PDA

View Full Version : Positive comments about Spyders

south GA Farm Boy
10-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Guys,
We need some good positives Threads about Spyders put on this site sometimes! Each time I get on it, everyone has problems, and bashing occurs about their Spyder or BRP. Some of you Guys with high mileage on them and with few problems, please let us know! New people reading our site will not want to buy a Spyder after seeing all the bad problems we are writing about on here! Hopefully we can have a blend of some good and some of the bad! I am not bashing anyone, because I have ask for help several times and all of you came to my rescue! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me and others!

ARtraveler
10-07-2018, 01:51 PM
It is the nature of the beast. Most dedicated websites will have more complaints about the product across the board. Those with no problems--seem to have no reason to post.

I have had five spyders, was the first customer to buy one here in AK. Have not put more than 36K on any of them--due to trade off
itis. 2014 was the end of that. I do have 140,000 plus miles on all combined. NEVER a major problem. All bought from the same dealer. The satisfaction has been up and down.

Alaska now has NO selling dealer. They say they will work on them for the next two years. If I stay here, I will have to get out of Spyder ownership. I am not skilled enough to maintain or fix.

So here, you have a little good, and a little bad. Again. :thumbup:

south GA Farm Boy
10-07-2018, 02:04 PM
It is the nature of the beast. Most dedicated websites will have more complaints about the product across the board. Those with no problems--seem to have no reason to post.

I have had five spyders, was the first customer to buy one here in AK. Have not put more than 36K on any of them--due to trade off
itis. 2014 was the end of that. I do have 140,000 plus miles on all combined. NEVER a major problem. All bought from the same dealer. The satisfaction has been up and down.

Alaska now has NO selling dealer. They say they will work on them for the next two years. If I stay here, I will have to get out of Spyder ownership. I am not skilled enough to maintain or fix.

So here, you have a little good, and a little bad. Again. :thumbup:

Thanks!!!!

Bfromla
10-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Gotta say bashing may be bit harsh (moderator removes those accordingly), I may just be wrong (often am) but the complaints I read & or have posted are more for awareness :dontknow:. Some dealers become targets after blatantly treating a customer poorly & as a spyder community we support our people :thumbup: & the dealers that treat us right.
Aggravation with tires or the selection of preferred oil does pop up often:bdh: some in jest some just getting to know, the farkle threads or trips & routes hopefully stand out more.
Well to the right people, someone (bad mood or experience) looking for bad that's bout all they can see & they don't to come poison us. So Miles of smiles ahead:riding:
next up : SPYDERS IN THE HILLS:yes::clap::bbq::firstplace:

Big F
10-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Guys,
We need some good positives Threads about Spyders put on this site sometimes! Each time I get on it, everyone has problems, and bashing occurs about their Spyder or BRP. Some of you Guys with high mileage on them and with few problems, please let us know! New people reading our site will not want to buy a Spyder after seeing all the bad problems we are writing about on here! Hopefully we can have a blend of some good and some of the bad! I am not bashing anyone, because I have ask for help several times and all of you came to my rescue! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me and others!

good comment. I'm on my 4th Spyder (2018 RT Limited) and nothing but good things to say about all of the units I have had. they are a great riding machine. my saddle mate and I ride whenever possible and we also are the co-founders of NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) with 80+ members...
BIG F

amkrat
10-07-2018, 05:59 PM
I was glad to see this post. It gives me the opportunity to heap some praise on my dealer, Edwards Motorsports in Council Bluffs Iowa. My buying and service experience there has been "top-Notch". Justin Carter in Sales exceeded my expectations in trade negotiations and securing the deal. He has continued to maintain contact with me making sure that I am satisfied with my purchase. LJay Kruse, the service manager has always treated me with fairness, friendliness, and honesty. I had a downshifting issue like others have had on this site, and he made sure that just as soon as the replacement parts became available, he was on the phone to me setting up the appointment to get the job done. His technician did a great job of getting me back on the road quickly. It shifts better now than it ever did. I believe that they can be as frustrated as we are sometimes when dealing with BRP and their quirky parts distribution and customer service. I am happy with my Spyder (it is my second one after years of Harley ownership in between), and I am equally happy with my Can-Am dealership. I hope most of you are too. One last thing. When I go into their dealership, they recognize me, and greet my by name. I think that is super customer service.

Petrom714
10-07-2018, 06:09 PM
due to a mild disability, could never ride a bike, moped, etc. , (ok with caged) this 8 month old spyder has given me the ability for the first time in my life to be with the wind in my face, sun warmth all around, and the thrill of open road--today got over to the beach on an incredibly warm october day in the northeast--so far so good and bless bombadier, imotorsports, and all you good informative folks who have been educating me for about 3 years now--

Guys,

asp125
10-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Our 08 GS has never needed a laser alignment and doesn't exhibit abnormal tire wear, it has never gone into limp mode, and other than a dead battery, rock thru the belt (even with the belt guard), and leaky exhaust gasket, it has never left us stranded.

gerald37
10-07-2018, 07:10 PM
I have had my 2015 Spyder RT now for a little over one year. I really enjoy riding it. Have been riding motorcycles for 63 years. It had 10,000 miles on it when I purchased it and now have about 20,000 miles on it. Only problem I have had was the DRESS modular which I changed out myself. I have replaced the tires with car tires and replace the sway bar. Other than that I have just did the regular service myself. My Spyder has never been in a dealers shop anywhere. I don't even know where I would take it if I had a problem. It runs and handles great.

