PDA

View Full Version : Cat delete, is it worth the money

Ramrover
11-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Just bought a new 2018 rtl and installed a RLS muffler, sounds much better, but is it worth the money to install a cat delete and will it actually increase the performance of the bike.

Thanks for any info,

Jarred
11-11-2018, 10:29 AM
I’m curious about this as well. I’ve been considering adding that over the winter. I believe one of my friends has it, his RT sounds better than mine, not sure if he did cat delete or just different pipes. Curious to hear what others say about increased performance or not.

Dennis in Lodi
11-11-2018, 12:14 PM
I have 10,000 miles of pipe configuration TRACK TIMED testing before and after an ECU flash. If you have a stock ECU and bike, putting on a cat delete causes measurable power loss on the low end. I'm talking loosing four bike lengths going from 0 to 60 mph. The best test pipes were Akrapovic, Two Brothers or any pipe that at least offers some back pressure tuning. A stock bike against a Two Brothers with an added baffle pulls about two bike lengths. However, The Two Brothers and Akra have a slight roll on advantage in the 4,000 to 6,300 rpm range which is usable street riding power.
Hyperone and I have dialed in a pipe configurations to work with the ECU flash. I have the Monster Fuel ECU flash, RLS cat delete, Spyder One open exhaust and a total of THREE specific in-line Baffles. My 2016 F3L is an absolute Hot Rod and lays rubber through the first two gears. Roll on power in any gear is great with little or no down shifting. My bike is quiet down low and snorts pretty good when on the pipe
If all you are looking for is a better sound leave the delete in place and get an Akrapovic pipe and you should have some improved roll on in the mid range.
If you want 25% more power EVERYWHERE, get the ECU flash. It works great with the stock exhaust system. If you want a great sound with performance pm either me or Hyperone for a pipe configuration set up. Dennis

k
Just bought a new 2018 rtl and installed a RLS muffler, sounds much better, but is it worth the money to install a cat delete and will it actually increase the performance

Thanks for any info,

GOZFST
11-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Ask if any of the cat delete manufacturers provide dyno run info. Louder, sure, lighter sure, less heat, probably, more performance, doubtful.

Jarred
11-11-2018, 12:24 PM
ECU Flash seems like the best option. I need to lose some weight anyway, so I?ll just lose 15lbs and have ECU Flash done. This way I?m healthier, Spyder will perform better and I?ll have same advantage of Cat Delete! Lol.
It does sound cool, but I?m ok w the quiet pipes.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!
Jarred.

2dogs
11-11-2018, 12:26 PM
The cat delete is likely more beneficial for the ear than it is or the butt dino. I think the producer benefits more than the buyer. An ECM flash may be a better investment in both the short term and long term and for the pocketbook.

tibadoe
11-11-2018, 05:28 PM
I have the cat delete pipe by RLS on my list. It has some sort of a resonator can inline and suppose to produce a lower deeper tone. I wouldn't expect more power, but a bit better tone. If I don't like it, can always reinstall the OEM cat. Time will tell.

2dogs
11-11-2018, 08:50 PM
I have the cat delete pipe by RLS on my list. It has some sort of a resonator can inline and suppose to produce a lower deeper tone. I wouldn't expect more power, but a bit better tone. If I don't like it, can always reinstall the OEM cat. Time will tell.

That's what I have Joe. Cat delete pipe with resonator (baffle) in-line. It will allow you to retain your low end toque. Good choice and sounds good too.

tibadoe
11-11-2018, 09:02 PM
That's what I have Joe. Cat delete pipe with resonator (baffle) in-line. It will allow you to retain your low end toque. Good choice and sounds good too.

Thanks for the input. Just what I wanted to hear!

2dogs
11-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Now save your bucks for an ECU flash. LOL

Dennis in Lodi
11-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Both Hyperone and I run the RLS cat delete. The RLS DOES NOT RETAIN LOW END TORQUE. I had to add two additional Big City Thunder Baffles to my RLS cat delete.
https://www.bigcitythunder.com/product-category/qq-thunder-monster-baffles/ The resonator is in an outer shell. It is a straight pipe through that center resonator and how it is designed and packed tight makes me question how any exhaust gasses get into it. It is a good starting point for sound but still needs help if you have a free flow open exhaust. I did not conduct any timed test runs with the RLS and a stock exhaust. But, ALL OTHER TIMED TEST RUNS SUFFERED WITH FREE FLOW CAT DELETES. Some side by side test runs would loose up to four bike lengths in 0 to 60 mph testing.

