PDA

View Full Version : 600cc Ryker at Test track and Test speed of Both versions!!!!

Sarge707
10-25-2018, 03:07 PM
https://youtu.be/0NckzJtpKAI

Very nice for those who would consider a 600?

robhowen
10-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Do you think the speed was in kilometers? It didn't look fast enough to be MPH to me.
Rob

Sarge707
10-25-2018, 03:20 PM
Do you think the speed was in kilometers? It didn't look fast enough to be MPH to me.
Rob

Yes in YouTube comments it says 600cc version 126kph= 78 and the Testing source in comments says 146kph=90 for 900cc version.

Rob Rodriguez
10-25-2018, 03:29 PM
https://youtu.be/0NckzJtpKAI

Very nice for those who would consider a 600?

In the comments it says 600 top was about 78 mph and the 900 top was about 90 mph

The 600 is a little faster than I expected and the 900 is a little slower. I'd like to buy a 900 but it needs to be able to top out between 100-110 for that to happen. I actually thought the 900 would be able to do that? I'll be sitting on one soon to check the seating position. Based on everything I've seen I think there is enough adjustment to get my legs pretty straight (vertical). I'm all set to buy if the seating works out but now this 90 mph top speed is another snag. Now I will have to ride one as well. Dealer says I can test ride in December as long as the roads are dry.

12 mph difference. Seems like it should be more than that. This makes a 900 turbo version of the Ryker a must if the 90 mph top speed is true.

ARtraveler
10-25-2018, 04:02 PM
My vote is for kph. Stuff was not going by fast enough for mph. IMO of course. :bowdown::bowdown:

Good information for the site though. :yes::yes:

Sarge707
10-25-2018, 05:19 PM
In the comments it says 600 top was about 78 mph and the 900 top was about 90 mph

The 600 is a little faster than I expected and the 900 is a little slower. I'd like to buy a 900 but it needs to be able to top out between 100-110 for that to happen. I actually thought the 900 would be able to do that? I'll be sitting on one soon to check the seating position. Based on everything I've seen I think there is enough adjustment to get my legs pretty straight (vertical). I'm all set to buy if the seating works out but now this 90 mph top speed is another snag. Now I will have to ride one as well. Dealer says I can test ride in December as long as the roads are dry.

12 mph difference. Seems like it should be more than that. This makes a 900 turbo version of the Ryker a must if the 90 mph top speed is true.

With 30 more hp 77 vs 47 and about 20 pounds more torque you would think the difference would be bigger BUT maybe Can Am made it More equal through the CVT gearing? I have No need for more than 80 in Connecticut because it means reckless driving at any higher speed. My dealer said he "Could" sell one in Dec if he gets 2 floor models.

Winnex3
10-25-2018, 05:54 PM
With 30 more hp 77 vs 47 and about 20 pounds more torque you would think the difference would be bigger BUT maybe Can Am made it More equal through the CVT gearing? I have No need for more than 80 in Connecticut because it means reckless driving at any higher speed. My dealer said he "Could" sell one in Dec if he gets 2 floor models.
It’s the cvt holding it back you can only make a cvt go so fast look in the scooter world 400 vs 650 and you will see not much different other than take off

Rob Rodriguez
10-25-2018, 07:10 PM
It’s the cvt holding it back you can only make a cvt go so fast look in the scooter world 400 vs 650 and you will see not much different other than take off

I don't believe that to be true. The CVT might be holding it back because that's the way BRP has set up the "clutching" (weights, springs, ramps) but the CVT itself is capable of speeds in excess of 100 and higher horsepower motors.

A snowmobile with this exact same setup (same engine and CVT) is good for about 85 mph so I thought the Ryker 900 would hit a C note but maybe they have "clutched" for more low end?

Have to test ride one.

Sarge707
10-25-2018, 08:29 PM
I don't believe that to be true. The CVT might be holding it back because that's the way BRP has set up the "clutching" (weights, springs, ramps) but the CVT itself is capable of speeds in excess of 100 and higher horsepower motors.

A snowmobile with this exact same setup (same engine and CVT) is good for about 85 mph so I thought the Ryker 900 would hit a C note but maybe they have "clutched" for more low end?

Have to test ride one.

If you have viewed the SnowCat Videos you know its clutched for burn outs?:roflblack:

Winnex3
10-25-2018, 08:38 PM

Have to test ride one.
as i have said look up suzuki burgman 400 vs 650 its the cvt that hold it back now you can change the cvt like different weight and different rollers

jcthorne
10-26-2018, 07:38 AM
So the 600 cannot even be used on the interstate. Can't even make the speed limit on many and thats flat out max speed.

