PDA

View Full Version : After less bulky Ladies Spyder Gear Suggestions

kjog
10-22-2018, 12:24 PM
New excited 2018 F3L Spyder lady rider. I'm looking at pants for cold weather riding (25 to 45 degrees). Don't really like bulk. Is Can Am gear worth the price? Experienced suggestions, reviews, and websites solicited.

Brentc
10-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Klim makes great product

I’m a big fan of Klim gear. Pricey, but very well made and you’ll be hard pressed to find better gear.

ARtraveler
10-22-2018, 02:11 PM
New excited 2018 F3L Spyder lady rider. I'm looking at pants for cold weather riding (25 to 45 degrees). Don't really like bulk. Is Can Am gear worth the price? Experienced suggestions, reviews, and websites solicited.

Can Am gear is GOOD--but it is way overpriced--IMO. First gear is much more reasonable. Check with Baja Ron--he has been a seller of Firstgear items at reasonable prices.

kjog
10-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. More questions now. I have found Leaders RPM Shop sells Can Am Spyder OEM Ladies Caliber Pants for a major discount on new items although not the newest version. Has anyone bought from them? What is the link to Baja Ron's website or First Gear? Kilm is extremely nice but I'm not ready to pay that much. What's the thought on textile versus leather? Are all of these pants to be worn over jeans?

ARtraveler
10-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. More questions now. I have found Leaders RPM Shop sells Can Am Spyder OEM Ladies Caliber Pants for a major discount on new items although not the newest version. Has anyone bought from them? What is the link to Baja Ron's website or First Gear? Kilm is extremely nice but I'm not ready to pay that much. What's the thought on textile versus leather? Are all of these pants to be worn over jeans?

Baja Ron link from Home Page ads:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

ARtraveler
10-22-2018, 04:05 PM

Todays textile gear is also water repellant. If you get into a soaker with leather gear--you are eventually going to get real wet. Pickers choice whether or not to wear over pants or jeans. I don't most of the time. I don't like to feel like the Michelin Man.

Most quality riding gear is NOT cheap. I am still using First gear which I purchased new in 2002.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-22-2018, 04:17 PM
If you really plan on riding in 25-45 degree weather you might want to look at heated gear.

ARtraveler
10-22-2018, 04:23 PM
If you really plan on riding in 25-45 degree weather you might want to look at heated gear.

Heated gear is another good option. I find the Firstgear with the winter liners installed work just fine down to 25 or slightly colder. Past that point and my fun quotient has been reached. :roflblack:

kjog
10-22-2018, 04:44 PM
Thank you all very much. Heated gear is definitely a thought too. A friend has heated gear from fingers to toes all tied into her Spyder battery but I'm not there yet.

pegasus1300
10-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Thank you all very much. Heated gear is definitely a thought too. A friend has heated gear from fingers to toes all tied into her Spyder battery but I'm not there yet.

An AMA membership will get you a 20% discount at Safe and Warm.They make the heated gear for First Gear. BajaRon also sells the First Gear brand clothing and it is top quality. He sells at a pretty steep discount. Maybe that will help move you a little closer.

kjog
10-22-2018, 08:31 PM
Thanks. I'm moving that way.

Saluda
10-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Congrats, and welcome. Another vote for Firstgear. Love Klim but have heard mixed reviews since they were purchased.

SpyderAnn01
10-22-2018, 09:49 PM
There are so many advantages to textile gear they are waterproof, breathable and you can wear it in hot or cold weather. You want to look for “overpants” that way if you want you can take them off when you arrive at your destination. I will wear anything from shorts to long underwear under mine.

You want to find a pair that are long enough so when you are sitting on the Spyder they cover the top of your boots. I have long legs so I have trouble finding woman’s overpants that are long enough.

Glorie
12-20-2018, 05:40 PM
I use tourmaster insulated pants. And love them. Warm. Affordable. I wear my leather chaps down to 22, but not if it's going to rain or snow lol

PrairieSpyder
12-20-2018, 05:57 PM
+1 on the Klim gear.

I have 2 pair of ryding pants.

One is Olympia Expedition that matches my Olympia Expedition jacket. Wear them from early spring through late fall. But they're not waterproof and you'll need rain pants, too.

My other ones are Klim waterproof with Gore-Tex. Love these. Don't need any other.

Charlottes Web
12-20-2018, 08:53 PM
I love Klim. They're waterproof.
Chris

RenRNspins
10-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Regarding Can Am Jackets. Are they true to size ? I have been pondering over purchasing a caliber jacket for the cold weather but I can’t seem to settle on a size. I do not have the luxury to go to a store since there is not one near. Does anyone have any experience with sizing? I’ve looked at the sizing chart and have measured but still unsure. I am 5.4” and 125 lbs. Would like to wear a hoodie underneath as well. Any recommendations?

Brentc
10-18-2019, 03:20 PM
They definitely run smaller than sized, I’m normally a large, but take an xlarge in any can am gear.

ThreeWheels
10-18-2019, 03:30 PM
I'm coming late to this party, but I also recommend First Gear.

Brentc
10-18-2019, 04:48 PM
Regarding Can Am Jackets. Are they true to size ? I have been pondering over purchasing a caliber jacket for the cold weather but I can’t seem to settle on a size. I do not have the luxury to go to a store since there is not one near. Does anyone have any experience with sizing? I’ve looked at the sizing chart and have measured but still unsure. I am 5.4” and 125 lbs. Would like to wear a hoodie underneath as well. Any recommendations?
My wife is same height as you, but 140 and also preferred wearing a hoodie under the can am gear, she went with the large.

RenRNspins
10-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Thank you !!

Claire
02-12-2020, 12:56 AM
old thread I see -but didn't see freeze out gear mentioned

I discovered freeze out gear a couple of months ago. - https://www.cyclegear.com/freeze-out?query=Freeze%20out

I have helmet liner, long johns & zip up shirt. its been cold in ATL and my only ride. coming home late at night from work freeze out gear and sometimes a pair of chaps I'm toasty

Tango
02-12-2020, 08:03 AM
Check out "Revzilla", large selection of women's gear. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

www.revzilla.com

VitoNam
02-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Me, being a Minnesotan, I suggest you take at look at Aerostich textile riding gear. Most, if not all, of their gear is made in Duluth Minnesota. They sew it up, repair it if need be, and sell it right there in-house. They have an extensive sizing chart and will also sew custom sizes. As others have said, good quality riding gear is expensive. But, so are medical bills.

ARtraveler
02-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Me, being a Minnesotan, I suggest you take at look at Aerostich textile riding gear. Most, if not all, of their gear is made in Duluth Minnesota. They sew it up, repair it if need be, and sell it right there in-house. They have an extensive sizing chart and will also sew custom sizes. As others have said, good quality riding gear is expensive. But, so are medical bills.

Yes. Aerostitch has a very good rep. :yes: