key that the Spyder key.

ICE
08-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted feedback on your saddle bag installation. I just took a 100 mile round trip to my dealer and brought a set of the Givi Bags. Guess what? NO Instructions! :gaah:welcomeDoes anyone have a copy in electronic form that they could send me. I've called my dealer for the instructions but I have a feeling they may take a while to send them to me.

thanks to all. Ice

Arachnid
10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I received my BRP bags today. No instructions but the dealer said he'd get them to me. Which is Okay as I have to wait for my Corbin smuggler trunk and seat to arrive and then I can start to install everything at once. I decided to go with the BRP bags not Corbins. Saved a grand and I think I will like the look. + I can remove the bags at will. The Smuggler trunk looks pretty good on there by its self. It will switch out with the passenger seat. I think I like this modular stuff.
Thanks Firefly & Scotty, in advance for the heads up on possible sticking points.
I will post pictures in a few weeks after all is finished.

Mike :D

NancysToy
10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I received my BRP bags today. No instructions but the dealer said he'd get them to me. Which is Okay as I have to wait for my Corbin smuggler trunk and seat to arrive and then I can start to install everything at once. I decided to go with the BRP bags not Corbins. Saved a grand and I think I will like the look. + I can remove the bags at will. The Smuggler trunk looks pretty good on there by its self. It will switch out with the passenger seat. I think I like this modular stuff.
Thanks Firefly & Scotty, in advance for the heads up on possible sticking points.
I will post pictures in a few weeks after all is finished.

If you didn't get the instructions, did you get the hardware. They normally come in the same bag. If you get stuck, PM me an email address and I can scan the instructions and parts list.

Arachnid
10-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Got all the hardware (I think) all bags are sealed. Looks like a pretty tricky install. But I have some pretty capable help.:dontknow::pray::lecturef_smilie::gaah::clap: :shocked::roflblack::ohyea::coffee:
I will let you know if the dealers instructions don't come.
Thanks,

Pocketrace
07-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Coming back on the installation..

I was wondering if anyone who installed their BRP Saddlebags could tell me what tools are needed to do the install. My dealer just received my bags and I was planning to install them directly at my dealer (in the parking lot) wich is 90 miles away from home. I don't want to drive there with my car.

Anyone ?

Thank you in advance...

Fell like I'll be swearing a lot in the near future..

Eric

NancysToy
07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Coming back on the installation..

I was wondering if anyone who installed their BRP Saddlebags could tell me what tools are needed to do the install. My dealer just received my bags and I was planning to install them directly at my dealer (in the parking lot) wich is 90 miles away from home. I don't want to drive there with my car.

Anyone ?

Thank you in advance...

Fell like I'll be swearing a lot in the near future..

Eric
I would not do it this way. It requires removing several body panels, so you will have lots of loose hardware. The instructions are also missing one step, so you will want access to this thread to see what you really need to do...plus there are some tips here. As to tools, I used what I needed with my toolbox handy, including a torque wrench. I am not sure exactly which tools, but I doubt the ones in your toolkit will do the job...at least not quickly and efficiently. You will also want a blanket or something soft to put removed panels on, and to put the color panels on the bags without scuffing them.

bjt
07-27-2010, 07:24 AM
I would not do it this way. It requires removing several body panels, so you will have lots of loose hardware. The instructions are also missing one step, so you will want access to this thread to see what you really need to do...plus there are some tips here. As to tools, I used what I needed with my toolbox handy, including a torque wrench. I am not sure exactly which tools, but I doubt the ones in your toolkit will do the job...at least not quickly and efficiently. You will also want a blanket or something soft to put removed panels on, and to put the color panels on the bags without scuffing them.

:agree: From reading some of the threads concerning owner installation of these brackets, I was thinking that trying to do the install in a parking lot would be a little too difficult.

Bersquack
07-27-2010, 07:40 AM
It took me most of an afternoon to install the bags and like others have said, the instructions are not clear.

Pocketrace
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Thank you for your resplies,

But I have a few reasons to this overthere...
Also my dealer told me I could use their garages so I' ll be inside in a controlled environment ..

This week I will 1st take the whole rear apart to know what I'm getting into, then I'll see...

If anybody else has a list of tools needed, feel free to respond....:yikes:

Eric R
Laval, Qc, Canada

Firefly
07-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I would say this install will take a good 4 hours for a first-timer. Instructions are poor and you will curse. You would really want to be near a computer to look at the various install pics.

