PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Michael

d.o.spyder-rts
10-09-2018, 11:29 PM
Looks like we're in the direct path of Michael, don't know which side or if it'll be a direct hit. I don't live on the beach or in other mandatory evacuation areas so I'll be riding it out at home. Local reports say the worst time will be from 9am to 9pm. Will be monitoring/posting as long as I have power. Dale

LeftCoast
10-10-2018, 12:17 AM
Best of luck to you, hope you stay dry.

DJFaninTN
10-10-2018, 12:46 AM
I hear ya Dale. Riding it out here on the beach but 33' above sea level. Not worried about storm surge as much as the wind. We're buttoned down tight but it's gonna be crazy.

Let me know if you need any help.

Saluda
10-10-2018, 05:34 AM
Good luck.

spyderwing57
10-10-2018, 06:04 AM
Good Luck I hope it's not as bad as they are saying.:pray:

currin20fan
10-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Stay safe!!

Bob Denman
10-10-2018, 07:01 AM
We'll be keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers... :thumbup:

But why not just leave?
Is it really worth risking your lives?

If things get really ugly: what could you do at that moment; that would make a difference?

Please be safe!

Floridian2017
10-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Be safe.

d.o.spyder-rts
10-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes. Barry, I believe you will be more in harms way on the beach-good luck to you also. Will update. Dale

Luvs2Ride
10-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Looks like we're in the direct path of Michael, don't know which side or if it'll be a direct hit. I don't live on the beach or in other mandatory evacuation areas so I'll be riding it out at home. Local reports say the worst time will be from 9am to 9pm. Will be monitoring/posting as long as I have power. Dale

Hope ya'll stay dry and safe!
Gina J

Chupaca
10-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Be safe...:pray:...it blows by with minimal effect. Lived in Fla three times and know the affect ....

Lew L
10-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Good luck man---- NO FLOODING!!!!!!

canamjhb
10-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Watching this on TV and thinking of you all in Florida. This is getting really ugly. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

DJFaninTN
10-10-2018, 11:56 AM
we pulled the eject handle at 6AM because it just kept growing and no clear path. now in Spanish Fort, AL.

my poor beach town getting hammered :shocked:

ARtraveler
10-10-2018, 01:35 PM
YES! BE SAFE. This one looks like its going to be a really bad one. To late to evac once the storm hits.

Our thoughts and :pray::pray: to all who will be affected.

Firefly
10-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Good luck!
Weathwr still decent in Maggie Valley.

Bob Denman
10-11-2018, 06:40 AM
we pulled the eject handle at 6AM because it just kept growing and no clear path. now in Spanish Fort, AL.

my poor beach town getting hammered :shocked:

Glad to hear that you're safe. Property can always be replaced: people are precious!

gkamer
10-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Of the aftermath of Hurricane Michael's path through Florida. Reminds me a lot of the video taken after the A Bombs were dropped on Japan. total devastation.

canamjhb
10-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Just saw the first pictures of the damage at Tyndall AFB. Worse than I could ever imagine. We haven't heard back from the OP yet. I imagine he is without power. Hope that is the extent of it.....:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

SNOOPY
10-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Remnants on top of us right now in Va. a little wind and a little rain. Missed us again.

Feel bad for Mexico Beach and Panama City area, looks real bad near the coast.

DJFaninTN
10-11-2018, 11:36 PM
we made it back in last night. wanted to beat the traffic plus we had power which most folks here do not have. heard a report that in Bay County 89% of the county is without power.

the worst of the worst is in Panama City and anything east and then north. Callaway, Parker, Mexico Beach were ground zero with winds of near 175mph. words just cannot even begin to express how bad it is. heard one of the head guys from FEMA say he saw Andrew, Katrina & Sandy. Hurricane Michael is much, much worse. :shocked:

the city of Lynnhaven (just north of Panama City) the mayor said Don't expect electricity for at least two months. the entire grid has to be rebuilt.

betting Dale doesn't have power. cell service is spotty at best and there is no internet there at all.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-12-2018, 02:23 AM
But why not just leave?
Is it really worth risking your lives?

