PDA

View Full Version : F3-T vs RT SE6

Ph2ocraft
11-08-2018, 06:17 PM
So, i'm finally back in the saddle and looking for my new Spyder. I've found and F3-T and an RT SE6. Other than the rear cargo, running boards and speakers, what are the differences? I can get the F3-T for 18K and the RT for 21.6. So roughly a 3500. difference. Seems I can buy boards and rear storage for less if I really wanted it but I personally don't think I need the rear storage unless the side bags can't hold my helmet.
Input Please

al0vely
11-08-2018, 06:19 PM
These are two different rides - the choice depends on which is more comfortable for you and /or your passenger.

Side bags on F3 don't hold anything hardly - they will not hold my helmet neither will the frunk.

JayBros
11-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Have you test ridden both machines to decide which model's ride best suits you? If not, you're worrying about secondary issues. JMO.

Highwayman2013
11-09-2018, 12:58 AM
The F3L frunk holds my 3X HJC modular just fine. The saddle bags don’t hold much but you can add an aftermarket trunk like a Shad for trips. It would still be a good idea to ride both and see which you prefer.

BryanSD
11-09-2018, 07:36 AM
So, i'm finally back in the saddle and looking for my new Spyder. I've found and F3-T and an RT SE6. Other than the rear cargo, running boards and speakers, what are the differences? I can get the F3-T for 18K and the RT for 21.6. So roughly a 3500. difference. Seems I can buy boards and rear storage for less if I really wanted it but I personally don't think I need the rear storage unless the side bags can't hold my helmet.
Input Please

Two other differences include Heated Grips and Automatic Self-leveling Rear Air Suspension. This Fall, I really came to appreciate the heated grips on my RT and would add them in a second if I owned an F3-T.

Michaelscs
11-09-2018, 08:51 AM
As mentioned, it's really important to try and test ride both. Besides features and comfort for you, one of the most important things that I don't think gets mentioned enough is handling! While I haven't owned an RT series, I have had plenty of chances to drive one, and I think the F3 series is a much better handling machine! And, my 2X Schuberth modular helmet does fit in the frunk of my F3 Daytona.

blacklightning
11-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Two other differences include Heated Grips and Automatic Self-leveling Rear Air Suspension. This Fall, I really came to appreciate the heated grips on my RT and would add them in a second if I owned an F3-T.
The heated grips on my 2014 RT really spoiled me. Although I will probably always have 2 bike, at least one of them will have heated grips. When I ordered my 2016 F3T, the first thing I asked for was for them to add heated grips. They are not as good as the ones on the RT (only one setting, and it is about like low on the RT at best), but better than nothing.

KX5062
11-09-2018, 10:25 AM
I have an RT and have been shopping for either an F3T or "L". To me there are several major differences.

First of all, wind and weather protection. The RT has much better protection from the elements, including an electric windscreen that is adjustable. The F3 windscreen is fixed with no adjustment. The RT has more body work that protects the rider from the elements. If you like being out "there" or if you like a higher level of protection, that will lead you in one direction or another.

Then there is the riding position. The F3 has the down in it, feet forward riding position, akin to a cruiser. The RT has the more traditional riding position of being up higher/on top with the feet more underneath. People have preferences and opinions, but it's up to the rider to decide.

Maybe because you're lower and the center of gravity is lower on the F3, it feels livelier and seems to handle better than the RT. As I understand it, the newer models are fitting with the DPS II, which is a revised and improved power steering module. I have not ridden a new RT, so I can't say if that changes the handling characteristics on that model or not.

Again, whether it's because of overall improvements or model differences, I can't say; however, what I can say is the newer F3's I've ridden have better braking. Although, I don't like the brake pedal position on the F3. However, I think that can be modified to preference.

As mentioned, the storage on the F3 is very limited. Whoever designed the side cases should be fired. From the outside, they look great, but once inside they're really small and limited. The taillight assembly intrudes into the storage excessively and really limits what goes in there. The top box on the "L" is nice and roomy, but like the side cases, are somewhat light and plasticy, and the hinges on the top box are flimsy and care must be exercised in closing.

Also, touched upon is the frunk space. Because of the change in radiator design, the F3 has a greatly reduced frunk capacity.

If touring, the RT is clearly superior. If daytripping, or if the performance is your issue, the F3 is the better choice. IMHO :thumbup:

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 03:12 PM
These are two different rides - the choice depends on which is more comfortable for you and /or your passenger.

Side bags on F3 don't hold anything hardly - they will not hold my helmet neither will the frunk.

I don't like the not holding the helmet comment, kind of makes a decision for me.

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Have you test ridden both machines to decide which model's ride best suits you? If not, you're worrying about secondary issues. JMO.

Both ride just fine to me. Yes one is more comfy versus the other but it's a secondary concern to me.

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 03:15 PM

So they both have air suspension but one is self leveling, is that correct?

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
As mentioned, it's really important to try and test ride both. Besides features and comfort for you, one of the most important things that I don't think gets mentioned enough is handling! While I haven't owned an RT series, I have had plenty of chances to drive one, and I think the F3 series is a much better handling machine! And, my 2X Schuberth modular helmet does fit in the frunk of my F3 Daytona.

Thanks for the input, I will take my helmet with me today.