I can't remember all the sizes off hand-- but you'll need multiple open-end and socket wrenches of the same size (two 13 mm and two 10 mm I think).

An extra set of hands is handy too.

I'd pick them up in a car and do it at home.... or have the dealer just ship them to you--- probably cost less than the gas will for 180 miles round trip.

Roy's Bassets
07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
I had the same set that you show, the problem with them is you will not be able to take the side panels off unless you remove the blinker light relocaters. I sold mine and replaced them with the PLX999. Still has a place to mount the blinkers if you want, but you can still take the side panels off with out removing the hole set up. I also used the magic mans leds and removed the stock blinkers, a much better set up. Plus your dealer will charge you an extra 1.5 hrs if he has two get in there. I know.:lecturef_smilie:

Firefly
07-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I had the same set that you show, the problem with them is you will not be able to take the side panels off unless you remove the blinker light relocaters. I sold mine and replaced them with the PLX999. Still has a place to mount the blinkers if you want, but you can still take the side panels off with out removing the hole set up. I also used the magic mans leds and removed the stock blinkers, a much better set up. Plus your dealer will charge you an extra 1.5 hrs if he has two get in there. I know.:lecturef_smilie:

It's pretty rare that you need to remove those panels... and it's not that hard--- just takes an extra 10-15 minutes.

The thing I love about the BRP setup is the quick-release racks---

Pocketrace
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Ok Ok..

I call it quits.. I will arranged to take them home by car... You win..:gaah:

LOL

I sold mine and replaced them with the PLX999. Still has a place to mount the blinkers if you want, but you can still take the side panels off with out removing the hole set up. I also used the magic mans leds and removed the stock blinkers, a much better set up. :lecturef_smilie:

What are the PLX999 and what are Magic Mans Leds ? Any pictures ?

Thank you

Eric R

bjt
07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
What are the PLX999...

Industries 7 Inc. Givi rack system for the Spyder.

http://www.industries7.com/pages/Spy360.jsp

Pocketrace
08-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Thank you for the link...

I started installing the racks today.. Wow like you all said.. The instructions are BAD !!! I had them in French and English, I'm fully bilingual and DARN I couln't follow any of the two properly..:helpsmilie:

Luckily I didn't start that away from home.. Once again thank you for the warning...;)

Now I made a Boo-Boo... It's probably something that was already wrong with the right rear peg but once I started tightening it I felt the threads giving away... Darn !! Now I don't feel like taking the whole rear peg assembly off and re-tapping it...:helpsmilie:

But I guess I have no other choice... Anybody has another idea ?
I feel like filling it with epoxy but if I ever need to take the peg off or the whole rack I will be in trouble...:helpsmilie:

I need help... I really didn't tightened it too hard.. The threads just gave away.. :helpsmilie:

Please help !!! :gaah: Any idea.. ??

Eric R

http://emax72.com/images/rrf.jpg

NancysToy
08-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Now I made a Boo-Boo... It's probably something that was already wrong with the right rear peg but once I started tightening it I felt the threads giving away... Darn !! Now I don't feel like taking the whole rear peg assembly off and re-tapping it...:helpsmilie:

But I guess I have no other choice... Anybody has another idea ?
I feel like filling it with epoxy but if I ever need to take the peg off or the whole rack I will be in trouble...:helpsmilie:

I need help... I really didn't tightened it too hard.. The threads just gave away.. :helpsmilie:
Please help !!! :gaah: Any idea.. ??
If the threads failed on the bolt, it can simply be replaced. If they failed in the frame or bracket, there would be two choices. Easiest, if there is room, would be to use a longer bolt and back it with a nut, preferably a locknut. The other choice would be to drill the hole larger, tap it, and use the next size bolt. From the pictures, this is not a place a thread insert would work.

Pocketrace
08-03-2010, 07:46 AM
If the threads failed on the bolt, it can simply be replaced. If they failed in the frame or bracket, there would be two choices. Easiest, if there is room, would be to use a longer bolt and back it with a nut, preferably a locknut. The other choice would be to drill the hole larger, tap it, and use the next size bolt. From the pictures, this is not a place a thread insert would work.