PaladinLV
11-12-2018, 12:11 AM
When I installed my CAT delete for my 2014RT, the main purpose was to reduce weight and to drastically reduce the heat generation on an already hot trike.
I did both admirably!

AJ

Just bought a new 2018 rtl and installed a RLS muffler, sounds much better, but is it worth the money to install a cat delete and will it actually increase the performance of the bike.

Thanks for any info,

Dennis in Lodi
11-12-2018, 09:07 AM
When I installed my CAT delete for my 2014RT, the main purpose was to reduce weight and to drastically reduce the heat generation on an already hot trike.
I did both admirably!

AJ

A cat delete is a perfect solution to reduce heat and weight. On my RT, items in the glove box use to ROAST when I parked the bike. That really changed with the delete pipe. My F3L is more open underneath and there isn't a glove box above the cat. The RLS delete and my exhaust pipe are bright stainless steel and looks sharp underneath, so I'm really happy with the looks.
The power loss down low isn't noticeable for average driving. it's really obvious for a full throttle start as it chokes for a second and for me it didn't spin the rear wheel. I got the RLS delete well after my testing and was excited as I hoped it would perform right out of the box. After I got a few miles on it I went to the test track and was really bummed that it was no better than other deletes I tested.
But after sharing date with Hyperone I came up with a two Big City Thunder Baffle combination that took my total performance to a whole new level.
I now have my cake and get to eat it as well.
Dennis
https://www.bigcitythunder.com/product-category/qq-thunder-monster-baffles/
here is the product and are super easy to install. Based on the inside diameter of your delete it will be either a QBL1625 or a QQ1750 The front baffle installs with the cone toward the exhaust and the rear baffle with the cone towards the motor.

PMK
11-12-2018, 12:37 PM
I did both admirably!

AJ

Agree, primary goal was heat reduction in slow traffic diring the summer. The reduced weight was good too.

For whatever reason, our RTS has bark at the exhaust note that others with the same bypass do not have. Maybe it is from always running high grade fuel, or possibly mods I did to the intake airflow.

I gave up trying to make a vehicle with 1100 pound empty weight and 115hp into anything more than a fun machine. A racer it is not.

I was hot for the remaps a while back, then came to my senses. Yes, it is a bargain cost wise to gain 25hp, but the power to weight numbers are just not there.

Also, with so little weight bias on the rear tire, even ours can spin the Yokohama s.Drive rear tire. Not a smoking burnout, but it still can make it happen until traction control gets involved.

These days and even before the one time I wish the bike had more is passing big vehicles on the highway where you are cruising at 75 and passing a bus, rv, or semi truck doing a few mph slower than you. That wall of air kind of stalls the Spyder until it punches through. Nowadays, I simply plan ahead, grab a handful and bladt through, then resume where cruise was set at.

The best part though is the upshift bang and decell burble and pops. That bang is the moment you think am I driving a paddle shift supercar. Whaaaa, Bang!, Whaaaa, Bang!

ARtraveler
11-12-2018, 03:08 PM
:thumbup:

308gunner
11-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Both Hyperone and I run the RLS cat delete. The RLS DOES NOT RETAIN LOW END TORQUE. I had to add two additional Big City Thunder Baffles to my RLS cat delete.
https://www.bigcitythunder.com/product-category/qq-thunder-monster-baffles/ The resonator is in an outer shell. It is a straight pipe through that center resonator and how it is designed and packed tight makes me question how any exhaust gasses get into it. It is a good starting point for sound but still needs help if you have a free flow open exhaust. I did not conduct any timed test runs with the RLS and a stock exhaust. But, ALL OTHER TIMED TEST RUNS SUFFERED WITH FREE FLOW CAT DELETES. Some side by side test runs would loose up to four bike lengths in 0 to 60 mph testing.

hey dennis...I talked to rick at RLS Exhaust and he said that he offers a baffle for the front of his cat bypass..I told him that I want a baffle on BOTH the front and rear of his cat delete pipe like you discribed...he said he had no problem installing a second baffle for the back. Im hoping his baffles are as good as the thunder ones you discribed in your post...i want to know your opinion on this...I also have a stage I ECU remap on mine as well.

jlc41
11-16-2018, 09:45 AM
Baffles look like well points??

tehrlich
11-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Just my own riding observations, but adding the Big City baffle to the straight cat delete really helps with the torque than without the baffle. It also sounds better to me. I never thought about adding two.