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 03:17 PM
The heated grips on my 2014 RT really spoiled me. Although I will probably always have 2 bike, at least one of them will have heated grips. When I ordered my 2016 F3T, the first thing I asked for was for them to add heated grips. They are not as good as the ones on the RT (only one setting, and it is about like low on the RT at best), but better than nothing.

I'm a fan of heated grips and thew aftermarket never seem to be as good, just not sure if it's a deal breaker for me as I do ride with very thin heated gloves and I've gotten quite used to them. Thanks for the input.

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 03:28 PM
I have an RT and have been shopping for either an F3T or "L". To me there are several major differences.

First of all, wind and weather protection. The RT has much better protection from the elements, including an electric windscreen that is adjustable. The F3 windscreen is fixed with no adjustment. The RT has more body work that protects the rider from the elements. If you like being out "there" or if you like a higher level of protection, that will lead you in one direction or another.

Then there is the riding position. The F3 has the down in it, feet forward riding position, akin to a cruiser. The RT has the more traditional riding position of being up higher/on top with the feet more underneath. People have preferences and opinions, but it's up to the rider to decide.

Maybe because you're lower and the center of gravity is lower on the F3, it feels livelier and seems to handle better than the RT. As I understand it, the newer models are fitting with the DPS II, which is a revised and improved power steering module. I have not ridden a new RT, so I can't say if that changes the handling characteristics on that model or not.

Again, whether it's because of overall improvements or model differences, I can't say; however, what I can say is the newer F3's I've ridden have better braking. Although, I don't like the brake pedal position on the F3. However, I think that can be modified to preference.

As mentioned, the storage on the F3 is very limited. Whoever designed the side cases should be fired. From the outside, they look great, but once inside they're really small and limited. The taillight assembly intrudes into the storage excessively and really limits what goes in there. The top box on the "L" is nice and roomy, but like the side cases, are somewhat light and plasticy, and the hinges on the top box are flimsy and care must be exercised in closing.

Also, touched upon is the frunk space. Because of the change in radiator design, the F3 has a greatly reduced frunk capacity.

If touring, the RT is clearly superior. If daytripping, or if the performance is your issue, the F3 is the better choice. IMHO :thumbup:

I think you have touched on my exact issues with the main one being my use of the unit. I mainly wish to use it for traveling 1:15 minutes on some highway and some backroads to my weekend place which I visit about 3 times a month. Storage isn't critical as I have what I need at both homes and of course if the weather is bad, I can simply take a car. Although I might use it for longer treks if I find I like it enough to travel. My 2 wheeled days are over with a replacement hip and two knees (ughhh). If I knew I was going to take the cruises and the wife was coming along, the RT would be a no brainer for the self leveling suspension, adjustable windscreen and heated grips...not to mention her added comfort for the trip and the nicely molded rear cargo box. If I indeed just use it to rip up to the property and go solo, the F would be plenty.
It's sounding in this case, I really need to just bite the bullet and buy the RT.
Thanks for your input.

Saluda
11-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Test drive, as long as you can do it for.

Lew L
11-14-2018, 04:37 PM
The RT also has an adjustable wind shield. Many people change the windshield on either ryde.

RT also a very different seating position --- I think it's better for longer rydes.

Lew L

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Test drive, as long as you can do it for.

And that really is the issue. I have about an hour on each. I?d like a full day on each but I?m thinking that?s just not possible so I?ll have to just wing some of it. I find both pleasurable to ride so I think I just need to bet that?ll I?ll do some trips:-)

Ph2ocraft
11-14-2018, 04:45 PM
The RT also has an adjustable wind shield. Many people change the windshield on either ryde.

RT also a very different seating position --- I think it's better for longer rydes.

Lew L

But is it electric;-)

ARtraveler
11-14-2018, 05:01 PM
All good advice above. :yes:

Lew L
11-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Yes ----- on the RT it is electric. I think the F3 is not adjustable. but many people get an aftermarket shield/

KX5062
11-15-2018, 09:33 AM
So they both have air suspension but one is self leveling, is that correct?

Neither of the the models you asked about are the self leveling. The F3L is and so is the upper models in the RT range. The F3S and "T" and the base RT do not self level and have a Schrader valve under the seat to manually adjust ride height.

Also, when tested the frunk does fit my helmet. I wear either a large or extra large full face helmet with a Sena attached. However, once in there, there is no room for anything much else.

Michaelscs
11-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Neither of the the models you asked about are the self leveling. The F3L is and so is the upper models in the RT range. The F3S and "T" and the base RT do not self level and have a Schrader valve under the seat to manually adjust ride height.

Also, when tested the frunk does fit my helmet. I wear either a large or extra large full face helmet with a Sena attached. However, once in there, there is no room for anything much else.

A little correction here. The F3S does not have a Schrader valve under the seat, because it doesn't have an air bag for the suspension at all.

Kiry
11-15-2018, 10:48 AM
The comfort of the ride > storage options.

I love my F3. I ended up getting a couple of flexible sided bags which store my stuff for a week long ride in the side and frunk just find. Now, i'm spoiled with the rear truck, which stores my helmet, gloves etc.

I also replaced my windshield which made a huge difference with comfort in cold and rain.

ride ride ride!