So for any kind of on road riding in the US, the 900 is really the minimum to be able to ride with other bikes and traffic. Even that, a 90mph top speed maxed out is pretty underwhelming. Its not going to cruise for an hour or two at 85.... Truly a short distance local commuter bike. Not even sure I could take this on a riding club group ride on country roads. I could but would be holding the group back from time to time. Its really not for current spyder owners.

Bob Denman
10-26-2018, 07:41 AM
It's more than enough for the target marketplace; Thanks for posting it! :thumbup:

Rob Rodriguez
10-26-2018, 08:02 AM
So the 600 cannot even be used on the interstate. Can't even make the speed limit on many and thats flat out max speed.

So for any kind of on road riding in the US, the 900 is really the minimum to be able to ride with other bikes and traffic. Even that, a 90mph top speed maxed out is pretty underwhelming. Its not going to cruise for an hour or two at 85.... Truly a short distance local commuter bike. Not even sure I could take this on a riding club group ride on country roads. I could but would be holding the group back from time to time. Its really not for current spyder owners.

I have to agree with you. BRP may have done a lot of "right" things with the Ryker but these limited speeds could be what makes it a failure. I was a new rider 20 yrs ago on a new Sportster 1200. At first I was happy doing 50-60 mph but after a couple months of riding under my belt I was maxing out the bike at its 105 mph limit and regularly cruising in the 75 range. While I had a love/hate relationship with the Sportster it was a bike that allowed a person to start slow and then give them decent performance once they grew into it a bit. Doesn't sound to me like the Ryker is like that. BRP wants you to trade up as you grow and personally I don't believe that's going to happen (not with the current state of the Spyder line anyway). Not going to happen because for every reason you bought a Ryker, you won't buy a Spyder.

Dealer info says he was told by BRP top speed for the 900 should be about 105 or between 100-105. Maybe the guys in the video had a bad unit? I'll test ride one in December (with snowmobile gear on) and see what it's got. If 90 is it then I'll put myself back in "wait mode" and keep riding the RS until they release the turbo version.

Highwayman2013
10-26-2018, 08:52 AM
I have to agree with you. BRP may have done a lot of "right" things with the Ryker but these limited speeds could be what makes it a failure. I was a new rider 20 yrs ago on a new Sportster 1200. At first I was happy doing 50-60 mph but after a couple months of riding under my belt I was maxing out the bike at its 105 mph limit and regularly cruising in the 75 range. While I had a love/hate relationship with the Sportster it was a bike that allowed a person to start slow and then give them decent performance once they grew into it a bit. Doesn't sound to me like the Ryker is like that. BRP wants you to trade up as you grow and personally I don't believe that's going to happen (not with the current state of the Spyder line anyway). Not going to happen because for every reason you bought a Ryker, you won't buy a Spyder.

Dealer info says he was told by BRP top speed for the 900 should be about 105 or between 100-105. Maybe the guys in the video had a bad unit? I'll test ride one in December (with snowmobile gear on) and see what it's got. If 90 is it then I'll put myself back in "wait mode" and keep riding the RS until they release the turbo version.

So you are basing this on a video of European spec tests? The rider didn't seem like he was really pushing it. as it in Sport mode? Sorry I rode one and the 900cc version is way more than adequate for riding with other spyders. Now I wish I had pushed for max speed.

Rob Rodriguez
10-26-2018, 09:00 AM
So you are basing this on a video of European spec tests? Sorry I rode one and the 900cc version is way more than adequate for riding with other spyders.

True, I'm jumping the gun by not having test rode one. :) I hope you're right.

old Timer
10-26-2018, 09:08 AM
You all should realize that the speeds shown on the track are in no way the top speeds of these Rykers. The straights were not very long. The speeds you saw were just the speeds on this track.

What this really shows is that the 900 out accelerates the 600. Watching these vids, expect the 900 to get just over 100MPH and the 600 close to 90 MPH

Bob Denman
10-26-2018, 09:17 AM
Yup... :agree: :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
10-26-2018, 10:16 AM
True, I'm jumping the gun by not having test rode one. :) I hope you're right.

I will test ride both 600 and 900 when our dealer gets them. The BRP demo 900cc I rode had quite snappy acceleration in sport mode.

Sarge707
10-26-2018, 11:14 AM
I googled state speed limits and the Northeast is basically 65 with the south-central 70 and the Central-West 75 with Nevada at 80 MPH so in over half the country the 78 is about 8 mph more than the speed limit . Its obvious they torqued the 600 for acceleration and numerous people said it will have no problem merging into a highway . The 600 would be excellent for Smooth backroad twisties in my state from 35-55 mph and if you go 80 on them you will meet a tree sooner than later. We should see the speed #s Monday and its all just really starting. An Exciting time for me to look forward to!:yes:

Rob Rodriguez
10-26-2018, 11:35 AM
I googled state speed limits and the Northeast is basically 65 with the south-central 70 and the Central-West 75 with Nevada at 80 MPH so in over half the country the 78 is about 8 mph more than the speed limit

But why does any of this matter? I know all sates have speed limits but honestly does anyone drive by them. Sure if your driving in town and the limit is 25 then you should be in the 25-35 range but other than that............ My opinion is, speed limit is what the traffic is moving at and quite often that's above what's posted.