I originally added it to the cat delete when I first bought it because I didn't like the cat delete sound with the stock exhaust. After adding the BCT baffle, it was a lot better.

I bought the RLS delete and compared it to the cat delete / BCT baffle combo with the stock exhaust. I like it a lot more. It sounds better, to me. It isn't quite as loud and seems deeper sound. I'm guessing that it may have more back flow pressure than the straight cat delete and one BCT baffle. I imagine with two BCT baffles, it would be better.

308gunner
11-19-2018, 04:30 PM
I ordered my polished RLS cat bypass today. I spoke to Rick at RLS and hes going to WELD in TWO additional honeycomb baffles..one for the input and one for the output...so it will be a three level system. Baffle(1)...Resonator(2)...Baffle(3). I also wrote in the request so theres no mistakes...and... they are also on sale so I saved 60 bucks.

tehrlich
11-19-2018, 06:55 PM
I ordered my polished RLS cat bypass today. I spoke to Rick at RLS and hes going to WELD in TWO honeycomb baffles..one for the input and one for the output. I also wrote in the request so theres no mistakes...and... they are also on sale so I saved 60 bucks.

Cool. He will do a great job. His cat bypass fits perfectly.

308gunner
11-29-2018, 08:21 PM
I got my RLS cat bypass today...and he welded in the additional baffles on the input and output of the pipe that I requested...I'll install it in tommorow or Saturday.

SpdrDvr
11-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Trying to take in what everyone is saying on this thread. I'm very interested in more power from my 2018 F3L. I don't have an ECU upgrade (yet?) but Lamonster installed a LG 1330 pipe removing the cat. I was/am naive about what I wanted from my new Spyder when I bought it so I guess I'm working backwards now. Sucks to be me!? So I need some help here. 1) If I go the ECU route does it affect the warranty? 2) Can I put baffles in this pipe or would any of you suggest or do something else? 3) Should I go the ECU route AND baffles? I've owned a few new vehicles over the years and never got around to customizing any of them ..... I am doing whatever I can on this Spyder! Ain't gettin any younger!!

Thanks to all in advance for sharing....

Wildrice
11-29-2018, 10:35 PM

Thanks for any info,

I tried the Cat delete on my 2015 F3's. It lost low end power. I installed 2 baffles--still lacked off the line power plus was loud. I reinstalled the Cat, I have the Akprovac chrome straight shot muffler. I did the ECU stage one mod from Canada--it definitely improved 3000--8100. I am going for the stage 2 ECU & air box upgrade from Canada this month. Traffic has really increased here over the years but I did have an opportunity to hit 118 mph speedo & still climbing until traffic got in the way. this 118 mph was with tall windshield & saddlebags, passenger back rest on the Stage 1 ECU upgrade. After 3 Hayabusa's with engine mods, one with Nitrous, & the last with turbo putting out 344 rwhp-212# torque I promised myself I won't modify the engine on this f3's spyder. Evidently I have a short attention span :-(
Darrell

PMK
11-30-2018, 07:21 AM
Just my own riding observations, but adding the Big City baffle to the straight cat delete really helps with the torque than without the baffle. It also sounds better to me. I never thought about adding two.

I originally added it to the cat delete when I first bought it because I didn't like the cat delete sound with the stock exhaust. After adding the BCT baffle, it was a lot better.

I bought the RLS delete and compared it to the cat delete / BCT baffle combo with the stock exhaust. I like it a lot more. It sounds better, to me. It isn't quite as loud and seems deeper sound. I'm guessing that it may have more back flow pressure than the straight cat delete and one BCT baffle. I imagine with two BCT baffles, it would be better.

From what was posted previously on his website, essentially, the resonated pipe is still a cat bypass with no added restriction unless asked for. Merely it is a glass pack type muffler welded inplace of a straight pipe section. So yes, it will reduce or eliminate certain tones, and should help provide a lower exhaust note.