Schlic
10-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Just traded in my 2013 RT Limited (bought new) 2+ months ago for a 2017 F3 Limited (new off showroom). The RTL, despite all the negative comments about that year's issues, ran like a champ for 5 years (34,000 miles). Only a few minor concerns along the way. My dealer, Holzhauer Pro Motorsports, in Nashville, IL, has always taken care of me and treated me fairly, to the point that after looking at other dealers, I traded the 13 in for the 2017 F3L at Holzhauer . Thanks to Rick, Service Manager, and Cody, Technician, issues and service have almost always been handled properly. Two things I'll miss with that bike is the high RPM's and the electric windshield.
The 2017 F3 Limited is an awesome machine, although different in some respects. Already have 2,500 miles on it and tons of farkles (more waiting to be put on). I look forward to another 5+ years with this new bike and have all the confidence that it will perform as well, or better, than my 2013 RTL. :clap::clap:

safecracker
10-07-2018, 08:09 PM
The wife and i have truly enjoyed our Spyder. We have had a few problems, nothing has left us stranded. We get on it and ride. As i am typing this we are on a trip exploring the White Mountains and up state Vermont. 62,000 miles and counting.....:yes::yes::yes:

cptjam
10-07-2018, 09:15 PM
These are the fountain of youth! We meet people every day who ride Spyders, who are 60,70,80 years old! Wind therapy! I can’t say enough good things about these! There are no better three wheel roadsters.

Navydad
10-07-2018, 09:30 PM
We bought a 2015 base model RT new in January of 2017. We now have 24,000 trouble free miles on it. 7JU-Rock shield, car tires, Doc's tensioner, and xm radio are the added items. I have more than one bike, but the Spyder is our two up touring mount. My dealer is Honda, Suzuki, Can Am of Jackson, Ohio and I am satisfied with them although they rarely see me because I have always performed maintenance on my own machines and I work on my own Spyder as well.

Lew L
10-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Our 2014 RTS has been trouble free other that poor dealer prep( which was promptly taken care of). Like others, it doesn't see the dealer as I too do my own maintenance ( just did the yearly oil and filter service in preparation for winter storage)

Lew L

joebryanjr
10-08-2018, 05:48 AM
I have a 2014 RTSS form CowtownUSA in Cuba, MO. I just turned 17K mi.
Spyder has been great, dealer even better.
One of the best decisions I ever made.

Biscuit
10-08-2018, 07:05 AM
I have been riding since 1970 and I ride pretty much every day. Current bike is a 2017 RTL that I bought with 60 miles on it last December. I purchased the bike after putting a bunch of miles on a gold wing. I absolutely love the Spyder. It may not ride like a traditional bike but it is defiantly safer. I hit a deer at 50 mph on June 6th and was able to ride the bike home. I couldn't ride it for 2 months during the rebuilding process and the only injury I sustained was a torn rotator cuff the will be repaired in a couple of weeks. Had I been on the gold wing I would have likely been killed.

Rod

Pirate looks at --
10-08-2018, 09:02 AM
We just turned 60,000 miles on our 13 RT Limited, and we are close to 30,000 miles on the F3L. We have not had any significant issues with either machine, just one little wear and tear issue at 55,000 on the RT. Oh and we have a great dealer, Elk Grove Power Sports!:yes:

easysuper
10-08-2018, 09:55 AM
We have had 4 RTLs including the 2014 and 2016 we are now riding , our first Spyder was a 2013 RTL and we put 35,000 miles on it the first year and the only trouble was out of the gate a bad throttle assembly which was replaced under warranty. I had a sensor that was covered in mud and road git on my 2014 that sent it into limp-mode, but other than that we have had nearly 100,000 combined miles of trouble free riding. More often than not, I'm pulling a 430 lb. pop up tent trailer and still have no issues .
After I retire this winter we are looking forward to some serious riding this spring and summer.