ARtraveler
10-26-2018, 01:48 PM
I am guessing both models will have adequate acceleration and speed to keep up with today's traffic patterns.

Building a unit that won't drive at freeway speed may be an issue for some. However--the Ryker is NOT made for the "touring" market. A good example would be the Ural with sidecar. Good for about 60 tops.

My first bike was an 80cc one lunger. I seized the engine on that one in the first week. After that, it would only do about 40 before it would seize again.

I am still thinking that the jury is out. But am looking forward to good information as it becomes available. :bbq::bbq:

Winnex3
10-26-2018, 03:08 PM
https://youtu.be/fpPWn9DlOEY

Joel The Biker
10-27-2018, 02:31 AM

Definitely not true at all! I had 2 scooters. A Suzuki Burgman 400 and 650. And both would go over 100mph with me on them and I weigh 300 lbs.

jcthorne
10-27-2018, 07:08 AM
I googled state speed limits and the Northeast is basically 65 with the south-central 70 and the Central-West 75 with Nevada at 80 MPH so in over half the country the 78 is about 8 mph more than the speed limit

But why does any of this matter? I know all sates have speed limits but honestly does anyone drive by them. Sure if your driving in town and the limit is 25 then you should be in the 25-35 range but other than that............ My opinion is, speed limit is what the traffic is moving at and quite often that's above what's posted.

Correct. Many of our back roads here in Texas have 75mph speed limits. Group rides routinely putt along at 80 to 85 on longer stretches.

Batmobil-F3
10-27-2018, 07:40 AM
Here in Germany the speed limit in cities is 31mph, on Highways 62mph and on Interstates ("Autobahn") unlimited. With my F3-S I reach a top speed of 120mph.

Bob Denman
10-27-2018, 08:45 AM
Definitely not true at all! I had 2 scooters. A Suzuki Burgman 400 and 650. And both would go over 100mph with me on them and I weigh 300 lbs.

But you're forgetting something: they're aerodynamic drag is nowhere NEAR that of a Trike... nojoke
Weight affects acceleration much more, than it does top speeds anyway...

Winnex3
10-27-2018, 09:35 AM
ok right thats what i am saying your 650 burgman did not go much faster than your 400 the 650 has better take off but not much more speed over the 400 even know it was 250 cc more like having 426 hemi v8 vs a 3.8 v6 but there both in first gear one will get there faster but they go about the same speed in first gear i to have a 400 and a 650 Bugman and this is what i have found out from owning them not trying to compare scooter to Ryker just saying that both 600 and 900 Ryker top speed sould be close to each other because of cvt is efficient

Highwayman2013
10-27-2018, 10:26 AM
https://youtu.be/fpPWn9DlOEY

Even Martin said he didn't get top speed in this video.

Sarge707
10-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Martin said he got 130-140 on the 600cc and about 154 on the 900cc But I thought he said he was going to do a video on the Top Speed and acceleration?? Was Part 2 that video because it didn't sound to scientific the way he kind of said it?:dontknow:

old Timer
10-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Most likely you can see 100-110 MPH on the 900 and 85-95 on the 600 under normal conditions. Plenty fast on these machines, probably either one would easily cruise at 80. Both would be dynamite up to 70-75. In any event, either one would be ideal for a several day trip and outstanding in the Twisties. A perfect 200 to 300 mile Day Ride and an even better daily runabout.

My preference would be the regular 900 because it is a little lower than the Rally as I love playing Go-Fast here in the Smokey Mountains.:yes:

monkeyboymorton
10-28-2018, 05:03 AM
I think that's the most honest review yet and he deviates from the 'be polite about the new product' line a bit more than all the previous ones. There's a really telling cut in the video at a point where he starts to say what he thinks! His face says it all!

What he seems to say without actually saying it, is it's not as quick as an F3 (even the 900), it's not as stable as an F3 and it's not as nice as an F3. None of which come as much of a surprise, it's not going to be at that price.

Of course Martin's F3 has upgraded suspension, remapped ECU, better tires etc etc so probably not a fair comparison to a stock F3.

I still think it'll be alright for the UK with our tighter twistier roads but I can understand the comments about US interstates and longer rides. The lower wieght is probably a negative there not a positive.