None the less, the Spyder 1330 engine remains a short stroke triple, compared to the rumble some are trying to emulate similar to the long stroke V Twin of a Harley.

308gunner
11-30-2018, 11:25 AM
From what was posted previously on his website, essentially, the resonated pipe is still a cat bypass with no added restriction unless asked for. Merely it is a glass pack type muffler welded inplace of a straight pipe section. So yes, it will reduce or eliminate certain tones, and should help provide a lower exhaust note.

None the less, the Spyder 1330 engine remains a short stroke triple, compared to the rumble some are trying to emulate similar to the long stroke V Twin of a Harley.

I agree with you....instead of trying to make it sound like a harley.. make it sound like a hayabusa..which is better.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-30-2018, 04:10 PM
CAT delete, my two cents - I have one on my 14 RT with a baffle …. IMHO, if the Monster ECU flash had been available that is the route I would have gone.... I don't think the weight savings is worth it (20 lbs. +/-) on a 1150 lb Spyder (plus 175 rider weight) - 20 lbs. isn't going to noticeably change anything. My RT was never in danger of over-heating so that wasn't an issue. I got mine used from another member ($ 150.00). Yes, the sound changed a bit, but not much (I'm happy I like my Tunes :yes: ) For the price of the ECU change, to me it's a no-brainer.... the Bang for the Buck is huge. ……………….. Mike :thumbup:

Sweetwater
12-04-2018, 08:56 AM
I resolved the resonator issue by welding the smallest flowmaster muffler into the cat delete pipe. It is a baffled muffler and I got all my bottom end back. its the small muffler with one end offset. welded right in and was able to use the stock ends.

guzzihack
12-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Did you take any pictures and what was the part # on the Flowmaster?

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Did you take any pictures and what was the part # on the Flowmaster?

look here - SUMMITRACING.COM …………. they sell flowmasters and have pics and specs ………… Mike :thumbup:

Davewho
12-22-2018, 10:00 PM
I just installed the rls cat delete system. Without any actual reading to show anyone. I didn't notice any notiable difference in low end performance. This is with just out of the box with no baffles installed. Exhaust has a little rumble with stock exhaust muffler at idle. I did notice the engine running cooler but then again its 30 to 50 degree depending on the time of day. The carpartment in front of the driver seat barely gets warm at all. Removing and then istalling the springs is not something I would want to everyday, but it wasn't that bad either. Install the cat delete let the thing idle for about 15 to 20 mins shut it off and restart and the computer will adjust for the change. After reading all the other comments I wasn't sure about doing this but now I'm sure glad I did it.

308gunner
12-23-2018, 12:12 AM
Davewho...When you say you didn't notice any change...that's actually a good thing...that tells us that you're running close to factory stock..which is very important..you chose RLS....good choice!!!!
If you haven't done so already..do a stage II RE-MAP...you will see what your spyder 1330 can truly do..there's a lot of untapped horsepower in that engine..

Dennis in Lodi
12-23-2018, 10:57 AM
I just installed the rls cat delete system. Without any actual reading to show anyone. I didn't notice any notiable difference in low end performance. This is with just out of the box with no baffles installed. Exhaust has a little rumble with stock exhaust muffler at idle. I did notice the engine running cooler but then again its 30 to 50 degree depending on the time of day. The carpartment in front of the driver seat barely gets warm at all. Removing and then istalling the springs is not something I would want to everyday, but it wasn't that bad either. Install the cat delete let the thing idle for about 15 to 20 mins shut it off and restart and the computer will adjust for the change. After reading all the other comments I wasn't sure about doing this but now I'm sure glad I did it.

Anyone who wants a simple test to feel if your Spyder is suffering down low from a Cat delete is this.
From a slightly slow rolling speed hold the throttle FULLY open. Usually there will be a bogging or hesitation until about 4,200 rpm.
Stock our Spyders are very good through this rpm range. The riders reporting this hesitation or bogging feel are the more aggressive riders who use more throttle to get their Spyder moving.
The hesitation is not a big deal for most riders as they adjust their throttle usage to it.

