PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Size - Base vs Rally Edition

nchangin
11-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Yo howdy everyone. Pretty sure I'll be looking at getting one this spring when the low interest rate deals hit. The Ryker seems to address every issue I had with owning a Spyder.

Just an opinion but is it just me but do the carbon black wheels (base model) have more aesthetic appeal than the rally wheels? I understand the Rally wheels are a of a heavier duty nature than the base carbon fiber wheels.

Also am I correct the rear wheel for Rally edition 15" Base edition is 16". I guess that extra inch shouldn't mean that much? I wonder why they didn't have a 16" wheel for Rally edition. Rally mode tuning/setup possibly? Probably has something to do with the clearance as well? Anyhoooo it's been driving me nuts, maybe someone else can shed a little more info on it? Thanks everyone for sharing!

Peter Aawen
11-01-2018, 06:01 PM
The Rally edition Rykers are running a more robust higher profile tire than the 'sporty' low profile tire more suited for exclusively sealed road & highway use that's on all the other models. The Rally tire is more of an 'All-roads' version with a higher profile & slightly more aggressive tread so it can better handle the varied surfaces & absorb the impact & potentially sidewall damaging knocks & bumps gravel roads with potholes & ruts etc can inflict! ;)

So the different rim size is simply to letthe Rallys to run a rim size that allows the fitting of a higher profile tire without a significant increase in the overall tire rolling diameter. Note that the Rallys also don't have the close fitting rear fenders available on the others, so any stones & mud etc that might get caught or picked up in the more aggressive tread won't get jammed under the fender & either damage things or maybe even jam the wheel & stop it from turning! :thumbup:

Horses for courses! :2thumbs:

nchangin
11-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Mr Aawen,

Thank you so much! Boy does that make a whole lot more sense now! On the fenders too. Do you think it would be safe to say with the Rally edition you may see some splatter on your back as well from debris off the tire? :)

Peter Aawen
11-01-2018, 07:13 PM
From what I've been able to gather from the pics & vids I've seen, it looks like the Rallys all come with the 'tail' that sticks out of the back of the riders seat set up as the rear fender (& also to carry any of the optional accessories that can hang off that!) and with any luck that'll stop most of the splatter from going straight up your back & down your neck.... but I reckon you're right about getting some splatter & debris spraying off the rear tire!! :shocked:

I'd guess the design intent & actual function is much like that of any dirt bike with long travel suspension - the fenders are raised well clear of the tires so they can't pack with mud etc & clog up, but as a result of that extra clearance there's gotta be more stuff flying around the place rather than being deflected down & away by a form fitting fender mounted within an inch or so of the tire tread. But then, isn't that part of the fun of riding a bike off the black-top?? :dontknow:

On the Ryker, the two front wheels are going to be spraying stuff at you as well, so the 'extra' splatter you get from the rear isn't really going to be adding all that much more; altho it does look like the designers have made some effort to reduce the potential for hitting the rider with big &/or damaging lumps. Will it be too much spray/splatter, or so little that the bike & rider stays fairly clean no matter how wet or loose the surface? I really don't know the answer to that, altho I suspect it'll be one of those things you just hafta actually try for yourself and see how much goop you're prepared to put up with, as well as seeing how much goop gets flung from the various surfaces you might ryde on once you leave the blacktop! However much there is, it'll probably be a good reminder to wear ATGATT anyway... plumes of high velocity gravel or even just sloppy mud spray blasting off the tires might look speccy, but if it hits poorly protected skin, it'll probably sting a bit & likely leave a mark! :shocked:

There again, regardless of how dirty you might get, I still reckon it'll be a blast to ryde on the dirt, wet or dry! :thumbup:

monkeyboymorton
11-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Just an opinion but is it just me but do the carbon black wheels (base model) have more aesthetic appeal than the rally wheels?

I've got to agree, I think the standard rear wheel is the best looking. I lke the 'dished' in look. I personally don't like the rally wheels at all - they are not to my taste.

Sarge707
11-04-2018, 08:47 AM
I've got to agree, I think the standard rear wheel is the best looking. I lke the 'dished' in look. I personally don't like the rally wheels at all - they are not to my taste.
I agree- The silver Rally wheels eliminated that model for me-Plus I don't go off road- The Black rims on the Normal 900cc version will look great with the Red Plastic inserts although I Wish they would make Yellow wheel inserts for those who choose Yellow shock???

Winnex3
11-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I agree- The silver Rally wheels eliminated that model for me-Plus I don't go off road- The Black rims on the Normal 900cc version will look great with the Red Plastic inserts although I Wish they would make Yellow wheel inserts for those who choose Yellow shock???
i do think i like the regular wheels better but maybe the rally wheels will look better in person if not you can always plastic dip them the rally offers a better seat better shocks and the max mount hand gards and skid plates more aggressive tires and rally mode witch might be fun for a thousand more should have a better resale if you should ever get rid of it i do like the aggressive tire look better it give it a meaner look i also might be able to play in the snow with rally mode and aggressive tires :yes:

nchangin
11-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Good afternoon, in looking at these tire sizes, base or rally edition, it seems those front tires are a proprietary size? Does not seem to be a variety of manufacturers for the rear tire size. Can anyone shed some light as to the approximate replacement costs on the rear tire?

Rally
Front tires MC 145/60R16 66T
Rear tire MC 205/55R15 81T

Base
Front tires MC 145/60R16 66T
Rear tire MC 205/45R16 77T

Curious what the codes behind the tire sizes are? Thank you folks!