PDA

View Full Version : Turbo and Jumping.....LOL

Firefly
10-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Sat on one today at Maggie Valley.
Not as fugly in person.
Single lugnut hubs are cool as is the rear wheel and shaft drive.

Now for some humor....

The BRP rep actually said..... there would be Ryker racing leagues next year and that ‘the kids will be taking these off jumps’. :roflblack:

I kid you not— he actually said that.

He also said that because they’ve already done a Turbo of this motor that there WILL be a turbo Ryker next year. :roflblack:

Maybe the mountain altitude was getting to him..... ;)

Pretty sure he was referring to some of the Seados that have the ace 900 that are supercharged... which is easy to do when you have access to infinite water for cooling.

Not sure about this other turbo talk.. but seems far fetched.

Chupaca
10-13-2018, 12:24 AM
Guess we'll see how sales go and if it will merit that extra investment....Will blow that "under 10,000 "...:roflblack: :popcorn:

Joel The Biker
10-13-2018, 04:30 AM
Actually the turbo has been used on their ACE engines. The current Maverick X3 has a turbocharged ACE engine making 120 hp and up to 172hp in their high performance Maverick. https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-by-side/maverick-x3/maverick-x3-turbo.html

Woodaddict
10-13-2018, 08:57 AM
At Maggie Valley, they only had 1. Saw it leave on demo ride. Couldn't even sit on it or look up close

monkeyboymorton
10-13-2018, 09:00 AM
I would have said a turbo ryker is nailed on for either next year or the year after so not far fetched at all. 100ish HP and $13000 sounds about right to me and then maybe some limited edition higer performance models for a premium further down the line.

The question I would ask is why would BRP not release a turbo if there would be sufficient interest at the price point? Why would you want to not sell a potential product? I'm not sure the 900 Ryker will tempt many F3 owners to upgrade, but I think a turbo model would.

Joel The Biker
10-13-2018, 12:54 PM
They dont want F3 owners to switch to Ryker. They want NEW riders to buy the Ryker. Switching to a Ryker would be a downgrade for an F3 owner.

blacklightning
10-13-2018, 09:23 PM
At Maggie Valley, they only had 1. Saw it leave on demo ride. Couldn't even sit on it or look up close
Sorry, I must have just missed you. The first demo guy was about to leave, when I asked the rep if I could sit on it before they left. He said yes. My F3T is set on number 4, and it is further out than the Ryker on it's tallest setting. There would definitely be some mods needed for it to fit this 250 pound , 6'-2" frame. As it sat there running, I couldn't help but notice the little fenders shaking as the bike ran. And the tires reminded me of the narrow little recaps that I used to run on my 82 fairmont when I used it to deliver mail. It will make someone happy, but just not me. I would rather wait and find me a used RS, RSS, or even an older GS.

BajaRon
10-14-2018, 01:18 PM
The question I would ask is why would BRP not release a turbo if there would be sufficient interest at the price point? Why would you want to not sell a potential product? I'm not sure the 900 Ryker will tempt many F3 owners to upgrade, but I think a turbo model would.

My guess... Marketing. Some manufacturers want to show their full hand right from the start. Other manufactures, understanding that 'Newer and Better' always generates more buzz, tend to hold some of their cards close to the vest. And I would describe BRP as the latter.

You bring out a new model (Ryker). Sure you've done marketing surveys and all the 'Experts' are telling you this or that and you think it will sell. But there is always that BIG variable called the 'Customer'. What you think is neat and innovative may not thrill the rest of the world as you thought it would. And you've got a lot invested regardless of which way it goes.

So, you start with enough to find out if, indeed, the market is ready for your product, but not so much that it will kill you if it doesn't fly. Then you have a lot of 'Upgrades' on the drawing board that you can bring out later. If you have generated the desired interest on the front end. It will increase your exposure and sales when you add something like a turbo down the road. That's how you get a first generation Ryker owner to buy a 2nd generation Ryker, building a following for your product.

The idea here is not to cut into F3 or RT sales. The idea here is to grow a younger crowd of Ryker riders that may, someday, opt for a Spyder. But even if that never happens, BRP intends to expand their market to a new group of riders. Not convert the customers they already have.

I think the Ryker will sell and BRP will accomplish what they set out to do. We'll see soon enough.

ARtraveler
10-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Adding a turbo option sounds like an extension to get the program moving ahead beyond year one.

Of course--its going to take that magic price point away. It remains to be seen how many new customers the Ryker generates. They are definitely looking for a new market.

I am not going to downgrade though. And...my racing days are also over. Might be fun to watch though. :yes:

Firefly
10-15-2018, 08:58 AM
They dont want F3 owners to switch to Ryker. They want NEW riders to buy the Ryker. Switching to a Ryker would be a downgrade for an F3 owner.

Exactly.....

Rob Rodriguez
10-15-2018, 09:39 AM

I agree this is what BRP wants but I think you'll find a lot of F3 and RS/GS owners will switch to the Ryker if their primary focus is a more lean/mean performance minded machine. Add in a turbo and the Ryker becomes the top performance Can-Am OnRoad machine. Since BRP offers the 900 engine in all their other products it makes sense to me it will be offered with a turbo in the Ryker. I personally don't see a Ryker as a step down from an F3....quite the opposite really.

I said it in another thread and I'll repeat in this one.
The Spyder line = "old man's" machine.
The Ryker line = "young mans" machine.

TheMailman
10-15-2018, 03:57 PM
I was one of the ones that got to ride it 6ft 3 tall it was a lot better fit than I thought it would be. As far as how it handled it was as good as any sport bike I have ever been on.the one that was in Maggie valley that I rode had what they called off rode tires