308gunner
12-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Anyone who wants a simple test to feel if your Spyder is suffering down low from a Cat delete is this.
From a slightly slow rolling speed hold the throttle FULLY open. Usually there will be a bogging or hesitation until about 4,200 rpm.
Stock our Spyders are very good through this rpm range. The riders reporting this hesitation or bogging feel are the more aggressive riders who use more throttle to get their Spyder moving.
The hesitation is not a big deal for most riders as they adjust their throttle usage to it.

With the remap..the bogging is pretty well eliminated because you're getting a 100% throttle and not 70% which is stock.

Wildrice
01-07-2019, 06:52 PM
The above from "Dennis in Lodi" is a very accurate evaluation of the cat delete. I took my cat delete back off & reinstalled the cat muffler the F3 came with. I had tried 2 baffles using the cat delete with less than adequate results. The Spyder needs the back pressure on low end & very few riders run on top end for any distance.
Darrell

PMK
01-08-2019, 07:03 AM

Dennis, can we have you more clearly or simply clarify with added details.

As I read your post / test, essentially you are accomplishing a throttle roll on test for accelleration.

You indicated from a slow rolling speed, open and hold the throttle wide open.

Seems ideally, since this is a street test, not a dyno run, that the slowest reasonable speed in third gear could be best. With a manual gearbox, holding third is a non issue when going to WOT. I am not sure how the semi automatic will accept this.

Adding more, the slow rolling speed you mention, I assume you are wanting around 2000 to 2200 rpm as a starting point, with WOT pull past 4200 rpm. If this is your target rpm range, then yes, it is likely anything regarding engine torque / pull below 3000 rpm or less would likely benefit from backpressure.

As an early installer of the cat delete, after a few miles it bacame obviously apparent that the power delivery had changed. Stock, our RTS preferred to be short shifted at no more than 3500 rpm. With the bypass installed short shifting is no longer best. The engine revs more freely and now comfortably prefers shifts in the 4200 to 4500 range. Saying that, the engine is making more power and torque at the higher rpm and pulls stronger. Seems the key is how the bike is ridden. Other than parking lots or the driveway, maybe our neighborhood streets, the rpm is never below 2500 revs. On the typicall streets, outside the neighborhood, almost always, the rpm is utilized between 3200 and 4500. No doubt it may sometimes be lower, or even higher, but typically that range.

Next time out, I will try your roll on test. Yes, I expect it to bog and dog until it winds up a bit. But for comparison, if a bypassed RT semi auto is ridden in the sweet spot of rpm, there is better usable power and the torque pulls hard through the previous oem falling off the power rpm point.

This is based on a Lamonster bypass and oem muffler.

Davewho
01-12-2019, 07:42 PM
The only thing have notice if there is a stronger smell of exhaust fumes when stopping. May just be my imagination I guess. I will have to do research on the stage ii Re-MAP

308gunner
01-12-2019, 08:26 PM
The above from "Dennis in Lodi" is a very accurate evaluation of the cat delete. I took my cat delete back off & reinstalled the cat muffler the F3 came with. I had tried 2 baffles using the cat delete with less than adequate results. The Spyder needs the back pressure on low end & very few riders run on top end for any distance.
Darrell

The cat delete that you added the additional baffles..what brand was the cat delete?...was it a la Monster or RLS?

derichio02
02-27-2019, 03:34 AM
Hey All

I have recently installed the Two Brothers exhaust and cat delete and I definitely feel at difference at wide open throttle from launch. Is there a baffle that is recommend for the two brothers setup? I have a 2017 F3s. Should I reinstall the cat and get an Akrapovic exhaust for better sound? Not ready to flash test since I only have 1k miles

PMK
02-27-2019, 04:43 AM
Forgot to post back after doing roll on throttle tests.

I did not compare the stock cat setup vs the Lamonster bypass without baffles, simply tried the roll on runs with our no baffle Lamonster bypass.

The setup was riding two up, and pulling a RT622 trailer, with about 50 pounds in the trailer. 14 RTS SE6.

Used third gear, initial rpm was about 2000 to 2200. I never ever ride like this, low rpm with roll on throttle. I ride with preference to keep the rpm acceptable for the gear selected and current speed.

As described, two riders and trailer, grabbed a handful of throttle. The bike merely accellerated with minimal hard launch. Did several of these runs, and from that 2000 ish rpm it simply accellerated in a manner I expected. Not fast and race like, merely like a typical car without it downshifting.

