PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure and warming up

JimH
10-09-2018, 11:48 AM
I read in my manual the recommended from tire pressure is 14 PSI cold, and back is 26 PSI cold. How long does it take a tire to warm up and how much does that increase the pressure? How often should you check you tire pressure?

Thanks,
Jim

ARtraveler
10-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Most use 16 and 28 psi on the OEM Kendas.

I have gone to 26 psi on the rear--because as they warm up, the rear tires "balloon" a little bit causing the center tire wear. I have experienced much less center tire wear with the 26.

Docster
10-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Search the subject and you'll find dozens/hundreds of responses. Some just opinions, some science based. A little research and you'll learn who are the real experts

JayBros
10-09-2018, 01:48 PM
I read in my manual the recommended from tire pressure is 14 PSI cold, and back is 26 PSI cold. How long does it take a tire to warm up and how much does that increase the pressure? How often should you check you tire pressure?

Year and model of your Spyder? regarding how long it takes to "warm up" a tire and how much it increases the pressure depends on a lot of variables, ambient temperature, road surface and temperature, and, most important, how aggressively you ride to warm them up. That's why the pressure should always be checked cold.

Peteoz
10-09-2018, 04:54 PM
As JayBros says, there are a lot of variables at play, but according to my FOBO display my F3-L, running Kuhmos all round at 18psi, takes about 40 minutes to increase to 21psi, travelling at around 50-70mph, on a 70f day. The pressures then stay around that 21psi figure.

Pete

Mazo EMS2
10-09-2018, 05:12 PM
As JayBros says, there are a lot of variables at play, but according to my FOBO display my F3-L, running Kuhmos all round at 18psi, takes about 40 minutes to increase to 21psi, travelling at around 50-70mph, on a 70f day. The pressures then stay around that 21psi figure.

Pete

Interesting...I run all 3 tires at 19psi and really like the way it rides and handles.