Road-Kill
10-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Some of you Guys with high mileage on them and with few problems
Why not say "NO" problems.
Why is that when people ride a lot they are expected to have problems.
I had over 31,000 trouble free miles till I was towed.:yikes:
I haven't had any other problems since then...…….CUZ MY BIKE IS STILL IN THE FRIGGIN SHOP!nojoke

I'm not expecting another mechanical failure......CUZ I CANT RIDE A BIKE THATS BEING FRIGGIN REPAIRED:banghead:

Guys,

sandeejs
10-08-2018, 10:19 AM
I love riding my Spyder. If not raining and streets are clear, I ride for most errands as well as some long trips. I'd still be riding my 2010 RT if I hadn't had a crash. Now piling up miles on my 2016RT-L. Really like the semi-automatic feature. Love the great brakes!
~Sandee~

strykerAKAmack
10-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Been 10 years off bikes due to injury ,
Couldn't throw a leg over 2 wheels any longer nor worry bout balancing at a stop .
Picked up 2018 F3-S manual and couldn't be happier to be back in the wind .
Only a month in , 2500 miles up and no complaints at all .
Did the Baja ron bar and laser alignment up at Spyderquest ,
which was a great induction to the spyder tribe .
added the brake pedal mod from roadsterrenovations , so basically no lift
to engage brake pedal . Just need to add the isci handbrake conversion
and l'll be set .

Definitely an attention getter :) nothing but positive reactions from the
non riding population , Get way more waves back from Harley riders
than ever did on my Sportbike ,{still wearing the same Aerostitch from way back when} even .

south GA Farm Boy
10-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Guys,
Thanks for all the positive comments, and successfully miles you have ridden your Spyders! Hope some of the people visiting our site had the opportunity to see good things are happening with Spyders! I appreciate all of you!

honda
10-08-2018, 11:34 AM
I bought my 7 th in August . Only service and tires have been done on all the previous .:ohyea:

Road-Kill
10-08-2018, 11:43 AM
I'm so happy you have achieved that warm fuzzy feeling as will I when my bike is back from being repaired.:roflblack:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-08-2018, 03:31 PM
:spyder2:'S help keep down the annoying insect population

aHermit
10-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Having ascended Pikes Peak more times than I remember over the past 59 years, by car, rail, and on foot, I finally took the opportunity to travel the Pikes Peak Highway on my 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 a couple of weeks ago. Without a doubt, this was the ride of my lifetime. I could not stress enough what a fantastic experience it was, and (in my humble opinion at least) the best way to travel to the summit. The sky was that intense blue, so characteristic of Colorado, and not a cloud in the sky. There was a very gentle breeze and the temperatures were mild at the base and at the summit. The Aspen trees had already changed to a brilliant yellow, providing a dramatic contrast to the deep green conifers. Plenty of switchbacks and hairpin curves kept things interesting. I soon found that I enjoyed manually operating the semi-automatic transmission in anticipation of changes in the road characteristics, especially when downshifting on the descent. It sounds cliche to say I felt "at one with the road", but that is the best way to describe my experience. The ride was thrilling, yet I felt very safe relying on my Spyder's three wheels and the technology that underlies it. Upon arriving at the summit house, I enjoyed one of their "world famous donuts", a cup of hot chocolate, and the view of America that inspired Katherine Lee Bate to pen the lyrics of "America The Beautiful" in 1895. It would be difficult to have a more positive experience on a motorcycle than that, but it was even more-so on my Spyder.

NuttyBuckeye
10-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Great thread. Only complaint so far is not having enough hours in the day to ride. I need to retire. Also, need to wash the beast, but that’s on me not BRP.

I’ve lurked on this forum a long while before finally taking the plunge. I can’t plan on never having issues, but not gonna worry about it either.

Rick H.
10-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Some of you Guys with high mileage on them and with few problems

Why not say "NO" problems.
Why is that when people ride a lot they are expected to have problems.
I had over 31,000 trouble free miles till I was towed.:yikes:
I haven't had any other problems since then...…….CUZ MY BIKE IS STILL IN THE FRIGGIN SHOP!nojoke

I'm not expecting another mechanical failure......CUZ I CANT RIDE A BIKE THATS BEING FRIGGIN REPAIRED:banghead:

Okay Road-kill: I'll bite because you are the only one bolstering a real complaint in this thread. Pray tell what is exactly wrong with your Spyder to create such discourse and how long has the dealer had your machine?

Rick H.

Gbham
10-09-2018, 05:27 AM
I have had 2016 RTS couple years now, 13k miles, no problems whatsoever. Well, one minor one, the rear trunk was hard to latch. Took it to Marine World, Wichita, Kansas, where I purchased it new and they not only fixed the trunk but adjusted every lid on the machine. They have always given me great service and go out of their way to accommodate me. I have had both oil changes done there and had a new tire put on the rear.

wyliec
10-09-2018, 06:22 AM
I got that warm fuzzy feeling when I traded in my 2008 Spyder (purchased new) for a 2018 Jeep Wrangler, and was given $5000 trade in a few weeks back. How's that for positivity?

Road-Kill
10-09-2018, 07:38 AM
I bought my F3s new last year.
So far I have 31,500 miles on it as I ride a lot.
My front sprocket blew last year and had it replaced.
A few days ago while on a ride it blew again requiring a tow.
Currently my F3s sits at my dealer awaiting its return.
Two epic failures in less then two years...………..yup, I'm an unhappy camper.

Okay Road-kill: I'll bite because you are the only one bolstering a real complaint in this thread. Pray tell what is exactly wrong with your Spyder to create such discourse and how long has the dealer had your machine?

Rick H.

Rick H.
10-09-2018, 08:00 PM

I fully understand your unhappiness, but have they given your any reason for the two failures? Is it the sprockets themselves failing or the bolts holding them in place or?

Rick H.

Road-Kill
10-10-2018, 02:09 PM
There are several threads associated with the notorious "sprocket failure".
I could care less why the sprockets are failing.
I just know that when they do fail you lose 100% of power in about 2 seconds.
That makes it the equivalent of being sold MC tires that have a high incidence of going flat WHILE YOU ARE RIDING.
So I'm not a happy camper because I bought an expensive machine sold as a "touring" bike and not a cafι racer.

I fully understand your unhappiness, but have they given your any reason for the two failures? Is it the sprockets themselves failing or the bolts holding them in place or?

Rick H.

Centurion
10-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Wow, so the "positive comments" thread has quickly gone negative, lol. I currently own two Spyders and have owned a total of 3 over the last 4 plus years. All three bikes were or are great machines that perform well and deliver many, many enjoyable and carefree miles. Owning a Spyder has changed my wife's and my life for the better and we cant imagine not having them. Ok, maybe there have been a few issues but, we dealt with them, and in our case, BRP always supported their product. Therefore, as proud Spyder owners, we speak positively about BRP, the Can Am family, and our extended Spyder family to the constant interest that we receive while riding. I am very sorry that others have experienced problems and wish them well in seeking an acceptable remedy. However, I think the biggest threat to growing our Spyder community in the future is from the very vocal, and relentless, minority of owners who have had problems and not the majority of us who are out there having a blast! See you all on the open road!

capt.jim
10-10-2018, 08:52 PM
I still have my 08 Premier Edition GS with 53,000, only replaced the DPS and an $12 oil sender.
Also a 15 F3S with 34,000 miles.
Neither have been to the dealer for anything, knock on wood.
I feel positive but fortunate also.

Two cats
10-11-2018, 07:47 AM
We have a 2011 RT. Sold our 2003 honda goldwing and bought the spyder a few years ago and never looked back. We really have had only a couple of issues and that was the drive belt went bad at 41,000 miles and a fouled out spark plug. Other than regular maintenance we are really happy with the bike. If it blows up today I can say I got my money's worth out of it. Then go get another one to replace it. I thought they we the ugliest things on the road till I test drove one and just had to get an RT. There's a lemon in every basket of oranges at times, You just hope for the best when you buy something at times and deal with it when the time comes. Happy Trails To All.

Road-Kill
10-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Both Motorcycle Consumer News and Consumer Reports both have Can-Am & Harley Davidson has dead last in reliability (year after year!). This was even a topic of discussion on a previous thread. Everything depends on how much you ride, your riding style and how your machine is maintained. Those who speak up about Spyder issues are not the "biggest threat".....we are the voice that gets Can-Am to address both the reliability issues and creature comforts we enjoy. Unlike you, I will let BRP know that they have two choices, either produce a quality product or lose me as a customer. My mechanic called me yesterday to let me know he has ordered another front sprocket and even has BRP tech on the phone as well. He wants to keep me as a customer and so should BRP. Also note that we are not a "minority" of owners, most owners both on this site as well as people I personally know (even from this site) have had "problems". I laugh when Spyder owners say they "never" had a problem yet after a few minutes of conversation they say they were once towed, coolant leaks, sensor issues, sprocket failures etc. Funny how that always comes out the mouths of those who say they "never" had any problem. As previously stated, 31,500 miles and the "only" issues I've had have been two front sprocket failures (and a tow). So people like you can thank people like me for helping to light the fire under BRPs *ss.

Wow, so the "positive comments" thread has quickly gone negative, lol. I currently own two Spyders and have owned a total of 3 over the last 4 plus years. All three bikes were or are great machines that perform well and deliver many, many enjoyable and carefree miles. Owning a Spyder has changed my wife's and my life for the better and we cant imagine not having them. Ok, maybe there have been a few issues but, we dealt with them, and in our case, BRP always supported their product. Therefore, as proud Spyder owners, we speak positively about BRP, the Can Am family, and our extended Spyder family to the constant interest that we receive while riding. I am very sorry that others have experienced problems and wish them well in seeking an acceptable remedy. However, I think the biggest threat to growing our Spyder community in the future is from the very vocal, and relentless, minority of owners who have had problems and not the majority of us who are out there having a blast! See you all on the open road!

aHermit
10-11-2018, 09:00 AM

I also have had a few problems with my Spyder, but the good times have overshadowed the performance problems, so I continue to ride. Current problems aside and having ridden 31,500 miles on your Spyder in the last year, I suspect you have had some really positive experiences on
your F3. Perhaps you could share some of those with us.

Road-Kill
10-11-2018, 09:18 AM
If it wasn't for those two failures I would have been having a blast on my Spyder.
If it wasn't for those two failures I would be telling everyone they should consider buying a Spyder.
Because of those two failures...………….