I wish it was the threads of the bolt... That would of been a no brainer.. :(:gaah:

But it's the threads from the pegs that are gone...:yikes:

Does anybody know if the pegs are in aluminum or magnesium ? I might have a friend weld the hole and retap it. Lots of work ahead...:helpsmilie:

Eric R

NancysToy
08-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I wish it was the threads of the bolt... That would of been a no brainer.. :(:gaah:

But it's the threads from the pegs that are gone...:yikes:

Does anybody know if the pegs are in aluminum or magnesium ? I might have a friend weld the hole and retap it. Lots of work ahead...:helpsmilie:

Eric R
I would expect aluminum or pot metal, magnesium is too expensive and corrodes readily. If you can get it off, or get at it good enough, you could drill and insert a Heli-Coil.

bjt
08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I would expect aluminum or pot metal, magnesium is too expensive and corrodes readily. If you can get it off, or get at it good enough, you could drill and insert a Heli-Coil.

I'd second the Heli-coil solution. They work good. We put them in all four threaded holes of the windshield mount.

Pocketrace
08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I went to a friend of mine who rebuilts engine and he said he was going install an heli-coil.. But then he didn't have the right size in stock, so he tapped the hole to a bigger size thread, end of that story...

I just can't believe how bad are the instructions from BRP... Anyway I'm all happy, my wife and I will be able to use the Spyder tonight.. Woohoo after 3 long days...

Thank you all for your responses...

Eric R

:yes:

ArmyJoe
09-02-2010, 09:01 PM
For future reference, don't remove the front bolts on the rear passenger peg. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=386&pictureid=11909

Took me about 3 hours. Thanks for the pics.

groundeffect
10-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Wanted to bump this thread and pass along a thanks to firefly for posting photos and tips of this installation.

One of the locking receptacles on my setup (the one inside the left signal light re-location bracket) failed and the metal easily bent-in in that area. This left the bag on that side useless, as it would not hold or mount in place. A LONG story short, since this part (708 300 256 - is not resalable) is not available through BRP, or anywhere for that matter, I had that part built-up with metal by a local welding shop. They also commented on the metal in that area and said it failed because it was thin. The weld job seemed to have worked (250km on the bags now, with load, over the occasional bumpy road). So far so good. :thumbup:

So, firefly, thanks for the helpful tips on the BRP R35 Ridged Saddle bag installation!!

Expect for that failed mounting point, I an enjoying the bags very much and how have much more capacity for my daily tasks and resource runs. The look of the bags is fantastic, I think, and does nothing but add to the look of the Spyder, rather then take anything away.

More importantly for me the carry a good bit of gear. A great feature I enjoy about is they are VERY QUICK to disconnect, as mentioned in other posts. 20 seconds and both bags are off. 2 minutes are both bags and racks are off, providing that sleek stock look of the Spyder.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=12494
Cheers!:thumbup:

Baytown
11-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks Firefly, I'm wading through the pathetic fitting instructions and poor quality control (can’t remove left indicator due to lock nut spinning the shaft).
As highlighted, part 12 and 13 (front mounting brackets) I had no idea how they went on, or where. I just went back outside and got it sorted after almost another hour! I'm concerned about the inner bolt hole at the left foort rest bracket, as it feels like it's stripping as per the previous fellas post. I'll look back into it tomorrow. I really appreciate the effort you took to post this thread mate.
Best wishes from Australia.
Ken

Baytown
11-20-2010, 03:55 AM
If you have the BRP Sport Rack already installed, then the cable which releases the top plate passes through a frame bracket on the left rear of the machine.
The bracket for the Left Rear Support (part #P8) can't be bolted up properly due to the cable running through the mounting hole. You will only be able to use the outside bolt, instead of two mounting bolts. I'm not pulling the whole assembly apart again to re rout the cable, that's for sure!

Also for any Aussies, Kiwis etc, the over sized indicators we have are contacting the top of my bags while it's all trial fitted, so I reckon it would be the same for all AU spec machines. It doesn't seem to be an adjustment issue with the frame mounting points etc.

Ken

Littlebadwolf
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Just curious..how much time does BRP allocate for dealer labor to install thier bags?

musicarcade
03-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Dealer installed mine about a year ago and if I remember correctly it was between 3-4 hours. I think he was originally going to charge me four but took it down to 3.5.

challman
04-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I am getting ready to install the sportrack. I am just trying to make sure I know what I am doing. I Bought my bike with the r-35 bags on it.
I know the rack installation calls for taking the plastic cover off the back end.