The key though, is when the rpm increased. As the revs increased, at about 3000 you could feel the engine power coming in. Not wheel spinning power, just a strong steady pull, even with the extra load.

What does it all mean, there is no free lunch. As a rider and where we live, our Spyder very seldom is ridden at 2000 revs, nor is it always bouncing off the rev limiter. Our typical rides, and how I run the Spyder find it to commonly be run in the range of 3000 to 4500 rpm. With the no baffle bypass pipe, the machine pulls well. Yes it is louder than an oem setup with the cat litter box.

No doubt a remap would gain more power, but also is not free. As I have mentioned before, an RT is no racer.

No plans to change, sticking with the no baffles Lamonster bypass pipe. Never wanted the Harley rumble. The exhaust note for whatever reason has a good bark compared to others with the same exact setup. The power has a good feel and rpm range for us. And, yes, I track pretty much every bit of fuel burned, the mpg did increase by a very small amount. Not once but repeatably.

PMK
02-27-2019, 04:46 AM
Hey All

I have recently installed the Two Brothers exhaust and cat delete and I definitely feel at difference at wide open throttle from launch. Is there a baffle that is recommend for the two brothers setup? I have a 2017 F3s. Should I reinstall the cat and get an Akrapovic exhaust for better sound? Not ready to flash test since I only have 1k miles

We do not run a Two Brothers pipe. In the past, most owners found they needed to run the smaller end cap since your setup is essentailly a free flowing race setup and the Spyder does not prefer that.

derichio02
02-27-2019, 10:54 AM
I do have the p1x power tip/silencer installed. There are plenty of folks that run the two brothers setup. I’m just wondering if I’m shooting myself in the foot and should I install a baffle.

PMK
02-27-2019, 02:20 PM
I do have the p1x power tip/silencer installed. There are plenty of folks that run the two brothers setup. I’m just wondering if I’m shooting myself in the foot and should I install a baffle.

Not sure about shooting yourself in the foot, what you have with the tip and rest of the system is what others tend to run.

2dogs
02-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Two Bros S1R too loud....

I have the cat delete with one baffle followed by a Two Bros S1R. I've significantly reduced the heat output and also reduced the weight by 30/40 pounds but the noise level has increased 2/3 fold. The Two Bros dB Killer tip is near on worthless as a noise reducer. Two Bros makes a "Comp Cone Baffle" which looks as if it may help noise reduction, if it will fit the S1R. I emailed Two Bros with that question but no answer back yet. From the looks of the Comp Cone Baffle, it shouldn't be that difficult to reproduce one to fit the S1R. Some thin strips of perforated metal, some pieces of miscellaneous sized thin-walled pipe and some various sized washers all tack welded together may do it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes you end up with something other folks also want.

derichio02
03-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Two Bros S1R too loud....

I have the cat delete with one baffle followed by a Two Bros S1R. I've significantly reduced the heat output and also reduced the weight by 30/40 pounds but the noise level has increased 2/3 fold. The Two Bros dB Killer tip is near on worthless as a noise reducer. Two Bros makes a "Comp Cone Baffle" which looks as if it may help noise reduction, if it will fit the S1R. I emailed Two Bros with that question but no answer back yet. From the looks of the Comp Cone Baffle, it shouldn't be that difficult to reproduce one to fit the S1R. Some thin strips of perforated metal, some pieces of miscellaneous sized thin-walled pipe and some various sized washers all tack welded together may do it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes you end up with something other folks also want.

What baffle did you use? Also is it on the engine side or on the muffler side. I currently do not have a baffle just the power tip. Wondering if there are any gains with the baffle or should I just leave it as it is

Wayne70
07-30-2023, 07:50 PM
So you never had the computer flashed after you removed the cat? And it has been running fine? I have the same bike and just removed my cat and it's a little slower off the start.

2dogs
07-30-2023, 11:37 PM
The ECU controls everything. Here's what I ended up with my experimenting and modifications. Cat delete with one baffle and a highly modified 2Bros muffler all followed with a stage II reflash. After numerous one day trips of 150/250 miles 2up and going from 500 ft to over 7k ft elevation, I have more than enough power and I consistently get 41/42 MPG. 60 MPH is my sweet spot. That's 3k RPM and for every 1k of RPM over that, it will cost me 1MPG. The ECU controls everything but my wrist.