I also have had a few problems with my Spyder, but the good times have overshadowed the performance problems, so I continue to ride. Current problems aside and having ridden 31,500 miles on your Spyder in the last year, I suspect you have had some really positive experiences on
your F3. Perhaps you could share some of those with us.

Fatcycledaddy
10-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Both Motorcycle Consumer News and Consumer Reports both have Can-Am & Harley Davidson has dead last in reliability (year after year!). This was even a topic of discussion on a previous thread. Everything depends on how much you ride, your riding style and how your machine is maintained. Those who speak up about Spyder issues are not the "biggest threat".....we are the voice that gets Can-Am to address both the reliability issues and creature comforts we enjoy. Unlike you, I will let BRP know that they have two choices, either produce a quality product or lose me as a customer. My mechanic called me yesterday to let me know he has ordered another front sprocket and even has BRP tech on the phone as well. He wants to keep me as a customer and so should BRP. Also note that we are not a "minority" of owners, most owners both on this site as well as people I personally know (even from this site) have had "problems". I laugh when Spyder owners say they "never" had a problem yet after a few minutes of conversation they say they were once towed, coolant leaks, sensor issues, sprocket failures etc. Funny how that always comes out the mouths of those who say they "never" had any problem. As previously stated, 31,500 miles and the "only" issues I've had have been two front sprocket failures (and a tow). So people like you can thank people like me for helping to light the fire under BRPs *ss.

Well I have NEVER been towed, have NEVER been stranded, and LOVE the dependability of my 2015 RTL in 35000 miles.
Does that mean I have never had a problem, NO. I had to have an air compressor replaced, but I had it done under warranty in the off season. I unplugged the dump valve, aired up the rear bag, and rode for a few weeks with a manual air ride.
I had a leak in the frunk and had to have the seal replaced under warranty also.

So, has my Spyder been trouble free? the answer would be NO, but neither has any other motorized vehicle or any other product I have owned.
Has it been dependable? Absolutely, I am not afraid to jump on it and ride it anywhere. In fact will be doing that this coming riding season to remote places in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado.
Does that mean that other Spyders might not have or be problems? NO, sometimes things are built that just do not work, but that doesn't mean that all the others do or will have problems just because one does.

I had a Ford Ranger that was in the shop more than it was out, but yet the ranger was said to be one of the most dependable small trucks on the road. I disagreed because mine was a lemon, but that doesn't mean all of them were. I did not try to discourage others from buying one because of my experience, I knew that the normal was not what I had occur.

The problem that I see is that if all we do is tell everyone about the negative experiences that we have, and never let anyone tell of the positive experiences they have had without the negative comments being added back in, we are spoiling future buyers, limiting sales, thus lessening the companies chances of survival.

spyderCodes
10-11-2018, 02:35 PM
If you don't like the Spyder or Spyderfolk then, in my humble opinion, you don't know Spyders.

The demographic, that sadly BRP seems to want to run away from. is pretty homogeneous.
We are a group of folks that like it or not are linked by our common history.

And we linked by a common desire to wrench out the most of what life has to offer.
We are a motorsports generation.

Hot Rods, DIY, and active enough to want to enjoy the sheer joy of a solid twist on the throttle.

Yep, Spyders have brought us to together and it's our common heritage that keeps us together,

Oh, and BTW I wouldn't give a second thought to the reliability or dependability of my Spyder to hop on and travel for a good meal or a good time anywhere.

gerald37
10-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Well I have NEVER been towed, have NEVER been stranded, and LOVE the dependability of my 2015 RTL in 35000 miles.
Does that mean I have never had a problem, NO. I had to have an air compressor replaced, but I had it done under warranty in the off season. I unplugged the dump valve, aired up the rear bag, and rode for a few weeks with a manual air ride.
I had a leak in the frunk and had to have the seal replaced under warranty also.

So, has my Spyder been trouble free? the answer would be NO, but neither has any other motorized vehicle or any other product I have owned.
Has it been dependable? Absolutely, I am not afraid to jump on it and ride it anywhere. In fact will be doing that this coming riding season to remote places in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado.
Does that mean that other Spyders might not have or be problems? NO, sometimes things are built that just do not work, but that doesn't mean that all the others do or will have problems just because one does.

I had a Ford Ranger that was in the shop more than it was out, but yet the ranger was said to be one of the most dependable small trucks on the road. I disagreed because mine was a lemon, but that doesn't mean all of them were. I did not try to discourage others from buying one because of my experience, I knew that the normal was not what I had occur.

The problem that I see is that if all we do is tell everyone about the negative experiences that we have, and never let anyone tell of the positive experiences they have had without the negative comments being added back in, we are spoiling future buyers, limiting sales, thus lessening the companies chances of survival.
I agree with everything you have quoted. I also have a 2015 RT which I purchased with 10,000 miles with no warranty. I now have about 30,000 miles on it. Again I have had minor problems which I have taken care of myself. I would not be afraid to take off with it for anywhere. It runs great never has ever let me down. I plan to ride it another year and will probably have 50,000 miles on it and will trade it for a new one and someone will get a good Spyder for many more miles.

