PDA

View Full Version : Ryker Windshield

Sarge707
11-08-2018, 08:39 AM
For those of you who have ridden with the windshield- Is it higher than the Blue Ridge or would you still have to add a MRA X-creen (Sport would seem to be a better fit than Tour) . My other alternative would be to get a generic (Cheap) shield a little taller and wider like a CalSci or sport bike screen and attach with the four bolts provided. At least the attachment bolt holes can be traced to a new screen if not overly big. Maybe it works as other things on the Ryker- Perfect!!!:yes:

Highwayman2013
11-08-2018, 09:32 AM
The 900 I rode had the windshield. It seemed pretty good but I didn't realize it was all the way down. It is adjustable but looks very small.

Highwayman2013
11-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Sarge707
11-08-2018, 10:59 AM

https://youtu.be/-APoGNp1sg8

The way it bolts on is nice for a modified screen as Long as it doesn't put TOO much pressure on the attachment points!

geeluvva
04-02-2019, 08:51 PM
No windshield on my 900 yet. I'm debating the factory screen vs. something like the CalSci. As I get up to highway speed the turbulence makes it an uncomfortable ride (for me) so hoping a screen makes it better.

CENTAUR
04-02-2019, 09:11 PM
I have the OEM screen and it works pretty well for me. When it's down smooth air hits me at helmet level and when it's up I get a lot more air hitting my shoulders. Definitely less turbulence than nekkid. A ride in steady rain and I could say for sure how well it works and if planning a tour in cold weather I would want a bigger one. What happened to C-Bailey?:riding:
CENTAUR

Tslepebull
04-03-2019, 10:42 AM
For the record I purchased the stock shield when I bought my Rally. It did not take me long to decide that even though it looked cool, regardless of setting, it was very loud (even with earplugs) and I got a lot of buffeting. Then I tried one of the screen extensions that clamp on the top; I really did not like that. Recently I replaced the stock screen with a CalSci medium height screen. The CalSci is not as noisy as the stock shield but not so quiet that I cannot comfortably ride without earplugs for more than a few miles. The CalSci screen did reduce the buffeting on my shoulders and thus unwanted handlebar inputs. The CalSci (although not perfect) is much more comfortable for me than the stock screen; particularly at highway speed.

geeluvva
04-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the input! I'm riding with no screen now and I find it affects my relationship with the handlebars at 60+. I'm riding for the first time in 15 years, and first time ever on three wheels so I know it's going to take some time, but still. Tslepebull, a medium CalSci? I'm 5'11 w. a 30" inseam and they said go for the large...sound right? And what would be the disadvantage going XL? I assume I'd be unable to look over it out in front of me?

Freezefm
04-03-2019, 07:11 PM
I run between 6'1" and 6'2" depending on time of day. I purchased the screen with my Ryker. I can't position the screen to eliminate the buffeting. Low, it hits pretty much square in the face; high, it hits about at my forehead (which is great for cleaning the raindrops off my face mask). It's bad enough that if I crack the face mask, it'll vibrate hard enough to blur my vision. It does, however, keep the wind off my chest pretty good.
A larger screen may be in my future.

Francis

CTAC
04-03-2019, 07:23 PM
I am 5'11" but long waisted. I purchased the XL on site at California Scientific. I can still pop my head over the top but mostly look through the top couple of inches in a cruising position. My lumbar support keeps my back very straight. I almost wish the XL was another 1.5" taller but maybe I am abnormal in that regard. As mentioned before, as long as the windshield is optically clear, I would rather look through it than hear wind noise for miles and miles. Purchase seems to be a good one.

Tslepebull
04-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the input! I'm riding with no screen now and I find it affects my relationship with the handlebars at 60+. I'm riding for the first time in 15 years, and first time ever on three wheels so I know it's going to take some time, but still. Tslepebull, a medium CalSci? I'm 5'11 w. a 30" inseam and they said go for the large...sound right? And what would be the disadvantage going XL? I assume I'd be unable to look over it out in front of me?

I'm not picking a windscreen for anybody else because I would just screw it up. The CalSci web site has a matrix that allows you to select a windshield based on height and inseam. It worked for me. I am 6',0" tall but with a 34" inseam; short body--long legs. You likely sit higher in the seat than I do. use the force Luke!

geeluvva
04-03-2019, 07:30 PM
I hear what you're saying...their chart puts me in the L range, but moderately close to XL. I spoke to Mark at CalSci and he said I should opt for the L, I think I will and exchange for the XL if need be.

Tslepebull
04-03-2019, 07:33 PM
I was in between a small and medium. Mark suggested the medium; I'm glad I listened.

scooterjunkie
04-05-2019, 12:09 AM
I just installed the Calsci windshield and it is great. I bought the biggest one they offered and even my dealer was impressed bu the overall fit and finish. Loved the textured finish on the mounts and thoughtful design overall. Ordered it on line and had withing 4 business days. Magnificent product. Can't wait to get it on the highway. Installed in minutes.