Gwolf
07-31-2023, 06:36 AM
Question- you don't hear much about plugged up cat converters anymore. Early cat converters could become plugged up or partially plugged up, reducing performance and in some cases, actually causing the engine to choke out.

Is this still a possibility with vehicles, or do they have some kind of updated engineering on the newer vehicles preventing that?
Has anyone ever heard of a Spyder cat converter getting plugged up and causing performance problems on high mile Spyders?

Just curious...... I don't have a problem.

BajaRon
07-31-2023, 07:11 AM
Question- you don't hear much about plugged up cat converters anymore. Early cat converters could become plugged up or partially plugged up, reducing performance and in some cases, actually causing the engine to choke out.

Is this still a possibility with vehicles, or do they have some kind of updated engineering on the newer vehicles preventing that?
Has anyone ever heard of a Spyder cat converter getting plugged up and causing performance problems on high mile Spyders?

Just curious...... I don't have a problem.

A plugged cat is always a possibility due to the honey comb design. But if your engine is running as it should, you will not have any issues. Cats are designed to self clean as long as the pollutants ingested are at normal or just slightly elevated levels. They get clogged due to excessive oil consumption, for the most part. The 998's burned oil. But even this was compensated for in those models. The 1330 is a very clean burning engine. It is unlikely that you will have any clogging issues.

PaladinLV
07-31-2023, 08:54 AM
From my PERSONAL perspective
I performed the CAT delete to reduce the weight of vehicle and to remove one of the greatest sources of HEAT!
Heat, NOT to the vehicle but to ME!
I would not expect and did not expect any PERFORMANCE unless performing a "Monster" or similar flash to the ECU.
And for me what I personally experienced was worth the few bucks for some additional comfort.

AJ

BajaRon
07-31-2023, 09:01 AM
From my PERSONAL perspective
I performed the CAT delete to reduce the weight of vehicle and to remove one of the greatest sources of HEAT!
Heat, NOT to the vehicle but to ME!
I would not expect and did not expect any PERFORMANCE unless performing a "Monster" or similar flash to the ECU.
And for me what I personally experienced was worth the few bucks for some additional comfort.

AJ

A very realistic and accurate perspective. Any power gains are going to be minimal without a corresponding upgrade to the ECU. Still, for the relatively small price and ease with which this can be accomplished. I think there is value to this mod. It could be argued that sound also improves.

MarkN
07-31-2023, 03:28 PM
I have a lamonster cat delete without the baffle, stock muffler on my 2022 RTL. Absolutely love the sound! A nice in-line growl, if you want to call it that. Performance difference? Don’t really know. I don’t ride aggressively so that part doesn’t interest me.

SkipH
08-21-2023, 12:06 PM
Why I'm gonna replace the cat converter with the "test tube" is after riding in 110 to 118 degree weather a couple of weeks ago testing out my new home built water cooled vest, as I parked in the garage, a very strong alcohol smell emitted from the tank. So strong that I had to leave the garage door open for an hour. I've had this several times before in hot weather and this time was the worse.

AndysF3S
09-21-2023, 10:16 AM
I am planning on buying the MFI Stage 2 soon and understand that removing the cat will remove some of the back pressure and increase the noise which I am allergic to. I plan on staying with the factory muffler.

My question is has anyone run the MFI Stage 2 with factory cat and muffler and how does it perform? If you removed the cat and stayed with the factory muffler did it improve the performance noticeably and did it get noticeably louder or too loud?

I get the Thunder city baffles helping the bottom end and changing the sound but would prefer not to go that route. Who's cat delete do you recommend that is just an open pipe without resonator or baffles? 22F3S

If I replace the Cat and don't want to lose bottom end torque is the baffled pipe like the thunder city the only choice? I see they sell the baffles but don't see the pipe itself?

I have emailed Lamonster to see what they recommend with their LG 1330? They sell a perforated baffle LG1329 to tone it down. Has anyone run this combo with a stock muffler; how much louder is it? I know loud is subjective unless you use a dB meter but I would prefer near stock sound with increased performance which may not be possible?

troop
09-22-2023, 07:00 AM
I am planning on buying the MFI Stage 2 soon and understand that removing the cat will remove some of the back pressure and increase the noise which I am allergic to. I plan on staying with the factory muffler.