Problem is the turn signal relocation thing goes Through the cover. How do I take it off so I can get the cover off?

after looking at your pictures closely I think I have the answer... So I am just checking.

It looks like after I remove the fender (bottom cover) I will find that there are 2 bolts per relocater which must be removed, then unplug the connector and slide out...

Right?

Also anyone know of a good doc on the installation of the sport rack?

Anyone know of a good top case which will mount to the sport rack easily and has a backrest?

Roger
04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I am getting ready to install the sportrack. I am just trying to make sure I know what I am doing. I Bought my bike with the r-35 bags on it.
I know the rack installation calls for taking the plastic cover off the back end.

Problem is the turn signal relocation thing goes Through the cover. How do I take it off so I can get the cover off?

after looking at your pictures closely I think I have the answer... So I am just checking.

It looks like after I remove the fender (bottom cover) I will find that there are 2 bolts per relocater which must be removed, then unplug the connector and slide out...

Right?

Also anyone know of a good doc on the installation of the sport rack?

Anyone know of a good top case which will mount to the sport rack easily and has a backrest?

Yes you are correct about the 2 bolts as far as a document for the install of the sportrack did you try a search? Fyi Thats why i switched to the givi racks so i don't have to mess with those 2 bolts everytime i need to work behind there.

challman
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes you are correct about the 2 bolts as far as a document for the install of the sportrack did you try a search? Fyi Thats why i switched to the givi racks so i don't have to mess with those 2 bolts everytime i need to work behind there.

thanks for the info

Ga Blue Knight
07-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Just curious..how much time does BRP allocate for dealer labor to install thier bags?

Charged me for 2 1/2 hours as an estimate since mine was their first install ( I have as much mechanical ability as a geriatric Manatee) and it took about 3 1/2 in reality. Only charged me for the 2 1/2. He's a pretty ethical dealer. BUT, I also have the "Twisted left side turn signal bad weld issue":gaah:

Fortunately I don't suffer from obsessive compulsion disorder so I will be perfectly happy with asymmetrical turn signals!:sour: of course anyone following me will go nuts looking at them!!:roflblack:

Weave2u
07-31-2011, 08:26 PM
I installed mine about a month after I got my Spyder, and it took about 3.5 hours. No issues to report. They may have updated the instructions since this thread was started, I don't know, but for someone with very little mechanical ability, and unfamiliar with the product, I had no major issues. I do like the "European" styling over the corbin design and the convenience of being able to remove them and the bracket. They are over priced in my view, but so are most BRP addons.

34fun
08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
After see-ing the pics on here i am going to order some, but i was wondering how much of a mess the brackets look if say you did not want to have the bags installed all of the time. Does any one have a pic. Thanks for any help.

Also i am thinking of replacing my hindle with twin two brothers pipes, is there enough room under the right side for twins . Thanks for your help.

NancysToy
08-03-2011, 04:27 PM
After see-ing the pics on here i am going to order some, but i was wondering how much of a mess the brackets look if say you did not want to have the bags installed all of the time. Does any one have a pic. Thanks for any help.

Also i am thinking of replacing my hindle with twin two brothers pipes, is there enough room under the right side for twins . Thanks for your help.
Sorry, I never thought to take a picture with the racks removed. All that is left when they are off is the turn signal extension stalks. They really don't look bad at all.

34fun
08-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, what I'm tying to say is if i left the bags off my bike till i needed them am i looking at this and if so how easy is it to remove the bracket also when not using the bags ? Thanks 29532

teadave
08-03-2011, 09:24 PM
after the bags are off, the racks come off in 15 seconds a side.

34fun
08-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks Dave

Andrea#2
08-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Does the Rear turn signal extension come with bags? Can't find them listed anywhere.
Y

Not really a 'Step by Step', but here are some photos that should help clear up the poor BRP destructions.

A few things:

Make sure you are mounting the proper turn signal to the proper side. The pics should help.

You have pull on the turn signal wires while pushing them into the hole and then into the bar - you can only really fit one connector through at a time - kind of tricky - but pulling from the other end helps a ton - just had to pull a bit harder than I expected.

Hopefully the photos will help with the rest. PM me if you have any questions.