AeroPilot
10-11-2018, 09:16 PM
My wifes 2011 RT SM5 got us started and logged 76000 miles before we became a 2 spyder family with her 15 RTS and shortly thereafter my 15 base RT both SE6s. She now has her 16 FE3T with 39000 mi and my base RT has 50000 mi. My RT has been towed to the shop twice and although the wiring harness was replaced last November and the DESS module replaced this September we just finished our Trip to Tucson and back without trepidation.

Driving over from Albuquerque we did however log the last 20 miles in slushy snow getting into Show Low AZ and didnt freeze to death. The next day I blew a tire when I hit a 6" rock that washed down to the road in a driving cloudburst south of Show Low. The RT was stable on the blown tire and I was able to roll on the flat for another couple of miles until I found a wide spot to pull over safely. I appreciate that the RT kept us safe and that although it took another day back in Show Low to get new tires for the front, we were able to complete our trip to Tucson and back.

Never an engine or driveline problem, just happy for the days in the wind.

Road-Kill
10-12-2018, 07:46 AM
I'm happy that everyone loves their mechanical failures.
I also have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that Can-Am is dead last in reliability as per both MCM & CR.
I'm ecstatic that people think mechanical failure and reliability are the same thing. :roflblack:
To think the "demographic" (code for elderly) is being "threatened" ……..by the 60+ crowd.....is wonderful.:banghead:
The last thing the dinosaurs need are a younger generation enjoying themselves as well. :yikes:

If you don't like the Spyder or Spyderfolk then, in my humble opinion, you don't know Spyders.

The demographic, that sadly BRP seems to want to run away from. is pretty homogeneous.
We are a group of folks that like it or not are linked by our common history.

And we linked by a common desire to wrench out the most of what life has to offer.
We are a motorsports generation.

Hot Rods, DIY, and active enough to want to enjoy the sheer joy of a solid twist on the throttle.

Yep, Spyders have brought us to together and it's our common heritage that keeps us together,

Oh, and BTW I wouldn't give a second thought to the reliability or dependability of my Spyder to hop on and travel for a good meal or a good time anywhere.

My wifes 2011 RT SM5 got us started and logged 76000 miles before we became a 2 spyder family with her 15 RTS and shortly thereafter my 15 base RT both SE6s. She now has her 16 FE3T with 39000 mi and my base RT has 50000 mi. My RT has been towed to the shop twice and although the wiring harness was replaced last November and the DESS module replaced this September we just finished our Trip to Tucson and back without trepidation.

Driving over from Albuquerque we did however log the last 20 miles in slushy snow getting into Show Low AZ and didnt freeze to death. The next day I blew a tire when I hit a 6" rock that washed down to the road in a driving cloudburst south of Show Low. The RT was stable on the blown tire and I was able to roll on the flat for another couple of miles until I found a wide spot to pull over safely. I appreciate that the RT kept us safe and that although it took another day back in Show Low to get new tires for the front, we were able to complete our trip to Tucson and back.

Never an engine or driveline problem, just happy for the days in the wind.

C. Lee
10-12-2018, 08:03 AM
I noticed this also and it kept me from pulling the trigger for awhile. I finally did buy my RTL and have put a lot of trouble free miles on it so far. I should have purchased it a long time ago when I first started looking at them, instead I waited almost 2 years. Spyders aren't perfect but it is far better then the bike I was riding. I love it, my wife loves it so there's nothing else to say at this point. Chris

Road-Kill
10-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I agree.
I waited almost 6 months after my test ride.
Can-Am was as new as seeing the F3s for the first time.
I do not regret buying my F3s as this bike has caused me to ride a lot more.
I'm getting my bike back either today or Monday and plan on riding through the winter till snow/ice says no.
I'm still going to beat up Can-Am till they correct the flaws though.
My thoughts.

I noticed this also and it kept me from pulling the trigger for awhile. I finally did buy my RTL and have put a lot of trouble free miles on it so far. I should have purchased it a long time ago when I first started looking at them, instead I waited almost 2 years. Spyders aren't perfect but it is far better then the bike I was riding. I love it, my wife loves it so there's nothing else to say at this point. Chris

aHermit
10-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Guys,

I appreciate your attempt to elicit positive comments about our Spyders over concern about what new or potential owners may think after reading many of the postings on this site. Perhaps they will learn as much about Spyder owners from this thread, and other threads, as they will learn about Spyders themselves. Clearly, there are those for whom the "glass is full" (i.e., they never had a problem with their Spyder and they love it). It appears some owners are "the glass is half full" types, willing to overlook a few mechanical issue and enjoy their machines in spite of a few flaws. Still others appear to be "the glass is half empty" types, perhaps seeking support in their grievance(s) from others with similar problems (i.e., "misery loves company"); not to imply their grievances are in any way unjustified, it's just their way of dealing with their frustrations. And, I suspect a very few may be "the glass is completely empty" types who have allowed one or more serious problems with their Spyder to negatively color their opinion of Spyders in general, or perhaps of the manufacturer. In a few instances, I have read these folks sell their Spyder and move on.