If things get really ugly: what could you do at that moment; that would make a difference?
Two days after the fact but I'll comment anyway. The reason for staying isn't always stubbornness.

When I lived in Louisiana we were in the direct path of Katrina, that is until 2 am Monday when it turned to Mobile, AL. We chose to stay for several reasons. There was about 50 miles or more of land between the coast and us so I figured the storm would be attenuated somewhat by that distance. The highways were jam packed full, as were all the hotels within about 200 or 300 miles out. This was already a couple of days before we would be hit. So travel and lodging both were nigh impossible. My neighbor was widowed and a dog breeder. She had about 30 Yorkie pups and moving them out was pretty much not an option. I felt an obligation to stay close by in case she suffered significant damage. And I wanted to be there to get a tarp on the roof of my house ASAP if a tree fell on it. This last reason was pretty lame, I know.

Did I really want to stay? Hell no. Was I scared? You're damn right I was. I had never before been so scared in my life, but with all things taken into consideration I felt the best thing to do was to stay. Now, I agree. If one can expect to be clobbered by a hurricane that still is a Cat 4 or 5 when it gets to you, you better get out!

PMK
10-12-2018, 06:19 AM
we made it back in last night. wanted to beat the traffic plus we had power which most folks here do not have. heard a report that in Bay County 89% of the county is without power.

the worst of the worst is in Panama City and anything east and then north. Callaway, Parker, Mexico Beach were ground zero with winds of near 175mph. words just cannot even begin to express how bad it is. heard one of the head guys from FEMA say he saw Andrew, Katrina & Sandy. Hurricane Michael is much, much worse. :shocked:

the city of Lynnhaven (just north of Panama City) the mayor said Don't expect electricity for at least two months. the entire grid has to be rebuilt.

betting Dale doesn't have power. cell service is spotty at best and there is no internet there at all.

Having been through a few of the Florida hurricanes, and seeing the aftermath of them, including Andrew, to be worse than Andrew, while believable, is damage far beyond what most people could even consider possible anywhere or envision.

The storm has created the destruction, sadly the crooks, including some within the insurance industry are about to capitlize on this.

All the best as you go forward.

d.o.spyder-rts
11-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Hi, all!! I'm able to post because I have access to the internet-had to go to Georgia to see my mom and I'm connected to my brother's wi-fi. We lost power shortly after my 8:02 am post. We made it thru the storm ok (including our 4 cats). I believe we were in the eye wall the entire time-there was no storm lull. We were luckier than most, we have a home to live in. It sustained some damage but is livable. There were a couple of houses around the corner on my street that are totally destroyed. There is some good news, my spyder made it thru with only a couple of scratches. Will try and update more later. Dale

canamjhb
11-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the update. Very lengthy rebuilding process. Glad you're safe

DJFaninTN
11-26-2018, 09:16 PM
Hi, all!! I'm able to post because I have access to the internet-had to go to Georgia to see my mom and I'm connected to my brother's wi-fi. We lost power shortly after my 8:02 am post. We made it thru the storm ok (including our 4 cats). I believe we were in the eye wall the entire time-there was no storm lull. We were luckier than most, we have a home to live in. It sustained some damage but is livable. There were a couple of houses around the corner on my street that are totally destroyed. There is some good news, my spyder made it thru with only a couple of scratches. Will try and update more later. Dale

Hey Dale,

Glad you made it through the storm. Been wondering about you and I know internet in Panama City is spotty at best.

Work has me over there several times a week so I've seen it first hand. It's bad but sloooooooowly getting better. It's going to take several years to get back to normal if it ever does at all. The entire landscape has changed for many, many years.

Saluda
11-26-2018, 09:22 PM
Good news !