My question is has anyone run the MFI Stage 2 with factory cat and muffler and how does it perform? If you removed the cat and stayed with the factory muffler did it improve the performance noticeably and did it get noticeably louder or too loud?

I get the Thunder city baffles helping the bottom end and changing the sound but would prefer not to go that route. Who's cat delete do you recommend that is just an open pipe without resonator or baffles? 22F3S

If I replace the Cat and don't want to lose bottom end torque is the baffled pipe like the thunder city the only choice? I see they sell the baffles but don't see the pipe itself?

I have emailed Lamonster to see what they recommend with their LG 1330? They sell a perforated baffle LG1329 to tone it down. Has anyone run this combo with a stock muffler; how much louder is it? I know loud is subjective unless you use a dB meter but I would prefer near stock sound with increased performance which may not be possible?

I liked this combo on my F3S with PV3/custom tune:
1.) https://www.baldwinironworks.com/product-page/canam-spyder-cat-bypass-pipe I used the included baffle without the end cap with the stock muffler. Had a very nice rumble.
I watched Paul build my cat delete and install it at his shop in Sparta, Mo. He's only about 20 miles from Lamonster.

SkipH
10-09-2023, 10:52 AM
I finally installed the Test pipe with baffle and it still sounds stock. It did however stop the alcohol/gas smell from evaporation.That top spring is a bit*h...

BajaRon
10-09-2023, 11:07 AM
The top spring is definitely a marvel of engineering excellence!

2dogs
10-09-2023, 02:25 PM
Successfully getting that spring on and off without spilling any blood can be a marvel in itself.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2023, 12:35 AM

When I put on the Cat Delete pipe I didn't use the Baffle ..... Then I tried a home made Baffle ( modeled after the Thunder baffle ) & liked it, so I kept it on .... JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

BertRemington
10-10-2023, 10:13 AM
My experience with top spring is if you do the two side springs first then the top spring will fight and win. But if you do the top spring first then much less fight and you will win easily.:ohyea:

RangerRick
10-10-2023, 02:49 PM
On my 2013 there was only 1 spring and it was a cinch hooking up with the tool RLS included :ohyea:

AndysF3S
10-21-2023, 10:57 AM
I installed a cat bypass yesterday and had no problem with the springs (3) using the proper tool. I believe I bought this tool from skidoo accessories: it is about 19" long and has a couple of openings on the end for pulling or pushing the spring. It took a couple of minutes to remove the springs and about 5 minutes to install because I tried the top spring first and my pipe kept sliding out of the bracket; secured both bottom springs first and then the top spring with no slips or cuts.

The second pic is my lift that I used to install the pipe and the sway bar.

I installed the cat delete pipe without the baffle, stock muffler and did a couple of block rides without my helmet. I found the exhaust sound to be noticeably louder and more rappy. I will go for a longer ride with my helmet on to see if I can tolerate the new louder sound or not. If not, I will research a new baffle and or go back to the cat.

Removing the cat saved about 14 lbs (16-2) and the stock muffler weighs about 10 lbs.

The baffle that came with the pipe is about 48mm (1.89 in) in diameter and if installed with the end removed it reduces to 23mm (.90"ID). This baffle reduces the area of flow from 2.81sq" open pipe to 0.65sq" baffle installed with end open or about 23%. The back pressure would be almost 4.3 times that of the open pipe so for me that is a non-starter if I am trying to add a freer flowing exhaust. I don't know what the back pressure is of the stock system with cat and muffler so to be fair I don't know how the baffle installed with open end would compare back pressure wise. I realize that the baffle will reduce the noise level some but at what back pressure compared to stock? I will check out the Quiet Thunder Monster Baffles before I give up on the open pipe.

I have not ordered the stage 2 from MFI as Tuesday we have snow flurries in the forecast so riding season is pretty much over until late April or May

AndysF3S
10-25-2023, 03:03 PM
I drove to the dealer and back this morning about 60km/40 miles to have my handle bar warmers installed and the temp. was -8C/18 F. The cat bypass without any baffles was loud especially when downshifting, WOT or blipping the throttle like the guys working on the bike got a kick out of. At steady RPM of 3500 the sound was much quieter and tolerable. Start working on the bypass next spring.