I don't know if the glass is half full or half empty. I just want to know whether or not the "glass" is, in reality, a specimen cup (i.e., did I really get what I thought I was getting). To that end, positive and negative postings both serve their purposes helping all of us sort it out. We will just have to trust the new owners or prospective owners to have the intelligence to figure it out for themselves.

You might consider reposting this thread as a request for only positive comments and see if that works out any better. I hope you do.

Cleg
10-12-2018, 03:59 PM
I am on the third RTL, 2012 &2-15s. Had 37000 on the 12 and really wanted the triple. That and the color made the deal. Nary an issue with #1😇. #2, well some over zealous cager took care of the Special Series. #3 is also a 15. 24000 mi and again only a minor issue, the air pump died. 😤. They all have been great and should something happen to #3 or I get the itch to buy there will be #4!!!! Great ride to say the least 😄🏕I am!!!

bikerbillone
10-14-2018, 06:34 PM

And the bike you were riding?

Rick H.
10-15-2018, 06:41 PM
I'm happy that everyone loves their mechanical failures.
I also have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that Can-Am is dead last in reliability as per both MCM & CR.
I'm ecstatic that people think mechanical failure and reliability are the same thing. :roflblack:
To think the "demographic" (code for elderly) is being "threatened" ……..by the 60+ crowd.....is wonderful.:banghead:
The last thing the dinosaurs need are a younger generation enjoying themselves as well. :yikes:

Ya know Road Kill I don't think it is a matter of anyone enjoying their break downs on a Spyder and I certainly can't speak to it as I don't own a Spyder. In fact today I stopped at the nearest Spyder dealer and looked at the left over RT's they have on sale. I like the grey dark version, but something in the back of my mind just won't let me pull the trigger and buy one while they are on sale. It could be your comments, which are quite vocal, or other issues I have read about. I am a confirmed BMW owner who came from Harley. I have had 5 BMW's and over 12 new Harleys before the Beemers. Almost every one of my bikes has at some point required going back to the shop for something, but only one broke down on me and left me stranded. That was a 2002 Road Glide that made it about 14 miles from the dealership before it broke down due to a bad stator. That Road Glide, although it was the nicest Harley I ever owned was also the last I would ever own. It listed for about 15K and after I got done putting another 5K into it to turn it into a Road Glide Ultra, which they didn't make back then, I tried to trade it in a year and a half later and could only get 14.5K on trade. Bye-Bye Harley along with their crap about 10 cents on every dollar back on accessories at trade-in time.

Went over to the Dark Side and bought a BMW 1200LT and switched to the K1600 series and they have made great strides in refining that bike since my first one in 2012. Unfortunately for me K1600's don't bring back a lot of trade-in value in my area, so switching to a Spyder RT is going to be a costly affair. The saving grace is that the sale price now offered on Spyder's makes up for some of the monetary shock. Even with the savings I am having a hard time convincing myself that a Spyder is a worthwhile purchase. I have read about the dreaded DESS issues and a few other glitches and actually making the switch is difficult for me. Reliability aside on a Spyder, the lack of horsepower concerns me as my K1600 pushes out quite a bit more, but I almost never use it which is rather sad. In retrospect though I have to ask myself if I really need that much horsepower at 67 years old? Part of me says yes and part says no, not anymore. But will I miss it on a Spyder? I don't know....decisions, decisions. Your posts certainly don't make my decisions any easier. So in some respects you have accomplished one of your underlying goals of keeping potential customers away from buying a Spyder.

I have a few more days to think this through and hopefully I will make the right call for me. From a personal standpoint though if I suffered two similar breakdowns on my K1600 I would certainly find a common thread as to what is taking place. If a drive belt pulley or bolts are breaking there has to be a reason and just replacing the parts and waiting for it to break again isn't repairing the underlying problem. So all I can say is good luck finding the real cause of your pulley problem and quite possibly you saved me from making a decision I may regret later on.

Rick H.

stmike 1800
10-16-2018, 06:04 AM
I have had bad belt vibration since day one .I think i have it fixed now ,with the help of fellow spyder lovers .THANKS
I got the handling better by adjusting the toe in .
Can not use the the BRP connect ,as i refuse to buy an expensive phone to make things work that should have come standard.
The radio is a big fail ,very poor reception ,and can not hear it at speeds.

Now to the good things.
The wife is more comfy on as a passenger than any bike i have owned ( and i have owned tons of bikes ).
I have never dropped it ,thats a big plus.
Never had a break down .
10000 km of close to trouble free miles .

At my age this bike will be my last ,hope to not have to much problems on the way .

