PDA

View Full Version : Dead Spyder

agedbikeman
10-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Has anyone else had this happen, RT 1330 2014, started nomally, rode 2 miles parked outside my house, about 4 hours later turned on ignition, normal running lights came on but nothing else, clocks did not cycle, digital display was lit white but no digits, normal whirring noise for a few seconds, no dashboard lights, nothing, needles to say would not start. Went out in car. came back 6 hours later, put key in, everything normal, clocks cycle, display lit correctly, started,drove it, and been ok since. checked for error codes none showing, clear screen. Now worried this will happen again and I'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Any input appreciated

Alex

IGETAROUND
10-13-2018, 04:13 PM
First up, check you battery connection for clean and TIGHT. Do you keep it on a maintainer when not being driven?? Stop by the french equivilent of battery + and have them load test your battery. I'm sure others will chime in with all the majic numbers and testing that I don't know.

Good luck

Al in Kazoo

Chupaca
10-13-2018, 04:48 PM
:agree: but here's my question....did you try to start it..? if it was parked outside your house in the sun your screen may have shut down as they will do. Six hours later it would have cooled down and all is well. Thing is you can't see the screen but all is working normal behind there. If that is the case you are fine, just don't park in direct sunlight. If not do as above.....

samewok
10-13-2018, 06:00 PM
The sun will make the dash go blank

djhobin
10-13-2018, 09:00 PM
When parked I use the Safety Card. Pull it out and let it drop in front of the dash. Blocks the sun out.:yes:

agedbikeman
10-14-2018, 03:33 AM
First up, check you battery connection for clean and TIGHT. Do you keep it on a maintainer when not being driven?? Stop by the french equivilent of battery + and have them load test your battery. I'm sure others will chime in with all the majic numbers and testing that I don't know.

Good luck

Al in Kazoo

All is good with battery, new lithium few months ago, all other lights around the bike were alight and bright,
Thanks for your input.

agedbikeman
10-14-2018, 03:41 AM
:agree: but here's my question....did you try to start it..? if it was parked outside your house in the sun your screen may have shut down as they will do. Six hours later it would have cooled down and all is well. Thing is you can't see the screen but all is working normal behind there. If that is the case you are fine, just don't park in direct sunlight. If not do as above.....

Was defimately more than screen shutdown, I pushed the eco button and at least the radio should have sprung into life, yes I did try to start it. Here in the north of France, in October sun would be good if we could get it. ALL dasboard lights were out, analogue gauge hands did not spin there and back, not a sign of life anywhere except mudgauard and tail lights.

Thanks for your input

agedbikeman
10-14-2018, 03:45 AM
The sun will make the dash go blank

Never had it go blank before, only reduced to black bar top & bottom, never really gets that hot here. In the summer I do use the safety card as a sunblock, after all it has no other use.

agedbikeman
10-14-2018, 03:47 AM
When parked I use the Safety Card. Pull it out and let it drop in front of the dash. Blocks the sun out.:yes:

So do I, I was insulted by its contents so I ripped the label off and re-labelled it sun shield.
If you need a card like that you shouldn't be allowed to own a bike.

Thanks for your input

billybovine
10-14-2018, 11:13 AM
By your description it looks like relay R5 in the left fuse box failed. If it did it once it is may do it again. I would remove and replace it with a new one. Your BRP dealer should have one or very likely available from a auto parts store as well. Take it with you so you compare in the store. Not expensive.

agedbikeman
10-18-2018, 12:34 AM
By your description it looks like relay R5 in the left fuse box failed. If it did it once it is may do it again. I would remove and replace it with a new one. Your BRP dealer should have one or very likely available from a auto parts store as well. Take it with you so you compare in the store. Not expensive.

Thanks for telling me, I had an idea it could be something in the fuse box but not got round to searching the schematic yet, will check it for bad connection or tarnished contacts.
Thanks again, saved me a lot of searching.

Alex