Andrea#2
09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Does the Rear turn signal extension come with bags? Can't find them listed anywhere.
Y
Never mind--installed the bags today in about 3-1/2 hours, turn signals relocated.

dguisinger
09-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Ok, I'm stuck trying to install these on a 2012 RS.

I've got all the hardware installed except the turn signal bracket on the left hand side (behind the battery). The one on the right side, went on easily. The problem with the left side is there is a nut welded onto the front of the frame where the bracket is supposed to go....

I can't be the only one with a nut welded on at the factory, wtf, no one elses pictures have showed this. What am I supposed to do?? :mad:

dguisinger
09-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Ok, I'm stuck trying to install these on a 2012 RS.

I've got all the hardware installed except the turn signal bracket on the left hand side (behind the battery). The one on the right side, went on easily. The problem with the left side is there is a nut welded onto the front of the frame where the bracket is supposed to go....

I can't be the only one with a nut welded on at the factory, wtf, no one elses pictures have showed this. What am I supposed to do?? :mad:

I ended up installing it on the inside of the front part of the frame, inside the channel. Everything appears to look good *whew*
It was much harder to fit the tools in, it was already a tight fit.
The bolts included with the kit wouldn't fit, however the throw-away bolts from the passenger foot pegs fit perfectly inside there.
All the panels are back on the Spyder, tomorrow I will put the racks on and tighten everything up...

What a pain dealing with the unexpected!

NancysToy
09-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Thanks for letting folks know about this new wrinkle. I wonder if the kits have been changed to accomodate this nut, or if yours is an anomaly?

dguisinger
09-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks for letting folks know about this new wrinkle. I wonder if the kits have been changed to accomodate this nut, or if yours is an anomaly?

You would think its standard on the 2012... the nut was definitely welded on before they painted the frame... kind of weird.

Alright, new sticking point. So I followed everyone's suggestion of putting the mono-frames on before tightening things down. The alignment seems fine, everything goes on easily. nothing seems to giggle when i tug on it. I tighten the mono-frames as far as the 3 fast connect fasteners will go.... yet going down the road, I've repeatedly had two fasteners on one of the racks pop out when I hit a bump, leaving only the turn signal securing the case. At first I thought maybe I didn't tighten the fasteners enough, but when it happened a second time I became worried.

Any ideas what might be going on here? :banghead:

dguisinger
09-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Never mind, the lesson learned is triple check my work :)

A warning to anyone installing these, when you are doing your adjustments with the mono-frames installed, it feels very sturdy because of the 3 points of contact.

When I went back and checked, the lower brackets were all fine because they were connected into the foot pegs. However when I pushed my finger through the grill on the battery side, the bracket behind the panel just pushed away. I cranked down on the two bolts, finding I had never tightened that side. Now it doesn't move when I press it, and a test drive didn't have a mid-ride disconnect.

Thankfully it didn't take a $700 broken piece on the side of the road for me to realize my mistake :)

cheeseyrider
07-03-2015, 01:34 PM
I just mounted the BRP kit on my 08 GS. I'm really concerned about the upper left post. It is less than 1/4 inch away from, and directly in front of the positive battery post.

For extra safety, I cut a piece of rubber matting and wedged it in place between the battery and the mount.

Has anybody has problems with the battery hitting the post?

Firefly
03-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Somehow after 9 years (can't believe it's been that long) the photos disappeared from this thread. Was asked to find them by someone working on this install... so I've added them back to the thread.. but they might not be in any particular order, etc....

Deer Slayer
03-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Somehow after 9 years (can't believe it's been that long) the photos disappeared from this thread. Was asked to find them by someone working on this install... so I've added them back to the thread.. but they might not be in any particular order, etc....
Thanks, I did not know of this info a year ago. I got mine on. You have done a great job on this info.

ARtraveler
03-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Here are pictures of the 2008 and 2009 :spyder2::ani29:'s with the BRP saddle bags installed. We bought the color matched side panels. I had the dealer install mine.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20862&d=1266976224 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=655&attachmentid=20859)

DoctahDIVAH
05-22-2021, 04:29 PM
Firely et. al. I am resurrecting this thread. My husband and I bought a used set of the BRP saddlebags with the frame to install on our 2012 RS-S. We got them from motorcycledave through this forum. We have no instruction sheet and evidently we are missing some bolts, screws, etc... Can you please share a copy of the mounting instructions? We need to figure out what we need to buy hardware wise to complete the installation. TIA