2018 rtl dark

Road-Kill
10-16-2018, 07:49 AM
I like to keep things real.
Every bike I have owned in the last 30+ years has had issues with my Harley Ultra being by far the worst.
My Spyder F3s is coming in as 2nd place winner in lack of reliability.
I'm not a salesman nor do I wish to be.
If you buy a Spyder (or any bike) you should know EXACTLY what you are walking into.
I knew I was walking away from a trust brand (Honda) and into unknown territory so I'm not mad.
The fix is easy....sell my Spyder and go running back to Honda.
I'm not giving up on my F3s just yet because I haven't had my 3rd failure....(3 and your out!)…..yet.

Ya know Road Kill I don't think it is a matter of anyone enjoying their break downs on a Spyder and I certainly can't speak to it as I don't own a Spyder. In fact today I stopped at the nearest Spyder dealer and looked at the left over RT's they have on sale. I like the grey dark version, but something in the back of my mind just won't let me pull the trigger and buy one while they are on sale. It could be your comments, which are quite vocal, or other issues I have read about. I am a confirmed BMW owner who came from Harley. I have had 5 BMW's and over 12 new Harleys before the Beemers. Almost every one of my bikes has at some point required going back to the shop for something, but only one broke down on me and left me stranded. That was a 2002 Road Glide that made it about 14 miles from the dealership before it broke down due to a bad stator. That Road Glide, although it was the nicest Harley I ever owned was also the last I would ever own. It listed for about 15K and after I got done putting another 5K into it to turn it into a Road Glide Ultra, which they didn't make back then, I tried to trade it in a year and a half later and could only get 14.5K on trade. Bye-Bye Harley along with their crap about 10 cents on every dollar back on accessories at trade-in time.

Went over to the Dark Side and bought a BMW 1200LT and switched to the K1600 series and they have made great strides in refining that bike since my first one in 2012. Unfortunately for me K1600's don't bring back a lot of trade-in value in my area, so switching to a Spyder RT is going to be a costly affair. The saving grace is that the sale price now offered on Spyder's makes up for some of the monetary shock. Even with the savings I am having a hard time convincing myself that a Spyder is a worthwhile purchase. I have read about the dreaded DESS issues and a few other glitches and actually making the switch is difficult for me. Reliability aside on a Spyder, the lack of horsepower concerns me as my K1600 pushes out quite a bit more, but I almost never use it which is rather sad. In retrospect though I have to ask myself if I really need that much horsepower at 67 years old? Part of me says yes and part says no, not anymore. But will I miss it on a Spyder? I don't know....decisions, decisions. Your posts certainly don't make my decisions any easier. So in some respects you have accomplished one of your underlying goals of keeping potential customers away from buying a Spyder.

I have a few more days to think this through and hopefully I will make the right call for me. From a personal standpoint though if I suffered two similar breakdowns on my K1600 I would certainly find a common thread as to what is taking place. If a drive belt pulley or bolts are breaking there has to be a reason and just replacing the parts and waiting for it to break again isn't repairing the underlying problem. So all I can say is good luck finding the real cause of your pulley problem and quite possibly you saved me from making a decision I may regret later on.

Rick H.

Chefex
10-16-2018, 09:03 AM
Love our Spyders have two, 2018 F3 limited, and 2018 RT. Traded in two for these, 2015 RT and 2016 RTS. Love em. Live in South Dakota, just waiting for BRP to install heaters so we can ride year round. LOL:roflblack::roflblack:

easysuper
10-16-2018, 12:52 PM
Love our Spyders have two, 2018 F3 limited, and 2018 RT. Traded in two for these, 2015 RT and 2016 RTS. Love em. Live in South Dakota, just waiting for BRP to install heaters so we can ride year round. LOL:roflblack::roflblack:

They did kind of install Heaters on the 2013's , my wife and I had two of them :roflblack: and we still were happy spyder owners, we switched to the 1340's be cause we wanted the better mileage and less maintenance. Like i said before, our riding has not been 100% trouble free but we have no fear of climbing on our RTLs and setting off on a 1 or 2 week trip.

Flanker
10-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Once I ignore the lack of a decent sized trunk, crummy cruiser riding position, 200+ HP, chain drive, 17" wheels with REAL independent braking systems, and dual mini guns it's really a pretty fun ride! :joke:

I have to admit the F3S is a better all around machine than my old 2012 RSS [excepting the trunk and riding position :(], and have enjoyed many hassle free miles on it this season.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-18-2018, 12:14 PM
i often get 'it looks fun to ride' & 'looks great'

Derren
01-18-2019, 07:33 AM
I agree with your point of view. I am fascinated with the spyder. I do agree that more often people will post negative comments then positive. But on the other side of the coin is if I have a question Like I would like to know if there are any major problems with the 2015 F3S as I am looking to purchase one and not dump a lot of cash on a problem child. A little concerned about the automatic transmission as I am not very familiar with them. I would like positive, neutral and negative comments so that I can make an educated decision. Taking into consideration that there are thousands of these out there. Thank you for your input