PDA

View Full Version : 900 ACE Turbo

Rob Rodriguez
10-23-2018, 07:17 AM
My guess is we will see this motor in the Ryker in the next couple of model years. How sweet will that be!!

Read about it in the snowmobile here
http://amsnow.com/reviews/how-to-tech/2018/08/900-ace-heats-up-turbo-wars

Bob Denman
10-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Let's let them get the bike out, and into the hands of the public...
It's too early for the "Silly Season" to start. :D

Rob Rodriguez
10-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Let's let them get the bike out, and into the hands of the public...
It's too early for the "Silly Season" to start. :D

It's not silly :) It's the next logical step and I believe there is a fairly large group of riders (potential riders) that have been waiting a very looooooooong time for it. Build it and they will come.

Sarge707
10-23-2018, 07:30 AM
It's not silly :) It's the next logical step and I believe there is a fairly large group of riders (potential riders) that have been waiting a very looooooooong time for it. Build it and they will come.

With a 1.24 P/W Ratio the Ryker doesn't need turbo. I think liability will keep it out of road vehicles for at least 3 years!nojoke

Rob Rodriguez
10-23-2018, 07:46 AM
With a 1.24 P/W Ratio the Ryker doesn't need turbo. I think liability will keep it out of road vehicles for at least 3 years!nojoke

I don't understand the comments here about liability. They come up from time to time as an excuse as to why BRP doesn't build a higher performance bike. Is there really any more liability to the consumer in a 900 vs a 900 turbo bike? I would say no. One may be able to go "faster" or "quicker" than the other but that's at the discretion of the rider. Has nothing to do with BRP. BRP provides all the same "safeguards" for both vehicles. It's up to the rider to decide how to ride the bike. You can have an accident on a 600 just as easily as you can on a 900, just as easily as you can on a 900 turbo just as easily as you can in a car, just as easily as you can on a pedal bike, just as easily as you can on a 50cc scooter.

A Ford focus and a Ford Mustang has the same liability. They are both cars and they can both be involved in accidents for various reasons. One's just a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the other.

People buy "a hell of a lot more fun".

Bob Denman
10-23-2018, 08:04 AM
BRP won't put the money into stuffing that mill into the Ryker... not yet!
They've got upgrades to the rest of their line-up to implement first.

It's a brand-new platform: give it some time to age, and see what it REALLY needs... nojoke

Rob Rodriguez
10-23-2018, 08:29 AM
Yes, new line and they will wait a couple years because that's going to be the up sell to the 600 and 900. As far as money. Its a no brainer...its the cheapest bang for the buck upgrade they can do. The engine with turbo is already in 3 other products. I'm sure they already have a 900 turbo Ryker riding around Valcourt. I find it hard to believe they didn't design it from day one with the turbo in mind. That's how BRP works. They design a "full" product with a 5-10yr life cycle. They introduce the design with limited features and then release more features at various stages (until the full product is released) as a way to "refresh" interest and keep sales moving forward. It's how they add value without increasing their costs.

Chupaca
10-23-2018, 11:37 AM
They actually did the turbo thing on the F3 as we all saw.....So where is that..??? Not even a hint of going into production..:dontknow: I think BRP looks at it as in a snowmobile it is man agaist nature, trees, clifs, rocks, snow related accidents that will most likely only kill the rider...yet in a street vehicle there are more apt to be other lives and opstacles at stake...Just a thought...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-23-2018, 01:54 PM
With three current choices for the Ryker--I think they did well with the intro. It was even on time and within the price points predicted.

I am seeing lots of interest so far from members on the site. In a couple months--people will be giving their test drive opinions. Turbo--IMO--is a smaller "niche" market. They do not appeal to everyone.

Lots of money being spent and BRP (based on what my dealer said), wanted them to buy a dozen Rykers to sell for the grand introduction. Dealer said it was out of the question and is no longer going to sell Spyders at all. Now--NO dealer in AK.

I saw the same thing posted about another dealer. A very thin line to walk at the moment. Five years out--who knows what will happen.

The product really never caught on here--I was one of about three "gung ho" owners. I don't have actual numbers, but am guessing less than 50 total sold in the ten years they were available. And...I bought five of those.

Rob Rodriguez
10-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Yes, I agree the Spyder has not had wide appeal for sure. In fact my dealer was on the fence about continuing to carry them after 2018. He said the F3 just does not sell. The RT is better but still the 3-4 he sells a year just doesn't work. He's decided to stay on thinking (hoping) the Ryker will be a good thing. Although BRP not having a Ryker on the Northeast to visit dealers before snow flies isn't doing him any favors.

Talked to a dealer out west while on a trip and he told me they had just signed on to sell Spyders this year at their 3 dealerships because BRP is closing dealers off to the Spyder line. The way he explained it, this was his last opportunity from BRP to become a Spyder dealer. If he didn't take it then it would not be offered again. Sounds odd to me. Anyway he had 4 units at the dealership. 3 F3's and an RT. Said there was ZERO interest in any of them. He's not sure he made a good decision.

Riding sort of proves this out. I rode the Northeast US this year and a good chunk of the Northwest. I see more Spyders than ever now but I'd say 95% of them are RT's. I think I've seen 2 F3's all year on the road. A couple of RS/GS/ST.

I think (hope) the Ryker will have a broader appeal. I know I'm VERY interested in one. I just need to ride it to be sure it "fits".

Dealers always get left holding the bag and aren't treated very well by the manufacturer. This is the norm in the powersports business. Honestly I don't know why manufactures don't just sell direct online and have a network of servicing dealers.